Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2014, 11:12   #7441
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am not looking for any special sound quality. All I am looking for is the kind of sound available on 12000 Rs TVs 15 years back.
My suggestion is you buy the TV first and then see if it lives up to the expectations in terms of audio. It would depend on the listeners and the environment as well.

I am happy with the speakers on my Panasonic plasma, though reviews indicate that the sound is not good.
For movies though, I don't use the speakers. (My Raspberry Pi has standard 3.5" jack which allows me to connect my 7 year old iBall wood 2.1 speaker system and that is pretty good.)

So, if you need the TV to watch daily soap operas and reality shows, I think the LCD/LED will satisfy that requirement. But if you are listening to music on MTV/ VH1, perhaps you will find the sound to be flat
Old 16th June 2014, 14:05   #7442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
Opting for current gen TV's you will be disappointed in their sound quality. Plan for a home theatre too in your budget.
Quote:
Are you saying that a 42" LG LED TV will have worse sound than my current 29" LG CRT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
yes, very much so that you would need a home theatre system.
Not comparing a CRT and an LED TV here, but I bought an LG 42inch LED TV during Diwali last year. The sound quality is good enough and i usually watch TV with the volume indicator between 10 and 20 depending on the media played. If it's cable TV then it depends on transmission and for some channels you need to increase or reduce the volume. A lot also depends on ambient noise.

I only use the HT system when I am watching HD movies and this is when the TV speakers are turned down to zero.

My suggestion is to just buy the TV for now and if you still feel the volume is not acceptable, then buy a HT system. Watching movies on a large screen with a HT plugged in is very enjoyable. I watch maybe one or two movies a year in a cinema.
Old 16th June 2014, 14:24   #7443
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
My suggestion is to just buy the TV for now and if you still feel the volume is not acceptable, then buy a HT system. Watching movies on a large screen with a HT plugged in is very enjoyable. I watch maybe one or two movies a year in a cinema.
No, I am not asking about the volume at all but sound quality. I paid for the TV yesterday & it will be delivered tomorrow. The volume seemed enough at the showroom. I am more worried about the quality of sound. Someone above said you can't clearly make out conversation etc - I didn't find that to be the case in the showroom. Let me wait till the TV gets delivered and then see.
Old 16th June 2014, 21:24   #7444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
LG has got the formula right in WMs and LCD/LED panels. No harm in buying the same. Sony is now more or less a spent force.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
I was in the same boat as you. LG was never in my radar but, when I started reading reviews of LG tv's and other products, I realized that they offer far more value for your buck in comparison to Samsung and Sony in Tv's and also in mobiles. You can refer to my opinion on the LG tv I bought last Diwali.
A bit too late, I already paid for a Sony 48" last evening. I value opinions on Team Bhp a lot. Anyway, reasons for going for Sony are: less failure from online reports and from friend circle, and decent picture quality. My comparison on Saturday was 42", on Sunday I watched 48" Sony, LG and Samsung side by side and the Sony was not trailing very far behind LG in colour rendition. The Samsung model was slightly lower range, and picture was palest.

Like I already mentioned, my perception of the LG brand in TVs, ACs, mobiles, etc is not very high. I trust them in kitchen equipment / appliances. There are a lot of report on Samsung TV failures. Which brings up the next question: if Sony is sourcing panels from others, how has it been able to ensure durability?
Old 16th June 2014, 22:26   #7445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
if Sony is sourcing panels from others, how has it been able to ensure durability?
Failure rates of Sony are similar to others (my experience from corporate purchase for deployment across states).

On average, display panels last 2 to 4 years. Failure rates are higher in cities like Mumbai/Chennai.
Old 17th June 2014, 14:14   #7446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Failure rates of Sony are similar to others (my experience from corporate purchase for deployment across states).

On average, display panels last 2 to 4 years. Failure rates are higher in cities like Mumbai/Chennai.
This information is both enlightening as well as disheartening. Most people I know who own Sony has it going strong for 2+ years. keeping my fingers crossed and will purchase extended warranty before end of standard warranty.
Old 17th June 2014, 17:07   #7447
BANNED

Quote:
No, I am not asking about the volume at all but sound quality. I paid for the TV yesterday & it will be delivered tomorrow. The volume seemed enough at the showroom. I am more worried about the quality of sound. Someone above said you can't clearly make out conversation etc - I didn't find that to be the case in the showroom. Let me wait till the TV gets delivered and then see.
Got the TV delivered today - LG 42" 5610. The sound seems good enough for me.
Old 17th June 2014, 19:17   #7448
BHPian

Quote:
Failure rates of Sony are similar to others ( my experience from corporate purchase for deployment across states ).
On average, display panels last 2 to 4 years.
Quote:
This information is both enlightening as well as disheartening.
Most people I know who own Sony has it going strong for 2+ years.
I bought a Sony KLV-40X450 in December 2008, even at that time it had local dimming with an RGB LED back-panel & stuff.
Two months after expiry of the 12-month warranty period the TV started developing an issue with vertical lines on the display.
The Sony Service folks had to change some board in the back ( cost was ~26K for the board ), twice, to get it to work properly again !
That said, the TV has worked flawlessly since then & has even survived a Chennai to Bangalore ride in the back of my Alto last year.
To this day it impresses me with it's picture quality, so any troubles faced initially have been long-forgotten...

Quote:
Failure rates are higher in cities like Mumbai/Chennai.
Is this due to the heat & humidity or something else ?

Quote:
Keeping my fingers crossed and will purchase extended warranty before end of standard warranty.
Thanks, did not know Sony offers something like an Extended Warranty for it's TVs.
Old 17th June 2014, 20:45   #7449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Is this due to the heat & humidity or something else ?
Depends on city + installation (AC / HVAC / Open Air).

E.g.: Sulfur + other corrosive pollutants in NCR. Pollutants + Salt + Humidity in Chennai / Mumbai.

An extreme example with an installation that has 8,000 LCD monitors (combination of all three):

Quote:
“We have been getting an extraordinary number of maintenance calls from customers in Mindspace, and the replacements are as high as 80% as compared to the standard failure rates of 2% to 5%. The number of calls from Mindspace alone accounts for the most complaints in Mumbai,’’ said one of the many partners for the multinational brand which did not want its identity to be disclosed.
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repos...sh-skin-custom
Old 17th June 2014, 21:34   #7450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Thanks, did not know Sony offers something like an Extended Warranty for it's TVs.
Sony offers extended warranty which can be bought anytime within the first year. For 48" for two years it is Rs.7500.

After paying for the TV I read some reviews and 48W600B seems to be a good one. Will get delivery tomorrow.
Old 17th June 2014, 22:32   #7451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After paying for the TV I read some reviews and 48W600B seems to be a good one. Will get delivery tomorrow.
It has built in WiFi... would be fun to binge on youtube on it.
Old 18th June 2014, 14:55   #7452
BHPian

Need advice from fellow members:

I need a 50 to 60 inch flat screen TV for general watching. I'm inclined towards a plasma as one of my other TV is a Panasonic plasma. But considering that its a dying breed I need suggestions as I have a LCD too for my personal viewing and happy with it. I havent had any experience with LEDs and am generally put off from them because of the weak speakers that are put in them. I'll be also considering a home theater system and the TV will be wall mounted.

All suggestions, personal experiences etc. will be most helpful as its been almost 3 years I bought my TVs and don't know whats going one now and what setup is best for such size TVs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th June 2014, 22:08   #7453
BHPian

Quote:
It has built in WiFi... would be fun to binge on Youtube on it.
That's right. Right now I can't even explore the settings since my son has monopolised the brand new TV to watch his animation movies.
Old 19th June 2014, 16:23   #7454
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what are the good internet apps to watch movies and car/racing related stuff on the TV? I recently got a Sony 700 Series TV. Never been into watching TV, but want to start. For a starter, converted Tatasky to HD and also got Discovery Turbo.

I can access Netflix (free 1 month login on the TV, but quality is low). Anything similar?
Old 21st June 2014, 17:22   #7455
BANNED

Quote:
Got the TV delivered today - LG 42" 5610. The sound seems good enough for me.
The picture when connected to my SD Dish TV box was not clear at all. And also some lines. The LG guy said it's because of my AV cable. He had replaced it with a Stackfine AV Cable and picture quality improved dramatically. And the audio is OK but not as good as my earlier LG 29" CRT.

BTW, I bought the TV at Kohinoor (as recommended by Ghodlur) . They offered me a better price than Croma or any other retailer on the LG 42LB5610 - 46,500 and 45000 with exchange - this is a better price for the 2014 model than what Flipkart, Croma and Sumaria offer on a out of production 2013 42" LG LED TV.

In the Picture settings, there is an option which allows you set it at (Power Safer off or minimum or maximum or medium) - what do people here set it at.

Most Viewed