Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2017, 21:18   #8401
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

The starter on my 7 year old Panasonic TV (42" plasma) is about to give up again. It needs a couple of tries before switching on. It had given up a couple of years ago and I had replaced it then at around 12k INR.
I dont think replacing it again is a good idea

Should I try to buy a new Smart TV and exchange this one while it is still working? If so:
- what options do I have for a good full HD Smart TV? 4k is not needed. 42" is fine, should be able to use this as a screen for a desktop PC
- how much should I expect in exchange for a currently fully functional 7 year old plasma tv?
Old 19th June 2017, 21:34   #8402
Senior - BHPian

@selfdrive - Whatever you decide, never buy another Panasonic. Their customer service is very bad. I have a Panasonic Plasma which gave up after 4 years and they are not ready to repair the same. Emails/calls/tweets does not work when it comes to Panasonic.

You can get rid of your current TV under exchange and go for another brand.
Old 20th June 2017, 13:04   #8403
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

Should I try to buy a new Smart TV and exchange this one while it is still working? If so:
- what options do I have for a good full HD Smart TV? 4k is not needed. 42" is fine, should be able to use this as a screen for a desktop PC
- how much should I expect in exchange for a currently fully functional 7 year old plasma tv?
If you want full smart TV, Sony android would be a good idea. Android OS is much more robust on smart feature than other OS available in market. Else, if you are searching for a internet TV with a stick, there are many options.

For your old plasma, don't expect much. Plasma TVs have a limited lifeline are expensive to repair and already outgoing technology; combined may fetch not so good offer. Try Olx route than exchange, you can negotiate for a better deal.
Old 20th June 2017, 16:01   #8404
BHPian

Re: Sony, Samsung or VU

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
What will be your source, if you are going to watch SD content via your STB, stick to Sony.
If it is going to be HD/Netflix i would suggest the VU.
When i was checking out VU that is what made me drop it off my list was the SD playback.

There is very little 4K/UHD content out there.

If you can find a Full HD Smart TV, i would suggest that. Sony has a 55" W800D series, see what is the best price you can get for it.
Finally got myself Sony 49" 4K X83 model. I had amazon videos and hotstar already. Started the trial subscription of Netflix. Watching HD and 4k content is a great experience.

Thanks all for your inputs
Old 1st July 2017, 23:31   #8405
BHPian

Finally bought Sony 55x8200e, had zeroed on 55w800, upgraded due to 4k, trilluminoous display and HDR for future proofing.
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:39   #8406
Distinguished - BHPian

In the market for a 55 inch TV and was wondering about the whole 'SMART TV' push all manufacturers are doing. How much of it is worthwhile and how much is just marketing gimmicks.

I have a chromecast and this Logitech Revue Google TV Box (Review of the Logitech Revue with Google TV). Will a smart tv provide me any additional value add?

Assuming not, considering my not so high budget (maybe 75-80K), most of the big brands are out of budget.
  • The only Non-Smart TV that i saw was this 58 inch Panasonic
  • Only one from the main brands kind of in budget was this LG 55 inch Model
  • Another option looked at are the VU Range of TV's.
  • Also noticed that BPL has come out with an LED range and the 32 inch model seems to be a best seller. 55 inch does not seem to have reviews yet
Any inputs/suggestions?
Old 3rd August 2017, 21:39   #8407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
In the market for a 55 inch TV and was wondering about the whole 'SMART TV' push all manufacturers are doing. How much of it is worthwhile and how much is just marketing gimmicks.

Any inputs/suggestions?
@Rajeevraj - i would say go for the SmartTV option. The Logitech you have looks really good but is close to 5 years old. With Regards to Chromecast you need a phone to work with that.

I find having apps on the TV is much more convenient. Single remote to switch through them.

I recently picked a 32" LG smart TV to replace my first Samsung 26" LCD which is to 11 years old. The IPS Panel is great , picture quality and sound is brilliant. It has Amazon Prime app once you do the WebOS 3.0 update.

Like i mentioned in previous post, VU may not look to good with SD channels. The Sonys/Lgs/Samsungs have something in them which makes the SD look better.

If you do not plan to watch SD channels my recommendation would be the VU.

my 2 cents.
Old 3rd August 2017, 21:50   #8408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have a chromecast and this Logitech Revue Google TV Box (Review of the Logitech Revue with Google TV). Will a smart tv provide me any additional value add?

Assuming not, considering my not so high budget (maybe 75-80K), most of the big brands are out of budget.
  • Also noticed that BPL has come out with an LED range and the 32 inch model seems to be a best seller. 55 inch does not seem to have reviews yet
Any inputs/suggestions?
Quote:
@Rajeevraj - i would say go for the SmartTV option. The Logitech you have looks really good but is close to 5 years old. With Regards to Chromecast you need a phone to work with that.

I find having apps on the TV is much more convenient. Single remote to switch through them.

I recently picked a 32" LG smart TV to replace my first Samsung 26" LCD which is to 11 years old. The IPS Panel is great , picture quality and sound is brilliant. It has Amazon Prime app once you do the WebOS 3.0 update.

Like i mentioned in previous post, VU may not look to good with SD channels. The Sonys/Lgs/Samsungs have something in them which makes the SD look better.

my 2 cents.
In my view, a Smart TV is not really required - with the availability of Chromecastand more significantly Amazon Firestick.

I actually have both Chromecast and Firestick on my non-Smart TVs. With the Firestick, i get access to Amazon Prime Videos and movies (membership costs 500 INR per year).
Not only this, i can install almost any app on the Firestick like Hotstar/Youtube/NetFlix etc. and make the TV even more "smarter" than the standard smart TVs . The library of apps is growing every day - whereas with a Smart TV there is a restricted set of Apps.

With the Firestick, you no longer need to use Phone as remote. You get a separate Remote for the firestick (with voice commands feature which i never used so far).
Old 6th August 2017, 12:02   #8409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any inputs/suggestions?
In my experience a normal TV is the best option. Smart part of the TV does not last long, and after some time you are left with a "Less Smart" TV.

With constant advance in electronics and falling prices of add-on gadgets, you can always upgrade the "Smart" part with a new gadget.

As the difference in price between a Smart and an Ordinary TV is most of the time more than the cost of an add on adapter, buying a Smart TV does not make financial sense, unless there is no other alternative.
Old 6th August 2017, 20:39   #8410
BHPian

Quote:

Any inputs/suggestions?
Vu TVs are a good option. I have used a 47 inch VU for about 3 years without any issues and am currently using a 60 inch Vu smart tv and it is quite good. I rarely use the smart features as I have a mini PC connected to the TV. Smart TV takes longer to boot up compared to a regular one. That is a bit of a drawback.
Old 7th August 2017, 08:40   #8411
Senior - BHPian

Deals in Dubai are so tempting. Bought a 55inch 4K in a spot sale for AED 1200, and got it home to Bengaluru. Have a great Panasonic Plasma, which unfortunately has to be given away now. Cant have two TVs at home so in a dilemma.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-lg-4k.png  

Old 7th August 2017, 09:18   #8412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Deals in Dubai are so tempting. Bought a 55inch 4K in a spot sale for AED 1200, and got it home to Bengaluru. Have a great Panasonic Plasma, which unfortunately has to be given away now. Cant have two TVs at home so in a dilemma.
Nice.
Could you tell me the model number and how much duty you paid?
Old 7th August 2017, 16:01   #8413
Senior - BHPian

Go for Internet TVs instead of smart TVs. You can keep making your TV smarter with add-ons like chromecast and amazon provided devices.

Android stuffed TVs will not last long due to inherit nature of Android's becoming slower with frequent updates on the old hardware.

Buy any Sony internet LED and forget it for next 10 years.
Old 7th August 2017, 16:10   #8414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

my 2 cents.
Thanks for the inputs. Definitely watch SD content a lot. If SD does not good look on a VU, then that's definitely a deal breaker for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
In my view, a Smart TV is not really required - with the availability of Chromecastand more significantly Amazon Firestick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In my experience a normal TV is the best option. Smart part of the TV does not last long, and after some time you are left with a "Less Smart" TV.
Thanks. I am also trending towards this. I can buy multiple chromecasts and Amazon Fire Stick for the price difference between a smart and non smart TV.

Challenge I am facing is to find good Non-Smart options in the 55inch space. So far I have seen only one Panasonic model which looks a good candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Vu TVs are a good option. I have used a 47 inch VU for about 3 years without any issues and am currently using a 60 inch Vu smart tv and it is quite good. I rarely use the smart features as I have a mini PC connected to the TV. Smart TV takes longer to boot up compared to a regular one. That is a bit of a drawback.
Thanks. How do you find the quality of SD channels on the VU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
That is such an awesome deal. Been looking for a TV exactly like this and there is nothing in India less than 1 Lakh for this configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Go for Internet TVs instead of smart TVs. You can keep making your TV smarter with add-ons like chromecast and amazon provided devices.

Android stuffed TVs will not last long due to inherit nature of Android's becoming slower with frequent updates on the old hardware.

Buy any Sony internet LED and forget it for next 10 years.
Thank you. Good point on the Android slowness issue. Also, What do you mean when you say Internet TV? TV with just wifi enabled?
Old 7th August 2017, 19:56   #8415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Good point on the Android slowness issue. Also, What do you mean when you say Internet TV? TV with just wifi enabled?
Yes, a TV with Wi-Fi connectivity/Wi-Fi Direct facility. Most internet TVs have few apps pre-installed like youtube, netflix etc.

For Example - https://www.flipkart.com/sony-bravia...SEH8VZGGHHGYCQ

Most Viewed