Team-BHP - The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/19585-tv-thread-lcd-led-etc-51.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST7677 (Post 686028)
Sony D-Series have a 10 bit color panel with 100Hz motion blur reduction feature.

Thé BRAVIA picture processing engine is much ahead of the competition and gives very clear results with local Standard Def day today viewing.

IMO, This combination is the best non-HD option available today.

The D-series as far as my knowledge goes does not have true 100Hz frame rate. The motion blur processor works by inserting frames where the movement is faster to give a pseudo feel of removing the motion blur. No doubt it works very well. Just try watching the news channels with teh scrolling text. Switch the motion blur on and off the difference is visible.

However there is a true 100Hz LCD available. The Panasonic 32LX700. It is a 100Hz model and the clarity is really good. It's priced at Rs.59,000.

Lo... first it was HD and true HD!
Now what is this 100Hz and True 100 Hz can you pl explain...

100Hz is the refresh rate. The general frame refresh rate of old CRT's was 50Hz. hence you you would see the screen flickering.

Later gen CRT TV's upped the refresh rate to 100Hz. Example was the Sony Wega DRC series.

LCD's came with 50Hz initially. Only now sharp/Panasonic have the 100Hz model available.

Sony's D series inserts frames when needed based on what your viewing. It's like a software processing. It's not a default 100Hz TV. The panasonic is always 100Hz.

we discussed this earlier as well. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...lcd-tv-38.html

Can the above be confirmed anywhere...?

From the Sony/Panasonic website, it seems that the TV is always on 100HZ mode but the processed frames are added only for fast moving scenes... In Sony you can switch of the MotionFlow, where as 'Always on' of Panasonic implies that you cannot switch it off, even if you want. According to Sony 100Hz may not be good for all content / taste and hence the option switch it off.

Also CNET rates 100hz MotionFlow feature of Sony as best implementation of Judder reduction amongst all TVs.

The Panasonic is always on because it is a true 100Hz picture.

In case of Sony it can be switched on and off that's because it is a processor which estimates new in between frames and inserts them in. The processor calculates the next frame and inserts it. The estimate may not always be true and lead to incorrect detail.

I dont have any link on this as this is what I am currently working on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 688311)
The Panasonic is always on because it is a true 100Hz picture.

In case of Sony it can be switched on and off that's because it is a processor which estimates new in between frames and inserts them in. The processor calculates the next frame and inserts it. The estimate may not always be true and lead to incorrect detail.

I dont have any link on this as this is what I am currently working on.

Umm.. this is exactly the same thing that the Panny does. the only thing is that if you do not like the way it does this processing there is absolutely no way to turn it off.

Linky to review:
Panasonic TX32LXD700 Review – Viera 32" LCD TV Test

Been to Reliance Digital last weekend, Hitachi 32A01 and Pansonic 32LX700M were very good. So was Sony D and V series. I am leaning towards Hitachi 32A01.. btw. Sharp 32Bx6M is available for 41K where as in the Sharp showroom it is 54K .. Why such a high diff in price??

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggressive_anush (Post 688793)
Umm.. this is exactly the same thing that the Panny does. the only thing is that if you do not like the way it does this processing there is absolutely no way to turn it off.

Linky to review:
Panasonic TX32LXD700 Review – Viera 32" LCD TV Test

Excellent link Anush. The review on teh D series seems to be very good.

The processor the panny uses is definitely a 100Hz full time processor and not just a motion estimation one like the link mentions. I'll try and get the data sheet of the on board processor. (I don't work for panasonic or any other Tv maker:D)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazikon (Post 688820)
Been to Reliance Digital last weekend, Hitachi 32A01 and Pansonic 32LX700M were very good. So was Sony D and V series. I am leaning towards Hitachi 32A01.. btw. Sharp 32Bx6M is available for 41K where as in the Sharp showroom it is 54K .. Why such a high diff in price??

Also it is worth mentioning that the hitachi and Panasonic have a IPS (In plane switching) panel which is more expensive but offers better viewing angle with less colour loss and has a better colour gradient.

The samsung/Sony uses a S-PVA (Super Patterned vertical alignment) panel. The S-PVA is more cost effective and delivers delivers high brightness contrast levels.

Reliance digital were selling teh same TV during the first week for Rs.38K. It has been increased after all the 100 sets were sold. The BX6M is an older 2006 model. Sharp showroom's will still sell at mrp.

Quote:

• 100hz processing cannot be switched off and creates motion artefacts – be sure you aren’t susceptible to these
  • Almost no control over the screen’s light output

IMO, these 2 are big enough reasons for not to go for Pany!
I would want control on both.

I also remember reading about issues with the D series and motion blur while gaming.

Sony KDL32D3000 Xbox 360 Motion Blur - AVForums

Some users did mention that fiddling with the options solved it. while this worked for some people it didnt for the others. So if you do intend on using the D series for gaming perhaps you need to check this out too.

Found an excellent Video on Sony Motion Flow at work...
Sony KDL32D3000 Motion Enhancer Video: High & Standard

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangaraj (Post 676529)
Generally speaking, the audio quality on these slim LCD/Plasma displays are quite crappy.. They are all pretty much the same. My personal preference is the Sony. If budget is not a problem, then there is a new crop of OLED TVs that have just been announced with a phenomenal contrast ratio. Samsung's costs 2.5L. The prices should drop as volumes pickup..

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST7677 (Post 679337)
I would recommend a Sony LCD if you can afford one. The Bravia engine is undoubtably the best.

Thanks for your replies guys. I'll look into it - so the general trend does seem to favour Sony! :) Sounds good!

1. Which would be the best VFM Full HD 40" set (Plasma / LCD) in Bangalore right now?

2. Price?

3. Is it better to wait for more Full HD sets to come, or is there an equally VFM "HD Ready" set that would perform as well?

TIA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 691595)
1. Which would be the best VFM Full HD 40" set (Plasma / LCD) in Bangalore right now?

2. Price?

3. Is it better to wait for more Full HD sets to come, or is there an equally VFM "HD Ready" set that would perform as well?.

Beyond price one has to consider A.S.S. If one brings A.S.S into the equation I beleive the Koreans have done it again. Samsung (the Hyundai of the white goods business baring ACs) offers very good VFM.

They also have a wide range of LCD sets from fully HD with 3 HDMI inputs and greater than 10000:1 contrast ratio to simpler sets.

Actually there is little HD software out there. When i got my LCD TV (full HD) they gave a HD DVD player (I found out later it was not full HD) and HDMI cable free with it. However there is little software out there that takes advantage of either full HD or even semi-HD (or whatever they call it).

We compared the Sony and the Samsung and while the Sony offered better picture quality and even aesthetics, we have heard horror stories about their service so got the Samsung.

Quote:

3. Is it better to wait for more Full HD sets to come, or is there an equally VFM "HD Ready" set that would perform as well?
Depends on your use.
For general TV/movie viewing there is no need for Full HD on a 40" set. It is hard to notice any difference from 8-10 ft distance.

Whereas if you are going to connect it to computer OFTEN, and sit a meter away than only Full HD makes sense.

Do note that there is hardly any Full HD content available in India, and things are not going to change much for a year or two. I guess by that time there will be better & cheaper Full HD option available.

42" HD ready Plasma would turn out cheaper than 40" HD Ready LCD. Though Plasma vs LCD is a different debate, already beaten to death earlier on this thread.