Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2019, 02:56   #91
BHPian

Re: Google Home vs Amazon Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
I've been using Google mini for a couple of months now and I believe that it has a limited use in a normal household and serves as a good music player and alarm clock.

The only concern is that it suddenly wakes up in the middle of the night by catching some noises, which is very disturbing

P.S. - I am not able to connect it to my smart t.v, can anyone help?
As far as I know that most of the TVs do not transmit audio over Bluetooth. Bluetooth is there in TVs for only connecting controllers and input devices. I am sure about this at least for Sony Smart TVs.
Old 7th February 2019, 11:14   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
As far as I know that most of the TVs do not transmit audio over Bluetooth.
I am using the Sony Android TV only and read somewhere that Google Mini can help navigate the You tube and Netflix content through voice commands if the same is paired with chromecast using the same wifi network.

I believe that Sony Smart TV has an inbuilt chromecast but somehow I am not able to pair it, appears to be a complex process and I gave up
Old 7th February 2019, 12:21   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am using the Sony Android TV only and read somewhere that Google Mini can help navigate the You tube and Netflix content through voice commands if the same is paired with chromecast using the same wifi network.

I believe that Sony Smart TV has an inbuilt chromecast but somehow I am not able to pair it, appears to be a complex process and I gave up
On the first point you are very right. My 11 year old son figured this out way before we managed to. He routinely switches on, off and navigates Youtube using our Google Minis. This is when we disconnected our Tata-Sky STB and confiscated the TV remote for poor marks
Old 7th February 2019, 13:13   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
On the first point you are very right. My 11 year old son figured this out way before we managed to.
Kids these days, can never run out of options

If you don't mind, can you help me with the process of pairing both the devices?
Old 7th February 2019, 15:02   #95
BHPian

Quote:
If you are looking for how to do this, here is a nice video from TEch with Brett explaining it. In general, Tech with Brett is a great channel for Google Home ecosystem users.

Old 16th April 2019, 19:02   #96
Team-BHP Support

Watch out what you say to Alexa... she is not the only one listening.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...-conversations
Old 15th May 2019, 09:15   #97
Senior - BHPian

Being an early adopter - got the Echo2 at launch, from the US. It's handling pretty much everything we throw at it. They could have easily added a battery this time around, after taking in customer feedback. So there is still that void. On a positive note, the sound is really great this time around
Attached Thumbnails
Google Home vs Amazon Echo-img_4579.jpg  

Old 15th May 2019, 09:49   #98
BHPian

Recently I got the Google Home Hub (much to my dismay, Google now has the Nest Hub Max!) and the Nest Hello video doorbell combo from the US. I had to jump through hoops to get the video doorbell working in the Indian context but it is working fine now! Here are some notes if anyone is interested:
  • I needed to add an 18VAC transformer at the doorbell to make the doorbell work but no issues after that.
  • I cannot set it in the India timezone (wierd!) and have to use either the US or AUS timezones
  • Cannot yet integrate it into my existing doorbell - not directly compatible. But I am getting around this temporarily with a Google Home mini in strategic locations in the house which announce that someone is at the door.
  • Excellent video quality, even in low light!
  • The cloud option works great, I have taken a 5 day continuous video recording plan. Works well on my ACT internet connection.
  • The doorbell now recognizes everyone at home and announces their name when they are at the door. Even regular helps like the maid, security and the postman! The ML training is pretty easy to perform.
  • Google Home hub is a great addition - especially because it can continue conversations. My son uses it a lot, especially now during the summer vacations and also there are a lot of audio games on Google home platform. He likes mystery puzzles.

Google Home vs Amazon Echo-6290313_sd.jpg

Last edited by nileshch : 15th May 2019 at 09:52. Reason: typo
Old 15th May 2019, 10:46   #99
Senior - BHPian

OMG! It's such a coincidence. I bought the Nest, but then I found the Ring2 to be much better. So purchased one, in USA, and its doing duty in Bangalore. This has an inbuilt battery, and dual-chime (One outside and one inside). Image quality is second to none. Low light is just brilliant and am happy about this purchase.

Not sure if this is the right thread to discuss this in depth, but would love to

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Nest Hello video doorbell combo from the US.Attachment 1876348
Attached Thumbnails
Google Home vs Amazon Echo-img_0490.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 15th May 2019 at 10:48.
Old 15th May 2019, 13:46   #100
Senior - BHPian

Not surprised at all !!
Quote:
'My baby's first word was ALEXA!': Stunned mother reveals eleven-month-old daughter uttered name of Amazon gadget rather than 'mummy' or 'daddy'
The day isn't far when Alexa would grow up to take care of the baby, of course with support from the cloud

Link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...xa-Amazon.html
Old 15th May 2019, 17:38   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Not surprised at all !!

The day isn't far when Alexa would grow up to take care of the baby, of course with support from the cloud

Link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...xa-Amazon.html
Even my daughters first word is Alexa. Even before than Papa.

Though correct pronunciation is still far from perfect. But occasionally Alexa also responds and brings a lot of smile to my daughters face.
Old 19th July 2019, 12:15   #102
BHPian

I bought an Echo dot a few days ago wanting to know what all the hype was about. It came bundled with a Syska smart bulb too.

I primarily used it to play songs - cos I wanted my five year old to use it to play his songs than peering into the mobile phone.

Two days later I am tired. It has no trouble recognizing English song names. But my son listens to certain Hindi and other regional language songs. Tough luck! It recognizes "Mika Singh", but not my son's favourite song "Party Chale On". Tried a lot many song names, including a few simple sounding ones, but no.

Next I tried setting up the bundled Syska bulb with the Echo dot. I can control the bulb with the Syska app, but the Alexa app does not detect it. Some reviews in Amazon says that Syska support was recently removed by Amazon. Then I wonder why they sell them in a bundle.

Am going to give it a few more tries during the weekend - else It is going back.
Old 30th July 2019, 16:42   #103
Senior - BHPian

I have had pretty bad experience with my Amazon echo devices.

I bought my first one for 4k a few months ago. One fine day it just refused to connect to the internet. After trying every possible thing the tech support asked me to do, They placed a replacement. I received the replacement after a week. But in 2-3 days the adaptor failed, they sent me a replacement adaptor that took 10 days.

In the meanwhile there was a sale and I was stupid enough to buy the second device. My replacement device had sound quality issues and at certain volumes the speaker would jarr.

By now I started using the two devices in stereo and I realized the setup is extremely buggy. It would stop playing suddenly. It would also just hang or both the devices would be eager to take the request and try to compete with each other

Now my replacement devices Jarring issue became unbearable and I placed another replacement request. This time it took 15 days and a lot of followup.

I am yet to test the new device, but i am pretty certain that the apple wont fall far from the tree.

Between Jan and now, the device was down for almost 3 months due to transits and breakdowns. I cannot imagine what will happen once these devices are out of warranty.

Pramod
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:38   #104
Team-BHP Support

Even Cortana is leaking your conversations...
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:43   #105
Senior - BHPian

Got this on my Instagram feed the other day

'My wife asked me why I was speaking so softly at home.
I told her I was afraid Mark Zuckerberg was listening!

She laughed. I laughed.
Alexa laughed. Siri laughed.'

It is beyond me why anyone would have this in their home.

Last edited by bigron : 23rd August 2019 at 09:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks