Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2018, 23:40   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
This might be off-topic, but didn't find a better place.

My question is, can one use BSNL's broadband service alone and surrender the land line connection? This is in Kerala.
I think you can. However, the combo plans are the better plans.
Old 12th August 2018, 22:14   #872
BHPian

Hello,

I do have BSNL FTTH connection at home. Recently I purchased a new router to replace the old router. But with the new router, BSNL is refusing connectivity. With the old router, the connection from BSNL works fine. Has anyone here experienced this issue?

I had a word with one of the person in my locality who has experience with BSNL broadband connection. As per him, BSNL maps the connection to the particular MAC id of the router. I am not sure how true is this statement.
Old 13th August 2018, 18:04   #873
Senior - BHPian

I had a horrible experience with BSNL office in Bharatnagar, Magadi Road. I paid Rs.1500 for FTTH connection in first week of June after an assurance of getting the service within a week. The staff thereafter slept on my request and despite several reminders nothing happened. I raised an online complaint in mid of July, then some people came and laid the cable, plugged a 9V power adapter to the new modem and left. What would I do with this? I waited for 3 weeks, again raised an online complaint in the first week of this month, then a technician came to my home and told that 9V power was insufficient. He later removed the battery from the UPS and plugged it to the modem. Then a week passed with false assurance, today visited their office and gave them a cancellation request.

Last edited by deehunk : 13th August 2018 at 18:20.
Old 14th August 2018, 10:09   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
Recently I purchased a new router to replace the old router. But with the new router, BSNL is refusing connectivity. With the old router, the connection from BSNL works fine.
Is that a router that is supplied by default, along with the FTTH connection? I inferred it to be a modem.

Does the after-market router you purchased, support a telephone OUT too? Or, are you not using the telephone capability provided along with the FTTH connection?

PS: I've purchased a Netgear router, and hooked it up to the modem LAN port. Things are working fine, yet, and I do not intend to make changes any time soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I had a horrible experience with BSNL office in Bharatnagar, Magadi Road.
It's 1,277/- that is to be paid initially as deposit at the BSNL office. Wonder why 1,500/- was charged on you.

I'd "reverse-engineered" my way into getting a connection, ie. by requesting the people to come over to my place, check feasibility, and only later did I submit my application form along with the upfront deposit amount. But yes, it did take me nearly 2 months to get this connection, but all's well post it.

PS: FTTH installations and maintenance are handled by private agencies, and am not sure if it's the same agency for your area too. If your area is covered under the Vijayanagar telephone exchange, please do PM. I got 2 numbers that you may find handy in inquiring abou the status of your connection

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st August 2018 at 09:04. Reason: Please avoid posting consecutively. Use the EDIT / QUOTE + functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post instead
Old 14th August 2018, 11:37   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Is that a router that is supplied by default, along with the FTTH connection? I inferred it to be a modem.
Does the after-market router you purchased, support a telephone OUT too? Or, are you not using the telephone capability provided along with the FTTH connection?
No, I purchased it from the market. BSNL has provided me connection through RJ45 cable. They have installed a box in my building. They provide the connection through that box to individuals.
Out of the 4 pairs of RJ45, 3 have been dedicated for broadband & 1 pair is for voice. Voice pair goes to the telephone instrument. 3 pair goes to my router. I do connect to BSNL as PPPoE connection using my credentials.
My previous TP-Link router used to work fine. I am only facing problem with this new router.
Old 21st August 2018, 08:13   #876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
If your area is covered under the Vijayanagar telephone exchange, please do PM. I got 2 numbers that you may find handy in inquiring abou the status of your connection
Thanks Kamath, after my escalation, the staff did a daily follow up and completed the installation to my satisfaction on last Saturday. I am happy with the browsing experience.
Old 26th October 2018, 13:36   #877

Hello!

Upgraded to BSNL 777 FTTH at Mysore. Got an ID/new telephone number. For some reason, the phone number for existing BSNL customers (copper) will not be the same. I was informed that the lead time for FTTH here is around 3-4 weeks. Sigh.

In the meantime, I was told to procure a compatible router for FTTH connection (The person at BSNL suggested Linksys E1200 & TP-Link TL-WR940N.) However, the Modem would be supplied by BSNL. (Free of cost? No idea yet!)

Would you guys suggest the same router or are there better ones?

I'm assuming that my old modem+router : D-Link Wireless N300 ADSL2+ needs to be junked! Any advice?
Old 26th October 2018, 14:22   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojjoseph View Post
Hello!

Upgraded to BSNL 777 FTTH at Mysore. Got an ID/new telephone number. For some reason, the phone number for existing BSNL customers (copper) will not be the same. I was informed that the lead time for FTTH here is around 3-4 weeks. Sigh.

In the meantime, I was told to procure a compatible router for FTTH connection (The person at BSNL suggested Linksys E1200 & TP-Link TL-WR940N.) However, the Modem would be supplied by BSNL. (Free of cost? No idea yet!)

Would you guys suggest the same router or are there better ones?

I'm assuming that my old modem+router : D-Link Wireless N300 ADSL2+ needs to be junked! Any advice?
Get the same D link router without ADSL. N300 is an excellent model. Or Go for a TP-Link Tri-antenna model. That is also excellent

Modem will be provided from BSNL. It is included in the package for FTTH.No extra cost.
Old 27th October 2018, 08:40   #879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Upgraded to BSNL 777 FTTH at Mysore. Got an ID/new telephone number.

Nice ! I changed my plan to this 777 plan. Nice to see 50 Mbps speed for 500GB.

With BSNL FTTH, they gave the modem for the FTTH ( we cannot get one for this part). I have added a wireless router to get WiFi at home for this. Using one from ASUS.

I think the modem is not charged for 6 months as part of the promotional package.
Old 15th November 2018, 13:00   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I changed my plan to this 777 plan. Nice to see 50 Mbps speed for 500GB.
Can you kindly share the details of all charges you incurred in shifting from Broadband to Fiber? Also, is there any online source from BSNL where I can express my interest to shift or do I need to go to the nearest BSNL exchange pretending it isn't 2018.
Old 15th November 2018, 15:07   #881
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Can you kindly share the details of all charges you incurred in shifting from Broadband to Fiber?
Not sure, because my FTTH connection has been on FTTH from day one.

You could just go directly to your local office and ask. One ID / address proof copy will be good - you could submit the application there itself.
Old 15th November 2018, 17:30   #882

Hello Sherlocked

BSNL broadband to BSNL Fiber FTTH cost me the following, thus far:

1. No deposit charges.
2. New router, TP-Link TL-WR940N : ₹ 999/-
3. A wireless USB adapter for my PC : ₹ 700/- (Optional)
4. Waiting for FTTH connection: Priceless
5. I'm told we'd be billed twice (one for existing broadband & another for FTTH) only for the month when FTTH is activated. That hasn't happened yet due to some "System upgradation" at BSNL.!

So only ₹999 router charges for existing BSNL customers.

Online source for BSNL? To give you an idea, I visited BSNL office twice- once to submit the application form, & a second visit 5 days later to remind them to process the application. ��

Further, a computer dedicated to demonstrate high speed of FTTH to customers was installed in the office. When asked if they can show a demo, the staff passed the buck one by one & finally the lady-in-charge arrived. After struggling for 15mins to switch ON the computer, she finally showed pictures on her phone of the speed-test. ��

So I guess an online source for BSNL is a few decades away.
Old 15th November 2018, 18:12   #883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I guess an online source for BSNL is a few decades away.
But I so much prefer going over to speak to a person. I have had enough of namelessness & voices at Airtel. Even for my copper connection, I get a number of the local technician and he responds quite quickly. Not that everyone is like that, but I feel more comfortable this way.
Old 15th November 2018, 21:01   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
Hello,

I had a word with one of the person in my locality who has experience with BSNL broadband connection. As per him, BSNL maps the connection to the particular MAC id of the router. I am not sure how true is this statement.
Most routers let you spoof the MAC id. Just copy the old router's MAC address to the new one. This should solve the issue if that's the case.

I'm not on BSNL but my operator does the same.
Old 16th November 2018, 12:28   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Most routers let you spoof the MAC id. Just copy the old router's MAC address to the new one. This should solve the issue if that's the case.

I'm not on BSNL but my operator does the same.
Hello,

Yes, MAC spoofing is one of the options which I found afterward.
In my case, we added the credential in ONT itself, so that MAC of ONT is registered. Now my WiFi router just acts as a DHCP client.
ONT has been shifted in my home, so hopefully no security issue as well.
On a side note, it was really difficult to deal with BSNL employees. Our call was picked up after more than 150 attempts. The literally just keep the receiver on the desk so that no one should be able to call.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks