Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2016, 09:02   #8026
BHPian

Display Problem in 5 year old Sony HD TV

I purchased a Sony Full HD TV KLV 32 NX500 in March 2010. It has been doing well till last month. Since the last month I am seeing double images and some horizontal lines at the bottom of the display.

Called up a friend of mine who is expert with Samsung TV. In Samsung TVs there is something called the Timing Control Board which when goes defective this sort of image deterioration is seen it seems. And in most Samsung TVs this is a separate board that could be replaced, while some TV makers integrate this board into the LCD panel itself and the customer would end up replacing the complete LCD panel itself. So asked me to call up the Sony service guy to check it up.

Upon registering a complaint online, as service guy turned up the next day and went through the symptoms in my TV. After a few checks he confirmed that the entire panel needs replacement and would set me back by Rs13500/-. The above said board was an integral portion of LCD panel in this model.

So I am wondering if I should just pack this TV and go for a 32" HD LCD from Micromax at the same cost of the Sony LCD screen itself, or take the plunge and the get the panel changed in my existing TV itself. The replaced panel comes with 1 year warranty. Please advise.

-Ilango
Old 26th February 2016, 09:44   #8027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
After a few checks he confirmed that the entire panel needs replacement and would set me back by Rs13500
ask the guy if he can change components. My friends Sony 32 recently had board issues and was first told the board needs to be changed. On pushing the technician to find a cheaper solution he finally did it by component change at a total cost of 1800.
Old 12th March 2016, 23:41   #8028
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

http://www.cromaretail.com/Televisio...#!B=Hitachi-TV

Hi all, would like to know if these are actually hitachi made TVs or just hitachi brand on some chinese/korean TVs? If they are genuine japanese hitachi ones i would like to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post

I found this Hitachi and getting it for 54K. Is this worth it?

http://www.cromaretail.com/Hitachi-L...26716-739.aspx
Hi nitin, did you buy it? if so, can you give a review, post a pic of the information on the box?

where were you getting for 54K? I believe its sold exclusively by croma and they dont offer any discount. (are giving a free samsung dvd player and speakers worth ~5k.)
Old 13th March 2016, 22:15   #8029

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I got a Vu a couple of weeks back and got it offline from a store since flipkart was going saying it'll take 10 days to deliver in Noida and I was impatient.

Flipkart would have been cheaper, though...
Wow! Is Flipkart delivering to Noida now? On the website, almost all e-commerce forms say they don't sell to Noida. For all the good deals, I have to get my stuff delivered to Delhi and then bring it over myself.
Old 14th March 2016, 11:22   #8030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
ask the guy if he can change components. My friends Sony 32 recently had board issues and was first told the board needs to be changed. On pushing the technician to find a cheaper solution he finally did it by component change at a total cost of 1800.
Hi, Thanks for the input. Could you please me the exact model of the TV your friend has?

-Ilango
Old 16th March 2016, 10:25   #8031
Senior - BHPian

Is anybody using this Panasonic TH-43CS400DX ? Seems to be pretty good value after the ICICI cashback bringing its price to below 40k. No reviews of this floating around the web , and local Panasonic shops are quoting absurd amounts compared to online deals.

EDIT: It is a replacement for Philips 42PUT4590 which I recently bought but am returning to Vijay Sales for a defect. It is a good TV , offers a nice range of features for the price, but poorly supported by both the company (PE Electronics , owned by Videocon) and Vijay Sales. It is not listed for sales anywhere else and even the website is very poorly designed and mostly doesnt the products you are looking for.

Last edited by sajo : 16th March 2016 at 10:33.
Old 16th March 2016, 11:09   #8032
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a 28 - 32 inches TV with 15K price band for my native house. it's a second TV for a bedroom and viewing is somewhat shorter.
Micromax and Vu has some LED panels lesser than 15k but saw some paper ads for Vu below 12K.
Any pointers?
Old 18th March 2016, 08:56   #8033
BHPian

Hello Bhpians

I am contemplating purchasing my first LED TV and would like to know your suggestions

Requirements
1. 40-43 Inches ( 6-7 ft viewing distance)
2. Good Brand support OR extended warranty (3-5 years)
3. Budget around 45k
4. Compatible with PS4/XboxOne
5. Full HD/Ultra HD display

Also, is it worth going in for SMART option? Or is chromecast sufficient? I will want the TV to pickup my home WiFi for watching youtube

Anyone has good experience with Vu/Panasonic/Phillips/Micromax? is it worth going for these brands?
Old 18th March 2016, 09:18   #8034
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I am contemplating purchasing my first LED TV and would like to know your suggestions

Anyone has good experience with Vu/Panasonic/Phillips/Micromax? is it worth going for these brands?
I got a Panasonic Full HD LED panel without any SMART functions, and access YouTube, NetFlix etc. via Apple TV. From my experience, Panasonic is pretty awesome.
Old 18th March 2016, 09:41   #8035
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians

Requirements
1. 40-43 Inches ( 6-7 ft viewing distance)
2. Good Brand support OR extended warranty (3-5 years)
3. Budget around 45k
4. Compatible with PS4/XboxOne
5. Full HD/Ultra HD display

Also, is it worth going in for SMART option? Or is chromecast sufficient? I will want the TV to pickup my home WiFi for watching Youtube

Panasonic is actually a good brand, just a tad below the big three( like Volvo ). We do have a Panasonic at our home and it is good, though we feel it a bit lacking in sound. The sound issue was taken care with the LG Soundbar we got with our LG 4K Tv.
Also do look out for LG's like LF5900 and LF5600. They fit your budget comfortably. If you are interested in UHD TV's, then check out the LG UB800t and the LGUB820t. They offer HDMI 2.0 unlike some other low cost UHD TV's(please check for HDMI 2.0 if you are going for a 4K TV). Though they will be 10k above your budget.
Do check out the Kohinoor electronics on the Palm Beach Road in Vashi, we got our 4k from them and got a good deal.
Also if you decide to go for an LG, then try to go for the F series and not the B series as the F series was introduced in 2015 and the B series in 2014. One more reason to negotiate further on those UB UHD TV's.
Keep us posted.

Last edited by AYP : 18th March 2016 at 09:49.
Old 18th March 2016, 10:01   #8036
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians

I am contemplating .....

Also, is it worth going in for SMART option? Or is chromecast sufficient? I will want the TV to pickup my home WiFi for watching Youtube

Hello There,

Pl avoid SMART. It can easily be replicated with Chromecast, and others.

Your first priority should be the panel. Rest are all bells and whistles.
Old 18th March 2016, 10:31   #8037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I am looking for a 28 - 32 inches TV with 15K price band for my native house. it's a second TV for a bedroom and viewing is somewhat shorter.
Micromax and Vu has some LED panels lesser than 15k but saw some paper ads for Vu below 12K.
Any pointers?
I recently purchased this (http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B019...ilpage_o00_s00) as my second TV for my parents. I wanted to go with Japanese brand, hence brought this. It is super lightweight and pretty slim also.
Old 18th March 2016, 11:30   #8038
BHPian

Looking to buy a VFM LED 32" TV for my friend's apartment. There seem to be a lot of options from relatively unknown brands, don't want to buy a problematic item. Shortlisted Micromax and Vu because I've seen both of them in use among my friend circle.

I have heard good things about the Noble brand though. Apparently it's a spin-off from the Onida group (although I don't know how true this is) Has anyone here used it? Would you recommend it? It is a good 3-4k cheaper than the Micromax and Vu's of the world.
Old 18th March 2016, 14:21   #8039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I got a Panasonic Full HD LED panel without any SMART functions, and access YouTube, NetFlix etc. via Apple TV. From my experience, Panasonic is pretty awesome.
Thanks for the suggestion reg Panasonic. Not sure i'll invest in Apple TV of chromecast can provide similar functions.
Panasonic +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Panasonic is actually a good brand, just a tad below the big three( like Volvo ). We do have a Panasonic at our home and it is good, though we feel it a bit lacking in sound. The sound issue was taken care with the LG Soundbar we got with our LG 4K Tv.
Also do look out for LG's like LF5900 and LF5600. They fit your budget comfortably. If you are interested in UHD TV's, then check out the LG UB800t and the LGUB820t. They offer HDMI 2.0 unlike some other low cost UHD TV's(please check for HDMI 2.0 if you are going for a 4K TV). Though they will be 10k above your budget.
Do check out the Kohinoor electronics on the Palm Beach Road in Vashi, we got our 4k from them and got a good deal.
Also if you decide to go for an LG, then try to go for the F series and not the B series as the F series was introduced in 2015 and the B series in 2014. One more reason to negotiate further on those UB UHD TV's.
Keep us posted.
Hey fellow Navi Mumbaikar ( I guess), thanks for the detailed post. LG seems within my reach as of now. The only hitch being they dont offer extended warranty. I will check out all the offline stores Kohinoor, Arcee and the likes to match the prices. Will keep you posted, the purchase will happen sometime in the last week of may

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hello There,

Pl avoid SMART. It can easily be replicated with Chromecast, and others.

Your first priority should be the panel. Rest are all bells and whistles.
Thanks skdking, you mean we can access all features like browsing etc as well?

Any suggestions regarding the panels ? or do's and don't regarding them?
Old 18th March 2016, 14:45   #8040
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks skdking, you mean we can access all features like browsing etc as well?

Any suggestions regarding the panels ? or do's and don't regarding them?
Difficult to go wrong with Sony, if you are looking for 98% reliability.

If 90% is acceptable then look at Max, Vu or others. You will save some money here which can be used to make the TV SMART.

Most Viewed