Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2008, 17:20   #2101
BHPian

Venky,
I wouldnt take that chance. Its a risk on an investment of nearly .5 lakhs isnt it. My friend just purchased a sony 50 LCD and his panel went kaput for some reason after 6 months. SInce he was covered under warranty he escape, else it would have been a horror story. We have many such instances.

Having said that the warranty is only for 1 yr and after that all of us are on our own and law of average states that its very rare for the unit to fail in that one year time. So, one is the custom hassle etc other is warranty.

I know a guy who does this, if you are really interested can put you on to him when I am back.
Old 24th November 2008, 17:38   #2102
BHPian

Hi Ram

Ya I know. It IS risky but the only thing that is tempting is the possibility of saving some dough on the purchase. Well, if the panel goes kaput, we are helpless. But as you said this is rare within 1 year. Usually these things give trouble only after the warranty gets over and that would be the same for showroom purchases as well as grey market purchases. It would cost the same to get the stuff repaired after the warranty is over.

Please do give me the guy's contact details once you are back. I would like to make some enquiries at least for comparison. Whether I would actually buy from him is a totally different story altogether. But I would like to know how much difference there would be if we chose to buy the plasma thru the grey market route.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 24th November 2008, 19:20   #2103
BHPian

Will do, I will email him and check for a quote. Which one do you want a quote for? I am not really sure if he will reply, but I will check
Old 24th November 2008, 20:11   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Now a very practical question to friends here. I need to chip the wall from the cabinet to the centre of the Plasma for all the cables to be concealed behind the plaster & paint. My carpenter suggested 3 pipes put together of 1 inch size each. But I wanted to be more practical than being sorry after all the work is done. Just tried the HDMI cable through a 1 inch pipe, it could not pass. Even a component cable with the 3 heads will not pass through. Could someone guide me on this ? Electrician will come in the morning and finish the work by lunchtime.

Please share what you have done (on a wall mounted Plasma or LCD) with the cables. Suggestions please !
Old 24th November 2008, 23:15   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Shaju

Please use external channels - That is most practical.
Old 25th November 2008, 00:07   #2106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Now a very practical question to friends here. I need to chip the wall from the cabinet to the centre of the Plasma for all the cables to be concealed behind the plaster & paint. My carpenter suggested 3 pipes put together of 1 inch size each. But I wanted to be more practical than being sorry after all the work is done. Just tried the HDMI cable through a 1 inch pipe, it could not pass. Even a component cable with the 3 heads will not pass through. Could someone guide me on this ? Electrician will come in the morning and finish the work by lunchtime.

Please share what you have done (on a wall mounted Plasma or LCD) with the cables. Suggestions please !
got a wooden cover on the wall from the bottom of the lcd to the floor. in front of that have put shelves and placed my stb, dvd, amp and ps3 on those. the wooden cover sticks out 2 inches from the wall and is the width of the lcd.
Old 25th November 2008, 21:09   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Mini project started today !

I am re-doing my entertainment wall from today. I will be giving a photo story of the same so that it might help someone who wants to do the same. The schedule of things are as follows;
Tuesday, 25th November
1) Chipping the wall, running extra points, hiding the cable pipes
2) Plastering and covering the wall
3) Fitting the cabinet for HT unit, Set up box, other accessories

Wednesday, 26th November
4) Painting to a theme called asian paints ragging

Thursday, 27th November
5) Fitting of all the switches and boards
6) Mounting the Plasma to the wall
7) Installing and tuning of the Home theatre and other accesories

So, day one was completed successfully. Here are the photos;

Previous set up with the 29" Flat TV
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-1.jpg

Chipping and cabling. You can see two red pipes of 2" each. I prefered 2 because back panel has 2 HDMI, 2 component, S-Video, power cable, RF, AV out etc. so 1 pipe will not do any good if every out and in ports are to be used at a later stage.
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-3.jpg

Plastering
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-13.jpg

Cabinet fixing
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-11.jpg

Day 2 will have only the painting, and nothing can be done till it dries well. Therefore I will post more pictures by Thursday with almost a complete work. Curiously waiting to see the final outcome. I cant wait to watch some movies on the new Plasma and the new Home theatre cheers:
Old 25th November 2008, 21:15   #2108
BHPian

great going Shaj, keep us posted.
Old 25th November 2008, 22:17   #2109
Senior - BHPian

One thing I forgot to mention, the red pipe (2" size) which you see in the picture is what comes with the 3M sunfilm rolled on it. Somehow I thought of preserving it since 1 year, just because of its solid body and the size, now it came to use. Re-doing an entertainment wall, I must say, is as equal as getting the ICE done on a car, my be more, because car can not have a 42" screen for sure, also can not think of a 5.1 DTS surround system for movies. I am impatiently waiting for Thursday !
Old 25th November 2008, 22:26   #2110
BHPian

shaj: How about Vinyl flooring in wood strips for the living to add to the decor. I am doing it for my house, its costing 35 rs/ sq ft.
Old 25th November 2008, 22:57   #2111
Senior - BHPian

You read my mind ! I thought about it 6 months back, but the only practical problem is getting the living room empty. Its almost impossible, since other rooms are occupied to its full and can not take anything of the living room even for a day. Secondly, there is a 2.6 year old boy running around whole day ! Even today he was in the middle of the chipping and plastering inspite of the brick dust and cement flying all around the place. Hope he doesnt get a cold or fever once my new set up is complete !

Only option to get it done is sending wifee and kid to her house (mumbai) for a week. I can fill one room with everything and get the living room empty. My sofa is dark brown, HT cabinet is dark brown, even the wall lights have got brownish wooden part, therefore it would look great with a brown wooden floor. Let me know once you are done, some details on the brand, type, cost etc also will be very useful.
Old 25th November 2008, 23:18   #2112
BHPian

LOL Good to keep reading your mind, after allwe both have Jeeps in the profile pic . Sure Shaj will send pics etc after completing the work.
Old 26th November 2008, 00:23   #2113
Senior - BHPian

Is it worth importing a 32" HD LCD from London? I have few questions if someone can help me.
1) are there any kind of duties involved?
2) Which brand/model should i look at?

I am going to use this mainly for Gaming on the PS3.
Old 26th November 2008, 00:24   #2114
BHPian

Heavyfoot: This topic was just discussed. Read the last 3-4 pages
Old 26th November 2008, 01:19   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Heavyfoot: This topic was just discussed. Read the last 3-4 pages
I am looking for info on 32" HD LCD and about getting it from London. Did not find any info there buddy.

Most Viewed