Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2006, 12:45   #91
Senior - BHPian

madbullram, dont get too upset. onida is not that bad. try to put the bad experience behind you & enjoy the bigger picture.
Old 20th March 2007, 15:12   #92
Senior - BHPian

FOLKS!!..

My two precocious daughters (the younger one takes after Phoolan!!) have been having a "who'll change the channels" competetion on my poor 8 year old 25" Philips TV - net result - they have been through THREE remotes - and then one of them wisen'd upto the fact that "direct" is better - and all the buttons/keys on the TV itself RIP'd themselves! SO what do we do now?... well we are discovering that toothpicks have other uses!!!

Anyways - so instead of repairing an already aged set I thought why not upgrade to a larger, more latest TV.

Plasma/LCD is ruled out under the circumstances .. So a regular 29/34" CRT should do! I am on a regular cable diet and do watch a lot of DVD movies .

Meri Pyaas BHUJAAOOOO GuRU log!!

Last edited by kb100 : 20th March 2007 at 15:16.
Old 20th March 2007, 15:14   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
FOLKS!!..

My two percocious daughters (the younger one takes after Phoolan!!) have been having a "who'll change the channels" competetion on my poor 8 year old 25" Philips TV - net result - they have been through THREE remotes - and then one of them wisen'd upto the fact that "direct" is better - and all the buttons/keys on the TV itself RIP'd themselves! SO what do we do now?... well we are discovering that toothpicks have other uses!!!

Anyways - so instead of repairing an already aged set I thought why not upgrade to a larger, more latest TV.

Plasma/LCD is ruled out under the circumstances .. So a regular 29/34" CRT should do! I am on a regular cable diet and do watch a lot of DVD movies .

Meri Pyaas BHUJAAOOOO GuRU log!!
Go for Samsung .. they may not have the best of sound ( read woofers and boom effects ) but the picture is very good ..
.. and good luck with your new TV
Old 20th March 2007, 15:22   #94
Senior - BHPian

Get the Panasonic/Phillips 29" 100Hz Tv. Your kids wont have eye strain either. I got my phillips for 23.5k, Panasonic is around 28k.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 20th March 2007 at 15:23.
Old 20th March 2007, 15:37   #95
Senior - BHPian

Any model numbers?..

During one of my attemtps at repairing the damage, I happened to open my TV up. I discovered that the picture tube of my Philips was made in FRANCE!!.. Probably one reason it is still going strong!... I am told that some models of Philips use THOMSUN picture tubes - which apparently are the best in the world.

Last couple of days worth of asking around has also given me the following inputs / raised more questions.

1. Never believe what you see in showrooms - they always tune the set in such a way to sell whatever then NEED to sell that month (depending on schemes/margins etc).

2. To always check for two things darken the whole thing and look for the BLACKEST black... and then second to set everything at 50% and look for the best contrast.

3. Apparently Pixel Plus 3 has been launched in Europe?.. is this any good ?.. has this landed on our shores yet?... is it worth waiting for it?

4. Wega DRC VS. Pixel Plus 2 VS. DNIe - your choice pls .. and why

5. Toshiba & Panasonic.. YES? NO? ... but where????

6. WHo is the A.S.S. King here?

Last edited by kb100 : 20th March 2007 at 15:40.
Old 20th March 2007, 15:55   #96
Senior - BHPian

Samsung has excellent A.S.S For picture clarity, Phillips & Panasonic are hard to beat. Of course the showrooms make sure they put these TVs in remote corners with very poor settings. I dont think Wega DRC is around anymore. It has been replaced with DNR & retails at 37k.
Here is the link
Sony India - like no other

The equivalent in philips for 25k mrp.

29PT8836/94 TV large 25" - 29" TV (conventional) TV Philips
Old 20th March 2007, 16:00   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
4. Wega DRC VS. Pixel Plus 2 VS. DNIe - your choice pls .. and why

5. Toshiba & Panasonic.. YES? NO? ... but where????

6. WHo is the A.S.S. King here?
With 2 kids who can pick out the buttons on the TV itseld (after destroy the remote) why bother. Let them beat up the old TV. Get yourself a portable DVD player and keep it out of their hands.
Old 20th March 2007, 17:18   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
With 2 kids who can pick out the buttons on the TV itseld (after destroy the remote) why bother. Let them beat up the old TV. Get yourself a portable DVD player and keep it out of their hands.

I know Navin... I Know.. Did think of that myself!.. buuuuuutttt

1. Its been 8 yrs.. This is a good excuse to upgrade...

2. Have been wanting something with component input - mine doesnt... Hence the DVD angle is left a lil wanting..

LAstly the flicker and the kids eyes issues - considering the time they spend int front of these things!... BTW they like ONLY MTV and Channel V and such.... seems like I am the only one who watches Animal Planet, NGC etc!!
Old 20th March 2007, 17:35   #99
BHPian

I too have the Philips 29PT8836....it is worth every penny... picture clarity is just awesome... There is no "boom" in sound, but anyway it is muted since I use it with my Home theater....

PS: One thing you should note: the High definition input is through YpBpr and not through HDMI. The HD DVDs and Blue Ray discs output High Definition only in HDMI (another of those shady standards).... and most of the players upconvert the current dvd signal to 1080p but that is also on HDMI port.
There are few players still available which convert on component...so unless you plan to buy that one, there is not much use of High definition.

For 22-23K you cannot ask for more...
Old 20th March 2007, 17:43   #100
BHPian

Samsung Slim 74 Cm for 20 K is a good offer, I bought mine after trading of my 15 year old Sony Trinitron which developed Colour IC problem. Costed me 16 k with Trade off.
Old 21st March 2007, 16:57   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Samsung has excellent A.S.S For picture clarity, Phillips & Panasonic are hard to beat. Of course the showrooms make sure they put these TVs in remote corners with very poor settings. I dont think Wega DRC is around anymore. It has been replaced with DNR & retails at 37k.
Here is the link
Sony India - like no other

The equivalent in philips for 25k mrp.

29PT8836/94 TV large 25" - 29" TV (conventional) TV Philips
Well... Have narrowed down my choices to these two... Now the confusion ... I am unable to find any place here where I can run a side-by-side comparison... Anyone who has - comments please... other than the price which one would you chose and why??...
Old 21st March 2007, 17:03   #102
Senior - BHPian

The same samsung without slim is just 13.5k. you do not save that much space by buying a slim, rather get a LCD.
Old 21st March 2007, 17:07   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well... Have narrowed down my choices to these two... Now the confusion ... I am unable to find any place here where I can run a side-by-side comparison... Anyone who has - comments please... other than the price which one would you chose and why??...

I had done extensive 'research' when i got my TV & i can tell you that there is nothing different between the 2 except the price. I think the Philips is VFM whereas the Sony is for snob value only. I dont see what extra is given for the 12k that you pay more for the sony.

P.S. do not expect any great audio from neither of these sets. In fact, i was terribly disappointed with my philips initially, but got over it very soon.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 21st March 2007 at 17:08.
Old 21st March 2007, 17:33   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say go for 29" LG with a 1200 watts output. It has speakers on the side panels as well as on the top. Pretty decent picture quality and great boom. I bought mine for 22K with a 25" TV exchange about 3 years ago.

LG products as a whole are real VFM and they are extremely popular in TV's, Washing Machines, Fridges ( especially the high-end is classy) and nobody can beat an LG airconditioners ( read home usage ones).
Old 21st March 2007, 18:31   #105
Senior - BHPian

Actually I was pretty unhappy with my LG AC... and I find the "BOOM BOX" on TV concept a little silly - (IMHO ONLY!!) - all of them sound rather tinny ... hook it upto even the cheapest stereo it'll sound much better ... IN any case I have my HT set up to take care of sound duties!!... (SAM SAM - Where art thou?? ) .. I want TV for PICTURE QUALITY first, second and third!!

ON my way to eyeball the Philips...

Most Viewed