Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2013, 14:57   #6991
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

If I could find a 42GT50D at a sensible price, I would definitely buy it. Even if the plasmas are discontinued the company will support the products out in the market for certain number of years, this could be 5 maybe even 10 years. If one is comfortable with that kind of scenario I do not see an issue in investing in a Panny plasma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Can some one reply for the above query .
Old 14th October 2013, 10:36   #6992
BHPian

Re: Defective Sony 46inch TV replaced

I had posted this on the 30th of August; I had patches of white on dark screens while watching tv or playing ps3. The TV was 2.5 months old at the time. It was a Sony 46EX430.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3222772

A complaint was placed with the Sony Call centre on the 27th of August. A guy came over 2-3 days later and checked and admitted there's a problem with the panel/backlight. He did some paperwork, took some pictures of the set, promised a response within 7-10 days and took off. At that point he said he can't promise replacement, perhaps repair only.

From end August till first week October, I called up Sony once a week or once every ten days. The Gurgaon service centre chaps said, they are waiting for a response from Sony. The call centre chaps said the complaint is open and I should expect a call from Sony's Delhi Head Office. A call which never came. The call centre was hopeless, a bunch of guys trained to say 'I can understand your problem sir' and nothing more.

It was the Gurgaon Service Centre which got back to me just ten days back and said they will replace the tv and the model is no longer available so they will send the equivalent model: 46R452A, which I okay'ed.

Finally, I got the new replaced tv 2 days back. I'm glad they got around to replacing it with a brand new set. But, the service was terrible, noone could tell me the status of the complaint, what's going to happen, timeframe etc. How a ten days response time stretched to a month and a half beats me. This was not expected from Sony!

I used my earlier tv and played and finished GTA5 and used it normally till the day they took it back, the backlighting patches just got worse by the end of it.

Also, I have had the tv plugged into a ups since day 1 and thought nothing could possibly go wrong with it. And hence, didn't think I would go in for the optional 2nd and 3rd year extended warranty which is 7.5K and can be purchased anytime during the first year.
The service guys who came day before highly advised I go in for it. As if anything goes wrong with the panel after warranty its definitely going to cost way more than the 7.5K i'd have spent on the extended warranty. What do you guys think? I am most probably going to go in for the extended warranty.

Last edited by promit : 14th October 2013 at 10:41.
Old 14th October 2013, 16:26   #6993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
What do you guys think? I am most probably going to go in for the extended warranty.
With those turnaround times, I think you should not go in for it. Guage this unit's performance over the 7 or so months you have of your warranty and then take a call. IMO all TV sets upwards of 40" should have a 3 year manufacturer warranty at the very least.

Check the documentation to see if Sony will do the same 'act of kindness' under extended warranty and replace your faulty 46R452A with a new (model) one if parts are not available/it becomes outdated.
Old 14th October 2013, 18:27   #6994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
What do you guys think? I am most probably going to go in for the extended warranty.
Well from personal stand point, I have a HX925 and I went for the extended warranty just before the the initial 1 year warranty eclipsed.

I certainly think its worth going for it considering the fact that I have purchase an expensive premium model in the world where the panel failure rates are high.
Old 15th October 2013, 08:43   #6995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
Yes, infact I came across several 2.35:1 ratio movie prints however it did not come to my mind when I wad stating the statement (:lol). Good that you mentioned that. Makes me think what are they doing by stretching movies this wide?
Well, the channels convert it to 16:9 so that users can enjoy full screen (without bars) movie experience. Most people would not even know that some parts of the movie are being chopped off. So, it is a win-win situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Can some one reply for the above query .
I have heard of Panasonic exiting plasma business from 2012. I still bought a plasma in June. Perhaps there is a risk. But no risk, no rewards.
Old 15th October 2013, 13:18   #6996
BHPian

Hi,

I just got a LG 47LN5710 a week ago.
how do i connect my iPhone5 to it? Now the iPhone does not have the "Wifi Direct" option on it as suggested in the TV user guide.
Really appreciate your help!

Thanks!!
Old 15th October 2013, 14:24   #6997
BHPian

I think you need lightning to av digital adapter that connects to an hdmi cable which in turn to hdmi port. Approx 50$ :((
Old 15th October 2013, 14:50   #6998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Hi,

I just got a LG 47LN5710 a week ago.
how do i connect my iPhone5 to it? Now the iPhone does not have the "Wifi Direct" option on it as suggested in the TV user guide.
Really appreciate your help!

Thanks!!
Hi,

You need to have both the devices connected to the same network (through the same router) & you will have to download a dlna app on your iPhone (I use Flipps formerly known as imediashare lite).The app will look for devices and if successful your TV will show a message that a device is trying to connect and you simply have to press OK to pair it with your TV.

Last edited by lancerlover : 15th October 2013 at 14:53.
Old 15th October 2013, 14:54   #6999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerlover View Post
Hi,

You need to have both devices connected to the same network (through the same router) & you will have to download a dlna app on your iPhone (I use Flipps formerly known as imediashare lite).The app will look for devices and if successful your TV will show a message that a device is trying to connect and you simply have to press OK to pair it with your TV.
Thanks LancerLover!
I'm going try this today and see if this works!
Old 16th October 2013, 09:49   #7000
Distinguished - BHPian

I was not looking to replace my 40" Samsung LCD which was bought during Diwali of 2007, which is exactly 6 years ago as its still running flawlessly though the colors may not be as vibrant as it was when new.

But, as is a tradion of buying something new for home during Dussera/Diwali of each year, I casually checked out some TV's at Reliance Digital ( first visit to explore buying a TV)

Within an hour, I decided to buy this TV :-

It's a 51" Samsung Plasma with FULL HD + 3D+ SMART TV

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsun...5500_TV_review

Reason for buying was I got a fantastic deal in exchange for my existing TV

I got 2 3D glasses free with this TV and also a FREE Blu Ray DVD Player which has an MRP of Rs.7999 but usually sold for Rs.6500 :-

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/blu-...100/ZA-reviews

Delivery is expected either in 1-2 days, will post a short review of this tv after using it for a few weeks.

P.S: Deal clincher was the unbeilevable price offered for my 6 year old LCD
Old 16th October 2013, 10:45   #7001
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I have an lg, 42lv5500,and a couple of days back, there was no picture, just sound. One local techie has taken the power supply board, saying that may be the problem.
All this in less than one year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Did they say its the panel that needs replacing?

Is it completely dead ,can you hear the sound?

If you can hear the sound ,try glowing a flashlight and see if you can notice any picture.If you can see the picture ,then the backlight or the LED emitter needs to replaced or possibly the power supply mosfet for the LED emitters needs to be replaced.

Unfortunately it can happen to any make and model.Based on the complaints online Sony has lesser complaints then others but not by big margin.

Okay, I have an update on this.
Basically, due to being lazy, I saved on almost 40k.

A local techie checked the TV and said its a fault with one of the boards, then recanted saying the planel itself is shot.
Then an LG authorized guy diagnosed it saying the panels gone.
Now, both of these guys said we can take it off of your hands for 6-7k. I just hung onto it thinking ill try and get a better price.
Called up another local techie a few days back, and described the problem to him. This guy takes care of about 200 odd houses in my society, so he was quite honest(golden eggs, hen, etc). He came by, checked the flat connectors inside, found a bit of corrosion, and scraped it off. Voila!!
This part, if replaced, costs about 1k.

The other two guys were just trying to make a quick 30k odd selling off my perfectly good smart TV.

So basically, I dont want to live in this country anymore.
You dont have to assume that everyone is out to gyp you.
They just ARE trying to gyp you.
Old 16th October 2013, 11:46   #7002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Reason for buying was I got a fantastic deal in exchange for my existing TV
What was the exchange price offered? I have a similar 6 year old Samsung 40 inch and am looking to upgrade.

Thanks.
Old 16th October 2013, 17:52   #7003
BHPian

Thanks to all of you who made me choose a plasma .
I bought myself a LG 50 inch plasma. As you all know there is very minimal choice for plasma available in the market today . It should be Samsung or LG or Panasonic . I was very much towards Panasonic but the news of its exit in the plasma business made me worry , so dropped down Panasonic. The left out were LG and Samsung . Somehow I don't know the exact reason , but I didn't like Samsung's picture clarity etc so decided to go on with LG .
As far as the LG plasma is concerned the picture quality is good and price is great . May be I can add more information after I spend some time watching movies etc during the weekend.
Old 17th October 2013, 14:51   #7004
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Many plasma buys happening on this page.

Congratulations!
Please remember to take it easy for the first 200 hours - the 'running in' time. There are many links on the Internet on the do's and dont's.
Old 17th October 2013, 16:08   #7005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I was not looking to replace my 40" Samsung LCD which was bought during Diwali of 2007, which is exactly 6 years ago as its still running flawlessly though the colors may not be as vibrant as it was when new.

P.S: Deal clincher was the unbeilevable price offered for my 6 year old LCD
Ah!! Your post is tempting me. For some reason I was also looking to upgrade my 3 year old 40" Samsung LCD to a plasma.

Can you reveal the offer they made to the LCD and was it due to getting a Samsung again or we can trade in for a different brand too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks