Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 02:09   #2116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
I am looking for info on 32" HD LCD and about getting it from London. Did not find any info there buddy.
What we were discussing was, is it worth bring it paying the Customs? Looks with customs and all it might end up being the same. So its your decision.

My experience, UK is generally costly for electronics compared to Sing/HK. Some higher than India itself. For example, the P80 sells in India for 56K and in UK for 48to 50k. So it might not be worth importing it to save that 6k add it to it you get warranty in india.
Old 26th November 2008, 02:20   #2117
Team-BHP Support

customs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
I am looking for info on 32" HD LCD and about getting it from London. Did not find any info there buddy.
Check out VSG12777's posts and subsequent replies on the previous page.

Doesn't matter where you bring the TV from, Customs will only bother about the duty to bring it into India.

Buy your TV from India. Warranty will cover it and if you shop around you'll get a good deal.
Sometimes, the low cost for buying a product overseas is offset by the duties + if your TV conks off, you're left with a HUGE paper-weight at home.
Old 26th November 2008, 10:19   #2118
Senior - BHPian

Read somewhere that for a good experience with your 1080p viewing, you should be sitting at 3 times the distance of the screens diagonal length.

True?
Old 26th November 2008, 12:22   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Read somewhere that for a good experience with your 1080p viewing, you should be sitting at 3 times the distance of the screens diagonal length.

True?
For a 50" 1080p screen, the recommended viewing distance is less than 10ft to realize the full benefit of the resolution. See the link below for a detailed article.

1080p Does Matter - Here's When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) CarltonBale.com
Old 26th November 2008, 13:12   #2120
BHPian

Hi Shajufx

Great to see your work being done for the plasma wall mount and for the cables to be concealed. Can't wait to see the whole thing finished. I am sure it would look great.

Yes the vinyl wood flooring would look superb and it's not much at 35 bucks per sq foot, but considering you have a kid running all over the house, it's better to do it when your wife and kid are not around - so that you won't have to worry about the kid tripping / falling down, and so that you would be able to move some stuff out of the hall for the flooring work.

Thursday is tomorrow !! Can't wait to see your completed "plasma entertainment wall" !!

Ram - when I visited E-Zone around 2 weeks back, I was in the Philips home theatre room and the guy there gave me a catalogue which had the older home theatre range. The HTS 4750 is listed and looks good. This is the one you have isn't it ?
Old 26th November 2008, 13:18   #2121
BHPian

Jkdas

Like Appuchan has said, one has to sit less than 10 feet away from a 50 inch 1080p TV to see the difference between 720p and 1080p. This is something most people won't do - who would sit closer than 10 feet from a huge 50 inch TV ? Usual distance is around 12-13 feet, and at this distance the human eye cannot make out the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 50 inch screen.

You can check out the link he has provided which clearly illustrates this.

Some people who have paid so much extra and bought a 1080p TV, do justify that they CAN see the difference. But the reality is, the human eye can't see the difference at that distance.

I have more or less decided to go in only for a HD-ready plasma. Either a 42 inch next month, or will wait till Feb-Mar and get a 50 inch Panasonic PV80 directly.
Old 26th November 2008, 16:55   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Now a very practical question to friends here. I need to chip the wall from the cabinet to the centre of the Plasma for all the cables to be concealed behind the plaster & paint. My carpenter suggested 3 pipes put together of 1 inch size each. But I wanted to be more practical than being sorry after all the work is done. Just tried the HDMI cable through a 1 inch pipe, it could not pass. Even a component cable with the 3 heads will not pass through. Could someone guide me on this ? Electrician will come in the morning and finish the work by lunchtime.

Please share what you have done (on a wall mounted Plasma or LCD) with the cables. Suggestions please !
Hi,
I used a flexible cable management thing manufactured by MX, it cost me about Rs 150 for a 1.5 mtr length. It will hold a HDMI cable along with 2 sets of audio cable, 1 component cable and my regular tv cable. I will try to post a picture.
Old 26th November 2008, 18:35   #2123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post

or will wait till Feb-Mar and get a 50 inch Panasonic PV80 directly.

join the club

btw anyone got good offers on the 50pv700 since the model is now discontinued?
Old 26th November 2008, 18:40   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
Hi,
I used a flexible cable management thing manufactured by MX, it cost me about Rs 150 for a 1.5 mtr length. It will hold a HDMI cable along with 2 sets of audio cable, 1 component cable and my regular tv cable. I will try to post a picture.
You are talking about the plastic flexible tube like thing right? But still the cable will be seen outside correct?
Old 26th November 2008, 21:56   #2125
BHPian

guys,

i noticed while watching CNBC i found the scrolling text & the stock tickers to be very irritating to the eyes - i was not able to watch that portion for more than a minute. This is on PV80 and i just wanted to know if anyone else has observed it. i tried playing with the settings and none of them helped.

Jassi & Saji i would like to hear from you guys as you are also in Hatway.

Last edited by nemo : 26th November 2008 at 21:57.
Old 26th November 2008, 23:09   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
guys,

i noticed while watching CNBC i found the scrolling text & the stock tickers to be very irritating to the eyes - i was not able to watch that portion for more than a minute. This is on PV80 and i just wanted to know if anyone else has observed it. i tried playing with the settings and none of them helped.

Jassi & Saji i would like to hear from you guys as you are also in Hatway.
I am not into stock, but for what its worth - I just checked and for the 5 mins i saw the quotes scroll - didnt see anything crazy - but yes if i kept looking at it for an hour i am sure i will be hypnotized
Old 27th November 2008, 08:20   #2127
BHPian

Some questions

Hey Jassi

(1) Is viewing text really that bad on plasmas compared to LCDs ? I know LCDs are recommended if there's gonna be a lot of computer usage while plasmas are best for movies and normal TV programmes. But the point that Nemo has brought up regarding the scrolling text on the news channels has got me thinking a bit.

(2) By the way the CES 2009 is scheduled to take place as usual in the 1st week of Jan 2009. Is Panasonic likely to launch its 2009 range of plasmas there ?

I am now thinking - should I wait for the next gen range of plasmas from Panasonic and go for the 42/50 inch out of that range ?

Your views please

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 27th November 2008, 10:14   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
You are talking about the plastic flexible tube like thing right? But still the cable will be seen outside correct?
Yes, that is true but it won't look like a crow's nest. The next best thing is get the carpenter to make a cable tray with a hinged cover I suppose.
Old 27th November 2008, 11:45   #2129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Jassi

(1) Is viewing text really that bad on plasmas compared to LCDs ? I know LCDs are recommended if there's gonna be a lot of computer usage while plasmas are best for movies and normal TV programmes. But the point that Nemo has brought up regarding the scrolling text on the news channels has got me thinking a bit.
Dont think! Go and take a look yourself and decide!

I have found no issues with scrolling text.

Quote:
(2) By the way the CES 2009 is scheduled to take place as usual in the 1st week of Jan 2009. Is Panasonic likely to launch its 2009 range of plasmas there ?

I am now thinking - should I wait for the next gen range of plasmas from Panasonic and go for the 42/50 inch out of that range ?

Your views please

Venkat - The next generation will not be out till at least September next. The next generation is going to see the shift to the 5 lumen technology. (Did you read the links that were posted earlier?). Technology will keep improving - you can end up waiting endlessly!!
Old 27th November 2008, 12:14   #2130
Senior - BHPian

hey venkat,

from what i have seen, generally once panasonic announces thier new range, there is a slight price cut and good deals are offered by the dealers, cos the new range would be out in india by july going by the previous experience (pv8 was availble in hyd from july itself) and that time would be a good time to pick up a 42/50 incher.

Most Viewed