Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2018, 06:21   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gear for the Serious Amateur Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Guys, I recently gave my A6000 to my cousin because I got bored with it and want to try something new. I may be going against the mirrorless tide here but I'm kinda settling for the Nikon D3400 or the Canon EOS 1300D.
Just note on how serious would you be willing to take your learning. Because if you are serious you may outgrow D3XXX or 13XXD series very fast.

You may want to look at D5XXX or 7xxD series of productlines as well.
Old 11th July 2018, 07:15   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just note on how serious would you be willing to take your learning. Because if you are serious you may outgrow D3XXX or 13XXD series very fast.

You may want to look at D5XXX or 7xxD series of productlines as well.
Thank you ampere.

I've been using the A6000 for the last 3 years and playing around with editing for that period of time. Taking that into consideration what you say makes sense. I may outgrow these basic cameras quickly.

As I'm also big time into Lightroom for editing, most of my time is spent there. I don't need a very high spec camera but something that gets the job done also bearing in mind the budget I have set. I reckon the models you've mentioned are a great upgrade but breach the 35k mark and I don't want to extend beyond 35k. Hope that makes sense. Also, I get a new camera itch every 3 years so don't want to spend a fortune buying one.
Old 12th July 2018, 12:12   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you ampere.

I've been using the A6000 for the last 3 years and playing around with editing for that period of time. Taking that into consideration what you say makes sense. I may outgrow these basic cameras quickly.

As I'm also big time into Lightroom for editing, most of my time is spent there. I don't need a very high spec camera but something that gets the job done also bearing in mind the budget I have set. I reckon the models you've mentioned are a great upgrade but breach the 35k mark and I don't want to extend beyond 35k. Hope that makes sense. Also, I get a new camera itch every 3 years so don't want to spend a fortune buying one.
I have been using D3300 since 2014. I find the 24MP sensor good enough. Barring a few more buttons and the swivel screen, I find that the D5xxx and D7xxx models have nothing much better to offer. I personally use very few buttons as most of my shots are at Aperture Priority, Single AF point. I change either the AF between Single Servo or Continuous servo. I change the ISO - 100 for daylight, 400 for action and 800 indoors as required. I use neither Auto ISO nor Multiple AF points.

So I will stick to this body till the shutter lasts (I am on 95,000 and hope it lasts till 1,50,000). If and when I change I will go to FF sensor, as that will give me wider shots for groups and landscapes.

The D3300 is a better buy if you want to use the inbuilt flash as it if more powerful than that on D3400. Start with the kit lens - it is quite good, in fact better than other zooms costing five times more. You can later on add the 35mm F1.8DX for low light (flash less) shots. For birding and distance shots nothing beats the reach and quality of the 200-500. Avoid buying zooms with a large range - 5x or more as their image quality is much inferior to 18-55. Their only utility is that they are light and good enough for travel snapshots.
Old 12th July 2018, 22:11   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have been using D3300 since 2014.
Thank you Aroy for clearing most of my doubts. You've thrown the 3300 into the mix and I admit it's a pretty good piece of kit for the asking price. Good to hear your 3300 serving you well. I might go in for the 3300 and spend the rest on good lens to go with it. Thanks again!
Old 14th July 2018, 11:11   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Aroy for clearing most of my doubts. You've thrown the 3300 into the mix and I admit it's a pretty good piece of kit for the asking price. Good to hear your 3300 serving you well. I might go in for the 3300 and spend the rest on good lens to go with it. Thanks again!
That would be an excellent move, as you will save between 20K and 50K in the body itself. I started photography with inexpensive Russian film bodies. They were no frill machines, so in the earlier ones I had to calculate the exposure. On latter bodies I got a light meter that did a decent job of metering. So I have got used to bodies with minimum buttons.

All I use regularly is - Aperture, ISO and metering mode.
Aperture is controlled by the wheel.
ISO by Wheel + Fn button.
Metering you have to press a few buttons.

After a few weeks of owning the D3300 I bought 35mm F1.8 DX. That is a fantastic lens for low light and indoor use. I use it extensively for taking shots in parties. The fact that I got it for around 7K makes the deal even sweeter.

Another lens that you can afford by not going for expensive bodies is the 200-500 f5.6. An excellent telephoto zoom that will get you through most wild life situations.
Old 16th August 2018, 12:59   #66
BHPian

Aha just when I was thinking I stumbled upon this thread and voila.

I have reached the stage in life when I can now devote some time for my hobbies that I had to leave during studies. Photography being the latest one. With a one year old kid, me and my wife love taking portraits and also try to capture scenic beauty. Previously I used my iPhone. Then my brother in law bought a canon 1300 d and he lent it to us to try out. With an 18-55 f2.8 af lens. And boy Did we love it. I have gone through the thread and it's the same itch, I want to buy a camera for my own and in my opinion I have outgrown the 1300d canon.

My requirements I have already mentioned. Budget of around 60k. But not more than 70. Now I ve noticed that most people here use nikon. I am presently pretty comfortable with the canon but since I want to upgrade I would love to hear suggestions on what should be my next buy. My research after reading various reviews boils down to Nikon s are easier to use as compared to canons - but I already use a canon. Secondly same features and kit is cheaper in Nikon than canon- now does this mean any difference in quality? My question.

I feel an 18-140 mm lens will suit all my requirements as a one in all lens. Models in my budget in canon are eos series 200d, 750d, 800d and 77d. In the Nikon series those are 5300, 5600, 7200(really stretching myself here.) I am growing gradually. And apart from the megapixels and lens range, I do not understand other technicalities. Will have to learn them soon.

I will be really thankful if you brethren can point me in the right direction.

Ps- I am a bit biased towards canon but I appreciate quality and product satisfaction more than anything else as I consider this as an investment.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by ampere : 16th August 2018 at 22:51. Reason: formatted post
Old 16th August 2018, 21:41   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
With an 18-55 f2.8 af lens. And boy Did we love it.
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 you meant I suppose.

Buy any brand you like (Canon in your case) but try to read reviews before picking up one.
Old 17th August 2018, 11:03   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aha just when I was thinking I stumbled upon this thread and voila.

I have reached the stage in life when I can now devote some time for my hobbies that I had to leave during studies. Photography being the latest one. With a one year old kid, me and my wife love taking portraits and also try to capture scenic beauty. Previously I used my iPhone. Then my brother in law bought a canon 1300 d and he lent it to us to try out. With an 18-55 f2.8 af lens. And boy Did we love it. I have gone through the thread and it's the same itch, I want to buy a camera for my own and in my opinion I have outgrown the 1300d canon.

My requirements I have already mentioned. Budget of around 60k. But not more than 70. .............
I feel an 18-140 mm lens will suit all my requirements as a one in all lens.................

I will be really thankful if you brethren can point me in the right direction.

Ps- I am a bit biased towards canon but I appreciate quality and product satisfaction more than anything else as I consider this as an investment.

Thanks in advance
As you have just begun and have yet to figure out where your interest lies and what type of images you will be shooting mostly, I suggest that you start with a base body with a couple of lenses. After shooting for six month to a year, you will learn both the camera as well as figure out where the current system lacks, and what sort of purchases will enhance your photography.

I am a firm believer in having excellent camera with minimum frills. What more expensive models have over the base models is -
. More buttons, makes life easier if you are constantly changing settins - I do not.
. Better build and weather sealing - I really do not need it as I neither shoot in rain, nor in dust storms.
. Two Card slots - for me one is enough. In last four years and 90+K images I have yet to have a card failure.
. Swivel screen in some - I forgo that as I use the optical finder always.
. More and faster AF points - I usually use the central AF point so more are not all that useful.

So on the whole, as long as the sensor is of the same resolution and sensitivity, I will go for the base model. As I am Nikon user, I can only comment on Nikon range.

For a beginner the Nikon D3300 (not the D3400) with 18-55 kit lens is the best bet. The kit lens is surprisingly sharp. Add a few F1.8 primes like 35mm F1.8DX and 85mm F1.8, and you are set for most of the situations. The D3300 + 18-55mm + 35mm combination will set you back by less than 40K if you take advantage of online discounts. Keep the rest of your budget for later acquisitions.

In general the larger the zoom range, the less the optical performance, especially at the extremes. 18-55 is one of the best budget zooms. Lences ranges - 18-140 or even 18-300 are at best lenses that you use when you want to travel light and want images that will document your travels. Not if you want relatively sharp images and fast AF.

For birding and shooting wildlife the minimum that you should use is the 70-300 VR. If you can afford then 200mm-500mm. Do not fall into the trap of buying cheap zooms, They will leave you frustrated.

One thing that you must keep in mind is that camera bodies change every couple of years, so that you are always changing them, if you want the latest features - MP, High ISO, AF speed etc. What changes much less is the Prime Lens, which are where your investment will pay off. So rather than splurging on an expensive body, get a reasonably priced one and start buying better prime lenses (or if required professional grade zoom lenses)

At a later stage if you are more into landscape and/or high ISO shooting you can upgrade to full frame bodies. D750 is ideal combination of high ISO and low cost. For ultimate in resolution you can always get the D850 or its equivalent at that time.
Old 17th August 2018, 19:10   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 you meant I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As you have just begun and have yet to figure out where your interest lies and what type of images you will be shooting mostly, I suggest that you start with a base body with a couple of lenses. After shooting for six month to a year, you will learn both the camera as well as figure out where the current system lacks, and what sort of purchases will enhance your photography.
Thanks @ Rudra sen. That was what I wanted to mention. My bad.

@ aroy. Thanks for pointing me out towards the right direction. I will review and try out the models I have mentioned as well the ones you pointed out. Even I feel that 18-55 and 70-300 lens for the time being will be all that I require. 18-140 lenses are expensive and rarely a part of the original kit but it is the one hook and carry everywhere lens. Will narrow down my choices and then share here before buying. Thanks everyone.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 17th August 2018 at 20:56. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 18th August 2018, 18:57   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I feel an 18-140 mm lens will suit all my requirements as a one in all lens. Models in my budget in canon are eos series 200d, 750d, 800d and 77d.
I own a 200D. I picked up a 24mm f2.8 pancake lens for ~8k for low light situations. It's a very capable combination if you are taking photos. If you plan to do video, 80D is better (has more focus points I think).

There are some other budget Canon EF-S lenses out there like the 55-250mm and the 10-18mm. Check out reviews on YouTube.
Old 7th October 2018, 00:17   #71
BHPian

So my canon 16-35mm along with my 5D4 fell on the floor from my camera bag and the front lip where you screw on filters was bent. Also the lens mount broke but didn't come apart. The camera and the glass were fine though. So I ordered some parts from Canon and fixed the lens mount. While researching about a fix for the front lip I came across this lens vice. It was $25 so I ordered it. With some patience and precision I was able to fix the lip in 2 mins. I was so glad to able to screw in my ND filters again. This vice could be used to fix threads from 28mm to 125mm. Here are some before and after pics. Thought I would share so it might be useful to someone someday

Gear for the Serious Amateur Photographer-20180825_120346-large.jpg

Gear for the Serious Amateur Photographer-20180825_120438-large.jpg

Gear for the Serious Amateur Photographer-20180825_165617-large.jpg

Gear for the Serious Amateur Photographer-20180825_165828-large.jpg

Gear for the Serious Amateur Photographer-20180825_165842-large.jpg
Old 7th October 2018, 15:24   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for your accident, but the repair is really interesting.

Did you use just the screw pressure from the lens vice to correct the dent?
Old 9th October 2018, 16:13   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Models in my budget in canon are eos series 200d, 750d, 800d and 77d.
From this list and given your requirements, it has to be 77D!

However, if you're into videos (meaning battery life important) and need weather sealing then it has to be 80D.
Old 10th October 2018, 22:47   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sorry for your accident, but the repair is really interesting.

Did you use just the screw pressure from the lens vice to correct the dent?
The vice is threaded and it needs to be aligned with the thread on the lens first. Then slowly tuning the knob will expand the vice fixing the dent. If the threads cannot be aligned it is recommended to align at a non dented area and then turn the vice slowly to straighten up the bent threads.
Old 11th October 2018, 00:18   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for the extra detail. It sounds quite scary, but one of those situations where stuff just has to be tried.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks