Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which PDA phone to buy for use with Hutch Mail?

I have been going crazy trying to figure out which PDA phone to get. Would appreciate some help here.

What I basically need is a QWERTY keypad, decently large screen, reliable for use, and good battery life. I have Hutch service and will take their Hutch mail service, which I believe can push emails from my existing email account to my phone. I hope this is right. Lastly, the phone should allow me to view and edit MS Excel, MS Word, and only view pdfs and common image and video formats.

I saw the IMate KJam, and a new one called Jaq or something. The spec sheet on the KJam doesnt mention anything about it being push email compatible. Googling revealed that it would need a ROM upgrade. Is this an easy thing to do?

How is the O2 Mini S? And the Palm Treo? I didn't particularly like the way the Treo looked though, and it's really cool to have a sliding keypad, I would think.

And with all of these phones, is it possible to do some basic browsing, like visiting whats-it-called? wap websites? What services should I get from the service provider for all of this?

My colleagues use Blackberry since they have Airtel connections. I dont want to change my phone number. Plus, from what I know, Airtel charges for push email etc are far higher than the packages from Hutch. Is it true that Blackberry with Airtel will mow down all of these other options? I have been told so.

Please help,

Ajay aka B&T

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 2nd November 2006 at 12:29.
Old 2nd November 2006, 14:35   #2
BHPian

for hutchmail - u need a pda with windows mobile 2003 only. the new pda's come with windows mobile 5.0 which doesnt support hutchmail.

i use the O2 XDA2s with hutchmail. not too bad, could be better though. hutchmail can be set to download at preset intervals - but the xda2s cant manage this too well. i need to do a soft reset (restart in other words) after every few connects.

internet can be browsed with the hutchmail gprs account.

Last edited by BikerSG : 2nd November 2006 at 14:36.
Old 2nd November 2006, 14:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG
for hutchmail - u need a pda with windows mobile 2003 only. the new pda's come with windows mobile 5.0 which doesnt support hutchmail.
Wow! I didn't know that. And the guys at Hutch said that I could use any of the phones I named above and more with Hutch Mail. They did not mention anything about the OS.

So, is there any news about Hutch Mail being upgraded to work with WM5.0? And any ideas when 3G is coming? If sometime soon, is it better to get a 3G phone now anyway?
Old 2nd November 2006, 14:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

if you have a symbian phone,why dont you use a email client like profimail.it will serve your purpose of mobile email.it supports all send,recieve,preset time or hourly update etc.

with this software you can recieve mail for all your pop3 enabled accounts like gmail etc,all you need is gprs connection.

it isnt a great idea to buy a new phone just for hutchmail,especially when 3G is going to come shortly.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 2nd November 2006 at 14:55.
Old 2nd November 2006, 16:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

B&T, you can also consider the Nokia E61 ( http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e61-1322.php ). Reasonably priced at about 18-19K. The WiMo (2003/5.0) phones will run to 30K at the least. If you're into messaging alone, the E61 should serve you well. Big landscape screen (not as big as the KJam). Full Qwerty keyboard. NO camera. It also supports Blackberry connect. I'm not sure if the Hutch guys can set it up for you with Blackberry connect, but I think it is worth a try. It runs on Symbian OS 9.1. You will be able to configure it to download email messages from POP/IMAP servers automatically at preset intervals, if the blackberry connect cannot be set up.

I myself use an XDA IIi (WiMo 2003 SE PE). I have it configured it to download messages automatically at preset intervals. (No Push). But I'm not a heavy email user/travelling type per se. There are some providers like www.emoze.com (free) that will let you set up your PC (that is online all the time), so that as soon as the email gets downloaded to Outlook on your PC, it gets pushed to your WiMo phone a la Blackberry. But you need a machine online all the time at home or office.

And have you seen the iMate Jaq? There never has been an uglier phone. And tacky build, I've heard. UGH! If you prefer the Jaq's form factor & WiMo5.0, you can think of the stellar PalmOne Treo700w. There's also the HTC Excalibur, but I don't think that is available in India as yet.

3G should be rolled out here by Q4 2007. You see news about 3G spectrum allocations to providers nearly everyday in the papers now. If you will keep your phone for another year anyway, better buy 3G. The E61 rocks 3g.

Last edited by hydrashok : 2nd November 2006 at 16:44.
Old 2nd November 2006, 18:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
The spec sheet on the KJam doesnt mention anything about it being push email compatible. Googling revealed that it would need a ROM upgrade. Is this an easy thing to do?
Easy-peasy. Anyone can do a ROM upgrade. As for push email, most windows mobile devices now support AKU2 which is the Microsoft version of Push Email. SE have their own version on UIQ for the P990 and M600, and Nokia have their own version.

If you MUST have Blackberry and not any other pushmail service, any of these phones can be used for blackberry with a small customization done by your service provider.

Quote:
How is the O2 Mini S? And the Palm Treo? I didn't particularly like the way the Treo looked though, and it's really cool to have a sliding keypad, I would think.
O2 software updates are far and few in between and therefore problem resolution is not as fast as, say, iMate. The best vendor for quick problem resolution is Eten. The Palm Treo has many fans, but once you're used to Windows Mobile convenience, tweakbility and the number of applications available for that platform, the Palm is not a contender. As of today Windows Mobile is more widespread (UIQ is even more widespread) than Palm and therefore support is better. You may be told that Palm is bulletproof and stuff, but trust me they have their share of problems too.

Quote:
And with all of these phones, is it possible to do some basic browsing, like visiting whats-it-called? wap websites? What services should I get from the service provider for all of this?
These phones offer not just BASIC browsing, but full-fledged browsing. You really dont use WAP websites anymore. WAP is history.

You will need data services from your service provider - GPRS/EDGE.

Quote:
My colleagues use Blackberry since they have Airtel connections. I dont want to change my phone number. Plus, from what I know, Airtel charges for push email etc are far higher than the packages from Hutch. Is it true that Blackberry with Airtel will mow down all of these other options? I have been told so.
Blackberry is no longer the only Push Mail service. Microsoft, Nokia and Sony Ericsson have their own version of push email and there are internet based push-mail services like eMoze or Seven that offer these services to any Symbian, Windows Mobile or any Java-enabled phone.

Finally, I really think you should consider the iMate JASJAM. I have been using one for about a week now and most of the issues that were there at launch seem to have been sorted out. I have not had a single issue over the last seven days, even if its not really a very good sample. The JASJAM comes with a sliding keyboard, 3G, HSDPA (3.5 G), Push Email, Video Calling (2 cameras), GPRS/EDGE, WiFi and everything you could possibly need except GPS. You should try to get the Qtek or HTC version of the same device (HTC is the manufacturer of all these devices) because HTC has cut off its relationship with iMate (which is only a rebranded distributor).

Your other option is the SE P990i, but I find the screen too small for any meaningful browsing. Besides, the keyboard is messy.

Please avoid the Nokia E series - Nokia are useless at making PDAs and the E series only reinforces this belief. If you dont need a camera or a QWERTY keyboard, you should look at the SE M600i. Its a brilliant PDA phone in a terrific package. No WiFi, No Camera and the keyboard is not a proper QWERTY but a different implementation of QWERTY that will take some getting used to.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Steeroid : 2nd November 2006 at 18:04.
Old 2nd November 2006, 20:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

As Steeroid suggested, go for Imate jasjam or it's equivalent. Jasjam is what K-Jam should have been. K-Jam will be cheapest WiMo phone you may get apart from old stock Jams. Jasjam is also future perfect with 3G already available.

Another alternative is O2 Atom Exec. I read some great reviews about it's performance though it lacks 3G.
Old 3rd November 2006, 10:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

jUST FOR THE INFORMATION fUJITSU-SIEMENS t830 IS OUT. wE HAVE IT IN STORE. Check if you can get it from somewhere.

GPS
Wi-fi
2mp camera with autofocus (T810 without camera)
bluetooth
QWERTY keypad
3g speeds with video calling thru second camera etc.
Old 3rd November 2006, 12:03   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Blackberry Pearl 8100
Old 4th November 2006, 13:29   #10
BHPian

well - 3G is further delayed in India, only expected in 2008 - read it in ET today. reason cited is the defence ministry has asked for extension to migrate from this frequency.

hutch is also launching the blackberry handsets for use on their network. it will be much easier to just buy a blackberry handset from them and retain ur number.

i have spoken to a friend of mine who has been a blackberry user from the time airtel launched it - he says its just great. Hutchmail is great - but i dont trust the windows 2003 OS too much.

I would suggest u ask Hutch for a demo of the email feature on the blackberry handset and then decide.
Old 4th November 2006, 16:59   #11
sun
BHPian

Dont even think of any thing other than a WM 2003/ WM 5 phone. None of the other solutions like Series 60 / UIQ will give you the "real" web experience be it mail or internet. I have been a staunch Series 60 user for sometime, but switched to Windows Mobile 2 yrs back and now I am very happy i switched. I am using an O2 XDA mini now, and am planning to shift to WM5 shortly.

Infact I am posting from my phone now
Old 5th November 2006, 10:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Its not a phone but just chekc out the sony Mylo. Its a nice gadget. I will get to play with it around next week alongwith nokia 770 internet table.

Will post a review if possible.
Old 8th November 2006, 23:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Wow guys, thats some superb information out there. Thanks hydrashok, Steeroid, and everyone else who replied that I can't remember (Partly why I need a bloody PDA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok
I myself use an XDA IIi (WiMo 2003 SE PE). I have it configured it to download messages automatically at preset intervals. (No Push). But I'm not a heavy email user/travelling type per se. There are some providers like www.emoze.com (free) that will let you set up your PC (that is online all the time), so that as soon as the email gets downloaded to Outlook on your PC, it gets pushed to your WiMo phone a la Blackberry. But you need a machine online all the time at home or office.
Hmm, but I get a lot of emails, most at unearthly times, plus I travel a lot. My PC has to shut when the office does, so got to have push email.

Quote:
And have you seen the iMate Jaq? There never has been an uglier phone. And tacky build, I've heard. UGH! If you prefer the Jaq's form factor & WiMo5.0, you can think of the stellar PalmOne Treo700w. There's also the HTC Excalibur, but I don't think that is available in India as yet.
Oh, I did. I thought the same way too, but the chick trying to sell it to me was all ga-ga. I thought maybe my sense of aesthetics was a bit off. You restore my confidence. Thank you.

Quote:
3G should be rolled out here by Q4 2007. You see news about 3G spectrum allocations to providers nearly everyday in the papers now. If you will keep your phone for another year anyway, better buy 3G. The E61 rocks 3g.
I'll keep my phone forever if my needs dont expand. Honestly, the only reason why I want a PDA phone is, to get mails when they arrive, and so that my boss can send me tasks day in and day out.. sigh! Otherwise, I'm quite content with crisp phone conversation capabilities, T9 messaging and speakerphone so the cops dont catch me when I'm driving.

Isn't the E61 the Blackberry lookalike from Nokia? It's quite reasonably priced at about 18k. Should I get it based on needs specified? Ok with Hutch as service provider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
As for push email, most windows mobile devices now support AKU2 which is the Microsoft version of Push Email. SE have their own version on UIQ for the P990 and M600, and Nokia have their own version
Firstly, I must congratulate you on your nick. Maybe I can change mine to Stereo-oid. Would be handy.

Secondly, do you mean that the PC needs to stay on for AKU? I can't have that.

Quote:
These phones offer not just BASIC browsing, but full-fledged browsing. You really dont use WAP websites anymore. WAP is history.

You will need data services from your service provider - GPRS/EDGE.

Rocking! Does Hutch have EDGE? I've heard it's something new, no clue beyond that anyway.

Quote:
Finally, I really think you should consider the iMate JASJAM. I have been using one for about a week now and most of the issues that were there at launch seem to have been sorted out. I have not had a single issue over the last seven days, even if its not really a very good sample. The JASJAM comes with a sliding keyboard, 3G, HSDPA (3.5 G), Push Email, Video Calling (2 cameras), GPRS/EDGE, WiFi and everything you could possibly need except GPS. You should try to get the Qtek or HTC version of the same device (HTC is the manufacturer of all these devices) because HTC has cut off its relationship with iMate (which is only a rebranded distributor
Didn't see this one. Seems good from your description. Saw the Jasjar though, and thought it was lusty. Outside my budget though. At that price I can buy a Compaq laptop with a USB data card or something.
I'll check on the Jasjam though. Is it cheaper outside India?

Quote:
Your other option is the SE P990i, but I find the screen too small for any meaningful browsing. Besides, the keyboard is messy
If it's anything like the SE900i, I'll stay away from it.

Quote:
Please avoid the Nokia E series - Nokia are useless at making PDAs and the E series only reinforces this belief. If you dont need a camera or a QWERTY keyboard, you should look at the SE M600i. Its a brilliant PDA phone in a terrific package. No WiFi, No Camera and the keyboard is not a proper QWERTY but a different implementation of QWERTY that will take some getting used to.
Contradicts hydrashok. I am no judge though. But.. I would like a QWERTY keypad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun
Dont even think of any thing other than a WM 2003/ WM 5 phone. None of ..........to WM5 shortly.

Infact I am posting from my phone now
I just replied back from my microwave. Cheers guys!
Old 9th November 2006, 12:24   #14
BHPian

I would say, for u the best phone now would be the HTC TyTN.

IT has that sliding keypad u want, and is also equipped with 3G, Wifi, EDGE, etc. with a great camera.
If u want a real nice review of this fone, there is no better place than this :

HTC TyTN

Another great site for wm5 mobile reviews is :
BengalBoy
Please enter at your own risk, the review style there is a bit different than the normal, with a lil explicit contents.
This guy, bengalboy, gets his hands on fones that are not even released to press, god knows how he sources them out. but usually hes the first to actually review a working piece of a phone in and out!
Old 9th November 2006, 12:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Secondly, do you mean that the PC needs to stay on for AKU? I can't have that.
Nope. The email routing is done through servers on the net that will push the mail to you phone. Your PC is not involved.

Quote:
Rocking! Does Hutch have EDGE? I've heard it's something new, no clue beyond that anyway.
Hutch has EDGE and no its nothing new. In fact its outdated in today's 3G-enabled world.

Quote:
Contradicts hydrashok. I am no judge though. But.. I would like a QWERTY keypad.
JASJAM has a USABLE and largish sliding QWERTY keyboard. The one on the E61 is just about okay with minor adjustments. The one on the SE M600i takes some getting used to because Q&W, E&R, T&Y are on two sides of the same concave button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
I would say, for u the best phone now would be the HTC TyTN.
Thats the JASJAM.

Quote:
I just replied back from my microwave. Cheers guys!
I thought you'd reply from your Amp, but nevermind.

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th November 2006 at 12:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks