Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2018, 18:24   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Google Home vs Amazon Echo

Google has launched Google Home and Home Mini in India starting at Rs 4499.

There are some good launch offers. Check it out.

I already have Amazon Echo Dot, is Google Home worth trying?
Old 10th April 2018, 19:14   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Google has launched Google Home and Home Mini in India starting at Rs 4499.

There are some good launch offers. Check it out.

I already have Amazon Echo Dot, is Google Home worth trying?
I find Echo Dot better: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post4326610
Old 10th April 2018, 20:55   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I dont know about the Google mini, but I have the regular mid-sized Google home and the sound on that is pretty good.

Perhaps if people share what they use each for would be easier to compare. I have a Google Home and am pretty happy with it.
  • Kids use it to check on generic facts and stats
  • Use it for music a lot am on the Rs 99/- pm Prime music account. Here even the Amazon free offering has limited content. It does not play any and every album unless you go for the paid one.
  • Traffic updates are available gives me info on how much time it will take to get to work.
  • Local movies playing , which movie is playing where..
  • Can take multiple commands , you can say play xyz from youtube on Onkyo ( I named my chromecast that since its hooked to the receiver) , and it routes the ouptput.
  • Say stuff like Switch off the TV, it routes to the Chromecast which in turn switches off the Receiver + the TV.
  • Can create shortcuts like macros, where you say do xyz and program it to play some specific album / Playlist you created.
Old 27th April 2018, 14:16   #79
BHPian

Took the Plunge and picked up the Echo Dot 2.0 from the Local Amazon stall at Mantri Mall. Got it only last week, once home and set up my son (9 years old) is having fun.
Then i ordered the Syska Smart Bulb to start my home automation
Today ordered the Sonoff wifi switch which I plan to attach to the led tubelight in the room.
This is the just the beginning and i see this market growing in time.
The audience will mainly be parents getting it for the kids to have some instant knowledge access.
Old 7th May 2018, 20:49   #80
BHPian

I recently got an Echo Dot and am unable to figure out how I can listen to music on it without having Amazon Prime or Saavan Pro. I could use Saavan but it seemed to be stuck on one Hindi playlist and would not let me play English songs.

Is it necessary to have either of these paid apps to listen to music?
Old 25th May 2018, 09:21   #81
Senior - BHPian

Well, the inevitable has happened.
An Amazon Echo device has accidentally sent a private conversation audio to another person in the contact list.

Amazon's Alexa recorded private conversation and sent it to random contact
Old 25th May 2018, 21:59   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

I've had this multiple times with both my GH Minis and my Echo Dot. They wake up suddenly, say something totally unrelated and proceed on some activity. Obviously some word or combination of words sets them off!
Old 15th November 2018, 08:59   #83
BHPian

The Smart Home Thread

Had a look around the forum and there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to a Smart Home.

Quote:
A smart home is a residence that uses internet-connected devices to enable the remote monitoring and management of appliances and systems, such as lighting and heating.
Loads of further explanations available but here are a few good reads:

https://internetofthingsagenda.techt...me-or-building

https://www.androidauthority.com/wha...t-home-806483/

So, with all the buzz going round on about a Smart Home, I ordered an Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Gen during the Diwali sales. After all discounts and cashback got it for 2k - it was out of stock at the time but should ship soon.

Then while checking out the Amazon UK Black Friday deals this week, saw an Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Gen and Philips Hue Starter Kit combo on offer for £60. After a few account specific promotional offers it was £49 (the Philips Hue starter kit is normally £55+ on its own). So ordered that as well and will pick it up in December. Hope to have my initial smart home done soon and looking forward to add a different devices along the way.

So my questions to all are:
  1. Has anyone ventured into setting up a smart home? Did you choose Alexa, Google Home, Samsung SmartThings, Cortana or something else?
  2. Any suggestions to keep in mind with regards to security implications of a smart home?
  3. Any particular smart home devices that you recommend?

Look forward to responses on this. Thanks in advance.
Old 6th January 2019, 07:29   #84

Re: The Smart Home Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post

1. Has anyone ventured into setting up a smart home? Did you choose Alexa, Google Home, Samsung SmartThings, Cortana or something else?
  2. Any suggestions to keep in mind with regards to security implications of a smart home?

I have three Google Homes, the new Echo Plus, the first-gen Echo Plus, and an Echo Dot, so I have a fair idea of how each ecosystem works.

For smart home stuff in India, Alexa still has the lead over Google. That was the case from the beginning, and while Google came a long way over the last six months, it doesn't quite integrate with all the local smart home providers.

I use Picostone for down lights and controlling the AC remotely, and it works with Alexa but not Assistant. But the global services like Hue and all the Xiaomi products work with both.

As for security, you're essentially trading in a modicum of privacy for convenience with all such devices. They don't actively start storing the recording until you say the wake word (Alexa or Ok Google), but these products aren't for the privacy conscious.

And for smart home products in India, I'm a fan of Picostone. I used Oakter several years ago, and their products are decent too. I should make an article sometime detailing all the smart home services available in the country.
Old 18th January 2019, 11:52   #85
BHPian

Re: The Smart Home Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Had a look around the forum and there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to a Smart Home.

I salvaged the following from my children who got bored and discarded:

1. Echo Dot

2. Philips Hue Smart Bulb

Hathway gave me a D'Link p6000 LHS camera which works without messy cables, and can be monitored from phone even from Timbuktu.

I bought:

1. Ford Ecosport and side loaded Ford+Alexa on my Pixel 2.

2. D'Link W215 smart plug with thermal and load readout on phone, and timer with management from phone.

Each device provides nice features.

Example
I can switch on the hot water and get a bath as soon as I reach home. Ford Pass is available as an OBD plug-in in US, which can even start the heater or AC on cold or hot days, so you are comfy as soon you reach the car. Requires a SIM card though.

They all talk to each other and get along well! They give me benefits that i can't do without today!

Last edited by proton : 18th January 2019 at 11:55. Reason: spelling
Old 18th January 2019, 15:02   #86
BHPian

Hi guys,

I want alexa inside the car, I tried pairing with mobile hotspot, but it wouldn't work. Since I don't have Android Auto, I thought Alexa pairing with car Bluetooth audio would be ready reckoner.

Anyone tried having Alexa in the car? Wizards help me out
Old 18th January 2019, 15:27   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Hi guys,

I want alexa inside the car, I tried pairing with mobile hotspot, but it wouldn't work. Since I don't have Android Auto, I thought Alexa pairing with car Bluetooth audio would be ready reckoner.

Anyone tried having Alexa in the car? Wizards help me out
Get the new Alexa Echo input. It has bluetooth and you can easily connect to 3.5mm aux in of head unit and stream via BT.

Alternately the option is to have a hotspot device in the car and have your phone and Alexa Echo input connect to that.

This will work amazingly well as the music is wireless but doesnt lose the SQ which is the case in BT.
Old 29th January 2019, 11:10   #88
BHPian

Folks, need some help.

I bought the Echo Dot 3rd generation and found that it takes a 12V DC input for power. To use the same in car, should I get a inverter or would a USB to 12V DC cable suffice?

Thanks.
Old 6th February 2019, 22:11   #89
BHPian

I've been using Google mini for a couple of months now and I believe that it has a limited use in a normal household and serves as a good music player and alarm clock.

The only concern is that it suddenly wakes up in the middle of the night by catching some noises, which is very disturbing

P.S. - I am not able to connect it to my smart t.v, can anyone help?
Old 6th February 2019, 23:16   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This will work amazingly well as the music is wireless but doesnt lose the SQ which is the case in BT.
Sorry for a noob question, but what's the value add of doing this? Are you trying to stream music through the device instead of the HU?

Most Viewed