Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2019, 08:55   #9076
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Will any LED TV bought in the USA work in India? I know it may need a voltage converter but do we need a PAL converter as well?

Any first hand experiences?
You'll have to pay 42% Duty+GST when you get the TV in. Not worth it IMHO.

Also most set top boxes won't work with it. Other sources should be fine. Most TVs these days are auto-ranging and use an smps inside so voltage should not matter.
Old 10th September 2019, 12:47   #9077
BHPian

Quote:
Will any LED TV bought in the USA work in India? I know it may need a voltage converter but do we need a PAL converter as well?
Works perfectly and LG is dual voltage and so is Sony. I got one last year in a Sale for 350$ and paid 7000 INR as duty. No converters needed except for the plug point to support US pin.
Old 10th September 2019, 14:44   #9078
BHPian

Quote:

Any first hand experiences?
Yes, it should.
I carried my 2015 Samsung 48" FHD LED Smart TV when I traveled back to India. I use a Voltage stabilizer cum converter bought from Amazon. Tata Sky HD connection.
Old 10th September 2019, 19:02   #9079
BHPian

Thanks everyone. Do you think a Vizio LED TV (65 inch) will work?

By the way, I checked some LG TVs and it shows only the 110V compatibility. Didn't see any that said 110-220V.

I don't mind having to get a 220v-110v converter. I just want to make sure my DTH set top box works with my TV.
Old 11th September 2019, 00:24   #9080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Why don't you get a charger for rechargeable batteries? They can charge up to four batteries either aa or aaa simultaneously. I am sure that would be a far more easy and more efficient way to recharge batteries.
Also I think for low discharge applications, normal batteries are a better option than rechargeable batteries. You may opt for alkaline batteries like Duracell etc. As someone else suggested.
Hi Neeraj,

So, after a bit of a search, I have found my 10 year old (German made) battery charger. It can charge AAA, AA, Torch batteries (the large thick ones) and also the rectangular 9V batteries as well. Appears to be in excellent condition and working fine.
However, it says on the top that it is a Ni-Cd Battery charger. The one set of AA batteries I charged up were old Ni-Cd AA batteries. Worked fine.
My question is : Can I use this charger for Ni-Mh batteries as well? I am not sure if they require lesser (or greater) power input or..?? Power output on this "Universal Charger" is 1.2V max 120mA.

Regards,
SS
Old 17th September 2019, 19:08   #9081
BHPian

Quote:
The Mi TV 4X (65-inch) is priced at a competitive Rs 54,999. The Mi TV 4X (50-inch) is priced at Rs 29,999, Mi TV 4X (43-inch) is priced at Rs 24,999 and Mi TV 4A (40-inch) is priced at Rs 17,999. All these will be available on 29 September on Flipkart.
Source

Xiaomi just launched a 65 inch TV along with many other products - Band, Water Purifier, Sound bar and Motion activated light. The 55k price seems an introductory price.

The UI of the TV is also supposedly modified and now ships with Android P.

Last edited by emkay.india : 17th September 2019 at 19:09. Reason: Added info about pricing
Old 18th September 2019, 13:27   #9082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post

Can I use this charger for Ni-Mh batteries as well? I am not sure if they require lesser (or greater) power input or..?? Power output on this "Universal Charger" is 1.2V max 120mA.

Regards,
SS
No, you cannot. NiMH batteries use different charging voltage and current. If the charger cannot recognize the batteries as NiMH and charges them in NiCd way then it will damage the NiMH batteries. Get a NiMH supported charger.
Old 18th September 2019, 16:37   #9083
BHPian

Hi guys,

Request your feedback regarding the recently announced Motorola TV

Comes with Andriod Pie, native support for Nitflix, Amazon Prime, bundled game controller and an inbuilt Sound Bar.

Seems decent VFM at 40k for 55" version.

Last edited by vikash49 : 18th September 2019 at 16:39.
Old 25th September 2019, 22:50   #9084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
No, you cannot. NiMH batteries use different charging voltage and current. If the charger cannot recognize the batteries as NiMH and charges them in NiCd way then it will damage the NiMH batteries. Get a NiMH supported charger.
Hi Sagar,
That's what I was worried about. Thanks for your input.
Cheers,
SS
Old 27th September 2019, 02:29   #9085
Senior - BHPian

Greetings Guys,

I've recently got the LG OLED55C8PTA from Unilet, Bangalore. The first time dealer had delivered a display/demo unit to me and upon request he replaced it with another unit now. I could see the usage hours on the previously delivered unit. The new unit he has sent me showed 0 hours on usage. The LG service person came for the installation confirmed that it is new unit, he showed me the service menu to show the 0 hours on UTT.
However, I'd lost the trust in the dealer, are there any ways I can verify looking at the service menu that can tell me if this unit has been used earlier as a demo or display purpose in the store? I can try and use the android app to get into the service menu.

Some of these makes me uncomfortable
- Mfg date of the unit is Feb 2019
- After the first episode (sent me the display unit), no trust in the dealer
- the UTT displayed as 0 hours on service menu, I strongly feel that they got someone or service remote to reset it before delivery

Some of these things I'm trying to convince myself with
- The physical appearance is as good as an unboxed one, no dust particles, in fact, the wear from packing material stuck to cabinet looked like it was packed for long time
- Don't see any app added other than the ones come with the WebOS, previous unit had YouTube and also some history when used to test the greyscale/RGB
- UTT displayed 0, comp cycles displayed 0/0 in the service menu but this is I fee can easily be reset by dealer
- The software version was 4.10.55, I'm assuming it was released around April first week in the US (not sure about India though) so that means it may not have run since then or may be it was run but someone decided not to update s/w version - I'm looking at s/w version with the assumption that this is something that may not get reset to older one after the service menu reset - does anyone know if this gets reset after you do a factory reset from user interface itself? not sure, need to check

Another question if someone can help me with,,
1> I can access the service menu using the phone app, is there anything, literally anything in the service menu that can tell me about the usage of the TV, Panel etc!!! If anyone has known this!!
2> If I decide to keep this unit, does the extended warranty become must from LG? 1, 2 or 3 years? each year after the default 2 years warranty will cost ~18K INR by LG, which is onsite part replacement warranty.
Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if the 55" come with the front protective film? I did not see front or back protective film in the display unit that dealer sent me earlier. However, I do see a thin protective film on back of the panel on this replacement that he sent me now.

Does anyone know if I reset the panel using in-stop command, does that mean it wipes out lot of configuration values that panel comes with by default? does that mean I may need to get the LG service engineer to reconfigure some of those panel settings that I may have lost by performing in-stop on the service menu (that resets the UTT and comp cycle counters)?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th September 2019 at 06:58. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 27th September 2019, 06:52   #9086
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

I think you are getting paranoid.

Enjoy your new TV. If it looks new, performs like new and the hours says its new thats it.

Buy extended warranty ( I recommend everyone to get EW on their Tv's) and relax.

If it is still making you lose your sleep, see if the dealer takes it back. Buy a different brand from somewhere else.
Old 30th September 2019, 13:48   #9087
BHPian

I am looking to buy a new smart tv to replace our current LCD tv. After browsing through this thread, I am still confused about which one to buy.

I require a 43/50 inch smart tv. I am assuming most come with 4k display and Full HD. The current favorites are LG and Samsung although we are not averse to buying MI and Vu given the good value for money reviews.

Another thing which I want to ask is whether it is good to buy online or go to the shop/showroom and buy from there ? Old folks at home are recommending going to the shop since I have never bought any home appliance online.
Old 30th September 2019, 13:54   #9088
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Another thing which I want to ask is whether it is good to buy online or go to the shop/showroom and buy from there ? Old folks at home are recommending going to the shop since I have never bought any home appliance online.
I am in the process of purchasing one as well. Spent the weekend visiting different stores in Delhi. To my surprise, the deals offered there were almost similar to the ones offered online. But the extended warranty options in the store were much better. So do checkout the stores once before you buy.

MI - I also wanted to purchase this but it carries a max warranty of 1+1 years. The other brands (via retail outlets) offer upto 4-5 years of comprehensive.
Old 30th September 2019, 23:08   #9089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
It may surprise many but retail shops offer 5 to 10% lower rates than online. And Samsung has forbidden all of its online dealers to offer discount but retail stores can offer discounts from their own margins resulting in 10% lesser prices. Bought Samsung A70 for 26.5k whereas even today online prices of it are 29k!
Old 1st October 2019, 03:03   #9090
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I think you are getting paranoid.

Enjoy your new TV. If it looks new, performs like new and the hours says its new thats it.

Buy extended warranty ( I recommend everyone to get EW on their Tv's) and relax.

If it is still making you lose your sleep, see if the dealer takes it back. Buy a different brand from somewhere else.
I think you're right. Enjoying this tv is best I can do now. I'm going to go for the extended warranty from the LG directly, I guess they have some discount if bought within a month of purchase, but even that also comes close to ~17k a year for my TV. I shall contact the LG guys I was in touch and find out best option in terms of warranty and go for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks