Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2016, 17:41   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
I said "What they offer for the price, over similar phones". Seems you get offended, trust me, that's not my intent. On a lighter note, what's the point of having an expensive phone which "lasts" when there is so much temptation to buy the latest one every year I still have my Nokia 6600, works as good as new (obsolete now, and of no use. but kept it for sentimental reasons I lost the "patli pin wala charger" too)

Haha no not at all , no offense taken. I understand your point, and hence I mentioned in my post, that the flagship phones are nearly the same price. Apple might have a couple of variants above that price range, agreed, but the price range is pretty much standard.

Case in point for Note 7, the price for which was in the range of $830-880. iPhone 7 plus has price of $769, $869 and $969.

So that is one variant above the price range, which is fine I reckon and for those who actually want that much storage.

Well I've held on to my phone for 3 years now, and will be passing it on to my mother, as I really do need a memory upgrade. Hence the decision to go for a new one now.

When the 6 and 6s series came out, I did not think that they offered too much over what I already had. So that kind of rationale is still in people's minds.

Anyway, we are going way OT. This thread is not for this discussion.
Old 14th October 2016, 18:55   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: R.I.P. Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Whatever is the issue and solution this has been a food for trollers and anti samsung group. Heights of trolling is this video. Wonderfully done though.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:50   #63
BHPian

Apart from this exploding issue, I think Samsung is a trustworthy brand. May be they have gone little overboard in their attempt to reduce the costs but compared to those numerous Chinese brands, competing for their share of the pie, Samsung is better. May be we can give them benefit of doubt in this case. They will bounce back with better R&D and safer phones. I would more readily put a Samsung in my pocket than some other Chinese cell phone.
Old 17th October 2016, 07:05   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
I would more readily put a Samsung in my pocket than some other Chinese cell phone.
Huawei is very good. Google trusted Huawei with their Nexus 6P which looks better than the new pixel XL phone, and has front facing awesome speakers.
Old 17th October 2016, 10:39   #65
BHPian

I guess there is one advantage with Samsung which may eventually contain their losses to half or even lesser. They have alternate flagship brands (S7, S7 Edge) which they have been pitching aggressively since the Note 7 debacle. And they have only 6 months to contain before the next generation is launched.

Imagine what would have been the case in case Note 7 was the only flagship. They would have had virtually one year without any latest top end device. In such "long" time interval, people could have grown accustomed to other brands. There are so many companies which rely on single flagship branding like HTC, Apple, Sony (Sony is bit confusing off late) which may learn from Note 7 sags and change their stance in future.
Old 17th October 2016, 10:45   #66
BHPian

With Samsung sunk I guess the most preferred alternative choice would be the Google phone. I don't see any other contender rising fast.
Old 17th October 2016, 12:12   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
With Samsung sunk I guess the most preferred alternative choice would be the Google phone. I don't see any other contender rising fast.
Do you really think Samsung is gone with this single issue? It's a mistake in one product and this is a small issue to destroy such a huge company with wide portfolio.

Companies are even doing fraud. Don't u see any VW, Audi or other VG-group cars selling even now?

Btw, I never looked at Note as the flagship phone. It's an oversized phablet. S7 and S7 can be considered as phones Just my opinion. I know that there is no clear boundary between phone & phablet

Last edited by Midas : 17th October 2016 at 12:15.
Old 17th October 2016, 13:55   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Iphone just dont make a cut. no SD card support, no USB OTG, no file sharing through bluetooth and wi-fi.. well, no thanks.
With 64, 128 and now 256 GB, I don't think majority will need an SD card.

There are many apps which help you share files, across phones without any data.

I didn't get the USB OTG...

Any other reasons for not making the cut?
Old 17th October 2016, 14:12   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
With 64, 128 and now 256 GB, I don't think majority will need an SD card.

There are many apps which help you share files, across phones without any data.

I didn't get the USB OTG...

Any other reasons for not making the cut?
It's not about GB, it's about flexibility. Plug in a microSD into a phone, copy files and then plug it into another phone, or a laptop, or a smart TV. Same is with USB OTG. plug in a pendrive to your phone and you can watch movies/videos/music or documents. No need to fill the phone's memory. A 16 GB phone memory is enough (and you dont have to pay x times of a standard pendrive/microSD for a 64 GB phone). No need to install any software too for sharing. No need of a wi-fi or a fat data plan for uploading and saving over cloud drives.
Old 21st October 2016, 10:24   #70
Senior - BHPian

Well the demise of this prospective phone forced me to go and get the S7 Edge recently and I am just so pleased to be back on the Samsung flagship after tinkering with Chinese for the past few years, after last owning a Note 2. And I have no qualms in declaring it the best android phone in the world, currently, after having a close dekko at both the Pixel and the iPhone 7. The benefit for us consumers is that the Note 7 fiasco led Samsung to become more pro-active as well as competitive with the S7 range, which will now remain it's mainstay for at least the coming next 6 months. And you can land yourself this cutting edge tech at just 41k for the S7 and 49 for the Edge and on top of that at 0% EMI, which works to just around to 2.5k bucks per month. Quite a sweet deal with the relevant Pixel plus costing around 70k. Awaiting the arrival of the Gear VR at the throwaway price of 1999, in the meanwhile.

R.I.P. Samsung Galaxy Note 7-samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-purchased-15102016.jpg

Cheers to Samsung for this...

Last edited by dkaile : 21st October 2016 at 10:34.
Old 21st October 2016, 11:03   #71
BHPian

Now, there are a couple of incidents where iPhone 7 has caught fire and caused severe damage to the owner in one incident (burnt the interiors of car). Apple is said to be investigating the case.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/32960624...vehicle/#page1
Old 22nd October 2016, 22:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post

Btw, I never looked at Note as the flagship phone. It's an oversized phablet. S7 and S7 can be considered as phones Just my opinion. I know that there is no clear boundary between phone & phablet
Size is just a matter of getting used to.
I've been a Note series user for almost 5 years now. Note 1 and 5.

The critical purchase criteria when getting the Note1 was 'Can I sit comfortably with the phone in my front denim pocket?' and the phone passed this test. Had it failed the front pocket sitting test, I would have dismissed it as a phablet.

The Note1 was wider although the screen size was just 5.3 inches.
The Note5 on the other hand has a much convenient for factor. The width has been reduced by just the right amount, making it very comfortable to hold and the larger 5.7 inch screen is just fabulous.

Once you get accustomed to the large form factor, it gets very difficult to switch to a smaller one.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 22nd October 2016 at 22:25.
Old 26th October 2016, 11:13   #73
BHPian

After Galaxy Note 7, Samsung Galaxy S7 edge smartphones are now catching fire

Quote:
The Galaxy Note 7 is gone, but the aftermaths of the two months long fiasco continue to haunt Samsung, and it seems the nightmare isn't going to end anytime soon. In last one week, multiple cases of the Galaxy S7 edge smartphone catching fire have been reported.

Problems for Samsung seem unceasing. After the issue of exploding Galaxy Note 7 escalated to levels where Samsung had to discontinue the production and sales of the smartphone altogether, and recall the ones it sold, the problem looks like it’s travelling to Samsung’s other smartphones. Even when the Note 7 combustion reports were high on news, we heard quite a few incidents of the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge units catching fire, but they were mostly ignored considering them trifling, and as incidents of probable mishandling rather than an actual issue. Also, these issues were quite spaced out in time to be considered worrisome, however, recently a number of cases of the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge catching fire have been reported, and it has begun to raise concern.

The latest case is of a Galaxy S7 edge unit catching fire in Canada. As reported by Android Headlines, a user by the name Elisha Loewen posted a picture of his fired up Galaxy S7 edge on Google+. He said that his phone caught fire while he was on his way back home from work. “I smelled something burning and thought it was my engine then I notice smoke coming from my console under my radio where I keep my phone. I picked it up and it was extremely hot, then threw it out the car window. I pulled over and covered it in snow to snuff the flame,” he wrote. Fortunately, the incident caused no injury to the user. Loewen approached his carrier Bell after the incident, where he was asked to directly deal with Samsung about the issue. He has sent the images of the exploded phone to Samsung and is awaiting a response.

Then, just a couple of days ago, PhoneArena reported a similar incident in the US. The publication reported that its source who works at a “big US wireless carrier” informed them of a user who came with a burnt up Galaxy S7 edge. According to the user, the phone was on charge all night, using the OEM charger and suspected overcharging as the reason of the explosion. However, what’s really interesting and unfortunate to note here is, that the Galaxy S7 Edge that exploded in this case, was the one the user had recently received after turning the Galaxy Note 7 in.

Last month, there was another case, where a US-based construction worker, Daniel Ramirez’s two-month-old Samsung Galaxy S7 edge smartphone exploded when it was in his pockets. Ramirez first heard a high-pitched whistling from his pockets, followed by a loud bang. The burning device not only burnt Ramirez’s clothes, but also his fingertips when he tried to remove it from his pockets. Since the incident, Ramirez had multiple skin grafts to hide the burnt skin, and had to go through rehab as well. Ramirez sued Samsung in New Jersey, and his suit included photos of his burnt clothes, and burnt skin on his hands and legs.

Days before that, there was another incident reported where, Sarah Crockett, a UK-based teacher, narrowly escaped injury after her Galaxy S7 smartphone blew up in a busy cafe. Crockett was sitting at a cafe with her husband and four-year-old son. “It suddenly just expanded in my hand and got really, really hot. I dropped it on the table. Within a few seconds there was smoke everywhere and I jumped out of the way. The whole thing was just barbecued.” Crockett shared a CCTV footage of the explosion in the cage. And it is important to note here that this or the case of Daniel Ramirez were not even cases of overcharged smartphones. ALSO READ: The fault in Samsung’s Galaxy

Although, Samsung back then had released a statement saying, “There are no known safety issues with Galaxy S7 devices. This issue is currently being investigated and our customer services team is in contact with the customer regarding the matter.” However, the recurring incidents seem like Samsung might need to review the cases. Also, the reason why this issue may need immediate attention is because post the Note 7 debacle, Samsung has been incessantly pushing out and promoting the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge smartphones. For many users in countries like India, where the Note 7 never got officially launched, who placed pre-orders for the smartphone, Samsung offered users to the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge as replacement. And reportedly, 90 percent of customers returning the Note 7 chose to replace it for free with the S7 edge. Considering that users are still willing to plant their trust in Samsung by opting for the Galaxy S7 smartphones, the South Korean company needs to be more serious about these incidents.
http://www.bgr.in/news/after-galaxy-...catching-fire/

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 26th October 2016 at 11:14.
Old 26th October 2016, 12:16   #74
Senior - BHPian

Re: After Galaxy Note 7, Samsung Galaxy S7 edge smartphones are now catching fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
S7 has been in the market for more than 6 months now. This news of the S7 catching fire has come up ONLY after the Note 7 debacle. Coincidence?
Old 7th November 2016, 10:06   #75
BHPian

Reliance-LYF joins the party...

https://twitter.com/tanvirsadiq/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analy...et-345422.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks