Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2015, 22:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: What Apps are installed on your smartphone?

After seeing the app market grow, I've begun to rely more on sites. Eg-> I uninstalled the Team BHP app after seeing the mobile skin. (No shame as the smart phone skin is brilliant.)

My most used:
1. Nova Launcher Prime: Much better than the stock MIUI. Best part, I bought it at Rs. 15
2. Inbox by Google: For those who want more than the stock Gmail App
3. Firefox: It has a wonderful reading mode.
4. Chrome (Duh!)
5. Twitter: News in less than 160 characters. (Yay!)
6. Amazon/Flipkart: Just for those mobile deals. Else I use my comp. Strictly no window (or screen) shopping
7. 9GAG/Instagram: When I'm too bored
8. ESPNCricinfo: When Cricket is a religion. Try the lean back mode in the App
9. Maps: When I'm lost
10. Ola/Uber: For those railway station rides
11. Screen off and lock: For locking my phone by pressing home. Requires Nova launcher too. Needed when you have a 5.5 " Phablet. PM if you want to use it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nofflock&hl=en
12. Zomato: Primarily used when I'm on vacation
13. Merriam Webster's dictionary
14. Last but not the least: WhatsApp

Downloading Gravity Screen and Speedometer GPS as I'm typing this post. Need something like gravity screen as it'll make life easier when I don't have to stretch for my power key.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 23rd October 2015 at 22:38.
Old 23rd October 2015, 22:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

I am the worst user of a smart phone if its judged based on apps.

I have rooting apps, titanium back up, Cricbuzz skype, Flickr, GPX Viewer(Most used apps for my weekend rides), Atomas, MobileLite(Kingston), MX player, Tadpoles Parent, Chromecast, Call Recording, Gopro, TowelRoot, Shadow Fight, Super SU, Move Certs, Pedometer, Vector

No Whats app, FB or Twitter
Old 24th October 2015, 08:22   #48
J.Ravi

Here are mine in the order of usage:

1. WhatsApp

2. Axis Mobile

3. State Bank Anywhere

4. IMDb

5. DigiHUDPro

6. NaviMaps

7. Google Maps

8. HERE Maps

9. Mahindra Blue Sense

10. Ookla Speed Test

11. The Hindu [English]

12. The Hindu [Tamil]

13. Dinamalar

14. One India News

15. 60 Seconds Now

16. Business Line

17. NDTV News

18. Amazon

19. Flipkart

20. Jabong

21. AliExpress

22. Make My Trip

23. Trip Advisor

24. Team-BHP [only desktop version via Chrome]

25. Autocar India

26. CarWale

27. Snapdeal

28. goibibo

29. NSDL

30. Moneycontrol

31. Kotak Stock Trader

32. Deccan Herald

33. CameraMX

34. OYO Rooms

35. Mahindra With You Hamesha

36. You Tube

37. Vikatan

38. SPI Cinemas

39. Facebook

Last edited by J.Ravi : 24th October 2015 at 08:24.

Old 24th October 2015, 09:22   #49
BHPian

- Skype - didnt see mentioned very often. I use that to have video confs with the inlaws for them to see the little ones. Very difficult to get the little ones to be seated in a single place.
- JustDial - dont use that often, tend to end up using their site before I leave home.
- Bookmyshow - some deals on movie tickets
- inshorts - consolidated news.
- UC Browser - better than chrome
- mutorrent - for downloading movies when I am on the go.
I now tend to avoid donwloading/upgrading apps which require unnecessary permissions. Like why does BookMyshow or inshorts need to know my identity or need access to my photos. With Android M coming along, this should become a little simpler.
Uninstalled most/all games, tend to get bored with them soon.
Old 24th October 2015, 10:37   #50
BHPian

Some great apps listed

Most of the apps I have are already in here except one (and the one I find very useful) - Airdroid. Makes transferring files into and out of the phone a breeze!
Old 24th October 2015, 11:55   #51

I have tons of apps installed on my Oneplus One. But the most used and helpful ones are (recommended)-
-Moneyview- This app automatically tracks your expenses from the SMSs we get from banks on transactions. It links bank accounts to the expense and segregates the type of expense too. A very useful app.

-Splitwise- A Savior for those who frequently share bills. A simple app with a great UI and tons of options. Just add a bill, select who paid how much and divide the bill with ease. And all of it is synced through accounts. Very useful for people sharing flats,rides, grocery etc.

-Kodi- This is the Netflix you always wanted. It is even available for PC/Mac/Tablets. And what more? It is Free, OpenSource and yes, it works in India. (PM me if you need to know the steps for configuring it)

-MusicMatch- For those who want lyrics while listening/singing. It merges with your default music player and shows lyrics for any song (both english and hindi). It even auto-scrolls based on the line.

Other apps that I use almost everyday-
FoodPanda- My favorite one.
PepperTap- Everything delivered within 2 hours and free delivery on just ₹250/-. (Bigbasket has min. 1200/-)
PayTM Wallet- For easy transfer of Money. Just send by selecting your contacts phone number.
RentOnGo- For renting motorcycles,scooters,bikes.(Much needed in Pune)
Lync 2013- For office use.
Adblock Plus- Blocks annoying ads on the browser. But needs to run on the background all the time.
Dineout- For restaurant Reservations
Google Keep- Synced Notes. Very useful for multiple devices.

Adding to these, there are the usual ones- 8fact, 9chat, 9gag, Amazon, Ampere(for charging report), Antutu, ASCI(Advertising standards council of India)*For complaints on misleading ads*, Big Basket, Bla Bla cars, EasyCabs(for Myles self drive), Ebay, Facebook, Flatchat, Flipkart, Freecharge, Goibibo, Here maps, Housing, Instagram, IRCTC,LinkedIn, Meme Generator, Microsoft Office, MxPlayer, Night Mode, Ola, Oyo, PayZApp(hdfc), RedBus, Ryde by Ibibo, Speedtest, SBI Freedom, Team-BHP, Uber, Whatsapp, WifiKill, Xender, Youtube, Zomato, Zoomcars .
Old 24th October 2015, 14:14   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
1. Nova Launcher Prime: Much better than the stock MIUI. Best part, I bought it at Rs. 15
If you aren't really fond of MIUI, (and yes, it does feel terrible in places) you could install a lollipop based custom ROM like CM12.1. They are real great, you know. Check out XDA forums for more info.
Quote:
8. ESPNCricinfo: When Cricket is a religion. Try the lean back mode in the App
Couldn't agree more. It's an amazing website, with an excellent app to support it. The content of all types is simply brilliant.
Quote:
11. Screen off and lock: For locking my phone by pressing home. Requires Nova launcher too.
If I'm not wrong, there's an option in Nova launcher Prime somewhere to double tap the homescreen to sleep. You might wanna look for that. Or, as I'd mentioned earlier, in CM12.1, there's a neat 'double tap status bar to sleep' option too. Nifty, I should say. Either way, I don't see the need for a separate third party app for such a simple functionality. But if it's just a small Nova addon (like Tesla unread) and stays quiet and does its job, great.

Last edited by mukul32 : 24th October 2015 at 14:18.
Old 24th October 2015, 18:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
If you aren't really fond of MIUI, (and yes, it does feel terrible in places) you could install a lollipop based custom ROM like CM12.1. They are real great, you know. Check out XDA forums for more info.
Is CM 12.1 there for redmi note 4g? Because AFAIK, it has some bugs like the camera being too slow, wifi switching off intermittently and 3g not working sometimes. If there's a good rom with (very) minor bugs, I'm willing to try it out.

Quote:
If I'm not wrong, there's an option in Nova launcher Prime somewhere to double tap the homescreen to sleep.
Nope. Haven't found that option in Nova. The Screen off and lock app helps a lot and is non-intrusive.

The number of nifty touches like that in CM just blows me away. I want a bug-free (or a phone with minor bugs) phone though.
Old 24th October 2015, 19:07   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Or, as I'd mentioned earlier, in CM12.1, there's a neat 'double tap status bar to sleep' option too. Nifty, I should say. Either way, I don't see the need for a separate third party app for such a simple functionality. But if it's just a small Nova addon (like Tesla unread) and stays quiet and does its job, great.
Ever since I had CM and that functionality, I carried it over to my Note 2 (running a modified custom stock ROM, cuz I needed the S-Pen to work perfectly) using something from Xposed. Also had the SwipeBack functionality through there. And then, once I got Activator, carried it over to my iPhone. I rarely touch the power button on my phones.
Old 24th October 2015, 20:41   #55
BHPian

I am using a Galaxy S5 for a year and half now.

These apps reside on my screens consistently

The ones I frequently use;

Car Dashdroid (easy access to apps/contacts/map while on the move)
Google Maps (when I'm lost, or if I don't want to get lost)
GMail, WhatsApp, Telegram (my contact with the outsideworld)
Torch (for those dark moments)
Daily Expense Manager (for keeping a tab on the Gandhis)
Peel Smart Remote (for when your family has hijacked all the remotes at home)
Team-BHP (when updates can't wait till you get home)

Others;

Car Dekho (quick reference when your friends/relatives/neighbours
come to you for car advice)
Volkswagen Service (useful app for service and car functions/messages)
Know Volvo (Basic car manual. Although not available for my model year, almost all features / functions same)
TuneIn (unlimited online radio )
Poweramp (well rounded music player thats' worthy of it's name)
Walk Band (when you actually have enough time to record your own track)
Real Guitar (when you're in the mood and the real thing isn't around)
S Note, Memo ( for quick notes or just plain scribbling / sketching)
Facebook (for selfishly seeing other's updates while not taking the
time to update yours. And for the all important birthday
reminders)
Google Translate ( when the human translator is not around )

And, in the golden words of Yule Brynner, " Etcetera, Etcetera, Etcetera !"
(From the classic movie, The King and I, 1956)

Old 24th October 2015, 22:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Here's what I have on my android which is separate from the usual:
- 9gag: Funny images, esp GIFs / memes. If you haven't heard of it, about time you did.
- Alarm Clock extreme - for people who run a sleep deficit and often need to wake up after short naps - you can solve graded math problems to unlock the screen.
- News Republic: A news aggregator site when you want to read detailed news, not just headlines. It makes it easy for me to follow particular topics (vs an epaper format) similar to Google News.
- AskLaila: Local search app, from about a decade back. They were kings in NCR, but JustDial and later google leapfrogged them.
- Cam Scanner (paid) -Making high res scanned versions of documents. Includes nifty tools to straighten your photos and correct color.
- Cam Card (paid) - Same as above, except incorporates OCR technology to read business cards and pre-fill contacts. Critical for those who network extensively.
- ClearTrip!
- Cloudmagic - GMail replacement. I get overwhelmed by work emails and its worthwhile to use a separate app for gmail.
- Galaxy Charging Current Lite
- Heart Rate Pro - Measures your heart rate. Pro version enables you to see your historical readings over time.
- India Against Spam - To report all the spammers.
- Perfectly Clear - Image retouchup software to brighten up / retouching images for sharing on social media.
- Podcast addict - To listen to podcasts
- Procapture / SnapCamera - camera replacement apps that focus better and cleaner than CAM Cmaera.
- Tapatalk - To browse forums
- Tripomatic - Curated trip itineraries including travel time. Really helps you plan your trips way better than tripadvisor which is overcrowded. Go via product hunt to get 3 month premium service.
- UTS by CRIS) - Unreserved Ticketing System - use for e-platform ticket.
- Wynk music - Airtel's music service.
- Webex to attend meetings via phone!
- Call / SMS Backup and restore (2 apps) - Useful before installing a new ROM.
Old 25th October 2015, 00:49   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Is CM 12.1 there for redmi note 4g? Because AFAIK, it has some bugs like the camera being too slow, wifi switching off intermittently and 3g not working sometimes. If there's a good rom with (very) minor bugs, I'm willing to try it out.
The number of nifty touches like that in CM just blows me away. I want a bug-free (or a phone with minor bugs) phone though.
I hunted around XDA a bit, and I found this ROM. It says 'Stable' in the description, and everything major seems to be working perfectly apart from FM Radio (you need a third party app to use it). There was initially a problem with video recording, but there is a separate flashable fix for that too. In all, seems pretty neat, considering the standards of custom ROMs for the not-very-popular devices. Shouldn't cause any major hiccups, I would think.

And the best part, you'd become free to tell all your non-geeky friends that you just bought yourself a Xiaomi Nexus!!

Last edited by mukul32 : 25th October 2015 at 00:51.
Old 25th October 2015, 15:36   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hunted around XDA a bit, and I found this ROM.
Thanks a lot. Since the time between my last post and this, I got a friend to help me install XenonHD. Works like a dream. I'll consider this later. Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 22:17   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Wow! Great thread.

Gmail: Can anyone suggest a better email app?

Cheers,
Neel
Hi Neel,

If you are looking for an app to MANAGE your gmail and other mail accounts - try cloudmagic.
I have used many mail servers and this is by far the best, I have come across.

Hope this helps
Old 27th October 2015, 12:23   #60
BHPian

Hi

I am trying to pose a question, even though it may sound silly or otherwise.
Which is the app available for synchronizing apps on iphone with ipad in same Apple ID. Some people say that it should happen automatically, if the login is same. I recently got an ipad and was trying sync with my iphone.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by Wanderers : 27th October 2015 at 12:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks