Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2018, 15:14   #8716
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
.. I suggest do check if you can get access to the VU ltdn55xt780xwau3d model ...
Yes, have heard very good things about this 2017 PixelLight model and wanted to see/test it and visited the vu showroom in my city which resulted in a comical experience. The so-called Vu showroom was actually a godown/warehouse for a multi brand outlet!! A few vu boxes were stacked around and the stockist was least knowledgeable or interested in selling (he actually said to my face that my usb stick cannot be plugged into the TV since set top box was already connected... i was like 'WHAT?!!" ). Exited in a hurry. If this is the kind of people i meet during evaluation phase, i dread how it will be when the inevitable problem surfaces later on. Till the time Vu gets its act together, i will stay away from this brand. Not feeling particularly lucky these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I agree with your views. The picture quality of Sony (& Samsung too) is very good.
My experience - Sony's entry level 55x7002F has much better PQ than Samsung mid-range 55NU7470 which costs more. Was lucky to stumble into a store which had both these models hanging side by side, so could plug in my 2 usb sticks in them and run the same test videos simultaneously on default settings. Sony DLED helped make it a brighter & contrasty display against samsung's dimmer ELED. Superior image processing makes Sony show realistic colours and sharper contours even while upscaling low quality videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
However had a bitter experience with Sony,
With electronics one can easily get unlucky even with the best of brands. With my Philips CRT, the initial few years were a nighmare with service technicians becoming regular visitors to our home that we became both friendly and weary of each other over time. For some reason, the set stabilised after a few years and hasn't had any complaints in over a decade now. The pin sharp images and lovely colours are a joy to watch even today after 14 years.

Last edited by WindRide : 19th September 2018 at 15:17.
Old 19th September 2018, 16:12   #8717
BHPian

How good is the below mentioned sound bar for a VU 43 inch LED TV that I have bought for my parents at home town one month ago. The sound output of the TV is not up to the mark in my opinion, even though my parents have no complaints.

https://www.amazon.in/E200-Soundbar-Speaker-System-Black/dp/B008ZXS7PY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1537353570&sr=8-6&keywords=sound+bar&tag=readyviews-21&utm_readyviews=1

Please suggest whether it is worth to go for this mini sound bar.

Last edited by Hickstead : 19th September 2018 at 16:28. Reason: Added additional information
Old 19th September 2018, 16:34   #8718
Oxy
BHPian

Though another Chinese brand, this might be interesting:

http://www.msn.com/en-in/money/gadge...jdZ?ocid=ientp
Old 19th September 2018, 19:38   #8719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
If this is the kind of people i meet during evaluation phase, i dread how it will be when the inevitable problem surfaces later on. Till the time Vu gets its act together, i will stay away from this brand. Not feeling particularly lucky these days
Ok. So that's probably not gonna change in a hurry. VU's focussed model of business is to sell directly at great prices (much like the Xiaomis of this world). So in a few city where they probably have any brick and mortar ops but that is rare in itself. They majorly rely on the online distribution channel and post sale they (the company) interact with you directly through emails.

When I asked you to check out the model I meant find out in your wider circle who, if anyone, is having this TV and experience it directly at his/her place.

By the way, the TV comes with an optional 3 years' warranty.

Last edited by Zappo : 20th September 2018 at 18:15.
Old 19th September 2018, 21:37   #8720
BHPian

Quote:
... They rely on online distribution and post sale they (the company) interacts with you directly through emails...
Thanks for the info. Yes the PQ of this model is awesome as per most reviews. Unfortunately no one in my circle has this TV and also its out of stock in the only outlet iam aware of.

Do you know how good their A.S.S is? Does VU outsource service to third-party techinical team or do they have their own inhouse personnel? Are they prompt in responding to issues?
Old 20th September 2018, 11:39   #8721
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Thanks for the info. Yes the PQ of this model is awesome as per most reviews. Unfortunately no one in my circle has this TV and also its out of stock in the only outlet iam aware of.

Do you know how good their A.S.S is? Does VU outsource service to third-party techinical team or do they have their own inhouse personnel? Are they prompt in responding to issues?
Let's spare the agony to the others. Will respond to you one-on-one.
Old 20th September 2018, 17:59   #8722
BHPian

Quote:
Let's spare the agony to the others. Will respond to you one-on-one.
As it is, many a members here own VU televisions and all of us gain, if the same is shared on this thread rather than on a private message.
Old 21st September 2018, 14:24   #8723
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
As it is, many a members here own VU televisions and all of us gain, if the same is shared on this thread rather than on a private message.
Oh ok. I am generally averse to dialogs between two people happening on the board. Normally PM suits the purpose better. However if you think it helps others let me put up a reworked "what I said" content here as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo

I am still not very sure of the A.S.S. quality but they seem to eagerly follow up on the issues over a phone call. I had asked them a couple of things after I purchased my TV. So it was not a potential sales call they were addressing and yet their tech dept called me twice and made sure I was satisfied with the answer. Similarly for the extended warranty their warranty department initiated an email on the subject on their own and followed it up to closure.

My way of looking at this purchase is a little different. I have had experience of most big brands (a Sony with my parents, a big LG 3D, a smaller Samsung and now a big VU TV). Samsung was not a very great experience initially as it conked off exactly at the end of the expiry period.

So, when I wanted to buy my latest TV (for the new house) I asked myself a simple question. If I had to get all that I am looking for (HDR, full color gamut, 4k, superb upscaling, local dimming etc.) along with a great PQ then what will I need to shell out for a Samsung or an LG? Soon I realized the least I will need was still well upwards of 1.2 Lakhs (55 inches) for the big brands with 80% of the above features. VU on the other hand was giving it to me for 47k (later I paid 2.5k additional for a EW of 2 more years). I felt that at this price if I were to get completely cheesed off with some future experience with VU all it will need me to do will be to get it back to working order and sell it off. A quick OLX search revealed that 55 inches preowned 4k TVs with some jhingbang at 30,000 has far too many takers which will be a decent resell price for me as well. I probably will not have the heart to sell a costlier TV (say something that I bought for 1L+) for 30k.

Till date I think the VU has worked out fine for me.

However, in case you want to know the cons then here are a few things that I noted.

- First of all the screen is 8 bit and not 10 bit. So the HDR support is not HDR-10 (doesn't make any perceptible difference though)

- Like any other big screen it may show some halo in some parts of the screen (backlight bleeding) when the screen is absolutely bright with no content. However you will not see it otherwise. I have seen this in both my LG as well Samsung and so am not bothered much

- The speakers are a bit too boomy for my liking which in turn leads to difficulty at times in comprehending speech. Nothing though that can't be fixed with a decent soundbar or any other external output of your choice

- The deeper menu options could have been far more intuitive than what they are. Also, the setting changes do not change the pic settings on the fly. You need to save first to see the effect and then again start adjusting

- Lastly, if you are comfortable with branch based banking, service center based support etc. the VU model of service may be a little disconcerting and need some mental adjustment because in the VU model of business everything is coordinated by the company directly from their Mumbai office. This starts right from the moment the TV is sold to you by the online channel partner (Flipkart in my case). Just like any regular dealership they update the data in VU's database. Next time you call VU they can fetch all your details on the fly from their systems. While this does not sound like a greatly scalable model the flipside of this should be a tighter control on the A.S.S. and better care. However, only time will tell

Otherwise, as of today, I am not only satisfied but I also keep wondering what kind of margins do the big brands keep while fixing up their MRP! Some indications we saw recently when after Samsung suddenly dropped their TV prices for 2 consecutive months to take on the onslaught from the online brigade. Some of their TVs have gone down by as much as 30% in just 2 months.

Last edited by Zappo : 21st September 2018 at 14:25.
Old 24th September 2018, 23:38   #8724
BHPian

Hi Guys,
In a bit of a quandary.
My Samsung Plasma TV (43 inch) screen is on the way out. Replacement will cost approx Rs. 23,500.00 with a 1 year warranty on the screen alone. The TV is 7 years old and has given me good service to date.
My question is : Should I replace the screen or buy a new TV. A new Samsung will cost at least 50k. I have been told that "VU" and "TCL" are good budget TV's but after reading reviews about their performance and A.S.S. on Amazon, I am a bit hesitant to go in for these brands. I do watch a lot of TV and enjoy a sharp, colourful picture with good sound.
What would the experts here recommend? The Samsung guy who came to inspect my TV said repairing it would be a total waste of money.
Your opinions please.

N.B. : I have been using the Samsung on an Inverter as we have frequent power failures in Goa. Is it possible that an Inverter could damage a TV set?

Regards,
SS
Old 25th September 2018, 06:36   #8725
BHPian

Concur with the technician. No point spending Rs 23,500 to repair a 7 year old Plasma TV unless there are sentimental reasons to get it fixed.

A generic search on Amazon threw up Samsung 43 inch LED tv at 34k.
Samsung 43in LED TV

I have no experience with TCL or Vu so will not comment.

Now
With regard to VU, here is something it has launched this month.
Vu 100-inch 4K TV priced at 20 lakhs
Old 25th September 2018, 10:12   #8726
BHPian

What component has been damaged. Sometimes it is better to get a second opinion from an experienced third party repairman.
I love the picture quality of my 51inch Samsung Plasma and would actually get it repaired if the genuineness of the repair can be ascertained.
My 40 inch VU is ok for watching normal TV, but I watch all movies and sports on my Plasma as the picture quality is definitely lot different.
Old 25th September 2018, 13:33   #8727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
What component has been damaged. Sometimes it is better to get a second opinion from an experienced third party repairman.
I love the picture quality of my 51inch Samsung Plasma and would actually get it repaired if the genuineness of the repair can be ascertained.
My 40 inch VU is ok for watching normal TV, but I watch all movies and sports on my Plasma as the picture quality is definitely lot different.
It's a pity that manufacturers at least in India have stopped making Plasmas any more
. Switch off the lights and see the plasma magic. Even now for a 5 years old Samsung 51 inch plasma the picture quality is top notch and comparable to 1080 p of Oled and Uhd TV. Watching national geographic or animal planet or blue ray is pure bliss
Old 25th September 2018, 15:47   #8728
BHPian

I want to buy a 32 inch LED Full HD Smart TV. Sony (KLV-32W672F) and Samsung (32M5570) are the 2 top contenders being priced at around 30-35K. The Sony's display panel has a 50Hz refresh rate against Samsung's 60Hz which could be a disadvantage for the Sony when playing 60fps videos or gaming. The Sony does have a better sound setup though with an integrated subwoofer. Any advice on this from the experts?
Old 25th September 2018, 17:51   #8729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post
I want to buy a 32 inch LED Full HD Smart TV. Sony (KLV-32W672F) and Samsung (32M5570) are the 2 top contenders being priced at around 30-35K. The Sony's display panel has a 50Hz refresh rate against Samsung's 60Hz which could be a disadvantage for the Sony when playing 60fps videos or gaming. The Sony does have a better sound setup though with an integrated subwoofer. Any advice on this from the experts?
A TV will never be good enough for gaming so it is a moot point in my opinion, at least on that front, to make a choice.
Old 25th September 2018, 22:10   #8730
BHPian

I feel 2018 has been a step down from 2017 for mid-range quality LED TVs. Every one of the manufacturers i zeroed-in during my search i went asking for 2017 models instead of currently running 2018 models - Sony's E-series way better than F-series, Vu 2017 HDR better than 2018 androids, Samsung 2017 series better than 2018 NUxxx. Felt wierd to be begging for 2017 sets in most of the showrooms. 2018 is all about OLEDs, QLEDs and dirt cheap garbage.

Last edited by WindRide : 25th September 2018 at 22:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks