Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 17:13   #5926
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
My new panasonic plasma set had run just for 2 mins. I had also performed that check while buying the TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@AKS

I picked it in Trivandrum and made them ship it to me in chennai. I paid 99 including HT (17k).
m5_fan and VW2010, did you get separate warranty card? Panasonic customer care told us over the phone that is should be inside the pack. We went to inspect a fresh pack (replacement piece, more details later) but there is no warranty card in the box. Dealer told us that invoice itself is warranty but there is no mention of 3 year Panasonic warranty in it.
Old 30th August 2012, 17:40   #5927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite

m5_fan and VW2010, did you get separate warranty card? Panasonic customer care told us over the phone that is should be inside the pack. We went to inspect a fresh pack (replacement piece, more details later) but there is no warranty card in the box. Dealer told us that invoice itself is warranty but there is no mention of 3 year Panasonic warranty in it.
There was no warranty card in my tv's box. I was told the exact same thing.
Old 30th August 2012, 22:55   #5928
BHPian

Got replacement piece today and installed. Thanks to kpzen and Cowardly Lion for sharing contact details of Panasonic managers. All through this response from Panasonic has been very good. The dealer also seem sincere, maybe a bit too desperate to ramp up sales. All is well that ends well.

Warranty card is not available, so that's a bit of gray area. The three year warranty being one selling point, I think Panasonic should look into this for all existing customers.

My general impression of the product:
- I have not had much opportunity to check with HD content, but colour saturation is indeed very good- very natural. In comparison LED is washed out, everyone appears fair, even Mithun Chakrabarty! No wonder LED is so popular.
- SD upscaling is very good, much better than some other brands I have seen. Picture sharpness and pixel interpolation is very good.
- Media player with wide format support out of the box is a big plus for me. Flv support means that my son can now watch his YouTube videos from a comfortable distance, so less worry of spoiling eye sight from sitting very close to PC monitor at such a young age.
Old 31st August 2012, 08:24   #5929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
arranty card is not available, so that's a bit of gray area. The three year warranty being one selling point, I think Panasonic should look into this for all existing customers.
A separate two leaf warranty card which needs to be filled and posted to Panasonic was given by the dealer. It is with the dealer and not with the box. Also this two leaf'er is to ensure you register the product for warranty, while there is also a separate warranty card mentioning 3 years. This is definitely applicable for all Plasma or D series (TV ending with D. Let me post some pictures tomorrow)
Old 31st August 2012, 11:34   #5930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post

Warranty card is not available, so that's a bit of gray area. The three year warranty being one selling point, I think Panasonic should look into this for all existing customers.
Just send in a email to helpline@in.panasonic.com attaching your Scanned Bill copy and mentioning your serial no. of TV which is usually at the back panel.

They will email you the warranty card mentioning 3 year warranty within 24 hours.

Enjoy the Fantastic TV viewing experience.
Old 31st August 2012, 13:56   #5931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
A separate two leaf warranty card which needs to be filled and posted to Panasonic was given by the dealer. It is with the dealer and not with the box.
VW2010, thanks for the input. We complained to the dealer about there being no guarantee card. They told us its not required, that invoice suffices. They never offered us the two leaf card to be filled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOn View Post
Just send in a email to helpline@in.panasonic.com attaching your Scanned Bill copy and mentioning your serial no. of TV which is usually at the back panel.
Thanks GearOn, will do that.
Old 31st August 2012, 14:22   #5932
Senior - BHPian

Guys

I am in the market for 40-42" LED and I need some feedback on the so called smart TVs.

I begin with Samsung UA40ES5600R and panasonic viera TH-L42E5K to start with. open for other worthy brands like sony, LG, Toshiba??please share model num
Here are some doubts

What is wifi direct/wifi ready? Will i need a wifi dongle or TV has built in wifi like laptops(or atleast the dongles come free) - I want to watch youtube and transfer videos from laptop to the TV over wireless. But picture quality comes firstAnybody having experience shopping in countries like Malaysia, Singapore? I have a friend relocating from there and i hear electronics are cheap in Malaysia(35K for the above mentioned samsung as against 65K here)

Is it worth going for 3D TVs ?
or i should just wait for the 3D market to mature
Old 31st August 2012, 14:37   #5933
BHPian

I already own a Panasonic P42U30D (42" Full HD, No 3D Plasma) which I bought for 42,000. I was looking for a second P42U30D but it is not available.

I have been offered a P42ST30D with 2 X 3D Glasses for 60,000
How does this sound ?

Styler
Old 31st August 2012, 17:07   #5934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
... What is wifi direct/wifi ready? Will i need a wifi dongle or TV has built in wifi like laptops(or atleast the dongles come free)...
WiFi Ready = you need to purchase USB WiFi dongle (doesn't come free).
WiFi Direct = Built-in

Quote:
... Is it worth going for 3D TVs ? or i should just wait for the 3D market to mature
If you are into Bluray, it is already mature. 3D on DTH is unlikely - technology is not mature yet. Considering the amount one loses when one replaces a TV set, it is better to have most features now than later.
Old 1st September 2012, 08:22   #5935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
WiFi Ready = you need to purchase USB WiFi dongle (doesn't come free).
WiFi Direct = Built-in
Thanks. The models i mentioned above say built in wi fi but also talk about external device to connect. I am confused
Old 1st September 2012, 18:38   #5936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... The models i mentioned above say built in wi fi but also talk about external device to connect. I am confused
Yes, it is a bit confusing when one looks at the web pages of Samsung and Panasonic.

* The Samsung specs say "WiFi Built-in", but the Overview page says "WiFi dongle in box"

* The Panasonic India page says "WiFi Ready (The Wireless LAN Adaptor is sold separately)" under Features, but under Specifications it says "Wireless LAN Adapter Y (built-in)"

* The Panasonic Asia page says "Wireless LAN Adapter WiFi Ready". This is the correct page for TH-L42E5K, but this is not the India model - which is TH-L42E5D (see above)
Old 2nd September 2012, 20:19   #5937
Senior - BHPian

Any feedback on Samsung EH series?

I saw specifically EH5000 40 inch which costs around 36k on ebay.
Old 4th September 2012, 00:34   #5938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But picture quality comes first
If picture quality comes first, you should be going plasma ( the Panasonic Plasmas with infinte blacks ). Power consumption is its disadvantage. It will consume around 3 times the power a similar sized LED TV will consume.
Quote:
Is it worth going for 3D TVs ? or i should just wait for the 3D market to mature
I still do not find watching 3d movies comfortable for the eyes and brain. Do a reality check before buying 3-d TVs. If you are one of those persons who is absolutely comfortable watching 3d, then it's worth considering 3-d as an option. Else, it will just be a waste of money because you will rarely be using it except in the first few days ( out of curiosity )
Old 4th September 2012, 02:06   #5939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
If picture quality comes first, you should be going plasma ( the Panasonic Plasmas with infinte blacks ).
I found the plasmas to be a short of brightness compared to the LCDs or the LED lit LCDs. Of course, the plasma offers great clarity while playing normal TV, but the LCDs offer better colour and brightness and clarity while playing HD content, just my views.
Old 4th September 2012, 03:06   #5940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I found the plasmas to be a short of brightness compared to the LCDs or the LED lit LCDs.
This is the exact reason why Plasmas looks great on a home environment while they look dull on a brightly lit showroom. In the evening and night time, Plasma offers amazing performance. In day time, use good curtains to reduce the lighting of the room and you will get unmatched viewing experience compared to an LED or LCD which puts strain on the eyes due to its brightly lit backlight.

Plasmas are suited for the home environment because the lighting is normally not too bright while on a brightly lit public place or on an actual TV showroom, the LCDs/LEDs will look better.

Once the ambient lighting is correct, even the cheapest plasma screens scores better over the most expensive LCDs and LEDs for the following reasons.
PS: The 2012 Panasonic Plasmas are supposed to be brighter than the 2011 models.

1) Natural lighting from each pixel instead of backlighting = less strain on the eyes and true natural colour.
2) Faster dimming capabilities = vast improvement while watching fast moving scenes as in the case of sports ( for an easy comparison, check the movement of a ball while taking a kick or from a tennis racket. The LCDs/LEDs will leave a small trail while the cheapest of Plasma screens will produce a much superior picture. If you go for the 2500 Hz Focussed subfield Panasonic Plasma, the ball will be crisp even on the impact time. This gives a relaxed viewing experience when watching sports channels or fast moving scenes in a movie. This is the same reason why Sony shows slow moving videos to showcase the crispness of their Bravia range of displays. With fast moving video, Plasma wins the contest hands down. )
3) Better contrast and better black levels ( But this is more prevelant in the costlier plasmas with the infinte black panel. A typical 42" Panasonic Plasma with infinite black and 3d will cost you approx 60,000 and above )

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Of course, the plasma offers great clarity while playing normal TV, but the LCDs offer better colour and brightness and clarity while playing HD content, just my views.
And the performance of plasma is good for both HD as well as non-HD content. The only difference is that on Plasma, people prefer to watch the colours in their natural form rather than the artificial boosting up. For the same reason, the THX mode on the Panasonic Plasmas takes the colour levels even further down giving you a picture which is closely matched to what the film maker wanted you to see in the first place.

Last edited by amalji : 4th September 2012 at 03:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks