Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 28th November 2017, 17:38   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Google Home vs Amazon Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
The power requirement is unlike what power banks can output. I think it's a 9v USB power adapter (check the details though)
No,its a normal 5v usb power just like every other usb charger in the world. Just remember to use the 2Amp port at least. The provided adapter is a 9W charger (5V x 1.8A)
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2017, 08:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

Changed my Echo Dot voice to English (UK). Sounds much more refined now in my humble opinion. Added benefit is that it forces my kids to speak much more clearly for it to understand what is being asked.
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2017, 09:48   #63
Team-BHP Support

Amazon is targeting rural India with the Echo.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...2800754_1.html
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2017, 13:03   #64
BHPian

Returned my Echo today. The integrated assistant is great and it will keep getting better, I have no doubts over it.

For me 3 issues (1) No Battery (2) No USB Charger; but more so (3) Poor Sound Quality for device whose list price is 10k (although being sold at 7k)

I even paired the Echo with my dedicated Denon Home Audio System and the Aux output simply wasn't good enough when compared to say, it being connected to Chromecast Audio. I will buy the Dot, as the ecosystem is very exciting and I am extremely positive that the next iteration of Echo devices would include a battery backup plus better sound.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 15:12   #65
BHPian

Guys, got an invite for Echo Dot - Should I or Shouldn't I?
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 15:25   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Guys, got an invite for Echo Dot - Should I or Shouldn't I?
The Echo as a device is really good.

It all depends if it will be useful in your life. Do you want to connect the Echo Dot to the music system in your house and control the songs through your voice? Do you have smart home devices which you want to control? Do you want a voice assistant?

If the answer(s) is yes, then it will be worth it.
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 15:33   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
The Echo as a device is really good.
Thanks, answers inline

Quote:
Do you want to connect the Echo Dot to the music system in your house and control the songs through your voice?
Yes, that is what I thought after looking at its 3.5mm audio jack (which is sadly missing on the Google Home)

Quote:
Do you have smart home devices which you want to control?
As of now no, but may be in the future if in a affordable price tag

Quote:
Do you want a voice assistant?
Son and better half love to play with Siri, so why not have it has a standalone device?
Especially like the story reading ability of Dot with which my son would get benefited (specifically on pronunciation)
Old 30th November 2017, 18:16   #68
BHPian

Let me tell my Echo Story. I am in Germany and I have been using Echo since July this year. I am using it in Bedroom. My bedroom tube light has smart switch for it. It is chinese make sonoff. Enthusiastically I started with Echo. I installed all possible skills to check the smartness in the device. I also have Xiaomi Vacuum Robot, integrated with echo.

1. Smart Light Switch is not working as expected so I stopped using it for the purpose.
2. Turning on Robot by hand is more easy than attempting with Echo. Echo always takes few tries to understand exact command.
3. All the skills so far are useless. Feels good only for one time use. Skills like stories, jokes are pretty boring.
4. Preparing shopping list is not that useful. You have to know English names of all items to work with it. And building Indian Grocery shopping list is a ultimate challenge.
5. Calendars synched but not much useful
6. Playing music or radio online here, I have not found option to listen hindi/marathi songs.

The only use I have now is, Setting daily morning Alarm and Occasional music over bluetooth.

I find voice commands is a tedious way of controlling things specially if it needs many attempts.

I do not have experience with google home device but I feel that it is better device when I see Google Assistance feature in Android Phones. It works really well on phone at least compared to Echo.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 30th November 2017 at 18:19.
sushantr5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 13:15   #69
Senior - BHPian

Clash of Mega-Titans : Amazon vs Google

Amazon stops selling Chromecast. Google takes out YouTube from Amazon devices.

http://www.news18.com/news/tech/goog...t-1596091.html
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 15:48   #70
BHPian

Finally got hold of the Echo Dot and in the process of enabling all available skills.

More than me, my son was very eager on his arrival and later his conversations with it.

One thing is for sure whether I am liking it or not, my sons vocabulary would definite improve
Old 14th December 2017, 11:24   #71
BHPian

I too bought the echo dot yesterday. I had an invite few weeks back that had expired. I asked for the invite this monday, the invite arrived wednesday. Ordered on wednesday, the device arrived thursday.

I already have a Bose SL3, so have paired echo dot with it. It's in a central place and I don't plan to move it. It can be heard from most places in my house. Also I plan to put it on the same UPS as my router, so no inbuilt battery is not an issue.

I had read that you can pair echo dot with fire tv stick for voice controlling the latter. I was unable to pair the two. So, today checked with help center, the feature is not yet available. It should be available in the near future, though timeline is not known.

I am still in the initial phases and have only enabled music related skills. Initial impressions are positive. It can hear and understand our accent from across the room.

You can't really gauge how much is the Indian content on Amazon Music, but it seems limited. Enabled Saavn and things were better, but you would need subscription for high quality (320kbps mp3) streaming. It seems to be limited to 128kbps on the non-subscription version.

Also tried setting reminders and the likes. "Alexa, remind me to call xyz in 30 minutes". It pauses music and reminds you "call xyz" at the specified time. The reminder also appears on phone via Alexa app notifications.

I will explore and add more skills this weekend. Everyone in the house, including me are excited. Let see how this pans out.
pnredkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2017, 11:36   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
I will explore and add more skills this weekend. Everyone in the house, including me are excited. Let see how this pans out.
This part should be true for most of our families. Especially elders and children's for whom this piece is exciting, surprising and fun.

On a lighter note, wife was talking about Alexa on phone, Dot woke up, gathered bits and pieces of the conversation, placed a order on Amazon (It was a book OCA Java SE Programmer, unsure on how and why this was picked up in the conversation ). Me and her were aware only after receiving SMS notifications. Fortunately, COD was the default payment mode and hence no monetary damage.

Lucky, have now set a passcode for any voice purchases through the Alexa app.
Old 14th December 2017, 13:05   #73
BHPian

Quote:
This part should be true for most of our families. Especially elders and children's for whom this piece is exciting, surprising and fun.
Yes. And children can come up with the weirdest of questions

Quote:
Lucky, have now set a passcode for any voice purchases through the Alexa app.
I think this is a must for everyone using echo products.
pnredkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 20:55   #74
Senior - BHPian

Installed my new Home Minis around my house and first reaction is negative compared to Echo Dot (ED)

Cons:
1. Comparatively worse sound quality
2. Needed 99/month Prime Music subscription
3. Looks are frankly very conservative
4. Mikes are inferior to the ED

Pros:
1. Ridiculously easy setup process
2. Seamless lag-less group playing of multiple speakers. (Earlier exclusive playground of biggies like Sonos and Bose)

Summary:
Both my Android Mi5 and OP5 (and the GHMs) are waking up every time I say the magic phrase.

Wife has filed for divorce (Hehehe)

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st December 2017 at 21:04. Reason: Grammar
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2017, 11:01   #75
Senior - BHPian

I use many amazon echo stuffs with multiple smart home stuffs, they are great to use.

I have the following items from amazon staple

Amazon Echo, Echo generation 2, Echo Dot 2, Echo tab

The only limitation for me so far is the call name or wake up call term. Since I have multiple echos, I only could choose Echo, Alexa, Computer and Amazon to call this virtual assistant

Sound quality of Amazon echo is far far far superior compare to Google(I used it for few weeks and returned it)

Recently I had my eyes on another virtual assistant device based on collaboration between Harman/Kardon and Microsoft. The product is called Invoke with Cortana as virtual assistant.

Honestly the sound quality was extremely good and the call name was sexy

I’m yet to see the equal amount of providers for Microsoft compared to Amazon. But I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Microsoft will shake the ground with Cortana in the near future
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote