Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2006, 04:10   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie
Copying contacts is not an issue to be considered, you can sync your existing phone with your outlook, and again when u buy a new phone re-sync it again with outlook, you will have all the contacts.
My vote for P990i, for good build quality.
hey everyone.I bought the Sony Ericsson P990i...Well,netarchie thanks for the contacts transfer suggestion through outlook..worked like wonder !..otherwise I guess I would have had to transfer one by one through bluetooth or something..
but outlook transfer was really fast..
The phone is really nice..love it..but will have to get used to the new interface/OS/menu options..(this is my first Sony cell phone..I've always used Nokia prior to this)..lets hope it keeps running fine..will give some short review after using it for a few days/weeks..feelin too sleepy now..4:13am !..was playing a bit with the cell till now !
happy diwali to everyone.
cheers,
-sr

Last edited by srasania : 22nd October 2006 at 04:13.
Old 22nd October 2006, 04:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie
Copying contacts is not an issue to be considered, you can sync your existing phone with your outlook, and again when u buy a new phone re-sync it again with outlook, you will have all the contacts.
My vote for P990i, for good build quality.
can you explain this please?
you are not talking about outlook express right?
Old 22nd October 2006, 11:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal
can you explain this please?
you are not talking about outlook express right?
hi..outlook express is different from microsoft outlook.
you can sync the phone contacts and other entries with both,outlook as well as outlook express..
cheers,
-sr
Old 22nd October 2006, 11:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Basically instead of using the Back up to PC option, where all the info is stored in the propriatary software of the manufacturer, you need to choose the SYNC option. This will sync all your info including contacts, appointments, notes etc. to Microsoft outlook. Works like a charm.
Old 22nd October 2006, 12:36   #20
BHPian

Well, the Nokias and SE's comes with a software called the PC Suite, for PPC its ActiveSync ( Though lots of 3rd party software also available), its basically a software used to stay current with your existing PIM application in your laptop or desktop. While installing the your phone sync software it will ask you for your default PIM application which is user selectable.
Hope it clarifies..
Old 23rd October 2006, 15:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
hey everyone.I bought the Sony Ericsson P990i
Congrates on new buy !!! P990i is also my favorite and my next cell phone, unless SE comes with something more brillient by that time
btw, whats the current price and if you could share you experience with this smarphone.

Last edited by vishaltanksale : 23rd October 2006 at 15:16.
Old 23rd October 2006, 19:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishaltanksale
Congrates on new buy !!! P990i is also my favorite and my next cell phone, unless SE comes with something more brillient by that time
btw, whats the current price and if you could share you experience with this smarphone.
Current price : (All Brand New,Box Packed) :
Grey Market : Rs28,000 (no bill/no warranty)
Dealer 12 month warranty : Rs29,000 (with bill)
Manufacturers All India 1 year Warranty : Rs30,000 (with bill)

I initially thought the official manufacturers warranty price is Rs29,000,so,mentioned that figure earlier on this thread before buying it..but then came to know Rs29,000 is with bill and dealer warranty..so,I then bought the one with Manufacturers Warranty (Rs30,000)..Sony MRP on box is Rs38,995.
Cheers,
-sr
Old 25th October 2006, 12:28   #23
Team-BHP Support

I got my P990 a few months back. It cost about 35K with bill and Manufacturers warranty then.

My first piece was defective and Sony replaced with another they also updated the firmware.

My wife uses the N73 I use the P990. Determine your use.

My wife needed a good Nokia camera phone. N73 was about the best there was at the time.

I needed a phone with a tactile numberic kepad that could also be used as a PDA. SE's P990 was about the only phone (the HTC derived WM5 phones dont have a tactile numeric kaypads and the HP was too big) that fit the bill.

Is the P990 perfect. No. I wish it had a nicer graffitti (My older O2 Atom was better). It still hangs (though Swiss Manager has reduced this occurance). It's speaker level is way too low (unusable) but I hope the next ROM update will fix that.

Is the N73 perfect. No. My wife would prefer something simpler and Xenon flash (a la SE's K800). etc..

In short every phone has it's shortcomings. List your needs in order of importance and then use Newmobile.com and gsmarena.com to shortlist your preferences. You will see it will often come down to choice of ONE!
Old 27th October 2006, 00:42   #24

I would choose N80 over P990 due its size.
Nokia N80 vs Sony Ericsson P990
Old 27th October 2006, 11:20   #25
Team-BHP Support

N80 is not a PDA .
Old 27th October 2006, 11:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

I would love to have 990 ,but the initial teething problems of any new phone and cost is a pain.
Also the earphones on the sony has a proprietary plugs which i hate ,if u put the phone in the pants with the earplugs a slight tilt , the plug comes out .(those who use sony ess will know this ) .
I will wait untill the price drops
Old 27th October 2006, 13:05   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr
Also the earphones on the sony has a proprietary plugs
As far as a MP3/Photo phone is concerned (no PDA) I would consider the N95. I'm told it will accept 3.5mm headphones!
Old 28th October 2006, 04:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

at our retail store chain, we have sold around 30+ N80's and close to 10 p990i's. p990i is now selling with only a $100 lead over N80.

Motorola is still the leader followed closely by sony ericsson and samsung and then comes nokia. Benq-siemens has made a great jump and is ahead og LG on our sales list for the month with EF81 selling in great numbers.

BTW 3 big news.

1. India officially has become the country to sell the highest number of mobile phones in a day. The units are close to 400,000. the day was in Diwali.

2. Motorola is planning to buy loss making sagem.

3. Panasonic mobile and NEC mobile have joined hands to create a brand called 'Esteemo' which will start functioning with immidiate effect and an inaugral launch next month.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 28th October 2006 at 04:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks