Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2015, 17:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Google Maps Offline - Now improved!

This feature is probably useful when you lose connection enroute for sometime but not useful as a complete offline option like Sygic.
I just tried searching for a route to Trichy from my place in offline mode and it only gives me the longer route (370Km) while in online mode it gives the regular route which is 305 Km from my place. This will be a concern if we are not online at all.

Last edited by pacman2881 : 21st November 2015 at 17:37.
Old 21st November 2015, 19:30   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
The latest update enables the following

1. Improved offline management. ...
2. Navigation & Search in offline mode. ...
3. Increased offline download area. ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
This feature is probably useful when you lose connection enroute for sometime ...
Well with new version, GM works pretty much like HERE maps (or any other offline options) for the area for which the map is downloaded.
This definitely used to be a shortcoming with GM app earlier, as you would never know how reliable and/or complete the cached version of maps would be for certain usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Now these 2 were certainly not there earlier for sure and must say it will give a tough time to PNDs in the market today. ...
Have been trying out in the city for last couple of days, and the experience/instructions are looking better then HERE.
This was bound to happen as GMs are fastest updated maps with huge nos. of POIs.
So there instructions (turns, diversions, etc.) are more precise, this would definitely make things difficult for most navigation devices.

Additionally, if you do keep data connection on, you have live traffic updates as well (should be helpful in city conditions).
Does any other device/app provide it in India?
Old 21st November 2015, 20:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Have been trying out in the city for last couple of days, and the experience/instructions are looking better then HERE.
This was bound to happen as GMs are fastest updated maps with huge nos. of POIs.
So there instructions (turns, diversions, etc.) are more precise, this would definitely make things difficult for most navigation devices.

Additionally, if you do keep data connection on, you have live traffic updates as well (should be helpful in city conditions).
Does any other device/app provide it in India?
I believe Here maps too provide traffic updates if we have data connection. Not sure if it is as accurate as GMaps though.
Also one more thing I found recently is that Gmaps is also offering lane guidance. i.e which lane to stick to for the upcoming turn or for going straight on. I havent been using it much recently so do not know when it was enabled. I dont think Here maps offers it.
Old 21st November 2015, 20:52   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
... Gmaps is also offering lane guidance. i.e which lane to stick to for the upcoming turn or for going straight on.
Oh .. yes, that's one of the things that I felt was adding to precision of instructions. Wasn't sure whether it was not there earlier.
I have been trying on routes in the city which I am anyway aware, but if their with increased reliability we may take better calls depending upon traffic data, etc.
Old 21st November 2015, 21:35   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Tried it today. Nothing great beyond what I remember from the last iteration. I expected loads more detail on PoIs etc but it was just the same.

Not expected from Google! You need to raise the bar EVERY time. Try harder please!
Old 21st November 2015, 21:55   #36
BHPian

Any idea of the procedure to download the Offline Maps data to SD card instead of the internal phone memory?
Old 21st November 2015, 23:39   #37
BHPian

Downloaded bangalore maps @200MB and liked the option of selecting the map for a cropped area.Atleast no need of data plan now on traveling outside india, just wish Google can evolve to the iterative update method.

I found here maps really good for offline navigation around europe, but the best offline navigation map I would wish for these players to evolve like, was route66 navigation. Amazing precision with poi's and even speed limits and perfect lane guidance when, last used it around the east coast.
Old 22nd November 2015, 05:27   #38
BHPian

Wow this is good news. However, I guess Here Maps is still ahead when it comes to offline map navigation. After using it on the highways and in the city, HERE Maps I feel is perfect for route navigation, however, when it comes to pin pointing a particular restaurant or a not so popular spot, then Google Maps excels. Hence I end up using HERE maps to reach the area and then switching over to Google maps to reach the spot in that area.

MaSh
Old 22nd November 2015, 07:47   #39
BHPian

Can anyone please let me know how to do this? I once had to travel 80 km or so from where I stay and got the route but I think it didn't allow me to download the offline maps for that.

P.S: Never mind. Just saw the first post mentioned that in detail.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 22nd November 2015 at 07:50.
Old 22nd November 2015, 11:28   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
: People travelling to Malaysia (or similar places where offline Youtube videos viewing is restricted) with downloaded offline videos from India will be surprised to see that all downloaded videos are vanished as soon as Youtube is connected to a local wifi/data network there. The videos become visible once they are back to India!
When I visited Langkawi and KL in July, Google did not have any offline maps for those places. I could however use Here maps on my Lumia phone with decent accuracy. However, the voice navigation was missing on Here maps in offline mode, but I could still make my way.
Old 22nd November 2015, 12:41   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
... the voice navigation was missing on Here maps in offline mode
Voice navigation works well for me in India wherever I have used, not sure the problem you mentioned is specific to Malaysian usage or anything to do with settings/option in app.
Old 22nd November 2015, 16:43   #42
BHPian

What's the point if these downloaded maps expire in 30days? Re-downloading 400mb every month isn't ideal
Old 22nd November 2015, 19:55   #43
BHPian

Well, there is another navigation app- HERE, by Nokia LLC. You can download India maps here too, statewise. Don't think there is any expiry. But you would be prompted for map updates, i assume. I downloaded the Punjab/Chandigah state map and peformed some offline route searches. I got accurate directions. With GPS switched ON, this will also give you on the fly step by step directions. Not bad.
Old 23rd November 2015, 01:01   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
What's the point if these downloaded maps expire in 30days
I suppose the point is that Google Maps do get updated at frequent intervals, so kind of forcing us to update.
It would definitely be better to allow us retain maps till the user wants, and update them according to our convenience/requirement.
Old 23rd November 2015, 07:42   #45
BHPian

Instead of downloading maps for a particular area, I would like to just define a route on Google Maps App/Portal and then have it synced as "offline map", that will take care of any planned travel thru iffy 3G coverage areas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks