Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2006, 14:08   #16
BHPian

In my surveys and exp SONY rules TV land.... the SONY trinitron is one technolgy which is still unmatched.... prices nowadays are also not that high as they used to be...... I have been using Sony tv's since 1982...
Currently have a 34 inch DRC wega... beats all the plasmas and LCD's that are out there.....
Old 15th September 2006, 14:59   #17
BHPian

I dont see these DRC models in sonyindia.co.in.

How much do they really cost??

Quote:
I am tempted to ask why not 29?
I live in rental house. and might move around once every 1,2 year. Also even the 25 BPL used to give me mild head ache on prolonged viewing. So for all these reasons i wanted to keep the size to 25. Dosnt DRC come in 25inch???

I will check out the philips and samsung over the week end.
Old 15th September 2006, 17:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Su-47 has got a valid point. HDTV is quite a long distance away, the broadcast, i mean. there is no use in paying more for a HDTV enabled TV, which will not have any better PQ than the other TVs. the best PQ is already available in SONY WEGA. then there are the others. but nothing to beat the Sony Wega.

Even i heard that the price of these CRT TVs are going to drop. so better to hold on to that BPL 25" for a little while, which is what i am doing. me too have a BPL 25, BIR. bought in 1995 for 28k. Priceless now, LOL.
Old 17th September 2006, 20:44   #19
fb1
BHPian

go for sony wega and get a good altec and lansing surround sound speaker kit and it should rock
Old 18th September 2006, 01:25   #20
Team-BHP Support

about a couple of years back when i checked i was really impressed by the Onida and its DVMC technology or some such. The difference was particularly noticeable at the edges. While most others had the colors of the channel logos bleeding to some extent the Onida showed it sharp and clear.

That was then. Now Onida is going through some bad times and is looking for buyers. In such a scenario probably the best option remains a Sony. Everything about it is really class apart though the brand commands a premium. Check it out. Here I must add something... When we purchased a Sony 2 years back it suffered a complete black out and then remained so for over 20 days. The service staff was feeding us some c&b story till we wrote a strong letter to the company. That set things right and it was promptly repaired. The problem was in a faulty yoke which had to be replaced. Later it turned out that an entire batch of yoke was faulty and Sony was replacing them on a case to case basis.

Still, I would say a Sony...
Old 18th September 2006, 10:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn

I live in rental house. and might move around once every 1,2 year. Also even the 25 BPL used to give me mild head ache on prolonged viewing. So for all these reasons i wanted to keep the size to 25. Dosnt DRC come in 25inch???

They show DRC 29", which I checked in flesh on casual visits:
1 Yr Back: 60K
6-9 months Back: 50K
Now: 40K

At this price, it looks awesome!

But, it may mean that they are planning to move off the high-end CRT range to promote BRAVIA LCDs (And as somebody said the prices of LCDs may fall down soon!)

Besides, at 25" the high-resolution systems (DRC for example) may not make a very huge difference to precieved quality, unless you sit really close to the TV. The headache may be related to flickering that is related to interlaced scan. Perhaps a 100-Hz 25" TV would help you (if you can find one).

Good luck man! And, do let us know how was your weekend investigation and your decision of course!
Old 18th September 2006, 13:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

I bought Sony 29 inch DRC Wega in Feb-2004 for 55K in Bangalore. Amazing picture quality, lots of relatives were asking whether is was imported. Now they have learnt about progressive scan.

But I want something bigger, 50 inch or above. Currently looking at DLP projection TVs from samsung, anybody knows the visual difference between L6HX and L7HX series? Why so much price difference, the specs look very similar.
Old 18th September 2006, 14:27   #23
BHPian

I went around cmh and 100 ft road. But none of the shops had these drc, dine models. Some of the sales guys even lost intrest, like if i am really there to buy a tv, after i started asking them about these models!!! Guess i have to check with the sony showroom.

There is also one more angle I want to add to this topic. I will most probably get a DTH installed. How much difference will DTH service will make to these DRC/DINe models? I believe that DTH quality will be much better than cable guys o/p. So how much of difference in picture quality will I get moving from 1 to 2 to 3???

1. cable guy + non DRC
2. DTH + non DRC
3. DTH + DRC

Also this DRC/DINe will make difference even with non DVD quality i/p?? I am asking some basic questions because, I got introduced to these DRC and DINes only after I started this thread.
Old 18th September 2006, 14:36   #24
BHPian

Partial Answers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Currently looking at DLP projection TVs from samsung, anybody knows the visual difference between L6HX and L7HX series? Why so much price difference, the specs look very similar.
If you are talking about: SP50L7HX Vs.SP-50L6HX
I also checked the specs only thing different was contrast ratio. Heard somewhere that TI (who invented the DLP technology) have different DLP chips with different number of reflective mirrors (HD2+, HD3 for example. Cant explain it here, google it and you fill find better explanations)

May be the expensive one uses a different chip (and thats where higher contrast ratio is coming from). But finding out which one (6X or 7X) uses which chip would be quite a task. Good luck!

Unrelated question: Why projection TV and not a DLP projector? Bigger size, no bulk! What do you say?
Old 19th September 2006, 00:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth
SONY WEGA DRC rules, cannot beat the picture quality, the audio aint too god, I have a sony 29, 21 and 34 and swear by it, you could probably go for a home theatre set up and improve the audio quality
Panasonic make the best televisions.
Old 19th September 2006, 11:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I bought Sony 29 inch DRC Wega in Feb-2004 for 55K in Bangalore. Amazing picture quality, lots of relatives were asking whether is was imported. Now they have learnt about progressive scan.

But I want something bigger, 50 inch or above. Currently looking at DLP projection TVs from samsung, anybody knows the visual difference between L6HX and L7HX series? Why so much price difference, the specs look very similar.
hmmm...but why do you want projection tv when you could have a MM projector instead. and aren't projection tvs dull & huge ? Oh yes, i forgot, you live in the coast, so you probably have a lot of space, eh ??? lol

Last edited by esteem_lover : 19th September 2006 at 12:09.
Old 19th September 2006, 12:02   #27
kdb
BHPian

I just saw Samsung slim fit 32 inch wide Tv (with Dolby surround and HD Ready features).. man i feel its a gr8 Tv to buy at 43K .. cause if i compare it with LCD of 32 inch .. which is costing me around 75K .. i feel this samsung TV (slimfit 32 inch) is a deal

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av...094561p,00.htm
Old 19th September 2006, 15:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn

All the more reason to get a bigger television. With small screens you have to concentrate more and you tend to get eye strain, this can lead to headaches (try watching a film on a Sony PSP and see how your eyes strain). A larger screen size may be better for your eyes.

Last edited by bigman : 19th September 2006 at 15:14.
Old 19th September 2006, 16:34   #29
rkg
Senior - BHPian

as far as i remember sony india stopped assembling/producing the colour Tv in india around year and half back as it was uneconomical. sony is actually charging a premium for a product which they invented some 20 years back( trinitron picture tube) while rest of the world moved ahead sony is resting on its past laurels. in market capitalization terms it was over taken by both LG and samsun last year itself.
one more thing is once the waraanty is over( usually one year) it costs a bomb to get a sony set repaired unlike other companies.
now a days the TV from other companies are equally good and u get them at a fraction of what sony is asking. feature wise any Tv is better than sony for rupee u spend. picture quality depends a lot on input quality( cable/DTH) one can buy a amplifier for 1000 bucks and get their home cable through it. it improves the picture quality by leaps and bounds.
iam also a diehard sony fan. but on a practical terms and in reality u get more from other firms.
due to these reasons( sony two years back was not willing to reduce the prices saying it will effect brand image) sales have fallen drastically. that is one of the main reason many sales guys get bored when one enquires for sony.
one more thing is the margin the dealers get in sony are less than other companies. sony has strange rules with regard to their products.the guy who sells sony TV, audio, video can not sell high end video camera's. we have practically faced the problem in bangalore( the high end video camera costs only 1 Lakh. the firm is big dealer having many branches in bangalore. but they did not supply him the video camera as he is not authorised to sell. a call from our organization to sony we found out this truth.then sony obliged as we are central govt organization and released a piece to dealer. they warned as we have to get quotes from them only or from persons named by them.

Last edited by rkg : 19th September 2006 at 16:38.
Old 19th September 2006, 16:40   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I have something to say, all from personal experience.

I'm no longer a fan of Sony televisions. If I was buying a television, I'd choose between a Toshiba, Panasonic and Philips Matchline.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks