Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2017, 18:16   #1
BHPian

Wrench: A VR puzzle for the car enthusiast

Wrench, an indie game features painstakingly detailed car parts which the developer hopes to use in a rewarding, problem-solving car shop game.
3D artist and car enthusiast Alec Moody is now developing his VR car shop project Wrench full time, and the early results speak for themselves

As explained in his development blog, Moody wanted to create a game that took advantage of his strengths as an artist, and his interest in cars.
“Because I specialize in modeling mechanical objects for video games and am not a programmer, any game I build myself needs to be heavy on art content and light on programming needs”, he wrote. “With that in mind, along with my personal interest in and knowledge of cars and motorsports, I am building a game about working on cars with a focus on preparing them for motorsports.”

Wrench: A VR puzzle for the car enthusiast-screen-shot-20170825-6.02.35-pm.png

With its numerous components modelled to extreme detail thanks to an efficient photogrammetry technique, the game is also ideally suited to VR, as each part is best appreciated at very close range, and motion controllers allow for precise manipulation. The assets are built with texture details that can’t even be resolved by the resolution of current high-end VR hardware.

The footage appears to show the assembly of an MX-5/Miata front subframe, but this will feature as a Bauer Catfish, a kit car with Mazda running gear that has been licensed for the game. Moody hopes to add “other chassis, drivetrains, and aftermarket parts” later in development.

“The most frequently asked question I have been getting is about tools”, he writes in the video description. “I am planning ratchets, combination wrenches, impact tools, pry bars, torque wrenches, a shop press, and more.”

Wrench: A VR puzzle for the car enthusiast-screen-shot-20170825-6.02.41-pm.png
Wrench: A VR puzzle for the car enthusiast-screen-shot-20170825-6.02.55-pm.png

Article link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks