Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 12:06   #5506
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Pana India guys are waiting for June to send out stock - they had warned of price rise due to weakening INR late April.

Croma is usually the first to run out of stock of Pana plasmas. If the stock level is <10 in a city, they don't put up any on the wall. Instead, all the ones that DON'T sell, like Vu, make an appearance on the wall. For example, as of last week, there was 1 (one) piece of Pana 50ST30 available in the Croma warehouse in Bangalore, and no Pana plasmas on display in any Croma. With the xxST50 models anticipated, no one wants to pick up that 50ST30 piece (despite Croma willing to give it for 89K).

Reliance has a similar strategy. Both Reliance and Croma operate on a BATCH TO SELL basis, not STOCK LOW - REORDER basis. From consumers' p-o-v, no doubt that is a pessimistic way of doing things, but one cannot run a retail operation of high cost FMCG items on a REORDER basis, unless demand outstrips supply. More so under circumstances where no one wants to buy older models anticipating constant model refresh. The situation is worse with Tablets, phones etc. where consumer behaviour is difficult to predict.

Last edited by DerAlte : 29th May 2012 at 12:08.
Old 30th May 2012, 13:56   #5507
Distinguished - BHPian

The question is - why do Croma and Reliance continue to display the LG LW6500 series on the walls when the new LM6200 series (2012 range) is already announced.

I understand the "high value" aspect making logistics a nightmere, but that's ommon issue for all brands. What's unique is - Panasonic and Toshiba are always given step motherly treatment at all regular multibrand stores.

Many sales guys told me this is because Panasonic and Toshiba want to promote Plasma tech instead of LED/LCD. Plasma is "against" the popular consumer choice!!! I asked them why the shopkeepers decide on that, let the consumer decide it and they say "Plasma ka maal pade rehta hain (the stock only piles up) - which becomes a headacke for us"...

I am sure there may be other reasons like dealer margins etc...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 30th May 2012 at 13:58.
Old 30th May 2012, 16:36   #5508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
The question is - why do Croma and Reliance continue to display the LG LW6500 series on the walls when the new LM6200 series (2012 range) is already announced. ...
Announced, but not made available to distributors!!! Also, the reason why they are on the walls is because they need to be visible to move - decent numbers in stock. So what should the retailer do when new model is announced and there is stock of old model?

Quote:
... are always given step motherly treatment at all regular multibrand stores. ... other reasons like dealer margins etc...
There are no emotions here (of any kind, incl. technology, features, allure, 'step motherly' etc.) - only money talks. The MBS' offtake is commensurate with previous model sales, not what the manufacturer wants to push. It is the ability of the manufacturer's sales guys to get their products on the wall - how they convince the MBS to do it, and incentivises it for the MBS. If they don't think a certain channel is not efficient, they don't push it there.

OTOH, manufacturers also hedge their bets by using other channels, like 'brand shops', which they know are more effective for some models. Also, it is not the same treatment by a manufacturer across the models. The 'commodity' models (< 42") are pushed more through smaller stores (lesser wall space).

Do you really think Panasonic, Toshiba, etc. will cannibalize sales of their LCDs & LEDs by pushing only Plasma? The front-end guys that one talks to at the MBS know only half the information - in most cases it is their personal view of how they think the world is.
Old 30th May 2012, 17:01   #5509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Announced, but not made available to distributors!!!

There are no emotions here (of any kind, incl. technology, features, allure, 'step motherly' etc.) - only money talks.

Do you really think Panasonic, Toshiba, etc. will cannibalize sales of their LCDs & LEDs by pushing only Plasma? The front-end guys that one talks to at the MBS know only half the information - in most cases it is their personal view of how they think the world is.

I have been reaserching for a good 3 months before I bought mine this month and even when no new models were announced, there were hardly any Toshiba's and Panasonics in the multi brand stores.

Then I wondered if Panasonic/Toshiba are betting big on their own showrooms while LG/Samsung are taking the regular sales channel, but nope - the scene was (and is still today) as pathetic at Panasonic brand showrooms as is in the LG stores!

There is something wrong with Panasonic and Toshiba org structure/business plan for India - for sure. They are just not doing as good as they could have, in spite of 3 year warranty that nobody else is offering.

Definately there are technologies that are unique strengths (Flat panel TVs are not yet entirely commoditized like the CRT's):
- Panasonic are famed for their Plasma's and they are very enthusiatic with the Plasma tech more than LG/Samsung. Even within their own range, they are really putting much more weight behind plasma's than LEDs. There is no question about it.

- LG is betting big with passive 3D. They are the only reputed company to sell and promote FPR. They may have active 3D but they are not selling it and Samsung/Sony/Panasonic may have passive 3D but they are not promoting it. It's very clear in the market.

- Sharp is testing waters with Quattron - RGB and "Y". They have been accused of altering the original picture on their own. A TV that "manipulates" original picture is considered sort of "unethical" by the reviewers and experts (I read a very interesting review on www.hdtvtest.co.uk about Sharp Quattron panels). And just like Panasonic and Toshiba, I see very little of Sharp at mutil brand stores!

We may not call it emotional or passion driven, but certainly there is a theme based thinking inside the companies that's not driven only by commericals. And why not - technology really is a worthy differentiator, it can be used genuinely rather than putting up just another TV on the wall.

As for the size, even in the <42" category, I hardly find a Panasonic or Toshiba or Sharp in the regular shops.
I think, as far as sales network is concerned, these guys have lost it to LG/Samsung in India.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 30th May 2012 at 17:11.
Old 30th May 2012, 23:51   #5510
BHPian

Even in Panasonic brand shop plasma panels are very few in number. Most trustworthy websites and magazines harp on the inherent better picture quality of plasmas over LEDs. However plasmas has very little visibility in the showroom, both multi brand and single brand. Which makes me wonder whether plasmas are seen as older technology and perceived to be not as good as LEDs. Combine this with herd mentality and you can see where the market demand is.
Old 31st May 2012, 08:40   #5511
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Even in Panasonic brand shop plasma panels are very few in number. Most trustworthy websites and magazines harp on the inherent better picture quality of plasmas over LEDs. However plasmas has very little visibility in the showroom, both multi brand and single brand. Which makes me wonder whether plasmas are seen as older technology and perceived to be not as good as LEDs. Combine this with herd mentality and you can see where the market demand is.
Herd metality - only to some small extent.
People believe their eyes, really.
And brightness scores over color reproduction - I was dead sure I wanted to buy the Panasonic neoPlasma model but when I went to their brand store, they had this plasma and their lesser know LED TV side by side and that LED was so bright and attractive, we (mom included) could not focus on the Plasma. I asked the sales guy to increase the brightness of the Plasma to highest possible value, but still it did not match. I also read in a couple of expert reviews that human eye is much more sensitive to brightness than color aberrations.

But let's keep this apart and assume that we can adjust the living room lighting such that Plasma will shine with it's real strengths. Even then, the whole mood in shops with respect to Panasonic is so dull that even very enthusiastic and well read customers like you and me will have to fight with the sales guys to get a demo of Panasonic plasma.

The Panasonic brand shop scene is even more lousy. They have a resigned attitude, weird color schemes for their walls, and most of them have their "active" 3D goggles tied to the wall with strings (due to fear of theft and damage) - it was cumbersome to watch the demo. OK, they are really expensive and should be handled with care, but then it really shows how difficult this will be for the customers to manage. You dropt it and you loose Rs. 6000! 3 years warranty does not apply to the glasses - as per one sales gentleman!!! Then, in spite of really urging them, they did not have (or at least did not bring out) any fast paced 3D video clip for the demo. They kept insisting that the "under the sea" clip showing slow moving fish and Avatar clips were the best choice to check colors, etc. I asked them what about high speed motion performance (e.g. 3D car racing, tennis, etc) and they said they don't have it and it's not needed as this is Panasonic plasma - motion performance is the best. I told them, I have read about it, I believe it and I just want to see it myself - they were unmoved. I also asked them to play the LG 3D demo clip depicting the Tennis practice and they refused. Someone also said it's protected to be run only on LG and it's no good for testing the Plasma....

I JUST COULD NOT buy Panasonic even though I wanted to.

The scene with LG was completely different. Sales guys came to life when they heard LG, started telling me stories about how FPR is a practical choice, light and economical glasses, easy on eyes, showed my as many clips as they had, again and again, it felt good. And honestly, I did not find any big issue with the high speed motion performance or colors (again the showroom lighting is bright but then my living room is also going to be well lit most of the time).

Last edited by anandpadhye : 31st May 2012 at 08:48.
Old 31st May 2012, 10:56   #5512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... The Panasonic brand shop scene is even more lousy. They have a resigned attitude, weird color schemes for their walls, and most of them have their "active" 3D goggles tied to the wall with strings (due to fear of theft and damage) ...
Pathetic, perhaps it the general apathetic attitude of the salespeople in Pune. Maybe the indigenous salespeople of Pune understand only the salary-drawing part of the job, not the selling part. That will change over time - more stores means more salespeople with the right attitude, even if they come from Kolhapur or Latur or even smaller places.

Exactly the opposite of what we experience in Bangalore. Well, most places barring the Viveks, Pais and VGPs. Here, when one walks in and asks for a demo, the salespeople go out of their way to show what one wants to see. And no, they don't tie the goggles to the wall with a string LOL.

Usually they have the Sony demo DVD playing on all TVs through an HDMI distributor. But if you ask, they will show various other stuff - including racing stuff and sports (they just borrow the demo DVD from the HT section ). You want to see how an item number looks like on LED? "Sure, I will show you, I have it in USB stick <sheepish grin>". They may not be bright enough to remember or discuss specs, but they have the right 'people' attitude.

Any Panasonic brand shop here has a wall full of Plasmas beside their LEDs and LCDs. So does Reliance and Croma when they have it in stock - their walls have "Plasma", "LED" and "LCD" sections boldly marked out. For Toshiba, Sharp etc. one needs to go to places like Modern. In Rajajinagar, for example, the Panasonic brand shop is within a couple of shops of the Samsung and Sony brand shops. Simple logic for them - perform or perish. Maybe the scene is different in Pune.

But, if you really care for a comparison demo, you would carry your own media, wouldn't you?
Old 31st May 2012, 12:26   #5513
BHPian

Quote:

The Panasonic brand shop scene is even more lousy. They have a resigned attitude, weird color schemes for their walls, and most of them have their "active" 3D goggles tied to the wall with strings (due to fear of theft and damage) - it was cumbersome to watch the demo. OK, they are really expensive and should be handled with care, but then it really shows how difficult this will be for the customers to manage. You dropt it and you loose Rs. 6000! 3 years warranty does not apply to the glasses - as per one sales gentleman!!! Then, in spite of really urging them, they did not have (or at least did not bring out) any fast paced 3D video clip for the demo. They kept insisting that the "under the sea" clip showing slow moving fish and Avatar clips were the best choice to check colors, etc. I asked them what about high speed motion performance (e.g. 3D car racing, tennis, etc) and they said they don't have it and it's not needed as this is Panasonic plasma - motion performance is the best. I told them, I have read about it, I believe it and I just want to see it myself - they were unmoved. I also asked them to play the LG 3D demo clip depicting the Tennis practice and they refused. Someone also said it's protected to be run only on LG and it's no good for testing the Plasma....
I suggest you visit brand shop in Baner. Last I visited, there werent strings tied to 3D glasses and almost all of the plasma range was on display including the 65VT30. If your experience was in the same store then things have changed rather very quickly !
Old 31st May 2012, 12:52   #5514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
I suggest you visit brand shop in Baner. Last I visited, there werent strings tied to 3D glasses and almost all of the plasma range was on display including the 65VT30. If your experience was in the same store then things have changed rather very quickly !
It was BANER.
And you will laugh if I tell you that one of the sales guy had taken home the BlueRay (or DVD) player remote so they were not able to play different clips and they were whispering to each other for 20 minutes before they concluded that they must explain this to me.

And what did they tell you about the warranty on the glasses? 3 years? I was told 6 months...
Old 31st May 2012, 12:59   #5515
BHPian

Quote:
It was BANER.
And you will laugh if I tell you that one of the sales guy had taken home the BlueRay (or DVD) player remote so they were not able to play different clips and they were whispering to each other for 20 minutes before they concluded that they must explain this to me.

And what did they tell you about the warranty on the glasses? 3 years? I was told 6 months...
I was least interested in 3D so I had not asked about their warranty. Even now the one that I got free are lying unused (after a test that they are working).
Old 1st June 2012, 11:42   #5516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
I was least interested in 3D so I had not asked about their warranty. Even now the one that I got free are lying unused (after a test that they are working).
Just curious - if you were not interested on 3D, why did you buy it?
Old 1st June 2012, 12:07   #5517
BHPian

Quote:
Just curious - if you were not interested on 3D, why did you buy it?
For
1. its 2D performance
2. lesser reflecting panel (not available in 2d models)
3. 2D version was out of stock by then for the size I was loking for.
4. 3D version prices were almost same as 2d by that time (as panasonic was clearing the stock of 3D).
Old 1st June 2012, 23:38   #5518
BHPian

I finally decided on 46D7000 over 46D8000.
Difference was 15k.

Do you think I made the right choice? (considering I would've bought ES6200/6800 which would still be 10k more at least)
Old 4th June 2012, 22:15   #5519
Senior - BHPian

Suddenly the start up Sony Logo is disappeared from my new Sony Ex520 40'' tv. I am very much sure I have seen the Logo in the morning Start up and now I am unable to find the Illumination Logo under Systems Menu. It's weird. I have restarted by Factory Settings with all available countries. I don't have Internet connection, so updates of software or Driver not happened.
Any Sony User, please check in your TV and help me out.
Old 5th June 2012, 19:23   #5520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice
Anyone using any surge protection devices (on the set-top box end) for their flat panels?
By the set-top box end, I mean a device which sits between your dish and the box, to protect it (& the panel) from any surges which might be transmitted by the cable connecting the two.

Any pointers from where I can get them would be tremendously helpful.

As of now, I could find only this product that seems to be available in the Indian market. I am not really sure if I am looking at the correct one for my requirement.
REPLACEABLE, RACKMOUNT, 1U, SINGLE LINE, CableTV SURGE PROTECTION MODULE
Guys, any help on this?

Most Viewed