Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2009, 14:31   #3226
BANNED

Not sure but set of DVD's(downscaled to normal DVD format) is available in many online stores, but i have in HDD in HD format.
Old 12th December 2009, 11:43   #3227
Distinguished - BHPian

Need a Full HD 46inch LCD.
Prefered brands: Samsung, Sony, Panasonic
Plus points: manufacturer provides extended warranty

Are LED TV's worth it?

Please advice along with approx pricing? Would there be consumer offers once again in Xmas like there are during Diwali on LCDs?
Old 12th December 2009, 11:52   #3228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Prefered brands: Samsung, Sony, Panasonic
Plus points: manufacturer provides extended warranty

Are LED TV's worth it?

Please advice along with approx pricing? Would there be consumer offers once again in Xmas like there are during Diwali on LCDs?
I was looking for 40" panel and i also considered LED. I did not find LED worth the extra price. The best price i could manage for Samsung was 95k Rupees. I would suggest you to get a bigger LCD for the price. Its just my own opinion.

I finally bought a 40" Samsung Full HD LCD and kept the rest of the money for a Home theater setup.
Old 13th December 2009, 12:14   #3229
Distinguished - BHPian

40inch is too small, I am replacing my 42inch plasma that went bust. Hence would like an upsize
Old 13th December 2009, 12:20   #3230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
40inch is too small, I am replacing my 42inch plasma that went bust. Hence would like an upsize
The Edge mount LED's are not worth it. Only the proper LED backlit ones are worth it.

I believe in India only LG and sony have LED backlit ones. The Sony is the X series and not the ZX series.

The ZX are edge mounted LED's that is why they are so slim. Performance wise the RGB backlit ones are better in PQ.
Old 13th December 2009, 16:05   #3231
BHPian

Quote:
Sahil, get a 46 or 47 inch LCD (or) a 50 inch Plasma !
Old 13th December 2009, 17:02   #3232
BHPian

Quote:
Sahil, how and what happened to your 42" plasma?
Old 14th December 2009, 10:48   #3233
BANNED

Sahil why just 46"?its not proper upgrade, go for 52" Panasonic Plasma V10 best 52" full HD Plasma i ever saw.costs around 1.4L and value for each penny you pay.
Or check out the Philips ultra wide(22:9) LCD but costs a bomb around 4.5L.
Old 14th December 2009, 13:20   #3234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Sahil why just 46"?its not proper upgrade, go for 52" Panasonic Plasma V10 best 52" full HD Plasma i ever saw.costs around 1.4L and value for each penny you pay.
Or check out the Philips ultra wide(22:9) LCD but costs a bomb around 4.5L.
Guys remember that viewing distance matters for LCD/Plasma, do not get a bigger size just because you want a bigger size...decide based on your room size.
Old 14th December 2009, 13:47   #3235
BANNED

Also depends upon what kind of content you are going to watch as my 42" Plasma is good enough at 8 feet for SD and if i play HD or full HD its ok to watch as low as 5 feet.
This distance is same for my 32" LCD even after its smaller in size.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:15   #3236
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of our viewing is still regular DTH (Tata Sky PLUS) no one in the house is a real movie buff to justify spending over a lakh on the TV. 52inch would be a little too big. 42 was a decent size but 46 would be perfect.

@vvrchandra: The damn Hitachi plasma went bust due to moisture problems in the monsoon. Hitachi does not have proper service back up either.
Old 14th December 2009, 18:15   #3237
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
LCD = Sharp. They somehow manage the best clarity. I deeply regret choosing a sony.
Old 14th December 2009, 18:27   #3238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
LCD = Sharp. They somehow manage the best clarity. I deeply regret choosing a sony.
Sharp as in the brand right. I have also heard good things about Sharp but they dont seem very popular, maybe because of the Koreans.

Sahil - For SD content, I have heard that Plasmas are better than LCDs. I have a 42" Samsung plasma and it is rally good. Even in bright light.

Last edited by Proxima : 14th December 2009 at 18:31.
Old 14th December 2009, 19:07   #3239
Senior - BHPian

Sharp is Japanese. They have had the best LCDs for quite sometime. Sony is all brightness which doesn't actually equate to clarity of picture or colour depth. Sony showrooms will keep playing HD content which always looks good.

But if most of your viewing is STB or DTH suggest you look at Plasma's. Panasonic is the current favourite.
Old 14th December 2009, 23:06   #3240
BHPian

Ok on Service Menus. I feel stupid writing this. Going with the flow, I decided to check the hours played on my Plasma the second day of bringing it home. Entered the service menu, got relieved seeing only 6 hours on TV. Then in a strange moment, entered Tool menu (once a hacker, always a hacker). Saw options for USB and bluetooth, but just as I thought of coming out of the service menu by pressing 'Return' on the remote, I got the shock of my life- Return button changes menu options!! Suddenly I saw my Plasma changing from 42PQ70 to 42PQ200R to 42PQ30 and a few more models! And then the menu disappeared!

I entered again and tried to cover my tracks through the Tools menu, but the best I could manage was returning back to 42PQ70. Even after that, the input icons looked strangely out of shape (AV icons were replaced by a weird PC cable icon) and the language and region settings were all over the place!

I searched on the Internet for a clue, cure or atleast LG service manual, but no help! It was around 3 am and I thought of sleeping over the issue- gave LG support a call first thing in the morning and they assured me their engineer will get the TV back to factory settings!

So the first engineer comes and has no clue of the service menu (he is receiving instructions over the phone). Then the second guy comes, he also fumbles around with the service menu for what seems like an eternity, manages to reset the 'hours played' (So much for entering the Service Menu in the First Place!!! ) and still can't locate the factory reset button. Finally, he gets my input icons back, but the language and region still are out of place.

I feel my TV needs a factory reset, or else I'll ask the next technician to do a firmware reinstall (if he comes across as competent enough). Let's see how it goes. Suggestions are welcome guys.

In any case, here's a lesson learnt. It is no point checking for hours played through Service Menu. It isn't worth the bother, plus it can be reset in exactly 1 minute by anyone who knows how to, and worse, just the act of checking it can seriously backfire.

Most Viewed