Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2006, 20:31   #1
BHPian

Sony home theatre

Hi guys myself and dad had been to sony world today we are planning to buy a sony home theatre system and we liked this model its a projection tv KP-FR53M94(RS 99,990)http://www.sonyindia.co.in/sonyindia...ber=KP-FR53M94 and the speakers we want to gofor DAV-DZ720(RS 29,990)http://www.sonyindia.co.in/sonyindia...mber=DAV-DZ720 or DAV-DZ520K(RS 24,990)http://www.sonyindia.co.in/sonyindia...ber=DAV-DZ520K i would like to if these mentioned models are good..all your info will be useful for me before i decide on anything
Old 17th September 2006, 23:44   #2
BHPian

Instead of looking at a projection TV, why don't you look at a Plasma screen or even better an LCD projector like this one...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/sanyo_plv_z2.htm

Combine this with a DTH or CAS setup, you can directly hook up the Projector the without even requiring a seperate TV Tuner card.
Old 18th September 2006, 10:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan
Hi guys myself and dad had been to sony world today we are planning to buy a sony home theatre system and we liked this model its a projection tv KP-FR53M94(RS 99,990)http://www.sonyindia.co.in/sonyindia...ber=KP-FR53M94 and the speakers we want to gofor DAV-DZ720(RS 29,990)http://www.sonyindia.co.in/sonyindia...mber=DAV-DZ720 or DAV-DZ520K(RS 24,990)http://www.sonyindia.co.in/sonyindia...ber=DAV-DZ520K i would like to if these mentioned models are good..all your info will be useful for me before i decide on anything
At the risk of offending sony fans: Sony is not great when it comes to audio and HT systems. Pleaseeeee look at others like: Onkyo, Denon and JBL before you make a decision. I remember seeing an ad for Onkyo as well as Denon selling entry-level systems at that kind of price!

And, their entry level systems will blow you away if you liked sony (with a high probability). Anyway, the best way is to listen and decide for yourself.

And, I will comment about the projection TVs a little later!
Old 18th September 2006, 12:31   #4
BHPian

Projection TV or not..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47
Keeping my promise, I am back!

First, on the question of Projector Vs. Projection TV:
- Would you use your TV for exclusively watching movies? Or for watching TV also (saas-bahu soaps.. you know)
* If you use it for only movies, then look for a good HD projector man! You can get much bigger screen size, and it is compact too!
* If the intended use is to watch normal TV also, you could consider Projection TV. (As projector lamp-life is limited, say 3000 hrs and it would go dim very soon). But Beware! seeing saas-bahu soaps on a bigger screen may have a bigger impact on ladies. You have to decide if that is good or bad.

Both the projectors as well as projection TVs use either LCD or DLP based techologies for creating the images. DLP (digital light processing) based systems usually have better image quality. Make sure you do a google search on "dlp vs lcd" before taking the plunge!
Old 19th September 2006, 00:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At the risk of offending sony fans: Sony is not great when it comes to audio and HT systems. Pleaseeeee look at others like: Onkyo, Denon and JBL before you make a decision. I remember seeing an ad for Onkyo as well as Denon selling entry-level systems at that kind of price!

And, their entry level systems will blow you away if you liked sony (with a high probability). Anyway, the best way is to listen and decide for yourself.

Onkyo have never had a very good image in the UK. The brands to go for when it comes to HTIB systems are Denon and Yamaha. I would tend to go for a Pioneer HTIB system than a Sony one. With Sony you are paying more just for the name.
Old 19th September 2006, 09:46   #6
BHPian

Qn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
Onkyo have never had a very good image in the UK.
No offence, but how does that matter to someone buying a system in India? Hyundai also doesn't have a good image in UK, does that make their cars bad for indian consumers?

Looking at the price point, integrating a Yamaha-system seems a little difficult. Besides, I have never heard a lot of good things about Yamaha speakers. (Ya! A/V recievers are good!)

Anyway, my intention was to let the user know of a wider choice (to the buyer, of course), who was probably buying a sony system just going by the brand name!
Old 19th September 2006, 10:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remember seeing an ad for Onkyo as well as Denon selling entry-level systems at that kind of price!

Onkyo's lowest was around 35-40k (a slightly better one would be close to 50k) when I was looking for one a couple of months back.....they have nothing in the 24-29k range.

I went for a Sony
Old 19th September 2006, 10:40   #8
BHPian

Qn..

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Onkyo's lowest was around 35-40k (a slightly better one would be close to 50k)
Was that including the DVD player or just for the A/V Reciever + Speakers?
Old 19th September 2006, 10:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha has entry level HTs at around 35000. This may not have DVD player.
Old 19th September 2006, 11:21   #10
Team-BHP Support

Yamaha has a entry level Ht at 19K you can get a DVD player for less than 4K. For 30K Sony has a DZ550 HTib with a DVD player.

Last edited by navin : 19th September 2006 at 11:26.
Old 19th September 2006, 11:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Yamaha has a entry level Ht at 19K you can get a DVD player for less than 4K. For 30K Sony has a DZ550 HTib with a DVD player.
Aha! Finally, this thread has caught the attention of the audio-guru. (Perhaps I will learn a thing or two here, that is, if the discussion continues.) But, the guy who asked the question is nowhere in sight!
Old 19th September 2006, 11:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was that including the DVD player or just for the A/V Reciever + Speakers?
Including the DVD player if I'm not mistaken

Last edited by suman : 19th September 2006 at 11:48.
Old 19th September 2006, 15:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No offence, but how does that matter to someone buying a system in India? Hyundai also doesn't have a good image in UK, does that make their cars bad for indian consumers?

Looking at the price point, integrating a Yamaha-system seems a little difficult. Besides, I have never heard a lot of good things about Yamaha speakers. (Ya! A/V recievers are good!)

Anyway, my intention was to let the user know of a wider choice (to the buyer, of course), who was probably buying a sony system just going by the brand name!
If the price difference is not too much then why buy second rate Onkyo systems when you get get a better setup for a similar price. Onkyo systems failed to take off in the UK due to quality control, even the systems supplied for testing to various AV magazines used to be faulty. So yes it is all relevant to buying in India unless Onkyo have steeped up the quality control for the Indian market. The receivers sold in India are made in the same factories that the UK Onkyos were sourced from. So it is all relevant.

Out of all the one box solutions the Yamaha ones have great speakers. They are much better than the ones bundled with Sony etc. I guess everyone has their prefrences. I myself have a Sony setup but have since auditioned Yamaha setups and found they are better than my Sony setup.

Last edited by bigman : 19th September 2006 at 15:07.
Old 19th September 2006, 15:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
If the price difference is not too much then why buy second rate Onkyo systems when you get get a better setup for a similar price. Onkyo systems failed to take off in the UK due to quality control, even the systems supplied for testing to various AV magazines used to be faulty. So yes it is all relevant to buying in India unless Onkyo have steeped up the quality control for the Indian market. The receivers sold in India are made in the same factories that the UK Onkyos were sourced from. So it is all relevant.
You just said "not very good image in UK" in an earlier post. There is no way for anyone to figure out why they have this bad-image. The explanation above educates all of us that it is bad-quality-control which earned them the bad image. Understood!

Though, it is difficult to associate bad QC with a japanese-company, there will be exceptions. Lets not get into an argument over this!
Old 19th September 2006, 16:36   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello,

Sorry to be so direct, but the sony systems sounded rather poor when I heard them. There are many options available that are far, far superior.
As far as onkyo is concerned, i respect them well for their AV recievers, which are very good. Nothing else is even worth mentioning, especially speakers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks