Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 17:01   #6211
BHPian

Bought a Toshiba PA200, 24" LCD for the bedroom for 11,500/-. I feel it's total value for money at this price. Full HD, HDMI in, easy to use remote, amazing sound output considering the speakers are just 5w each. Perfect for parents bedroom.

Anyone else using this model? I had checked out models from LG, Samsung and Sony. Most of them were priced higher and were 22".

PS: this model on flip kart is retailing for 11,190/- including everything.
http://www.flipkart.com/m/toshiba-24...mdddmvhwvvxhte

MaSh

Last edited by mashmash : 1st December 2012 at 17:03.
Old 4th December 2012, 22:01   #6212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick question . Is a stabilizer necessary for plasma tv ? I bought a Panasonic plasma. The installation guy asked me to purchase a Panasonic certified stabilizer from them for 2500 bucks which according to him is specifically made for plasma tv . He said plasma tv are very sensitive and stabilizer is required for any warranty repairs . Otherwise warranty is void. I am bit worried now. Suggestions please.
Old 4th December 2012, 23:34   #6213
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

If the voltage fluctuates too much in your area then a voltage stabilizer is generally a good idea BUT & it's a big but the warranty getting void 'cause of not installing one is pure coercion. Get in touch with Panasonic customer service via toll free number or email and find out their take on the subject. If no such advisory is in place for your local area then lodge a formal complaint against the local installer franchise and the installer specifically...kick them where it hurts the most otherwise they will keep on fooling people left right & centre.

In case it helps I myself have a 50"VT panel and use no stabilizer. I am associated with a dedicated Audio Video forum and we have a large Plasma panel users community spread all across the country and I am yet to come across any one who is using a panel based on such a 'suggestion' by a company installer never mind whether it is Panasonic / Samsung and have never heard of any such forceful suggestion being made by a company or their installer.
Old 5th December 2012, 08:31   #6214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
uick question . Is a stabilizer necessary for plasma tv ? I bought a Panasonic plasma. The installation guy asked me to purchase a Panasonic certified stabilizer from them for 2500 bucks which according to him is specifically made for plasma tv . He said plasma tv are very sensitive and stabilizer is required for any warranty repairs . Otherwise warranty is void. I am bit worried now. Suggestions please
He is just trying to get a sale of 2500 balanced for some discounts he made to you. The stabilizer may have been procured as a free ad on for something and he is trying to make some money out of it.

But getting a stabilizer is not a bad thing for a TV.
Old 5th December 2012, 11:45   #6215
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Second the last two posts. Also, while purchasing stablizer do make sure it got spike protection also. I know for sure VGuard stablizer for LCD/LED tv's have that, so guess all brands may have the same. But do check the specs before buying.
Old 5th December 2012, 13:32   #6216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
If the voltage fluctuates too much in your area then a voltage stabilizer is generally a good idea BUT & it's a big but the warranty getting void 'cause of not installing one is pure coercion. Get in touch with Panasonic customer service via toll free number or email and find out their take on the subject. If no such advisory is in place for your local area then lodge a formal complaint against the local installer franchise and the installer specifically...kick them where it hurts the most otherwise they will keep on fooling people left right & centre.

In case it helps I myself have a 50"VT panel and use no stabilizer. I am associated with a dedicated Audio Video forum and we have a large Plasma panel users community spread all across the country and I am yet to come across any one who is using a panel based on such a 'suggestion' by a company installer never mind whether it is Panasonic / Samsung and have never heard of any such forceful suggestion being made by a company or their installer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
He is just trying to get a sale of 2500 balanced for some discounts he made to you. The stabilizer may have been procured as a free ad on for something and he is trying to make some money out of it.

But getting a stabilizer is not a bad thing for a TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
^^ Second the last two posts. Also, while purchasing stablizer do make sure it got spike protection also. I know for sure VGuard stablizer for LCD/LED tv's have that, so guess all brands may have the same. But do check the specs before buying.
No there is not much fluction in my area. Morover i have a APC UPS which cuts off the main and switches to UPS power if the voltage goes above 250V.
We have never had any problems with Home appliances going bad due to high voltage till now .Except AC we dont have stabiliser for anything in the home!

I went through the manual and there is no mention of stabiliser in it. I will turn down the sales persons suggestion.

What made me concerned was he said the stabiliser is designed for panasonic plasmas.So i thought its recommended by the company!
Old 5th December 2012, 13:46   #6217
BHPian

On a similar note

Anyone using a UPS to power their LCD TV's ?
I live in an apartment complex and the dg set generally kicks in a minute or two. I just want the ups to keep the tv on and prevent it from abrupt shutdown and restart.

A lot of people recommend pure sine-wave ups which is a costly affair. I was looking for something under 5k.

I want to know if the stepped up square wave is ok for the tv or it can damage it in that minute, in long term use?
Old 5th December 2012, 14:43   #6218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Quick question . Is a stabilizer necessary for plasma tv ? I bought a Panasonic plasma.
Good question raised by you.

I am of the opinion "better to be safe than be sorry".
I would not mind spending extra to safeguard an expensive gadget.

I am currently using iBall Nirantar UPS which has inbuilt voltage stabilizer - nothing fancy but standard fare.
I was using that for my desktop computer but since I have a new UPS there, I can use my old iBall UPS for this purpose, though the battery backup is very less.

BTW: A new UPS from iBall should cost about Rs. 1500 or so.

Now, coming to the topic of the thread, I have visited a few shops in Pune looking for a new TV (LED or Plasma).
Though I would prefer 40" TV considering the size of the room, sad to notice that minimum size of Plasma is 42".
Secondly eZone, Reliance Digital, Vijay Sales and Chroma around my area have either one or zero plasma's for display.
But based on what I have seen, the HD of plasma shows lot of pixelation even at 8 ft distance. (My viewing distance is around 9 feet for the hall.)

In comparison LCD and LED's are lot sharper (both HD and Full HD) and brighter as well.

The viewing angles in Plasma may be better, but this benefit is of no use to me.
What plasma does offer to me is good value for money (low cost, big TV).
Of course, the electricity bills will be bigger, but hopefully we won't watch TV more than 2-3 hours a day.

Does anyone experience eye strain/ headache with plasma? I experienced that within 10 minutes of watching a few videos at 8 feet distance (42" plasma). Just curious.

Will check the Panasonic brand showroom where I expect to see at least 2-3 plasmas on display.

But it is very true that there is hardly any interest in plasmas these days.
Old 5th December 2012, 14:44   #6219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What made me concerned was he said the stabiliser is designed for panasonic plasmas.So i thought its recommended by the company!
Unless it has AI and understands that the TV being used in Panasonic, and if that intelligence is built into TV and Stabilizer i am sure the stabilizer is more than 2500 rs

I have a spike buster and a stabilizer and i rarely get any fluctuations. It was just a habit to get a stabilizer for a TV, Fridge and AC

Quote:
Does anyone experience eye strain/ headache with plasma? I experienced that within 10 minutes of watching a few videos at 8 feet distance (42" plasma). Just curious.
I watch my Plasma from less than 5 feet and i have a 50 incher. I play FIfa for close to 3 hours and have never felt any strain.

One thing with plasma is the heat that it generates. Its definitely more than LED and its better to have the fans switched on. I run the screen burn protector everyday post my gaming session for an hour and leave the TV with the fan switched on for sure.

Burnout will definitely be there and there needs to be conscious way to protect your TV. Specially if you are playing games.

Quote:
In comparison LCD and LED's are lot sharper (both HD and Full HD) and brighter as well.
In showrooms the LCD and LED will kick the dash out of plasma. At home i love plasma for its not BRIGHT . I like the TV room to project light that is minimal and dark. And at night the strain is minimal for me in a plasma and CRT tv. I have always been a plasma guy and have two at home right now.

Samsung has increased brighness while Panasonic plasma are pretty close to what a CRT would do.

Last edited by VW2010 : 5th December 2012 at 15:03.
Old 5th December 2012, 15:03   #6220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unless it has AI and understands that the TV being used in Panasonic, and if that intelligence is built into TV and Stabilizer i am sure the stabilizer is more than 2500 rs

I have a spike buster and a stabilizer and i rarely get any fluctuations. It was just a habit to get a stabilizer for a TV, Fridge and AC
ROFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Good question raised by you.

I am of the opinion "better to be safe than be sorry".
I would not mind spending extra to safeguard an expensive gadget.

I am currently using iBall Nirantar UPS which has inbuilt voltage stabilizer - nothing fancy but standard fare.
I was using that for my desktop computer but since I have a new UPS there, I can use my old iBall UPS for this purpose, though the battery backup is very less.

Now, coming to the topic of the thread, I have visited a few shops in Pune looking for a new TV (LED or Plasma).
Though I would prefer 40" TV considering the size of the room, sad to notice that minimum size of Plasma is 42".
Secondly eZone, Reliance Digital, Vijay Sales and Chroma around my area have either one or zero plasma's for display.
But based on what I have seen, the HD of plasma shows lot of pixelation even at 8 ft distance. (My viewing distance is around 9 feet for the hall.)

The viewing angles in Plasma may be better, but this benefit is of no use to me.
What plasma does offer to me is good value for money (low cost, big TV).
Of course, the electricity bills will be bigger, but hopefully we won't watch TV more than 2-3 hours a day.

Will check the Panasonic brand showroom where I expect to see at least 2-3 plasmas on display.

But it is very true that there is hardly any interest in plasmas these days.

The advantage of Plasma is the accurate color reproduction compared to LCD/LED. It will be as close as possible to CRT TV colors which reproduces true colors. LCD/LED , the color rendering is not as accurate. And nothing can beat the blacks in a plasma.

Also one more thing is when you watch in shop all the color,brightness settings will be pumped up to max . In home, you use only half of the brightness/contrast so headache wont be an issue. Infact LED is much much brighter to a plasma in similar size and spec.

Negatives of plasma being the high power consumption which is double the similar sized LED. But hey you dont watch TV for hours together regularly then it should not be a problem.

If you are looking for ultra bright pictures with sharp edges and washed off images then look for LED. If your primary need is natural smooth colors with accurate rendering(similar to CRT) then look for plasma.And motion reproduction is best in plasma .

And if you wathcing any normal channel through DTH(tatasky,airtel etc) then invest in a very good pair of RCA cables . I used those cheap 60 bucks one for 2 days before i threw them off and bought high quality RCA for 300 bucks. The difference is day and night.

Pick the TV based on your requirements
Old 5th December 2012, 15:59   #6221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I watch my Plasma from less than 5 feet and i have a 50 incher. I play FIfa for close to 3 hours and have never felt any strain.
Comforting to note that.

Quote:
I run the screen burn protector everyday post my gaming session for an hour and leave the TV with the fan switched on for sure.
Is that activity required after watching a movie for 3 hours? Just curious.
Or is that something needed only in summers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
In home, you use only half of the brightness/contrast so headache wont be an issue.
The headache instance was at a friend's place in his house. That was the first time I was watching a 42" for more than 5 minutes.
Old 5th December 2012, 16:17   #6222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N

I also use a 600va microtek ups for my 32" lcd.
Using it for a year now and no problems, but after reading about it on the internet i am confused.

People say that using this kind of a ups is not ok for the lcd tv as it is not a pure sinewave ups and the output it provides is dirty.

I have to buy another ups for my 40" LCD and LED so i am unable to decide if i should buy a pure sinewave one? It would cost 10k and i dont think its worth it . I don't have any voltage fluctuations at all, its just the 1-2 minute power outage.
Old 5th December 2012, 16:24   #6223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I run the screen burn protector everyday post my gaming session for an hour and leave the TV with the fan switched on for sure.

Burnout will definitely be there and there needs to be conscious way to protect your TV. Specially if you are playing games.
What is this protector?Can you elaborate?

AFAIK burn out will happen only if something stays on the screen for a long time right? While playing games there will be a lot of movements.So how can burn out happen?
Old 5th December 2012, 17:59   #6224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is this protector?Can you elaborate?
Its just a Black and White scrolling bar that is supposed to eliminate any burn out of image on the screen.

Games have lot of static content like the score board or the commentary or even some static images. Highly visible when you finish your game and switch of the Tv.

The screen burn out is not an issue but just part of owning a plasma. Takes a little precaution to just ensure that you dont see a burn out. Most often we over do this process

My Samsung Plasma has never seen this burn out protector option in the last 4 years and looks good and hence i say we over do.

Between these two i would pick the Panasonic. The contrast is definitely better and i hate bright screens and hence i like plasma. If i like brightness i would definitely pick a LED. I like the godfatherish lights showing more darkness and here and there bright spots. This makes viewing a pleasure
Old 5th December 2012, 19:01   #6225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010

Its just a Black and White scrolling bar that is supposed to eliminate any burn out of image on the screen.

Games have lot of static content like the score board or the commentary or even some static images. Highly visible when you finish your game and switch of the Tv.

The screen burn out is not an issue but just part of owning a plasma. Takes a little precaution to just ensure that you dont see a burn out. Most often we over do this process

My Samsung Plasma has never seen this burn out protector option in the last 4 years and looks good and hence i say we over do.

Between these two i would pick the Panasonic. The contrast is definitely better and i hate bright screens and hence i like plasma. If i like brightness i would definitely pick a LED. I like the godfatherish lights showing more darkness and here and there bright spots. This makes viewing a pleasure
Where do I get it? Also this is required only if you play games right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks