Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2008, 10:39   #886
BHPian

I got an irresistable offer on LG, so finally bought a 32" (for 40K).
I felt that LG has more natural skin tones compared to Sony which always have a slight pink tinge (although it might be possible to correct by varying the picture settings). Also, LG has better specs on paper.
Now another question: Do you suggest using a voltage stabiliser, taking into account 2 power cuts every day (here in Navi Mumbai) which would surely be exposing all electronic appliances to nasty surges & spikes? If yes, which one to go for ...V-guard has one electronic model also, how good is it?
Old 29th March 2008, 12:25   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Now another question: Do you suggest using a voltage stabiliser, taking into account 2 power cuts every day (here in Navi Mumbai) which would surely be exposing all electronic appliances to nasty surges & spikes? If yes, which one to go for ...V-guard has one electronic model also, how good is it?
For sophisticated electronics, I would suggest to go for a good home UPS instead of a voltage stabilizer. VS is not very useful in case of frequent power interruptions. You can go for a battery which gives approximately 15 mins of backup power; enough time to shut down your electronics.
Old 29th March 2008, 12:42   #888
BHPian

Thanks appuchan,
I already have a Pure Sinewave Invertor (with UPS mode), but still during switching upon power failures & resumes, there would be some spikes and surges because of mechanical relays in the invertor output circuit. Hence, exploring the option of VS.
Old 29th March 2008, 21:57   #889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakarp View Post
Yes,got this price thru an insider in Panasonic.

If your are going to use composite cable anytime, then comb filter is a must, minimum look for 3D-Combo.

Good luck and let me know your selection
Lucky guy. But anyway now my mind is turning towards LG. Let's see what I decide at the last moment.
BTW, composite will be used only to watch TV, for DVD's it'll be either component or HDMI.Can you tell me what's a comb filter ?
Old 30th March 2008, 15:01   #890

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Lucky guy. But anyway now my mind is turning towards LG. Let's see what I decide at the last moment.
BTW, composite will be used only to watch TV, for DVD's it'll be either component or HDMI.Can you tell me what's a comb filter ?
Hi, When you are using composite cable the video source send both the color(chrominance) and brightness(luminance) parts of the video signal as a single, combined signal.Inside the TV the comb filter separates these signals into their component parts. If signals aren't properly separated you see moving dots of color around the edges of images called "dot crawl".

There are 3 types of comb filters in market;

1) 2-D comb filter - least effective and least expensive
2) 3-D com filter - better than 2-D,less than digital comb.
3) Digital comb filter(3-D Y/C) - King of the hill, found only in expensive TVs.

When you are using S-Video,Component,HDMI cables the chrominance&luminance are separated in the source not in the TV.In this case the build in comb filter is bypassed.

Old 31st March 2008, 00:08   #891
Senior - BHPian

Hey, When I checked the specs of the LG it shows that it has digital 3-D comb filter and philips have 3D comb filter. There also LG scores point.
BTW, I was checking 32 inch review in What Hi-Fi magazine and they seem to recommend Panasonic but I won't be able to get Pana for my budget. They rated both LG and Philips high but I think LG scored lil' bit more.
Regards,
Kaushik
Old 31st March 2008, 08:17   #892
BHPian

Just found that 37 inch lcd is dropped from sony list. It also not available with any sony delear in pune.

37 inc was around 65k and the only next option is 40 inch which is 79k after price drop of 10k.

The resolution of both the TV's is was same.

BAD for customers!
Old 31st March 2008, 09:56   #893
BHPian

True, 37" LCDs are becoming hard to find...and their cost per inch is higher than 32" and 40-42" models.
In the latest issue of What hifi magazine, they have published a group test of 32" LCDs, with Sony being #1 (price mentioned as Rs.55K) and LG only a little behind (with price as 40K). Hence, LG seems to be much better value for money. But I was unable to find any of the model nos. reviewed there, and googling for those models threw all UK based sites. Means they have simply CCPed from the parent UK publication and converted the prices into rupees.
Anyway, although I was little bent towards sony initially, but found LG to be equally good in side by side comparisions (with LG displaying more natural skin tones while sony's was pinkish) and they all suffered same amount of motion jitter. And considering the huge price difference between the two, I opted for LG and am quite happy with the decision. Now I'm spending, whatever I saved, on buying good interconnects, wall-mountable audio rack etc.
Old 31st March 2008, 10:18   #894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Just found that 37 inch lcd is dropped from sony list. It also not available with any sony delear in pune.

37 inc was around 65k and the only next option is 40 inch which is 79k after price drop of 10k.

The resolution of both the TV's is was same.

BAD for customers!
Are you sure? The Sony website mentions that the 40" S series is for 69k.
Old 31st March 2008, 11:28   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
In the latest issue of What hifi magazine, they have published a group test of 32" LCDs, with Sony being #1 (price mentioned as Rs.55K) and LG only a little behind (with price as 40K). Hence, LG seems to be much better value for money. But I was unable to find any of the model nos. reviewed there, and googling for those models threw all UK based sites. Means they have simply CCPed from the parent UK publication and converted the prices into rupees.
Yeah, the equivalent LG model is the 32LB9 in India but there is one difference, the model that they've tested have 3 HDMI input whereas the Indian LG site mentioned that it has 2 HDMI. Otherwise the things remain same.Even me is now thinking about LG 32LB9 then Philips 7762 and there is a quite handsome price difference too.
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:30   #896
BANNED

sony or panasonic at 33000 for 32 inch ??? im in crisis
Old 2nd April 2008, 21:27   #897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
sony or panasonic at 33000 for 32 inch ??? im in crisis
You're getting a 32" Sony for 33,000? Thats a great deal buddy. Im assuming this is a grey import though.

Personally I am a big Sony fan and have been using their products since I was a kid with no complaints. They have an excellent service network in India and IMO thier quality is worth the little extra you pay for the brand. I know a lot of people would rather go for a slightly cheaper brand but Id never touch anything thats not Sony, especially in something that Sony is established in such as manufacturing televisions.
Old 2nd April 2008, 23:23   #898
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
You're getting a 32" Sony for 33,000? Thats a great deal buddy. Im assuming this is a grey import though.

Personally I am a big Sony fan and have been using their products since I was a kid with no complaints. They have an excellent service network in India and IMO thier quality is worth the little extra you pay for the brand. I know a lot of people would rather go for a slightly cheaper brand but Id never touch anything thats not Sony, especially in something that Sony is established in such as manufacturing televisions.
see its like 35000 for sony s series how good is it ? giving up old tv so few bucks down. let me know asap please thanks a lot also how good is the panasonics viera lx75
Old 3rd April 2008, 00:51   #899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Having owned Sony, both TV and music systems, I don't really think that atleast Sony TV's doesn't worth that premium that they ask for.I found them very much user unfriendly. Can you just believe that that TV don't have a option of swapping channels(OK, nowadays with Tata Sky that is not so important in current scenario, but still).In many more cases I found my other TV which is a Philips is better. I'm just not convinced that I'll put any more money on Sony just for the sake of the brand-name. I'm not denying that they have good picture quality but others also have the same quality of picture I believe. May be they have moved on now, but I don't want to take another risk by trusting on Sony any more.
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:08   #900

Opinion of the LG 42PC5R Plasma

let me know of your opinions on the LG 42 inch plasma. Its being offered in Hyderabad at approx 59k.

Thanks

Most Viewed