Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2015, 19:16   #7861
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

guys i am really happy with my lg 49lf6300. my personal experience with the lg

Old 6th October 2015, 10:45   #7862
vdi
BHPian

Can someone suggest a good 32 inch smart tv. Tried the Toshiba but the retailers here at Cochin says its no longer available in the market though its available online.
Old 6th October 2015, 14:49   #7863
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't find any online reviews of this product -- any users on this forum using this?

PANASONIC TH-50C410D FULL HD TV?

Feedback/Review appreciated.

Cheers
Old 9th October 2015, 10:16   #7864
BHPian

Wall Mount

Guys, anyone installed a wall mount recently?

Our living room is - 15' x10' (image below)
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-living-layout.jpg

I plan on mounting the TV bracket in marked location.
It should be flat on wall A (I can game while sitting on the 2 seater-sofa)
& at times swivel in a corner position as indicated in paint illustration above (to avoid glare from window behind 2 seaters & when >2 people are watching TV)
(Yes, I don't have work in the office today )

Any pointers?

I have this product in mind:
TANOTIS Wall Mount (Corner - Tilt & swivel) @ 1900 INR

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 9th October 2015 at 10:21.
Old 9th October 2015, 10:25   #7865
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Wall Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

Our living room is - 15' x10' (image below)
Attachment 1424900

I plan on mounting the TV bracket in marked location.
It should be flat on wall A (I can game while sitting on the 2 seater-sofa)
& at times swivel in a corner position as indicated in paint illustration above (to avoid glare from window behind 2 seaters & when >2 people are watching TV)
(Yes, I don't have work in the office today )

Any pointers?

I have this product in mind:
TANOTIS Wall Mount (Corner - Tilt & swivel) @ 1900 INR

Thanks,

Ace.
I suggest you walk across to multiple TV showrooms in your locality. Most of them have these swivel-type mounts and they can give you real feedback on the good ones. Mind you they will not sell you one but can advise on practical aspects of the different types and brands.
Old 9th October 2015, 10:33   #7866
BHPian

Re: Wall Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I suggest you walk across to multiple TV showrooms in your locality. Most of them have these swivel-type mounts and they can give you real feedback on the good ones. Mind you they will not sell you one but can advise on practical aspects of the different types and brands.
Good Point!
Thanks for the blazing quick turnaround

Also, some nice products to go along with TV mounts:

Set top box/PS3 (?) mount @ 250INR

Thanks,

Ace.
Old 9th October 2015, 10:53   #7867
BHPian

Hello All,

Now i am in market for a new TV set.

My Current Setup: (Almost 6 yrs old)

32" FHD Samsung LCD
Sony Basic HT system.

Now i want to buy a bigger screen. The confusion is, should i go for UHD or HD.
I know the UHD is the next new technology where HD will go gradually.

Again UHD contents are not widely available.
A single channel is provided by Set top box companies.

My Option are :

1) Now go for a cheap 55" FHD TV like Vu / AOC / Micromax then upgrade for a good UHD TV.
2) Go for a Branded(Sony / Samsung / LG) 55" FHD TV and use it for another 6 yrs.
3) Go for a small size like 45" or 48" FHD TV. (Price is very high even for a small size)

What you guys think ?

Is it wise to invest a lot in UHD TV now ?

Or should i go for a bigger 55" FHD ?

Please advice.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th October 2015, 11:13   #7868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

since you will be rotating it frequently I suggest you buy one that stretches till the end of the tv. This you can use to put your hand on to swivel the tv. This is useful as led panels are thin and will crack or break. The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-imageuploadedbyteambhp1444369289.245682.jpg
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-imageuploadedbyteambhp1444369318.381713.jpg

Buy this in your local market, it will be half price than a tv store
Old 9th October 2015, 12:33   #7869
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post

1) Now go for a cheap 55" FHD TV like Vu / AOC / Micromax then upgrade for a good UHD TV.
2) Go for a Branded(Sony / Samsung / LG) 55" FHD TV and use it for another 6 yrs.
3) Go for a small size like 45" or 48" FHD TV. (Price is very high even for a small size)
Been there, done that. I bought a 55" Sony HD.

TV companies will keep coming up with new tech every year - how else will they make users upgrade? Some are sensible, some is just marketing faff. I think it's going to be a long time before UHD becomes mainstream. I view a lot of movies / shows online and none of them have a UHD option yet (including on YouTube).

I'm using the Sony HD since a while and the clarity is topnotch. Just wondering how much it can further improve. I say, go with option 2 on your list. Be sure to get a proper smart tv & a good soundbar / system .

Last edited by GTO : 9th October 2015 at 12:34.
Old 9th October 2015, 12:47   #7870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
I second GTO's suggestion.

Some 3 years back I was in a similar dilemma. If to go for a 55 inch HD or 47 inch HD+ 3D.

Since, that time 3D was to be the next logical step after HD I went and opted for 47HD+3D option. I must say, I have watched few 3D content in the same, both animated movies and YouTube videos.

However, with limited use, I now feel I could have gone for a bigger screen sacrificing the 3D option.

In your case, price difference between similar sized HD and UHD is huge. Save that money and as GTO suggested go for a music system. Or, better invest the money now and upgrade couple of years sooner than you would have.
Old 9th October 2015, 13:30   #7871
BHPian

I bought a VU 55" about a year ago. Got a great price Vis a Vis sony/samsung. My bro in law has a sony and a samsung and i feel that there is precious little that they offer for the extra $$ they require.
Also i got a written 3 year replacement warranty from VU compared to the regular 1 year that is offered by big brands.
Buying a uhd is unnecessary. I feel paying a huge premium for a smart tv is also unnecessary. With devices like apple tv/chrome cast one can replicate the experience for far less.
Buying a good sound bar as advised by GTO is critical. I strongly feel that unless a good big tv is not accompanied by great sound as well the whole exercise is wasted..!
Old 9th October 2015, 14:56   #7872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Been there, done that. I bought a 55" Sony HD.
I say, go with option 2 on your list. Be sure to get a proper smart tv & a good soundbar / system .
Thank you very much Rush, for your suggestions. Now i am also thinking on the same direction.
Why wasting money for UHD which has limited availability.

I will go for a FHD TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I second GTO's suggestion.

Some 3 years back I was in a similar dilemma. If to go for a 55 inch HD or 47 inch HD+ 3D.

In your case, price difference between similar sized HD and UHD is huge. Save that money and as GTO suggested go for a music system. Or, better invest the money now and upgrade couple of years sooner than you would have.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, bigger screen make sense rather than TV with limited usage feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion View Post
I bought a VU 55" about a year ago. Got a great price Vis a Vis sony/samsung. My bro in law has a sony and a samsung and i feel that there is precious little that they offer for the extra $$ they require.
Also i got a written 3 year replacement warranty from VU compared to the regular 1 year that is offered by big brands.
Buying a good sound bar as advised by GTO is critical. I strongly feel that unless a good big tv is not accompanied by great sound as well the whole exercise is wasted..!
Thanks for the reply.

Vu /AOC /Micromax/intex TVs are VFM now.
But user reviews are not good of these companies.
peoples are complaining about color / flickering issues.
Even someone complain about Vu's ignorance about customer support.

** No offence to any brand**
Old 9th October 2015, 16:16   #7873
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I must say, I have watched few 3D content in the same, both animated movies and YouTube videos.
Same here. The only time I watched a 3D flick was at the time of installation (dealer's demo). Never after that.

Quote:
Save that money and as GTO suggested go for a music system.
Quote:
I wanted a clean look. Chose the JBL soundbar and my god, it fills the room up. Excellent bass too. IIRC, I got the SB400 (not sure).

Quote:
Completely agreed. VU is indeed superb VFM.

I basically picked on the basis of what I saw in person. All the data online was very confusing - if only buying a TV was as easy as buying a car .

In the end, I walked up to the dealer, saw all the TVs side by side and picked the Sony. Love the clarity.

Quote:
Yeah, Sony is pricey. I had to pay 12.5k extra for 2 years extended warranty (total = 3 years).
Old 9th October 2015, 16:21   #7874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Buying a uhd is unnecessary. I feel paying a huge premium for a smart tv is also unnecessary. With devices like apple tv/chrome cast one can replicate the experience for far less.
VU has actually launched a new range of UHD TV's that bring the price gap between HD & UHD even closer.
Given that we should hopefully have UHD media coming in soon (at least sooner than 3D) - may be worth spending the few thousands extra if it is a long term buy.

BTW - we also picked up a VU 50" TV last year and very happy with it. My previous organization picked up two super-TVs from them also and are very happy with the whole experience and VFM.
Personally now looking at the 48" VU UHD TV for my room - priced in the mid-high 40's, it is incredible VFM.
Old 9th October 2015, 17:51   #7875
BHPian

Uhd or 4k - no chance of it becoming mainstream telecast mode for another 3-5 yrs.
To dl a movie (if & whn they become available) you would require storage of 50+ gb per movie (read 100 gb).
To stream from Netflix like site you would require a broadband speed of 25Mbps (min).
Gamers will be the subgroup that will adopt this mode first and even that is 3 yrs away. So unless you are into gaming... think again and even if you are then also think again.
My suggestion would to refrain from paying any premium for 4k and instead invest that money into a Dolby Atmos surround sound system.

Most Viewed