Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2016, 17:05   #1
Team-BHP Support

Solution - "Searching for GPS" problem in Google Maps

In recent times, in some Android smartphones (especially in a few cheaper ones), Google Maps navigation does not work at all to the chagrin of many users. When you open the app, Google maps shows your exact location - but when you try to navigate to a destination, it says "Searching for GPS" and gets stuck there.

Do a Google search for "Searching for GPS Android" on Google and you will understand how widespread the problem is -

Solution - "Searching for GPS" problem in Google Maps-20160827.jpg.png

There are about 20 or 30 different "solutions" for this problem, as claimed by many users. After lots of trial and error, only the following solutions worked:

1st Solution:

Drive with the car windows open! This is not mentioned anywhere - this is a solution that I discovered accidently. Looks like some smartphones have "weak" GPS signal catching ability.

2nd Solution:

Since the above is not feasible all the time, this solution worked for me - uninstalling Google Maps updates.

a) Go to Google Play and type "Google Maps"

b) Click on UNINSTALL tab. Note that this will uninstall only the updates, not the Google Maps since it is a System app.

c) Make sure this app does not "auto update" by clicking on top right hand corner, and deselecting the option.

Solution - "Searching for GPS" problem in Google Maps-screenshot_20160827170042.jpg

d) Now your Google Maps turn by turn navigation should work (atleast in my case, it does)

Essentially, this issue is because of updated Google Maps. Remove it (and make sure it does not update automatically), and it should work fine.

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th August 2016 at 17:07.
Old 27th August 2016, 18:19   #2
BHPian

re: Solution - "Searching for GPS" problem in Google Maps

Thanks for this thread. I too had this problem in Moto X play and in my case the car was driven with its windows open when I was using the Google Map.

I agree with your second solution as I had un-installed the recent update of Google Map on my Samsung Tab and voila the speed and loading of terrain improved tremendously. Not tried un-installing the Google Map update from Moto X Play.

Probably it has got something to do with the recent update and hope those programmers take time from their heavenly indulgents and come up with the solution.
Old 27th August 2016, 19:52   #3
BANNED

Thanks Smartcat for the thread.

I use a OnePlus One and I was facing the same issue after I updated to the 9.33.1 (#933102124).

Currently on 9.26.1 (#926101124).

The "Searching for GPS" hasn't appeared on the 9.26.1 version whereas it continuously irritating me when I has the 9.33.1 version.
Old 27th August 2016, 21:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

I use a OnePlus One and I was facing the same issue after I updated to the 9.33.1 (#933102124).

Currently on 9.26.1 (#926101124).

The "Searching for GPS" hasn't appeared on the 9.26.1 version whereas it continuously irritating me when I has the 9.33.1 version.
Anurag, these are android versions right? How do I "downgrade" to 9.26.1?
Old 27th August 2016, 21:54   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Anurag, these are android versions right? How do I "downgrade" to 9.26.1?
Yes buddy. These are the android versions. My OnePlus is running on Android 6.0.1.

I just uninstalled the update. Same as you pointed in the opening post. Just click on the Uninstall button. It'll downgrade.
Old 4th September 2016, 15:30   #6
BHPian

Re: Solution - "Searching for GPS" problem in Google Maps

Thanks. I too was facin this issue on my Asus Zenfone Max. The 2nd method has helped solve my problem.
Old 6th September 2016, 20:05   #7
BHPian

Thanks so much, have been facing this roble for sometime now on one plus one as well as Samsung!
Old 6th September 2016, 20:22   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I have never faced GPS locking issues in my Phones (Samsung Galaxy S4 and now Galaxy Note 4) till date. They lock up almost in the next 3 seconds soon after I turn on my GPS/Location.

However, I have seen whenever we are traveling in groups that few of my other travel mates have faced issues with GPS Locking up with other brands, and One Plus included who had to literally take his hand out holding the phone to lock the GPS once. This was one of the reasons I was too finicky on the reviews about GPS locks on many of these phones. I really hate to wait when a GPS Lock is so essential to make you move ahead after it has detected that you are on the right road and not one the one parallel to it.

At times even turning GPS/Location On-Off also makes a difference as GPS starts trying to locate a satellite to lock itself.

I still recall 2011 when I exchanged my wife Galaxy (I cant even recall but was a very early version) only because I wanted to try Sygic on that and GPS was never locking. Upon searching on Google, I realised it was a known issue with that Model and one had to install a quick fix for that from Play store that Boosted the GPS signals and it did work!

So at times, I blame these problems directly with the Phone itself than anything else but at the same time. I have always had the luck with both my cars to have a front quarter panel glass on which I mount a holder and place the phone. So they are really "closer" to the external environment :-).

And yes, since I always roll up and drive, I have not lost the phones till now at a traffic signal.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th September 2016 at 20:23.
Old 16th September 2016, 09:11   #9

Thank you very much, smartcat. My phone was taking too much time to lock and then frequent disconnections also. Uninstalling the updates was a perfect fix.
Old 16th September 2016, 10:08   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Thanks. I too was facing this issue on my Asus Zenfone Max. The 2nd method has helped solve my problem.
My Asus Zenfone did an auto-update last week. Now it no longer "searches for gps", even with updated Google Maps. Try doing a system update.

Solution - "Searching for GPS" problem in Google Maps-screenshot_20160916100600.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks