Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 22:36   #6766
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: LG - Dead LED Panel - Ever Happened to you? What next

Did they say its the panel that needs replacing?

Is it completely dead ,can you hear the sound?

If you can hear the sound ,try glowing a flashlight and see if you can notice any picture.If you can see the picture ,then the backlight or the LED emitter needs to replaced or possibly the power supply mosfet for the LED emitters needs to be replaced.

Unfortunately it can happen to any make and model.Based on the complaints online Sony has lesser complaints then others but not by big margin.

Last edited by aim120 : 26th June 2013 at 22:37.
Old 26th June 2013, 22:39   #6767
Senior - BHPian

I would be clued into this thread - AFAIK, this kinda problem happens to all of them. My friend had a 2.5 year old samsung - gone on the blink with weird white lines that would be seen at different points in the display at different times. Cost? 20k for motherboard, zero guarantee of any repairs. he had to buy a new one!

Last edited by phamilyman : 26th June 2013 at 22:42.
Old 26th June 2013, 22:41   #6768
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I have an lg, 42lv5500,and a couple of days back, there was no picture, just sound. One local techie has taken the power supply board, saying that may be the problem.
All this in less than one year.
Power Supply Board will be aprx 6500/- in needed to be replaced. Service centre charges extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Did they say its the panel that needs replacing?

Is it completely dead ,can you hear the sound?

If you can hear the sound ,try glowing a flashlight and see if you can notice any picture.If you can see the picture ,then the backlight or the LED emitter needs to replaced or possibly the power supply mosfet for the LED emitters needs to be replaced.

Unfortunately it can happen to any make and model.Based on the complaints online Sony has lesser complaints then others but not by big margin.
No Sound , No picture. As per service centre, panel is culprit for sure. Also, panel is assembly of couple of cards plus screen, so they dont bother to check posibility repair of a component etc. We need to replace "Complete" part.

Last edited by idea : 26th June 2013 at 22:45.
Old 26th June 2013, 22:45   #6769
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If there is no sound then it has to be the power supply board or the main image processing board thats gone.

Since if the panels goes wrong it has nothing to do with no sound.

Last edited by aim120 : 26th June 2013 at 22:46.
Old 26th June 2013, 23:18   #6770
BHPian

My brother had this same issue with 32Inch Sony Bravia.
Cost of panel was around 18K. Sony was ready to give 50% discount and qouted 11K including everything. TV was 1 and half years old.

He bought a new TV as well.
Old 27th June 2013, 00:10   #6771
Senior - BHPian

LG quality has gone to the dogs.

Recently our 3.5 yr old Premium 500 ltr+ LG Fridge broke down - The door hinge mechanism broke and the door almost fell on my foot when I tried to open it.

LG denied all responsibility. Said buy a new door.

I had the old one repaired, and observed that the plastic of the fridge has become brittle and decayed. Horrible design. Horrible raw material quality.
Old 27th June 2013, 00:48   #6772
BHPian

Welcome to Pune, I too have a house there and have had my desktop go down due to brownouts and surges. All I can say is that please please use a UPS (offline) with sensitive electronic equipment in Pune. In 2011, there were 22 panels which went bust due to a brownout (very low fluctuating voltage & Cycles) in our society alone, there must have been a similar number across 7 societies which are fed by the MSEB line coming into our area.
Old 27th June 2013, 01:09   #6773
Senior - BHPian

Repair or Replacement may be the only option, since clearly manufacturers will not cover anything out of warranty. As far as electronics go, nothing can be predicted.
As a lesson for the future, always buy extended warranty for peace of mind. Most large electronics shop chains (Reliance, croma etc) offer it.
Old 27th June 2013, 01:14   #6774
Senior - BHPian

My 3 year old Samsung lcd had the same fate last month with weird flickering lines and what not, called samsung guys and he said panel is gone, repair cost to be 17k with not a single day of warranty.

Bought a new Sony led tv, gave the dead samsung to dealer for a buyback of 3k. These new breeds of led/lcd are not reliable, our 9 year old Akai crt still works flawlessly.
Old 27th June 2013, 03:09   #6775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
These new breeds of led/lcd are not reliable, our 9 year old Akai crt still works flawlessly.
In my college hostels, the CRTs used to run 20x7x365 hours. And it lasted for about 2 years at least. This without any stabilizer.

Maybe the current gen TVs are unforgiving to variability in operating conditions.
Old 27th June 2013, 09:50   #6776
BHPian

Happened to my sisters 40 led Sony bought for 92k with one year warranty. Failed in a year and a half. Motherboard problem, cost of repair was 10k. This is main reason I buy TVs only in the grey market. Save the money to pay for repairs later. Any product will last a year at least, don't see a reason to pay for a years warranty.
Old 27th June 2013, 10:48   #6777
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Repair or Replacement may be the only option, since clearly manufacturers will not cover anything out of warranty. As far as electronics go, nothing can be predicted.
As a lesson for the future, always buy extended warranty for peace of mind. Most large electronics shop chains (Reliance, croma etc) offer it.
Extended warranty !! It is a discussion topic altogether. LG charges 7000/- Per year for 42 inch. So in 3 years cost is already 21000/-. And i think you can enroll till 4/5 years only. So overall financial calculation doesn't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Welcome to Pune, I too have a house there and have had my desktop go down due to brownouts and surges. All I can say is that please please use a UPS (offline) with sensitive electronic equipment in Pune. In 2011, there were 22 panels which went bust due to a brownout (very low fluctuating voltage & Cycles) in our society alone, there must have been a similar number across 7 societies which are fed by the MSEB line coming into our area.
As mentioned, I have dedicated digital voltage regulator specially designed for LED by V guard so it is not foul play of voltage.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:03   #6778
BHPian

My LG lcd had also died some time back. It is a 4ish year old model (when the initial 32 inch full hd panels had just started).
LG changed the power supply and motherboard for approx 7.8k and it was back to usual.
Post this, invested in a good quality UPS which supports undervoltage and overvoltage protection.

The UPS showed us that the power supply every single night would go to almost 270 volts in our house. Called MSEB, showed them the pics of the same, they put their own equipment for a day to check the readings, and next day they stepped down the voltage for the entire area to the proper 240 levels.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:18   #6779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
A Panel (it is screen where we see picture) is a core component of a LED, how can it die with in 3 years with usage of 2/3 hours a day especially when it is manufactured by LG wherein any customer would expect better quality, hassle free ownership? I am sure, panel didn’t die due to its natural life hours. Avg life may be 5000 hours.
This is quite common. I managed video walls in previous life. Each wall had 9 panels. Averge life of a panel was around 4 years ballpark. This is across:

1. Locations
2. Brands
3. Tech (Starting with Plasma to newest ones being LCD with LED backlight)

For personal use, I have a 50 inch LG plasma TV. It stopped working in 3.5 years (TV cracked on its own). Since I had extended 5 Years warranty, it was replaced FOC. Issue was with most probably with C-Panel, it cracked the panel due to overheating.

If anyone is buying expensive TV (say 60k+), I strongly recommened extended warranty.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:19   #6780
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

https://securityledger.com/2012/12/s...remote-spying/

Smile when you wave to change the channel :P

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks