Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2016, 09:40   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Fitness Band/Smartwatch Thread

Picked up an Asus Zenwatch 2 last week to replace my Sony Smartwatch 3.

- The Asus looks much more formal with the metal bezel, leather strap vs the rubber sports design of the Sony.
- The Asus size is huge especially for slim wrists like mine.
- Battery life in the Asus is much much better than the Sony. Probably the OLED display vs the LCD of the Sony.
- The OLED display is far better than the relatively dull LCD display of the Sony.
- Sony has inbuilt GPS so if you're into running or cycling and you don't want to carry the phone, the Sony is the better option. The GPS drinks battery though so I always left it off.
- The Sony has better water resistance and is more abuse friendly. The Asus feels delicate in comparison.
- The Sony was snappier to use vs the Asus even though OS is same.
- The Sony has auto brightness display whereas the Asus doesn't.
- The Asus has a ton of extra apps and features. Remote camera which lets you start the Asus camera app on the phone and the watch works like a view finder. Really cool for photos.
- The Asus has an inbuilt speaker so you can talk to the watch. Volume is little low and voice has some jarring but sometimes it's useful to take the call on the watch if the phone is not around or in your pocket.
- The sony was a pain to charge as it had a regular micro USB port but behind a rubber cap which you could only open with your nails. The Asus has a magnetic charger but it's unidirectional.

Overall the Asus is a better watch and hopefully will get Android wear 2.0 soon.
Old 24th August 2016, 15:45   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
...I had got Fitbit alta as a gift for my brother,...
On the positive side.

My brother's fitbit Alta went into a hung state. Troubleshooting, workarounds, online support could not revive it.

But surprisingly, their US based customer support responded saying that they would like to replace the device. And they didn't even want him to ship the old device back to them as he is outside USA.

The mail said, write the case number of a piece of paper, cut both the straps, cut the charging cable, and send a pic of all these together in one picture.

he has gone ahead and done that... Hope they ship the promised replacement.

(Lets hope it isn't some prank that some distraught employee is trying to pull on his way out.... )
Old 1st September 2016, 15:56   #138
BHPian

I had been thinking of getting a smart watch/fitness band since a while. Was choosing between the Apple Watch, Pebble Time, Fitbit Alta & Blaze based on price, battery, functions etc. I got the Blaze finally, it seemed to check the right boxes for me. I've been using the Blaze since 3 months now. The device has grown on me. Battery life is good. It last 5 days, even 6-7 if I don't use notifications all the time. The Fitbit app is damn neat. It's a nifty little motivator for the daily routine life or at the gym or even while going for a walk. It works really well with my iPhone 6S.

Honestly, it felt like a semi-smart watch-it has alerts only for calls, sms, iMessage, calender. However, there is a software update out this September where it's going to integrate alerts and notifications for other third party apps like whatsapp, email, facebook, instagram etc. At the moment it only has 4 clock faces. I believe the update is going to add 5 more.

Charging it is a pain, but I've gotten used to it.

Overall, reasonably happy.
Old 11th September 2016, 15:23   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
On the positive side.

My brother's fitbit Alta went into a hung state. Troubleshooting, workarounds, online support could not revive it.

But surprisingly, their US based customer support responded saying that they would like to replace the device. And they didn't even want him to ship the old device back to them as he is outside USA.

The mail said, write the case number of a piece of paper, cut both the straps, cut the charging cable, and send a pic of all these together in one picture.

he has gone ahead and done that... Hope they ship the promised replacement.

(Lets hope it isn't some prank that some distraught employee is trying to pull on his way out.... )
Got two replacements of a Logitech Harmony remote bought in US this way. Shipment to India was also free.
Old 11th September 2016, 16:01   #140
BHPian

Hi, query to any one using a device with a heart rate monitor. What is the "resting heart rate" that it usually shows for you? I have a fitbit charge HR and it shows my "resting heart rate" to be in the 57 to 58 range.
Old 11th September 2016, 22:13   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Hi, query to any one using a device with a heart rate monitor. What is the "resting heart rate" that it usually shows for you? I have a fitbit charge HR and it shows my "resting heart rate" to be in the 57 to 58 range.
I am also using the charge HR and it shows my resting HR in the 60-65 range.
Old 12th September 2016, 07:35   #142
BHPian

Quote:
My resting heartbeat when I was in slightly better shape was 68-69 as of 3-4 months ago. It's in the mid/high 70's now. I use a Fitbit Blaze.
Old 13th September 2016, 21:42   #143
BHPian

Thanks for the replies. I am motivated to exercise now :-). By the way, I do not do any exercises other than trying to get around 7000 steps per day. Is my relatively low resting heart rate an anomaly? or is it just natural variance?

Last edited by MinivanDriver : 13th September 2016 at 21:44.
Old 14th September 2016, 01:52   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Purchased the Titan JUXT Pro today.

This is my first smart watch and so will post in detail after testing for a few days.
Wow! Something different. How is the display clarity? It doesn't seem to be on par with lets say Moto 360 V1/V2 and other smart watches out there

Would love to read your review on this. Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 03:04   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I am motivated to exercise now :-). By the way, I do not do any exercises other than trying to get around 7000 steps per day. Is my relatively low resting heart rate an anomaly? or is it just natural variance?
You can look up normal resting heart rate charts which correspond to your age and activity levels. 57-58 bpm generally corresponds to being in good shape and reasonably fit!

Last edited by promit : 14th September 2016 at 03:04. Reason: typo
Old 25th September 2016, 00:35   #146
BHPian

Will there be a version 2 of Mi Band?

I am looking for a device to accurately record my walks and provide info on calories expended.
Old 25th September 2016, 02:43   #147
BHPian

As a matter of fact, yes. Xiaomi has launched the Mi Band 2 in India for Rs. 1999. The sale is at 12 PM on 27th Sept. Check out http://www.mi.com/in/miband2/ for more info.

Best of Luck.
Old 25th September 2016, 22:00   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your resting heart rate indeed is pretty low. But usually that is the sign of a super fit athlete. Not the other way round, as you seem to think. In fact regular exercise will bring that down further. The resting heart beat rate will increase with age.

The advantage of low resting heart rate is that you can train more intensely.
Old 26th September 2016, 09:53   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post

I got the Blaze finally, it seemed to check the right boxes for me.

Overall, reasonably happy.
Hello Promit,

Does this have a GPS tracker that can record your run/walk route?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Friends, Can I request you to suggest a band with GPS tracker to me.

Last edited by skdking : 26th September 2016 at 10:13.
Old 26th September 2016, 10:03   #150
BHPian

I have a MiFit and a Vivofit2. MiFit for it's simplicity, does what it promises. The Vivofit being nearly 10 times the price of the MiFit, is terrible. The LED broke after 4 months of mild usage and the customer care wants me to ship it to Singapore for a replacement!!! The Garmin connect software is clunky and a pain to sync and most of the times it is a a hit or a miss and have to try multiple times to sync it. MiFit has a simple interface and I never had to struggle to sync or view the data I wanted. Moreover, it syncs with Google Fit so more information. Vivofit is simply a case of over engineering by Garmin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks