Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 13:55   #5266
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
that is an amazing price. I got mine last month - UA40D5900 for 57k after a lot of haggling. How does this place manage such prices?
Have you tried using a LAN connection on your tv? Tried it on mine but it ain't able to find it & don't want to spend an extra 2k on the dongle cause then i will have to get a router at home also.
They manage these prices as they are imported sets from Thailand/Malaysia hence not warranted, better known as grey market sets. I have been using them since many years without a single issue and easily repairable at the authorised/3rd party service centers but at a payment in the remote event of some problem arising.

I have tried and am using LAN on my TV which works perfectly.
Old 10th February 2012, 16:47   #5267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Congrats racingmachine. Thats a sweet deal.
Thanks!

Just got the TV installed. It definitely needs a HD set top box. Still confused as to which one to get. I am thinking of going for the Dish truHD+

Though i tried some 760/1080 movies from my pen drive, in a couple of cases the video was playing but there was no audio. The technician said it's because the audio format must not be supported.

Anyways, love every bit of it. The technician mentioned there is no such issue of burn-in/IR in today's plasma tv's, it was an issue 2-3 years back. Still i think i will take some precautions.
Old 11th February 2012, 20:12   #5268
Senior - BHPian

What video file formats are supported by Panasonic Plasma (X series) ?

I am not able to find this on their website.

Rohan
Old 11th February 2012, 21:12   #5269
Senior - BHPian

.avi works on Panasonic panels. More should be supported but am not aware. On my panel wmv does not work for sure neither does the Quick time format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
What video file formats are supported by Panasonic Plasma (X series) ?

I am not able to find this on their website.

Rohan
Old 13th February 2012, 18:41   #5270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
So i really couldn't resist the PQ of Panasonic P42ST30D and finally ended up buying it. Got it for Rs. 57,000/-. That's the best i could bargain for it.

Will receive it at my place tomorrow afternoon.

PS: To all the plasma users- Do i need to take care of the Burn-in issues for first few hours of running the tv or just let it be.

Secondly, which HD DTH would you recommend? I currently have dish tv normal set-top box.
I own the same model, you got a superb deal! Don't worry about the pixel bern in as these models have pixel shifting tech which takes care of this. This was an issue with older gen Plasmas but not with the current crop. Invest in a good high quality HDMI cable and get the Panasonic BDP-110 or thg BDP-210 player. These players have been highly rated and the perfect pair for your TV.

Enjoy your TV
Old 15th February 2012, 14:21   #5271
Senior - BHPian

I have a doubt regarding video playback through USB port in LCD TVs (Sony, Samsung and LG).

Is this USB port meant only for playing video files ? Or is it possible to pause, forward and rewind the video the way we do in a DVD player ?

I have read some user reviews where the users are complaining that it is not possible to pause, forward and rewind.

I have shortlisted 2 models:
1. Samsung Series 5 LCD 32 inch with inbuilt woofer and tweeter
2. LG Jazz LCD 32 inch with inbuilt woofer and tweeter

Samsung Series 5 has DLNA feature, whereas LG Jazz has IPS panel.

Please help me decide. (I want good SQ in addition to good PQ)

Rohan
Old 15th February 2012, 14:40   #5272
BHPian

Thanks to all those who helped me take a decision. Irrespective of the inclination towards a Panasonic Plasma TV, had to choose the Sony Bravia Full HD LCD (mostly my wife's liking and didn't want to disappoint her!).

Now comes some more questions being the initial inquisitive me.

I tried connecting my Seagate Freeagent GO 500gb hard-disk, but the TV did not recognize it. However when I connect my 8GB pen-drive, its immediately detected. Any help here would be greatly appreciated, as most of my movies are in my HD and transferring them to the pendrive is becoming quite a pain.

This TV also has an internet connectivity option via a wireless dongle, but looking at reviews from other websites it seems to be compatible only with the wireless dongle from Sony. Have any of you tried a different dongle and has it worked?

Looking forward for your help and responses.

Cheers,
Si1ver0ne
Old 15th February 2012, 16:09   #5273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Is this USB port meant only for playing video files ? Or is it possible to pause, forward and rewind the video the way we do in a DVD player ?

I have read some user reviews where the users are complaining that it is not possible to pause, forward and rewind.
I can speak for Samsung TVs as two of my close friends own Samsung LCD TVs. The media player in Samsung is just amazing, you throw a file to it and it plays. Not only pause, rewind, forward, it also remembers the last seek position and continues from there when you play the same file next time.
Gandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 16:15   #5274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr
I have a doubt regarding video playback through USB port in LCD TVs (Sony, Samsung and LG).

Rohan
Samsung very well works just as a dvd player / any other media player and plays almost all formats other than rmvb. You can pause,play,rewind ,forward (upto32x).displays subtitles as well & has a good interface for navigation.

Sony's USB port is good for nothing, plays only mpeg1 & 2. (i hv EX series)

No idea on LG though.I have only sony & samsung at home.
In any i case i would recommend SAMSUNG.
For SQ its better to buy a soundbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1ver0ne
Thanks to all those who helped me take a decision. Irrespective of the inclination towards a Panasonic Plasma TV, had to choose the Sony Bravia Full HD LCD (mostly my wife's liking and didn't want to disappoint her!).

Now comes some more questions being the initial inquisitive me.

I tried connecting my Seagate Freeagent GO 500gb hard-disk, but the TV did not recognize it. However when I connect my 8GB pen-drive, its immediately detected. Any help here would be greatly appreciated, as most of my movies are in my HD and transferring them to the pendrive is becoming quite a pain.

This TV also has an internet connectivity option via a wireless dongle, but looking at reviews from other websites it seems to be compatible only with the wireless dongle from Sony. Have any of you tried a different dongle and has it worked?

Looking forward for your help and responses.

Cheers,
Si1ver0ne
It does not support an HDD so big.Max would be 40GB.You'll have to do with a pen drive only.
Or buy a media player like asus oplay air , it would connect your HDD and do the wifi thing as well.(it supports hdd upti 2TB and has youtube etc..)
Otherwise the Sony dongle.

Last edited by k2max6 : 15th February 2012 at 16:22.
k2max6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 16:38   #5275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Samsung very well works just as a dvd player / any other media player and plays almost all formats other than rmvb. You can pause,play,rewind ,forward (upto32x).displays subtitles as well & has a good interface for navigation.

Sony's USB port is good for nothing, plays only mpeg1 & 2. (i hv EX series)

No idea on LG though.I have only sony & samsung at home.
In any i case i would recommend SAMSUNG.
For SQ its better to buy a soundbar.

LG too plays most stuff. My friend has an LG and even has his NAS connected to it. Works fine.

Just a small review of my Toshiba - 32PB1E - 32 inch REGZA Power TV - Power Booster (PB) Series | TV - LCD TV - Toshiba Malaysia which I bought for 17.5k. Awesome sound quality than I expected! Had to post about it !
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 22:18   #5276
BHPian

I wanted a 42" Plasma without 3D, but full HD. The only choice was P42U30D. Then i thought I will wait for the 2012 Plasmas from Panasonic. I found out that the Only Non 3D Model to be launched in 2012 will be the P50U50 (50") and no 42" Model will be launched without 3D. So the decision was made to go in for the P42U30D.

Now the problem was that the Panasonic P42U30D wasn't available anywhere. Suddenly it became available on Flipkart for Delhi today.

I have ordered it at a price of Rs 42,440/=. If anybody has been looking for this model but not finding it, try Flipkart before they run out of stock again.

Can somebody help me a few things :

1. I understand that it will be installed by a technician from Panasonic. Will the TV come with a Wall mount kit, and will the engineer wall mount it for us ?

2. I have a normal Tata Sky connection, how does one upgrade to HD ? What is the cost involved ? Is the monthly subscription higher for a HD Connection ? What is the resolution of a Tata Sky HD Connection ?

3. I want to connect the Ethernet Port of the P42U30D to my home network and be able to browse and play media off a shared Windows Computer. Is this possible ? If not will it be possible with the wireless dongle ? Is the Wireless Dongle available for this TV ?

Thanks people for all your help.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 18th February 2012 at 22:21.
Old 19th February 2012, 00:37   #5277
Senior - BHPian

See replies in bold within your post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Can somebody help me a few things :

1. I understand that it will be installed by a technician from Panasonic. Will the TV come with a Wall mount kit, and will the engineer wall mount it for us ?

A wall mount kit is supplied by Panasonic when bought from off line stores. In your case it would either come with the tv (in a separate box) or the installer may carry the same. You could check with either Flipkart's custoer service or Panasonic's.

2. I have a normal Tata Sky connection, how does one upgrade to HD ? What is the cost involved ? Is the monthly subscription higher for a HD Connection ? What is the resolution of a Tata Sky HD Connection ?

You can call up the Tata Sky helpline and ask for your STB to be upgraded. They will advise you the costs involved for the TATASky HD and the HD+ boxes and will buy back the old box for 300/-

Monthly subscription is the same.

Resolution for Tata Sky HD is 1080p

3. I want to connect the Ethernet Port of the P42U30D to my home network and be able to browse and play media off a shared Windows Computer. Is this possible ? If not will it be possible with the wireless dongle ? Is the Wireless Dongle available for this TV ?

If the RJ45 port is there then yes you can connect a LAN cable.
Yes, you can get a panasonic compatible wireless dongle (Netgear 3100 series) The installer will have the exact model number.

Thanks people for all your help.

Styler
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 09:19   #5278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
See replies in bold within your post below.
Thanks Khoj,
You answered all my questions....
I just went to tatasky.com and there the HD Resolution mentioned is 1080i not 1080p.
Can somebody using it confirm ?

Last edited by Styler : 19th February 2012 at 09:38.
Old 19th February 2012, 11:42   #5279
Senior - BHPian

I am using it and it is indeed 1080i just as you found out on their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Thanks Khoj,
You answered all my questions....
I just went to tatasky.com and there the HD Resolution mentioned is 1080i not 1080p.
Can somebody using it confirm ?
Old 19th February 2012, 13:37   #5280
BHPian

I just checked the Tatasky HD + upgrade is for Rs 4850/=
Now I am confused if I should get the Tatasky HD+ installed first or the Panasonic P42U30D TV first.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks