Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2006, 13:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Please suggest an upgrade to my PC

I am planning to upgrade my home PC. The current config i have is p4 1.6 GHz, 1 GB DDR Ram, 40 + 80 GB HDD, Creative SB Live Value pack with Cambridge soundworks 4.1 speakers, DVD duel layer writer etc. My current MB has only two PCI slots and they are already filled with Sound card and Firewire card.

The parts i am planning to upgrade are MB, processor, possibly RAM and add a graphics card.

I am planning to have a duel core processor. Which one to go for? Did AMD launch it's duel cores in India. How much does the AMD 3800 X2 cost? How are the new duel core CPUs from Intel?

Also please suggest a good compatiable mother board.

Should I upgrade my RAM from DDR to DDR2?

What is the best value graphics card? I need one that is good for gaming but not very expensive. This card should be compatiable to play current versions of NFS, Colin McRae rally etc.

My budget is RS. 15000 to 20,000.

Advanced thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 7th November 2006, 14:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

the amd x2 3800+ costs approx 8600 and the x2 3600+ is about 6600 the diffence between the is the cache size.....not the clock speed....

if you are getting a new setup then go for am2 board as it is the latest and it takes only ddr2 not ddr.....

go for any board which you like now days every board has a on board sound chip....like the msi ultra am2 nvidia 570 chip set costs nealry 6750....

for display go for only 7300 costs nearly 11000 as it is considered value for money...dont go below that other wise the performace will suffer a lot.....
Old 7th November 2006, 14:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Invest in a good High End MB, like microstar, gigabyte or Asus

Gigabyte - www.gigabyte.com.tw
Microstar - www.microstar.com
Asus - http://in.asus.com/

there are some absolute beauties in these. get a MB with IDE as well as Serial ATA ports, that would help in case you want to add any more new HDDs. if you are going for intel, i would suggest the 865/875 chipset. check this MB from Gigabyte.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...ProductID=1793

cheers
Old 7th November 2006, 14:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
I am planning to upgrade my home PC. The current config i have is p4 1.6 GHz, 1 GB DDR Ram, 40 + 80 GB HDD, Creative SB Live Value pack with Cambridge soundworks 4.1 speakers, DVD duel layer writer etc. My current MB has only two PCI slots and they are already filled with Sound card and Firewire card.
Hmmm, thats a decent config to start with.

Quote:
The parts i am planning to upgrade are MB, processor, possibly RAM and add a graphics card.

I am planning to have a duel core processor. Which one to go for? Did AMD launch it's duel cores in India. How much does the AMD 3800 X2 cost? How are the new duel core CPUs from Intel?

Also please suggest a good compatiable mother board.

Should I upgrade my RAM from DDR to DDR2?
You want to upgrade because you want an upgrade? Or is it that you need your system for some specific task. If its gaming, you will need to upgrade MB and Processor to one which has a PCI Xpress slot. Also take DDR2 as DDR is more expensive now.
Quote:
What is the best value graphics card? I need one that is good for gaming but not very expensive. This card should be compatiable to play current versions of NFS, Colin McRae rally etc.
My budget is RS. 15000 to 20,000.
Advanced thanks for all the suggestions.
There are lots of options available worldwide. But not so much over here. So I suggest you hit your dealer, get model/names of some 5 graphics cards in your budget, and then go on to sites like tomshardware.com and read the reviews.

A general tip. Make sure MB and graphics card you buy is from companies like ASUS/Gigabyte etc., A VIA KT-xx motherboard from Jetway etc,. will not be equivalent to the same chipset from ASUS etc., Most motherboards nowadays have gigabit ethernet and firewire too inbuild, go for that.
Old 7th November 2006, 16:08   #5
BHPian

dont go in for amd,go for intel conroe e6300 will cost u around 9-10 grands as for the graphic card u can go in for 7600gt around 9-12 grands depending upon the company bye the way dont buy a costly graphic card because dx10 cards are around the corner so u can upgrade later
p.s try this forum out very good and u do get fantastic offers for members of this forum check the market sectionhttp://www.techenclave.com/forums/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks