Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2020, 19:52   #9526
Oxy
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Does anyone have any idea on the Hisense line of TV's. As far as I have read (I have literally started looking at TV's after almost a decade so might have missed something) they were introduced through Amazon this year.

However, I don't see any of their popular models on Amazon. I am interested in their 2019 H9F (which seems to have got great reviews of punching way above its price range) and 2020 H9G.
I just came to know that Hisense acquired Toshiba's television business a couple of years ago, and this TV pretty much looks like a replica of the H9G (minus the android OS).

https://toshibatv-in.com/65-ultimate-4k-quantum-dot-tv/

I suggest you wait for it.

Last edited by Oxy : 21st August 2020 at 19:55.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 20:24   #9527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I just came to know that Hisense acquired Toshiba's television business a couple of years ago, and this TV pretty much looks like a replica of the H9G (minus the android OS).

https://toshibatv-in.com/65-ultimate-4k-quantum-dot-tv/

I suggest you wait for it.
Its not this years "G" model but last years "F" but this being sold in India for all we know it could very well have a ips panel inside.
Old 26th August 2020, 01:42   #9528
BHPian

Folks,
My LG 43 inch LED-backlit LCD TV, bought in 2014, is probably going to give up soon. There are many horizontal lines, color switching between green and yellow when seen on a white background. The LG support personnel quoted 24k INR to fix this. This will come with a year warranty. I'm going to check with UrbanClap once if they can fix this within 5k. If not, it may be time to invest in a new one.

Let me try to note down how this will be used and see what would be a good option based on the user reviews

Usage
This is going to be the only TV and will be used for 4-8 hours a day, longer on weekends.
Mostly used for news and TV serials thru a Tata Sky set-top box.
OTT services as Netflix and Amazon Prime for series and movies
Sony Liv and Hotstar for sports - Football, F1, Tennis, etc.
For OTT services, Amazon Fire Stick 4k is being used.

Size and Resolution
Viewing distance is about 10ft. So, I would prefer a 65-inch minimum.
Must be 4K.

Budget
I can spend up to 2L - 2.5L INR including extended warranty. However the lower the bill, the better

Others points
1. I would prefer to have something reliable. The current LG model might just give up in 6 years. And I would want something to last longer. For that, I am OK to spend a little more

2. I would prefer this to have HDR support, not just HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG too. This is just a little bit of future-proofing

3. Also, since I want something to last, I am not sure if an OLED is a good choice. Although the picture quality and contrast ratio are unmatched. I have read a lot about the burn-in issues of OLED panels. Since my family is going to consume a lot of news and tv serials- I assume there will be a lot of static content.
Keeping all of them mind, I have shortlisted the following options (prices without the extended warranty)
  • LG 65C9 - 2.1L INR. Max warranty is probably 5 years
  • Sony X9500G - about 1.6L INR. Max warranty is probably 3 years
  • Samsung Q80 ~ 2.1L INR. Max warranty is probably 5 years
And I am a little biased towards Sony here. However, I have no brand preference. I want good picture quality and reliability, that's all. So, if there are better options out there, please let me know.

3. The sound output of the TV is not important. It will be connected to an external soundbar

4. A Smart TV is not exactly required since the Firestick can help with the smartness

5. I don't game much on the TV

6. I would like to avoid unreliable brands. I am not sure how good the VU, Nokia, Motorola brigade are in terms of TVs

Thank you for your responses and recommendations! Please let me know if you have any queries for me.
Old 26th August 2020, 04:42   #9529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Folks,
My LG 43 inch LED-backlit LCD TV, bought in 2014, is probably going to give up soon. There are many horizontal lines, color switching between green and yellow when seen on a white background. The LG support personnel quoted 24k INR to fix this. This will come with a year warranty. I'm going to check with UrbanClap once if they can fix this within 5k. If not, it may be time to invest in a new one.
Try them out in person. See what you like. Try to watch the content you would watch at home rather than the 4k demo videos. Will give you a fairer idea.

I prefer Sony due to better PQ and motion handling which is important to me (especially for sports).

Another point to note, which I noticed with the new TV's, since these are 4k TV's they upscale the DTH content which does not look very pleasing to the eye. So be sure to check that in person. I didn't like the upscaling on the LCD's for example. Within the OLED's I found the A8G to be better than the C9.

Also the prices you have are the online prices. Go to a local showroom, you will get them for much cheaper.

x9500g is selling for 1.45 while the C9 is available for 1.85.

If you can increase your budget, the A9G is the absolute best available, and would be around 2.7. Alternatively, you could get the A8G as well around 2-2.2.
omar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 07:35   #9530
Distinguished - BHPian

A rising sun has suddenly appeared on our ~6 year old LG 43" LED TV. Any thoughts please? Hope it's not a terminal panel replacement issue.

Need to dig out my warranty documents.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20200826_073203.jpg  

Old 26th August 2020, 10:20   #9531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
A rising sun has suddenly appeared on our ~6 year old LG 43" LED TV. Any thoughts please? Hope it's not a terminal panel replacement issue.
Let me assure you, it is not a terminal issue.

I had faced the same on my LG LED TV a couple of years back. It had started from one white spot on the screen to around 10-12 within a month. I had extended warranty and the LG technician had fixed it in a couple of hours at my place.

If the TV is in warranty, please give LG a call.
7000plusrpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 10:57   #9532
BHPian

Quote:
...This is going to be the only TV and will be used for 4-8 hours a day, longer on weekends...
...I would prefer to have something reliable....
Sony X9500G - about 1.6L INR. Max warranty is probably 3 years
If budget is not a concern, go for Sony without second thoughts. PQ is fantastic. For a 65" TV you'll have to shell out additional 35K for +2 years of official Sony warranty. Around 30k (negotiable) from Reliance Digital for +4 years.
No point spending more than what is required for Sony.
PS: Why not check out Sony KD-65X8000G, which is around 100K?
ValarMorghulis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 11:46   #9533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
I think Croma has replacement policy, if the product failed with in 10 or 15 days of purchase. You can ask them to give replacement.
Hope the issue was resolved?
Old 26th August 2020, 12:23   #9534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
If budget is not a concern, go for Sony without second thoughts. PQ is fantastic. For a 65" TV you'll have to shell out additional 35K for +2 years of official Sony warranty. Around 30k (negotiable) from Reliance Digital for +4 years.
No point spending more than what is required for Sony.
This is the ultimate OLED and LCD dilemma. The Sony model is an LCD, LED-backlit. LG is OLED. Hence the confusion.

Quote:
PS: Why not check out Sony KD-65X8000G, which is around 100K?
I thought that the 950 series (G or the recent H) will have better upscaling to HD and better HDR due to the better config.

Any idea how the MI 65inch TV is? There are hardly any reviews from any trustworthy source and all I know is that it has a 10-bit panel, that's all. Can anyone comment on this one please, thanks! Not sure about the support going forward from the brand in light of recent developments though!
Old 26th August 2020, 13:00   #9535
BHPian

Quote:
I thought that the 950 series (G or the recent H) will have better upscaling to HD and better HDR due to the better config.
If you have the budget to go for a X9500G, then go for it eyes closed. I have the X8500 and let me tell you, Full Array local dimming in the X90 and above series TVs makes a big difference. If you can wait a few months, Sony may launch the newer X9000H, but you may not get any discounts as it would be a newer model.

I would also suggest reading the reviews for the TVs on Rtings.com to get a much better idea of the differences between each TV.
Old 26th August 2020, 13:23   #9536
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
This is the ultimate OLED and LCD dilemma. The Sony model is an LCD, LED-backlit. LG is OLED. Hence the confusion.
What is the room like where the TV is going to be installed? OLED panels are pretty much allergic to any kind of external light from what I have read, hence are best suited for dark rooms. My living room for example get very bright during the day, so my use case is not ideal for an OLED.

One word of advice if you want to explore Sony OLEDs - please avoid the A8G. It has a very dated processor under the hood which won't even support the next Android version, so you will most likely end up with a lagging lemon in no time. Either wait for the A8H, or pick the A9G.

LG C9 is good, though I would suggest look for an E9 as it comes with a front glass design and a front facing soundbar. Both are really good sets.

You won't go wrong with an X9500G, it's last year's flagship LED. So you can trust it eyes closed. Don't think about Mi and all. Nothing beats a Sony when it comes to picture quality. This year's X9500H is not much different except increased RAM and internal storage capacity so I think the X9500G will do just fine if you decide to pick a non OLED.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 16:09   #9537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
If you can wait a few months, Sony may launch the newer X9000H, but you may not get any discounts as it would be a newer model.
Talking abt X9000H, Sony has launched this set in 2 sizes; 55 and 65 inches at 1.1L and 1.6L respectively. Prices are not the usual Sony style, and seem almost reasonable.

You can check the details here.
Old 26th August 2020, 22:26   #9538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
One word of advice if you want to explore Sony OLEDs - please avoid the A8G. It has a very dated processor under the hood which won't even support the next Android version, so you will most likely end up with a lagging lemon in no time. Either wait for the A8H, or pick the A9G.

LG C9 is good, though I would suggest look for an E9 as it comes with a front glass design and a front facing soundbar. Both are really good sets.
It's funny how specs are quoted as the be all end all, along with the assumption of new means better.

Even with an older processor, the A8G has better PQ than the C9. Motion and upscaling is also better on the Sony.

What works for the C9 is the brightness, UI, HDMI 2.1 and price.

As you can see, there are different things which may appeal to different people. Quoting specs in isolation is not enough.

The x9500g is considered the holy grail of LCD's, however it did not impress me, again. It's upscaling is abysmal and blacks are not as good as I would want. However for someone looking for a FALD TV, who only watches OTT high res content, and is concerned about burn in, it is the best TV out there.

Ultimately what should decide a TV purchase is the picture quality within the budget. It's a TV after all, not a mobile phone. The 2020 firmware will obviously be installable on the latest TV's. However even 2 years later, would the 2020 TV's be considered obsolete without firmware support? I wouldn't think so.
Old 26th August 2020, 23:42   #9539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
It's funny how specs are quoted as the be all end all, along with the assumption of new means better.

Even with an older processor, the A8G has better PQ than the C9. Motion and upscaling is also better on the Sony.

What works for the C9 is the brightness, UI, HDMI 2.1 and price.

As you can see, there are different things which may appeal to different people. Quoting specs in isolation is not enough.

The x9500g is considered the holy grail of LCD's, however it did not impress me, again. It's upscaling is abysmal and blacks are not as good as I would want. However for someone looking for a FALD TV, who only watches OTT high res content, and is concerned about burn in, it is the best TV out there.

Ultimately what should decide a TV purchase is the picture quality within the budget. It's a TV after all, not a mobile phone. The 2020 firmware will obviously be installable on the latest TV's. However even 2 years later, would the 2020 TV's be considered obsolete without firmware support? I wouldn't think so.
The new line of LG and Sony OLEDs have been launched. The nomenclature X added to LG OLED and I believe A8H and A9H for the Sony models

As far as comparison between LG C9 and A8G is concerned C9 has been rated better in almost every review even though the difference is negligible.

Between CX and A8H the PQ of Sony is rated slightly better for PQ but still overall rating for CX is better

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...ny-a8g/802/846
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...8h/10619/12801

In 2019 C9 was rated the best TV of the year. Does it mean it was the absolute best. No LGs own cousins from E and G series were better but the price dint justify the incremental improvements. Same with Sony A9G.

Lets not get into the debate of which is better as each reviewer will have a slightly different view point. Both LG C series and Sony A series OLEDs are pretty much neck to neck with each punching the other in some area or the other. You cant go wrong with either one of them.

But LG punches where it matters the most and that is the cost. Sony is costlier by quite a bit and the cost difference is just not justified in anyway.

I picked up a 55 inch LG C9 for 1.15 L few months. Beat that. You cant pick up a Sony OLED for that price anywhere.

Irrespective of the brand you wont find anything better than OLEDs in the market today. Plasma may have challenged but we never got any 4K plasma TVs. Even Samsung QLEDs are no match to OLEDs especially in dark environments. Brightness (and hence more suitable in lighted environments) and no risk of burn-ins are the advantages of QLEDs. But PQ on OLEDs continues to be better due to absolute black levels which QLEDs can never match.

Samsung not supporting Dolby Vision is a bit of downer as most new Netflix content are in Dolby Vision format. Amazon supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vsision. Big production houses too are bringing content in Dolby Vision. LG and Sony both support Dolby and HDR10 formats but Samsung doesn't.

Sony X9XXX series continues to be the best non OLED/QLED TV in the market. Nothing else comes close as it uses a VA panel. Most of the manufactures use IPS panels which is no match to VA panels as far as PQ is concerned. But as with every other Sony its priced way close to OLED territory even though the PQ is still no match to OLEDs. In isolation one may not be able to figure out the PQ differences. Fortunately for me LG C9 and Sony X95XX TVs were installed side by side. Its a no brainer once you start comparing the prices. The price difference was around 20 K.
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 00:16   #9540
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Let me try to note down how this will be used and see what would be a good option based on the user reviews

• LG 65C9 - 2.1L INR. Max warranty is probably 5 years
  • Sony X9500G - about 1.6L INR. Max warranty is probably 3 years
  • Samsung Q80 ~ 2.1L INR. Max warranty is probably 5 years

Thank you for your responses and recommendations! Please let me know if you have any queries for me.
I recently bought a LG C9 after a lot of deliberations and even though there was a a bit of guilt post purchase if such an expenditure was really necessary. But having been used to Plasma TV since 2012 I was never satisfied with a LED TV. Once you get used to high contrast ratio TVs your eyes pick out such differences. Nothing else satisfied me other than OLEDs.

Few points you may need to consider
  • Your usage pattern has a high risk of burn in. Please read about burn in before you make a decision. LEDs do not have any risk of burn-ins. Thats the reason Samsung markets its QLEDs with 10 year burn-in warranty.
  • The warranty on OLEDs are insanely pricey. Just to give you a feel its around 40 K per year for LG C9 55 incher. The cost increases with increase in screen size. If I opt for a 3 year extended warranty I will be paying close to the price of the TV itself. There is a manufacturer warranty of 1 year and additional warranty of 1 year on panel only. So have decided to risk it.
  • I had 2 plasma TVs from Samsung earlier and I had bought 3 years additional warranty on both. The first TV had panel issues 2 months after warranty expired and the cost was more than 50% of the price I bought it for. Bought a LG LED which is doing fine for last 4 years. The cost was hardly 10-12 K more than what it would have costed me to fix the plasma. The second TV conked off after 6.5 years and I was willing to pay for it this time. The panel cost would still have been 40% of total cost with just a 6 month warranty. But Samsung was not even able to provide me a new panel as they are out of production now. Bought a LG OLED. In both cases additional warranty was useless. Warranty cost was 30% of the price. I have never bought any additional warranty other than the TVs. But other than TVs every other electronics has either been exchanged or sold off. Most of my mobiles or refrigerators or washing machines have been exchanged. But all TVs have given up after the warranty period is over, Either they were not repairable or the fix was super costly. Hence I have decided not to buy any warranty further. In case anything goes wrong I will get it fixed if the price feels right or get a new one.
  • Sony and LG support all HDR formats. Samsung doesnt support Dolby Vision. There is more 4 K Dolby Vision content compared to HDR 10 content.
  • Of the 3 options that you have selected LG C9 is better than the other two. Samsung would be the 2nd choice if you are ok without Dobly Vision
  • Sony X95 is the best non OLED/QLED TV in market. Period
  • All new 4k TVs are smart TVs. High end ones support all OTT content and would render your Fire Stick useless.
  • You would get a Nokia or Motorola or Mi 65 inch 4k TV between 55 - 65 K. Depending on whether you are are casual user or someone who likes to watch movies with a theater set up will decide whether these TVs will work for you or not. Most of these TVs use IPS panels mostly from LG which are worst compared to a VA or QLED or OLED panel.
  • My viewing distance would be around 12-15 feet and a 55 inch seems more than enough. A 77 incher would have been perfect in my case . But the LG C9 65 inch would have been dearer by around 60 K and 77 incher almost double the price of a 55 incher. Depends on your apetite. If my TV lasts for 5 years I would be more than happy. Had I bought a 65 incher I would have wanted it to last at least 7 years. I really doubt if these new generation TVs will last anything more than 4-5 years.
  • Suggest you to check out LG B9/BX. Its 95% of LG C9/CX @ 15-20% lesser price

Just to add I am no fanboy and use products from Samsung (ACs, mobiles, TVs, smart watch), Sony and Panasonic(Cameras) , Nokia, MI and Motorola(mobiles, health bands), LG (most electronic home appliances). I did a lot of research recently on TVs and didn't really find anything more compelling in Sony OLEDs which justifies the price differential. I found that either one of them were equally good and would have satisfied me. The LG obviously satisfied me more as it justified its cost lot better. I saved a lot of money and used that to pick up a LG side by side refrigerator. Samsung was as well under consideration and was better value for money. But still picked up LG as the service back up of LG is way better than Samsung. Most Samsung that I have used have served well till they lasted but once anything went bad Samsung was never able to fix it to my satisfaction.

Last edited by nibedk : 27th August 2020 at 00:43. Reason: Addition and correction
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed