Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2017, 11:20   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

ACT Fibernet - Reviews & Recommendations

Wow! Lucky Hyderabad BHPians - please review & share your experience.

Quote:
ACT Fibernet has launched, for the first time in the country, wired broadband internet services with speeds of 1 Gbps.

The 1 Gbps plan will be available for all retail customers in Hyderabad initially at Rs. 5,999 per month, with a FUP of 1 TB. The service will soon be expanded to all the 11 cities ACT is present.

This would enable users to upload even huge files to the cloud in seconds and download ten HD movies simultaneously in less than 10 minutes.
Source & Full Article
Old 31st March 2017, 11:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: ACT Fibernet - Reviews & Recommendations

ACT Broadband is truly amazing ISP. I'm on 100 Mbps /250 GB plan @ Rs. 2000 per month. In a mature industry like ISP, they are growing by taking away market share from existing players. Their story -

http://www.forbesindia.com/article/h...ghways/44251/1

If ACT Fibernet is there in your city, I'd strongly recommend ditching your existing ISP for this.

- Very little downtime
- Stable speeds at all times
- No need to call up customer care at all. If internet is down (rare but it happens), just check your SMS - because it will have details about the expected downtime. Or it will just say "We are aware that internet is down. We are working on it"

Last edited by SmartCat : 31st March 2017 at 11:40.
Old 31st March 2017, 11:42   #3
BHPian

I have heard that the ACT's customer service is quite bad. When we had the cyclone in Chennai and also the floods the internet services were severely affected as expected. While Airtel resolved the issues in a week or so ACT took a month and in some cases couple of months to resolve the issue.

Honestly in India a speed of 50MBPS or 100MBPS should suffice to meet 99% of a residential user need. It's high-time that we get rid of the FUP limit. It makes little sense in a Digital World and is a significant constraint.
Old 31st March 2017, 19:45   #4
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
I have heard that the ACT's customer service is quite bad.
+1 to that. The customer care is operational from 9 am till 6 pm. And they took 45 days to restore my connectivity after the cyclone.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2017 at 10:22. Reason: Typo
Old 31st March 2017, 21:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
I have heard that the ACT's customer service is quite bad.
I applied for one 2 months after the cyclone, they haven't reverted back yet. Meanwhile I've jumped to Hathway.

I agree on the FUP limit. Am barely using a 16 Mbps DSL connection with Vodafone Italia and its good enough to see Netflix, Apple movies in streaming.

I use anywhere between 200-300 GB a month, I can't find a plan for this sort of usage.
Old 31st March 2017, 23:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I use anywhere between 200-300 GB a month, I can't find a plan for this sort of usage.
Try these guys; I've been using this for last 3 months & quite happy; their downtime is few minutes; during Vardah, they still had their network going, but with wireless of 1 Mbps, better than nothing!!

http://www.velocityinternetservices.com/#tarrif-plans

I get 50+ Mbps consistently for the the 40 Mbps plan that I've opted

ACT's service levels are going down in Chennai is what I hear too, but then, in Chennai, there's worse than stinking drainage politics that is preventing from anyone from entering into market & even if they do, preventing from giving a good service is what I hear through grapevine, be it ACT or anyone for that matter.
Old 31st March 2017, 23:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Try these guys; I've been using this for last 3 months & quite happy; their downtime is few minutes; during Vardah
I'll try them. So far Hathway experience seems to go fine. Yet to experience a monsoon with them.

There are too many local providers in Madras What's there in one area isn't there in another.
Old 31st March 2017, 23:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
+1 to that. The customer care is operational from 9 am till 6 pm. And it they took 45 days to restore my connectivity after the cyclone.
You could download the app and make complaints through it round the clock. Natural disaster's are a different ball game and Chennai has been bearing the brunt for 2 consecutive years. One big fault is they are not underground that adds to their natural calamity woes.
Old 1st April 2017, 00:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Here, Asianet offers fibre internet with exorbitant pricing compared to Hyderabad and other cities. Sad! Hope JIO internet plans and may be ACT too expanding to cities like Kochi will reduce the tariffs here.
Old 1st April 2017, 10:37   #10
rbp
BHPian

ACT service in Bangalore is top class. I have been using it for the past 2+ years. Most problems in the initial days, I had experienced is the local cable mafia cutting the ACT cables as they are a direct competitor to their cable internet business. ACT I believe did some sort of a deal with these local goons and since then the connections stabilized.
Old 1st April 2017, 11:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

I've been a customer of Beam Cable (later renamed as ACT Fiber) for the past 5 years. When i switched to them from BSNL, they were the fastest in the country. Their main architect, Mr. Sridhar Kusumba was living in the same complex as my residential flat. Incidentally, he was the first Volvo sedan owner in India, and his orange-coloured car was featured in one of the auto magazines.

He continued with them when they became ACT Fiber and took them to new strides. But alas, he was afflicted with brain tumour a couple of years back, and has been incapacitated since then.

Their customer service was good when they were Beam Cable.There was an online ticket monitoring system. But service has gone to the dogs after ACT took over. Fortunately for me, I've had downtime only a couple of times a year, and the maximum wait was for 24 hours.

It's good to know ACT continues to make rapid strides, but I wish they improve their customer service. I currently pay Rs 12000 a year for a 60 mbs plan, with an FUP of 150 GB a month.

Last edited by vnabhi : 1st April 2017 at 11:57.
Old 1st April 2017, 15:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
in Chennai, there's worse than stinking drainage politics that is preventing from anyone from entering into market & even if they do, preventing from giving a good service is what I hear through grapevine, be it ACT or anyone for that matter.
How is Airtel broadband in Chennai ? Is it stable ? It is quite good and VFiber ( VDSL) now gives speeds of 40 mbps.
Old 6th April 2017, 11:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
How is Airtel broadband in Chennai ? Is it stable ? It is quite good and VFiber ( VDSL) now gives speeds of 40 mbps.
I have both Airtel and ACT. Had only ACT and Cyclone Vardha disrupted the service for nearly 2 months so opted for Airtel 40 Mbps connection. Had issues for a week or so and and now it has stabilized - smooth operation so far. ACT also is stable. One advantage with Airtel is you also get free national calling with it.
Old 6th April 2017, 12:06   #14
BHPian

This makes sense only for a corporate / work setup.

At a cost of 6k per month I don't think they will get many takers from the home use segment. Because for streaming 40mbps vs 1GBPS would not make much of a difference.

Instead I would be more interested in a package which has a mix of 40mbps + 1TB FUP pegged at a cost of 1k per month
Old 8th April 2017, 18:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wow! Lucky Hyderabad BHPians - please review & share your experience.
I'm a user of ACT in Hyderabad and could not have been happier. Almost nil downtime and somehow I think they cracked the customer's mind in this market, especially in Hyderabad. They are a bit intuitive and proactive when there is a technical issue. They provide same upload speed as well as download speed. I guess they have a working mindset of a 'startup', which they actually are.

I might as well have sounded like I'm working for them but no, I'm a stock market trader, so am not affiliated to anyone.

In order to have backup internet which I acutely need being in stock markets, I have airtel on my mobile phone and connect my macbook to its 4G network (personal hotspot) in case of any downtime with ACT home broadband. I find Airtel 4G network to be reliable relatively.

I'm not yet upgrading to this 1 Gbps as I won't need it and overtime competition will ensure that prices will drop to realistic levels which is when I can upgrade irrespective of it being a 'want' or a 'necessity'.

Most Viewed