Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2017, 10:26   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Amazon Prime Video in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanny View Post
I too have an android tv, and I cant find a simple way of streaming content directly from TV. How do you play content from prime video directly from TV?
Install the amazon video app, it is an android OS after all.
Old 25th April 2017, 08:59   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But I assume you would miss out on the 5.1+ audio via the Android app.
If your TV has ARC setup, when free can you test and confirm whether you get 5.1 back on the receiver ?
Old 25th April 2017, 09:05   #78
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone have some reviews on the Fire TV stick. Some reviews say it doesn't work as good as chrome cast in streaming and always streams at highest PQ causing video to stop and buffer in between. Chrome cast manages thi wonderfully.

I have a 16Mbps connection and I usually don't have any issues in streaming from the chromecast. However I am missing the Amazon prime video content on the Chromecast.

I have 2 non smart TV's so I can move the chromecast to the bedroom one and use the Amazon stick in the Living room TV.

Worth it? Basically will be buying this only cause chromecast doesn't support Amazon prime videos thanks to the feud between Google and Amazon forcing us to buy 2 devices.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th April 2017 at 09:14.
Old 25th April 2017, 09:54   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
prime Video app is not available from the google store for normal download. I had checked umpteen times.

As a last option, yesterday I resorted to firmware update and it helped.

Now Prime Video App is coming up as option in default available apps.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks,
Rahul.
Old 25th April 2017, 10:39   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Does anyone have some reviews on the Fire TV stick. Some reviews say it doesn't work as good as chrome cast in streaming and always streams at highest PQ causing video to stop and buffer in between. Chrome cast manages thi wonderfully.

I have a 16Mbps connection and I usually don't have any issues in streaming from the chromecast. However I am missing the Amazon prime video content on the Chromecast.

I have 2 non smart TV's so I can move the chromecast to the bedroom one and use the Amazon stick in the Living room TV.

Worth it? Basically will be buying this only cause chromecast doesn't support Amazon prime videos thanks to the feud between Google and Amazon forcing us to buy 2 devices.
With a 20Mbps connection and quality on best, prime video on my desktop managed to suck around 40 GB for a couple of hours of usage, that's crazy bandwidth usage. The "Good" quality setting seem to be OK on the web version. Fire TV allows you to select between Good, Better and Best like the web app. Given the fact that fire TV uses only WiFi, I won't be surprised if the video buffers a lot on "Best" quality setting. I can confirm this evening, as I will be setting up my fire TV stick this evening.
Old 25th April 2017, 10:56   #81
BHPian

the stick will support x265 compression so numbers will drop. I use my desktop and its abt 7 Gb per hour and zero buffering. I have 50Mb unlimited connection so usage isnt a bother. Amazon streaming has never stuttered, to be honest. Compared to the sh*t that is doled out by hotstar in india - the quality is awesome. however you can go for the minimum quality to save bandwidth if required, I prefer the option of having an unlimited high quality stream which is rare!
Old 25th April 2017, 11:31   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

I am using Fire TV for Prime from last 4 days and its very good(tried erosnow and buffering is bad sometimes worse). I have not used chromecast or anyother device.
Old 25th April 2017, 13:24   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
But I assume you would miss out on the 5.1+ audio via the Android app.
If your TV has ARC setup, when free can you test and confirm whether you get 5.1 back on the receiver ?
My 7.1 home theater setup and my android TV are in different cities. So I won't be able to check it.
Old 25th April 2017, 13:28   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
With a 20Mbps connection and quality on best, prime video on my desktop managed to suck around 40 GB for a couple of hours of usage, that's crazy bandwidth usage. The "Good" quality setting seem to be OK on the web version. Fire TV allows you to select between Good, Better and Best like the web app. Given the fact that fire TV uses only WiFi, I won't be surprised if the video buffers a lot on "Best" quality setting. I can confirm this evening, as I will be setting up my fire TV stick this evening.
I have 16 mbps Airtel bb connection and fire stick streams videos in best quality without any buffering. That too at prime time at about 9.30 pm. The data usage was 3-4 gb per hour.
Old 6th May 2017, 02:09   #85
BHPian

Between Amazon fire stick & chrome cast 2, which one would be better.

I have a prime membership but that was more for shipping than anything else. I found the content very obsolete on prime. Only thing i prefer watching are Hollywood movies once in while, Watching TV series is not my cup of tea & Prime doesn't offer me latest in Hollywood.

My Sony TV do have the Netflix / you tube app for occasional streaming. What extra benefit do chrome cast 2 provides from a end user perspective. Movie wise ,do Netflix have better content than prime.

Apologies for too many questions

PS : - I see few posts highlighting extreme data usage on fire stick . Per se User review on Amazon, stick is not smart enough & continues to stream content in background on loop even when you are not watching it.

Amazon Fire stick review
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:32   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I see few posts highlighting extreme data usage on fire stick . Per se User review on Amazon, stick is not smart enough & continues to stream content in background on loop even when you are not watching it.
I agree with this point.
In the last 3 days I watched 2 movies , 3 TV series and browsed around checking what content was available.

And in this time it seems to have consumed almost 25gb of data bandwidth.
(not an exact calculation , but I know how much data the rest of the devices on my home n/w would have used in those 3 days and I took that into account.)

I have seen some posts about its screensaver being the culprit, but checked that out, and mine was not set on the supposedly bug causing setting.
On an avg if you stream at full HD 1080p mode it consumes around 3.5 - 5 gb of data per movie.

Not sure how good is Netflix in comparison. If anyone has measured it please let me know.
Note: This check was determined based on the Airtel Smartbytes page.

Ps: I wish Netflix had a Pay per view option , where you can browse and pay for a single movie / program you wish to watch.
Currently I dont feel its worth another 650/- per month for the sporadic content that I might watch in a month.

Last edited by Fillmore : 2nd June 2017 at 08:39. Reason: removed the extra line spacing
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:52   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I agree with this point.
Not sure how good is Netflix in comparison. If anyone has measured it please let me know.
Note: This check was determined based on the Airtel Smartbytes page.

Ps: I wish Netflix had a Pay per view option , where you can browse and pay for a single movie / program you wish to watch.
Currently I dont feel its worth another 650/- per month for the sporadic content that I might watch in a month.
I have directly streamed Netflix movie on my android TV and usage approximately 1 GB per hour of viewing.

I have yet to stream Amazon prime directly on TV, as I normally download to my phone with highest quality and stream to TV. I found much lesser data consumption at 500 Mb per hour in this way and also flexibility.

For pay per use, you can use google movies or itune. Content are pretty updated and price wise rental option is competitive.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 2nd June 2017 at 15:55.
Old 2nd June 2017, 17:16   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

I unsubscribed from Amazon Prime membership here recently. I was auto-subscribed by Amazon last year, persisted with for The Grand Tour, and had long since observed that Amazon Prime content did not excite - barely ever used it. Besides, having Netflix, Amazon Prime, Free-to-air HD, and YouTube was definitely an overkill for a family that watches TV for a maximum of 1 hour in a week.
Old 2nd June 2017, 20:57   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I have yet to stream Amazon prime directly on TV, as I normally download to my phone with highest quality and stream to TV.
That is a neat idea. This way the chromecast can be put to use.
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:54   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
For pay per use, you can use google movies or itune. Content are pretty updated and price wise rental option is competitive.
Could you please elaborate on the method you use for movies Rented/Purchased on iTunes and Google Play Movies ?

I dont mean the actual rental/purchase step, but the post download viewing steps to get it on your TV.

I have a Kodi HTPC setup + Amazon Fire TV stick, so can use either option.

Was wondering which method you use either to download and watch offline or stream the offline content to your HTPC device.

I believe currently download is possible only on mobile devices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks