Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 08:29   #6961
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
RBI hasn't banned 0% interest schemes. It has banned 0% interest schemes which were charging interest in the form of processing fees. If someone really wants to give a real 0% interest scheme, it is still possible. RBI only wants to make sure that users can compare two schemes properly instead of falling for such deceptive schemes.
Slightly Off topic but Where did you read this ?
All articles just say the RBI has banned 0% interest schemes due to such fraudulent practices.
Nowhere did I find a mentioned that RBI has banned "processing fees" for Zero % interest. Mostly because there is no such thing as 0% interest, someone has to bear the financing cost. If the vendor is bearing the financing cost, then this benefit should also be given in the form of discounts to cash customers. So in the end an EMI payer and a Cash payer are not charged the same Net amount.
Old 3rd October 2013, 17:54   #6962
BHPian

Samsung Plasma Horizontal black line problem

Hi all, I have developed a problem with my 43" samsung plasma D490. All of a sudden a thin black line has appeared at the bottom of the screen. It pans the full width of the screen. I googled and there seems to be a lot of plasma's having this generic problem. So i wanted your opinion on what should be done. It is not a problem I can't live with as it is at the bottom of the screen. But if and when it increases I will be left high and dry. Do suggest what should be done. BTW the plasma is out of warranty
Old 6th October 2013, 23:21   #6963
BHPian

I am planning for a big screen TV wherein i have an idea to look at Plasma 50"/51" in either Samsung/LG/Panasonic. I was told that the LCD manufacture is stopped and no more available. I don't know whether investment in a Plasma at this point of time would be a good idea. Also don't know whether investing huge sum on LED will make any sense.

Please people pour in your ideas.
Old 6th October 2013, 23:25   #6964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I am planning for a big screen TV wherein i have an idea to look at Plasma 50"/51" in either Samsung/LG/Panasonic. I was told that the LCD manufacture is stopped and no more available. I don't know whether investment in a Plasma at this point of time would be a good idea. Also don't know whether investing huge sum on LED will make any sense.

Please people pour in your ideas.
Having bought a 46inch sony led for a lakh,

if possible i will rollback and get a plasma for better viewing pleasure

Go plasma i say, while you have the opportunity
Old 7th October 2013, 09:45   #6965
BHPian

@rki2007: I suggest you to go for plasma series for better quality picture quality and natural colours as it gives you exceptional viewing pleasure.
Secondly for plasma go for either Panasonic or Toshiba(I ruled out Toshiba as the network in India is poor).
Thirdly go for any 2012 series from UT50 to VT50 to GT50 which are really good models and value for money being one year older model which does not makes much difference for a normal viewer.
I recently purchased 42UT plasma of Panasonic and I am 200 percent satisfied with the quality for the money I paid i.e. 52k(steal deal!)
Old 7th October 2013, 12:26   #6966
Senior - BHPian

Do note that without LCD you cannot have LED.

LCD = Liquid Crystal Display = screen only

LED = Light emitting Diode = A way to light up the above LCD screen

Only when you combine the two you get what is known as LED tv.

Good bye LCD = Goodbye LED tv.

Avoid all of the above confusion and get a Plasma panel, simply the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I was told that the LCD manufacture is stopped and no more available.
Old 7th October 2013, 13:58   #6967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Do note that without LCD you cannot have LED.

LCD = Liquid Crystal Display = screen only

LED = Light emitting Diode = A way to light up the above LCD screen

Only when you combine the two you get what is known as LED tv.

Good bye LCD = Goodbye LED tv.

Avoid all of the above confusion and get a Plasma panel, simply the best.
I echo every word spoken about the Plasma Televisions, I myself was inclined to buy a LED TV and then I read more about the Plasmas and their technology. Finally I bought a 50" Panasonic and ever since I have been enjoying every moment with it. The quality is superb unlike the LCD/LED where the picture is sometimes like a 'watercolor' effect to me. Moreover the
Panny TV came in with a 3 year warranty unlike 1 year from Sony/Samsung/LG.
Old 7th October 2013, 16:45   #6968
BHPian

there are few things to watch out for, when buying low end plasma.

1. glass like panel. you cant afford to have a bright room. in most of the dark scene, you will end up seeing your own face on the TV.

2. all most all 40 inch 2013 models have a 1024x768 resolution. this is not 720p. text doesn't appear smooth. Pretty good for DTH SD/HD channels. #1 applies here too.

3. just month back brought a 50s60d panasonic. it has colour gradient issues. some intense scene(typical dark hollywood movie scene etc) shows up with banding. this is due to limited gray scale support. i didn't notice this problem all the time. but it shows up now and then.

Samsung 5 series plasma might not have #3 issue. But it comes with 1 year warranty. may be for diwalli they will give free 3 year/w.

Please carry a reference video in a usb stick. do a proper demo.
Old 7th October 2013, 19:54   #6969
Senior - BHPian

I am in the market looking for a suitable Plasma TV & require suggestions from fellow BHPians on the following parameters.

Brand: LG, Samsung, Panasonic (or any other reputable brand)
Budget: upto Rs. 40K
Panel Size: would prefer 40 inches but came to know the said size doesn't exists on Plasmas. ( totally confused)

Would be glad to know what all options do I really have regarding the same.

Last edited by samsag12 : 7th October 2013 at 19:55.
Old 7th October 2013, 21:43   #6970
Senior - BHPian

LG plasma and Panasonic plasma are quite similar because the LCD panels for both are sourced from same factory. 42" IPS is made by conglomerate of LG/Philips/Panasonic.

Now only difference between the LG and Pana plasmas are the algorithms used in the drivers and it seems LG has in copied the Pana algorithms for all colors except black. So that Pana has deeper blacks proprietary. There has been studies into this.
Old 7th October 2013, 22:17   #6971
Senior - BHPian

Referring to the text not appearing smooth and the banding issue, have you had Panasonic service take a look at these. I myself have a 50VT20D and my brother has a 50ST30D and a couple of 42UT30Ds, now thus far I have not seen edgy text or noticeable banding in any of these panels. I believe the ST30 and the S50 have the same panel might be an issue worth checking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
there are few things to watch out for, when buying low end plasma.

1. glass like panel. you cant afford to have a bright room. in most of the dark scene, you will end up seeing your own face on the TV.

2. all most all 40 inch 2013 models have a 1024x768 resolution. this is not 720p. text doesn't appear smooth. Pretty good for DTH SD/HD channels. #1 applies here too.

3. just month back brought a 50s60d panasonic. it has colour gradient issues. some intense scene(typical dark hollywood movie scene etc) shows up with banding. this is due to limited gray scale support. i didn't notice this problem all the time. but it shows up now and then.

Samsung 5 series plasma might not have #3 issue. But it comes with 1 year warranty. may be for diwalli they will give free 3 year/w.

Please carry a reference video in a usb stick. do a proper demo.
Old 7th October 2013, 22:21   #6972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
2. all most all 40 inch 2013 models have a 1024x768 resolution. this is not 720p.
Being nitpicking here. 720p means 720 horizontal lines, progressive scan. So 1024x768 has more than 720 horizontal lines, so it satisfies minimum requirement for displaying 720p content. I am assuming that all flat panels these days are progressive scan, not interlace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
LG plasma and Panasonic plasma are quite similar because the LCD panels for both are sourced from same factory. 42" IPS is made by conglomerate of LG/Philips/Panasonic.
That's news to me. Plasma TVs having LCD panel? It would not be a plasma then, no? Moreover, this is the first time I am hearing Pana and LG kept on the same footing. More detail would be welcome.
Old 7th October 2013, 22:26   #6973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Being nitpicking here. 720p means 720 horizontal lines, progressive scan. So 1024x768 has more than 720 horizontal lines, so it satisfies minimum requirement for displaying 720p content.
Yes, but 720p essentially means 1280*720. And there are 720 'vertical' pixels in 720p, not horizontal. So, 1024*768 does not satisfy 720p, atleast not horizontally.
Old 7th October 2013, 22:30   #6974
BHPian

I would go against the tide here and suggest for a led smart tv or a high end plasma. Do not fall for the uber cheap 42/43 " plasmas. My 2 year plasma has developed black horizontal line. Try google the issue and you will see what i am talking about. Hordes of people having issues with their plasma tv's. Plasma imo is a ageing technology and one should go for the latest , once it comes to gadgets.
Old 7th October 2013, 22:48   #6975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
Yes, but 720p essentially means 1280*720. And there are 720 'vertical' pixels in 720p, not horizontal. So, 1024*768 does not satisfy 720p, atleast not horizontally.
While looking at 1024x768 I wasn't paying attention to the vertical lines. Having confirmed that 720p in wide screen format is 1280x720, beats me why manufacturers make non standard aspect and resolution. No wonder lots of people get confused, including yours truly. Days of CRT TV was so simple: you either buy a 14" or a 21", no confusing jargon!

Now I am open to being surprised by LCD panel in plasma TV.

Most Viewed