Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2006, 08:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using "JAMO" music system?

I'm on the look out for a good resonable 5.1 ch surround system.

The other day, a friend of mine took me to the JAMO showroom on Millers road (next to the Honda showroom).

The salesguy took us to their demo room where they had these huge tower speakers, subs and a digital projector.

He switched it on and played a clip from Jet Lee's movie. Oh man, i was completely zapped!!! This was better than anything i've heard till date.

He then played one of the "Blue Man Group" vids in 5.1 surround. It was heavenly. Music had never felt so good.

The next day, i visited the JBL showroom on Lavale road. Made him play the same clips in their demo room but somehow, it wasn't even close.

I'm no techno geek, when it comes to music systems but.....i can differentiate between good sound and great sound.

I dunno if it was the room that made the diff (JAMO room was well padded while JBL room wasn't).

But, from a customers point of view, i just can't get over what i heard at "JAMO".

If any of you are interested, just go there and ask for a demo.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 22nd October 2006 at 08:39.
Old 22nd October 2006, 09:24   #2
BHPian

Dear Shan2nu,

I recently picked up a Jamo 5.1 from Singapore (A310PDD.1) alongwith a Marantz amp. It was substantially lower than u get in India (the Jamo's costs 30k in Blore).

Have not been very impressed with the acoustics.quite soft and think i like a lil more thunk I guess. Jamo makes some other excellent stuff too, but quite expensive in India.

You should consider the Kef's, which I am informed are excellent. I was suggested 2005.2. Good looking and very capable satellites. You can check it at the ProFX showroom. You'll get some very nice Denon hometheatre equipment too for very good prices. They've cut their prices, but try not to go for the base models. they're not rated very high. You should find what u're looking for at ProFX and don't be shy to ask for good discounts (on systems and QED cables). I'm planning to upgrade my satellites there sometime soon.

You could also pick up some old editions of What Hi-Fi and check out their articles. Some interesting (but bloody expensive stuff on review).

Happy hunting :-)

Cheers,
Spyder
Old 22nd October 2006, 11:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

I used to own a set of Jamo hometheatre speakers(Pronounced "Yaamo" if I am not wrong) and they were some of the best speakers I have owned. They were bloody expensive at that time, about 4 years ago and they cost me 50K then. Great stuff.

Last edited by jyobeb : 22nd October 2006 at 11:25.
Old 22nd October 2006, 18:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Shan2nu

I will jump in here, because well, I want to lol

Speakers are subjective and no brand is better than the other. However your experience seems, ummm.. uncommon.
Did you hear the same kind of system in both places? I know we have home theatre systems ranging from Rs.20,000/- to Rs 30,000,00/- (Thats 30 big ones) (yup, HOME systems)

So possibly you may not heard a similar kind of system. I mean, at a similar budget.

That said, Jamo makes some really nice speakers. I have appreciated their "D" series very much.
Old 22nd October 2006, 21:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

Sam, it's that never ending, no result kinda situation.

Shan, are you planning to go for home theatre system? If yes, suggest to listen to some more makes..
Old 23rd October 2006, 10:28   #6
BHPian

Jamo is bundling their Speakers + subwoofer alongwith YAMAHA AV receiver and selling as a package in India.

E Zone is having a special promotion on this.

I find their premium speakers are very good but entry level speakers pedestrian .....and feel there are better products available in the market at the same price point..

You can also audition Sonodynes Sonus 2605 tower speakers + Roarr 2815 subwoofer combination..Lot of bang for the bucks asked IMO..they are in Forum Mall in Koramangala
Old 23rd October 2006, 10:58   #7
Team-BHP Support

Audio is a subjective discipline. Please try before you buy.

Jamo (pronounced Yamo) does make some nice stuff (like Sam said their D series is quite nice) and some bloopers. Sometime I wonder how the same company can provide such a "variety".

If you are getting into Home Theater please research. Electronics has very poor resale value so once you buy it you are stuck with it for a long time.

Most systems sound exciting and fun one movie soundtracks but this same sound can get fatiging over a long listen. So take along a few of you favourtive CDs too as listen to them at length.

Many brands have tie-ups Jamo with Yamaha, B&W with Onkyo, Marantz with Monitor Audio etc...

If you are considering Jamo speakers I'd also consider Epos, Monitor Audio, Infinity, KEF, Elac, B&W, Mordant Short, Quad, etc.
Old 23rd October 2006, 22:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Audio is a subjective discipline. Please try before you buy.
If you are considering Jamo speakers I'd also consider Epos, Monitor Audio, Infinity, KEF, Elac, B&W, Mordant Short, Quad, etc.
How about Martin Logan?
Old 25th October 2006, 12:18   #9
Team-BHP Support

I said etc... Martin Logan are good too as are dozens of other brands but stuff like Dynaudio, Magneplanar, Martin Logan, etc... dont cater to the less well heeled audiophile.
Old 26th October 2006, 10:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Sam.

Yup, i guess what you say makes sense coz i was listening to those clips on the satellite speaker system retailing for 60K.

He then played the tower speaker system retailing for a lakh.

But, i have a feeling, the padded room would have definately given Jamo the advantage (cos the ones i heard outside weren't that impressive).

Anyway, lets see.....hopefully, i should be able to find the right system for our house.

Shan2nu
Old 26th October 2006, 11:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Try Onkyo HT package as well. I bought one six years back and my friend bought one a couple of days back. Cost approx 1.1L for Receiver, woofer, DVD player and speakers. Check out their showroom in Sigma mall.
Old 26th October 2006, 15:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
Try Onkyo HT package as well. I bought one six years back and my friend bought one a couple of days back. Cost approx 1.1L for Receiver, woofer, DVD player and speakers. Check out their showroom in Sigma mall.
Can you pl. give model numbers and prices af various components of this package , which added to 1.1 lakhs ? a friend is buyinhg this weekend.
Old 26th October 2006, 19:16   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Jamo speakers are really good..... No doubt abt that....

but whichever speakers you buy, how it sounds in your living room depends on a lot of things....windows, outside noise, positioning of furniture(yes...am not making this up), etc....etc...

Another JAMO showroom you can check out is CINEBELS in Garuda Mall....

A friend bought a pair of Jamo speakers from them and was blown away by the quality for 15K (for the pair ).... it sure sounded good....

I thinbk it was the 805 series.
Old 29th October 2006, 19:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
Can you pl. give model numbers and prices af various components of this package , which added to 1.1 lakhs ? a friend is buyinhg this weekend.
w 12, sorry about the delay. Saw this post now. The receiver was TX-SR703 and front speakers are SKF-101s. Let me know (PM me) if you want me to find more details.
Old 30th October 2006, 14:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
@Sam.

Yup, i guess what you say makes sense coz i was listening to those clips on the satellite speaker system retailing for 60K.

He then played the tower speaker system retailing for a lakh.

Shan2nu
Could not resist is the same reason for my post too

* Satellites are budget and sapce saving but towers in general give full bodied sound (But a very good satellite will beat up an average tower)
Though you have not mentioned anything specific about your requirement, I presume that you are a movie buff (since we are talking about 5.1) and the things that I wanted in my budget system are
1. Good performance (no booming, no faux bass, no shrill trebles)
2. Good connectivity (HDMI out, Upscaling, DIVX movies from USB for the DVD player / HTB. On the receiver side evertything is pretty much standaridsed for a generic beginner)
I bought a set up at 30K budget (Yamaha RX + Yamaha speaker package + Pioneer DVD). But I happened to visit Chroma (Tata shop in Juhu, near Juhu Shoppers stop - It is worth a visit) and I found two options which are budget but at the same time very nice to listen

1. There is a budget speaker package from Jamo for 30K with Towers in front and a beefy 200W sub, which you can combine with amp and DVD of your choice. The speaker package rocks if space is not premium

2. HTB from Jamo (for 60K) which is the first HTB / Player I have seen which can play DivX from USB. (People who are into watching DivX will agree with me immediately that this should be made a standard!) and the sound is pretty good and very well built.

Ofcourse, the above is not consolidated stuff but little more info to make a note to help, if not confuse, in your selection!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks