Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2017, 23:25   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Amazon Prime Video in India!

For a person who doesn't watch movies. and is not much into new music (other than a lot of what is already collected), and normally doesn't do impulsive shopping, -- Is Amazon Prime of much help ? I do sometimes search for older melodious hindi songs, but that's about it with music.
Old 14th October 2017, 23:32   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For a person who doesn't watch movies. and is not much into new music (other than a lot of what is already collected), and normally doesn't do impulsive shopping, -- Is Amazon Prime of much help ? I do sometimes search for older melodious hindi songs, but that's about it with music.
Have you tried apps like saavn/gaana, if it is just about music? I have a gaana subscription and I am pretty satisfied with it.

No affiliations with any of the above mentioned apps.

Last edited by Engine_Roars : 14th October 2017 at 23:36.
Old 15th October 2017, 00:25   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Engine_Roars, but the question is about Amazon Prime ? Will it be of any use to some one like me ?
Old 15th October 2017, 01:06   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks, Engine_Roars, but the question is about Amazon Prime ? Will it be of any use to some one like me ?
Amazon Prime :
  1. Is good if you watch streaming movies or series
  2. Is good if you intend to buy items during a festival sales (early access to deals)
  3. Currently doesn't have the amazon prime music (will come in future).
  4. Have some special deals with respect to Amazon devices (Latest example is Amazon Echo devices)
  5. Is way cheaper with 500rs per year, when compared to other services.

Hope its clear.
Old 15th October 2017, 02:35   #110
BHPian

At ₹500 I am not sure there is anything I can ask more from Amazon.
1. Prime video hosts some amazing content. I am watching brilliant TV shows which I didn't know exist in FHD without paying for any extra channel subscription.
2. Free unlimited fast one day delivery for 1 year.
3. I can place orders below ₹500 and still get free fast delivery.
4. How else could I consume 180GB data Airtel offers me at 16mbps. Still Amazon Prime video somehow offers FHD content on a diet.
5. I have an Android smart TV box that has features like HDR and also the H.265 HEVC codec. Amazon prime video content at FHD looks brilliant on my TV, I don't like watching the regular TV anymore. The picture quality is so good that it just leaves people jealous.
Old 15th October 2017, 14:04   #111
BHPian

Here is a twister:

I was a member of Amazon Prime from October last year till yesterday. I ordered Amazon Echo which comes with a complimentary one year membership of Amazon Prime, on October 6th this year. I figured that my Amazon Prime membership would continue, uninterrupted and that i would not need to renew my Prime membership by paying-since i ordered the Echo.

The twist is that Amazon says that the Prime membership would only get activated on activation of the Echo, after delivery. I figure that since the price i have paid for the Echo includes the membership of Prime, they should activate the membership immediately since i would not want to be out-of-status from 15th Oct till 6 Nov (6th Nov is when they would deliver the Echo). My payment for the Echo (which includes the Prime membership) is already in Amazon's account.

The relevant issues that matter is the Amazon is unable to deliver before 6th November and that money for the membership has already been collected on 6th October.

While Amazon's policy may be acceptable as far as a completely new membership is concerned, existing customers may have to be treated differently.

Do i have a case?

Last edited by earthian : 15th October 2017 at 14:05.
Old 15th October 2017, 18:50   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Here is a twister:

I was a member of Amazon Prime from October last year till yesterday. I ordered Amazon Echo which comes with a complimentary one year membership of Amazon Prime, on October 6th this year. I figured that my Amazon Prime membership would continue, uninterrupted and that i would not need to renew my Prime membership by paying-since i ordered the Echo.

The twist is that Amazon says that the Prime membership would only get activated on activation of the Echo, after delivery. I figure that since the price i have paid for the Echo includes the membership of Prime, they should activate the membership immediately since i would not want to be out-of-status from 15th Oct till 6 Nov (6th Nov is when they would deliver the Echo). My payment for the Echo (which includes the Prime membership) is already in Amazon's account.

The relevant issues that matter is the Amazon is unable to deliver before 6th November and that money for the membership has already been collected on 6th October.

While Amazon's policy may be acceptable as far as a completely new membership is concerned, existing customers may have to be treated differently.

Do i have a case?
They would be renewing subscription for already existing prime customers. So if you go ahead and pay for prime membership now, it would be renewed automatically next year when current subscription expires. I think it's fair.
Old 2nd November 2017, 14:46   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Do i have a case?
Not really, what if you enjoy the Prime services for an entire month(between your order and delivery date) and cancel your order before delivery? They will have to refund entire amount to you, and you end up enjoying a free month of Prime
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:13   #114
BHPian

Has anyone got their hands on the Echo yet?

I put in a request the day it was on the website, received the invitation the next day (think this was first week of Oct) but when I went to place an order saw that it would be available around Oct 30th.

Decided to wait and check out the reviews and hence did not go through with it.
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:27   #115
Senior - BHPian

Echo - I am keenly waiting for mine to arrive in the next couple of days! Let's see how good this really is. I'll post my initial impressions.
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:41   #116
Senior - BHPian

After Amazon Prime Video, now Amazon is soon launching Amazon Prime Music for its prime members!

Whats more, the Amazon Prime Music can be controlled via voice commands on the Echo device as well.

Old 3rd November 2017, 12:42   #117
BHPian

So, I received my Echo device today after pre-ordering it almost a month ago. These are my initial impressions after using it for a couple of hours. I got the regular Echo, not the Dot or Plus.

Firstly, setup was pretty easy. Just connected it to a power source and logged in to the Wi-fi network and my Amazon account. It looks pretty understated and doesn't feel like a regular speaker. I purchased the Black one, maybe the grey version may have looked cooler.

Voice control is very good for short phrases like playing music, getting news and weather updates. There may sometimes be an issue in understanding long phrases like asking for a mathematical equation. It understands the Indian accent really well and you don't have to speak like a robot to help it understand what you're saying, neither do you have to speak loudly.

Music quality is really good for it's size and I feel it rivals some of the bluetooth speakers that are available in the same price range/size. I am still trying to figure out how to properly control my Fire Stick with the Echo and also, trying some other commands through IFTTT app.

I don't have any smart home devices like Phillips Hue lights or smart plugs in my house so, I can't pass judgement on that operation.

Overall, I feel it is a worthy purchase where the device fulfils the need for a speaker as well as a AI control. It has made me consider upgrading my lights and plugs to take advantage of the whole smart home ecosystem.
Old 3rd November 2017, 13:26   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
After Amazon Prime Video, now Amazon is soon launching Amazon Prime Music for its prime members!
Great news! I can finally stop paying for Apple Music every month

When is the launch date, is it similar to apple music app?
Old 3rd November 2017, 15:35   #119
BHPian

Amazon prime music already launched with Alexa. Got my echo dot today. Yet to dig deep. Music from Prime music is good. Not much regional content yet. I have paired it with a bluetooth speaker.

Last edited by bharanidharang : 3rd November 2017 at 15:42. Reason: Format issues.
Old 3rd November 2017, 19:54   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Great news! I can finally stop paying for Apple Music every month

When is the launch date, is it similar to apple music app?
Everyone has their own offerings.
Amazon Prime Music is free with Prime , but has a limited music collection of some 2million songs I think.
Amazon also has Amazon Music Unlimited (not rolled in India yet) where you are supposed to have access to any song.

Google Play music is Rs 99/- per month in India
Pretty much any English song is available (did not check regional though)
Their free offering lets you load your own music on the cloud too ( upto 50,000 songs)

Overall the Google Play music available collection is supposed to be somewhere around 10x times that of Amazons
(I read this earlier somewhere, but cant find the link now)

Earlier the logic was , why should I upload my own music and waste bandwidth playing it ? but now that is no longer applicable with the existing data plans available.

Last edited by Fillmore : 3rd November 2017 at 19:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks