Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2006, 16:44   #31
Team-BHP Support

....and Samsung. They make terrific TV's IMO.
Old 19th September 2006, 17:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I have something to say, all from personal experience.

I'm no longer a fan of Sony televisions. If I was buying a television, I'd choose between a Toshiba, Panasonic and Philips Matchline.
I would to add here some of my experience...

I had a sony 29 inch tv for the last 4 year in which it got repiared 4 times....this is what sony tv quality has become....

I would say go for toshiba and philips they make good Tv.....
Old 19th September 2006, 17:58   #33

Samsung Over Sony

I own a Samsung (21") & Sony (21"). The Sony was bought with a very high expectations that the Wega is path breaking technology but it was not really that great especially the 8 grand price difference between Samsung and Sony. My suggestion, pick up a Samsung, budget model with all the features you want so you wont feel bad if you plan to change it in next couple of years.. also the quality is almost at par (except for the black levels). IMHO at 25" screen size it is good to have a great performance TV but should not be a decision maker visavis money spent! (Ofcourse the performance becomes vital if it is a 42" plasma and much more prominent if it is a 100" projection!!)

Also, consider the option of an LCD cos sooner or later the move will happen and these days 20" starts at 20K range. You get assured brightness and maximum space savings and great connectivity.
Old 19th September 2006, 17:58   #34
BHPian

Sony is the best, i got a WEGA 21" for 14.5K, though expensive....it has woofer too!
Old 20th September 2006, 12:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Currently I Have A Toshiba Flat 25" And 14" Phillips Flat
But Plannibg To Buy A Panel From Loewe
Old 20th September 2006, 15:44   #36
BHPian

HI,
Brought a SAMSUNG 29" flat screen color TV..
great picture quality and sound..

I think its better than a sony...
Old 20th September 2006, 16:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Brought a SAMSUNG 29" flat screen color TV..
great picture quality and sound..
How much did it work out to??
Old 20th September 2006, 17:53   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
I had a sony 29 inch tv for the last 4 year in which it got repiared 4 times....this is what sony tv quality has become....
Very correct, moreover, they charge 4 times for the components(ICs).
Video IC for my Sony Triniton costed me Rs940. Same thing in other TV just costs Rs250( TV mechanic told that)
Old 21st September 2006, 14:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
How much did it work out to??
list price was 18K+..

i exchanged my old home theater(remember those AKAI systems, with 6 speakers..first ones in indian market..),,
got 4 k for that..

finally ended up paying 13 K for the new TV...

Regards,
Hemant
Old 25th September 2006, 10:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47
They show DRC 29", which I checked in flesh on casual visits:
1 Yr Back: 60K
6-9 months Back: 50K
Now: 40K

At this price, it looks awesome!

Good luck man! And, do let us know how was your weekend investigation and your decision of course!
Su47,
I am quite not able to catch any DRC models at 29 any where. Sony show room too had only 34inch. For that matter any 100Ghz are very difficult to spot.

Checked out the panasonic... they seems to be getting some limited quantity of 100Ghz HDtv from malasyia this week. But he was quoting only 30k. I will be checking on **this model** some time by wednesday. If this dosnt work out, will be settling for a normal 25 TV.

Also was looking out on LCD. Samsung 20 inch are available at 28k and 26 at 45k. But the pic quality is not as good as the CRTs. esp when there is some fast moving obj apears, there are too many blocks on the screen. Unless plasma comes down to sub-50k price range, i guess it is better to stick with CRTs.
Old 25th September 2006, 10:42   #41
BHPian

I was around the newly opened e-zone in koramangla, so thought lemme check the TVs there. I didnt see the 29" DRC wega there also. Dont know the reason! Could it be that Sony doesn't want anybody to buy a CRT TV (at much cheaper price) which takes BRAVIA head-on in picture quality?

BTW, I did see an ad by Adishwar's selling philips pixel-plus at 24K or so. (In Bangalore Times of Saturday). That is definitely a 100Hz TV. Check that out!

I have no idea about Panasonic! So can't comment about it. Just make sure that they have enough service expertise if things go wrong with the "limited edition import".

About LCD TVs: Is it blockiness (or ghosting)? Anyway check the response time of the TV you want to buy. Some useful information about LCDs:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7610_7-5084364-3.html

P.S.: TV scan rates are measured in Hz not GHz. Is it too much of computing on high performance machines?
Old 26th September 2006, 00:09   #42

Are u looking for a flat conventional tv or an lcd. if its a flat tv, then go go for toshiba or sony.. cos they make the best picture tubes.. u said u like the quality of bpl. the tubes they use come from sanyo and sanyo makes pic tubes in collaboration with toshiba. try one of these. if thats a lcd, then no bargain, definitely try the samsung or lg cos they have the best contrast and brightness ration among the rest. now sony got a feature called wega engine, the same function is seen in samsung also which is called dnie technology and for lg its xd engine. samsung makes the best lcd and worlds top sales in lcd.
Old 27th September 2006, 14:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

i went window shopping yesterday & checked out a few 29" ers.

1. Samsung
2. LG
3. Sansui
4. Sony
5. TCL
6. Phillips
7. Toshiba

from the above, the cheapest was 15.5k for a samsung & a LG. but picture quality wise, i felt the best was Phillips by a yard. SONY's presentation in their own showroom is fantastic. they play specially shot captions which are incredibly colorful & fantastic & anyone would fall for that. but when you see the sony alongwith the other TVs with the Cable Tv on, then you really get to see that there is nothing great in the wega. Phillips looked better than the wega, really. samsung,lg etc were in the lower league. but phillips & sony stood out & phillips was better of the 2.
The price

Sony Basic Model - 21.3 K
Phillips Basic - 16.5 K
Sony with Woofer (500w) - 29.5 K
Phillips with Woofer (1000w) - 22.5 K

I am yet to see the panasonic. i will do that soon & let you know guys. but as of now, the phillips is in the front for VFM. cheers

Last edited by esteem_lover : 27th September 2006 at 14:16.
Old 30th September 2006, 02:25   #44
BHPian

You are spot on Esteem Lover.I think Philips picture quality is very good.Plus their models look quite slick.We used to have a Philips 21 inch tv 10 years back,but had to sell it off since the picture tube went kaput in 3 years! Bad piece maybe,but the picture quality was brilliant.Plus I remember the TV mechanic telling me that a Philips tv has very complicated circuitry,probably since it is European(Philips is from Holland) and only a few mechanics can handle them.Maybe the scene has changed after all these years.Toshiba is another brand to look at.By the way,is this Philips Flat tv the one with ambilight?

Last edited by roms : 30th September 2006 at 02:40.
Old 30th September 2006, 21:14   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms
but had to sell it off since the picture tube went kaput in 3 years! Bad piece maybe,
...this is exactly the reason why i am sceptical about philips. Check this model.

They are seling this for 25k. A pixel plus 100hz for 25k is a great deal... when sony is selling the same spec for 40. But this is not the first time i am hearing negative about the philips relaiablity. Any one else owning philips let me know ur view on this... and also the A.s.s.

Last edited by gkrishn : 30th September 2006 at 21:22.

Most Viewed