Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2020, 01:10   #9541
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

I recently bought -> https://www.hisense-india.com/television/43a71f/ from Amazon for about 26K.

https://www.amazon.in/Hisense-inches.../dp/B08BXXZ86T

43" / Dolby Vision / Dolby Atmos /Android 9.

Does support HDR10, but not HDR10+.

When Dolby Vision content is played from Netflix, it gives a splash screen stating DolbyVision in a corner for a few seconds.

The screen resolution is said to be 4k, and I really feel it is 4k. But on Youtube, 'Stats for Nerds' the 'viewport' gives a resolution of 1280*1920, but the 'current / optimal res' is 4k.

Overall, I am really happy with the price point and what the TV offers.
Old 27th August 2020, 06:45   #9542
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
I recently bought a LG C9 after a lot of deliberations and even though there was a a bit of guilt post purchase if such an expenditure was really necessary. But having been used to Plasma TV since 2012 I was never satisfied with a LED TV. Once you get used to high contrast ratio TVs your eyes pick out such differences. Nothing else satisfied me other than OLEDs.
Thank you for this elaborate post.

I am in the same dilemma. My current TV is a dated 720p, 8 year old 42 inch Panasonic plasma, but surprisingly it's PQ is pretty good on my Fire Stick 4k. It is still going strong so I am not in an immediate hurry to upgrade, but it could die anytime since I think it has reached the end of it's life cycle.

I am concerned that I will not be able to find any LED TV whose PQ I would be happy with, so I should be looking only at OLEDs. However, my living room is really bright and gets a lot of natural light, which does not justify buying an OLED. Or am I completely wrong about this?

Also, where do you get a 77 inch C9 for 2.3 lakhs? I would be very interested . Online prices seem to be more than 7 lakhs.
Old 27th August 2020, 11:13   #9543
BHPian

One of the LG brand stores called me today and informed me that the 65 inches B9 OLED, sealed pack are available for 1.65L. I think this is a very good price. The C9 is a tad lower than 2L right now.
Old 27th August 2020, 11:13   #9544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Thank you for this elaborate post.

I am in the same dilemma. My current TV is a dated 720p, 8 year old 42 inch Panasonic plasma, but surprisingly it's PQ is pretty good on my Fire Stick 4k. It is still going strong so I am not in an immediate hurry to upgrade, but it could die anytime since I think it has reached the end of it's life cycle.

I am concerned that I will not be able to find any LED TV whose PQ I would be happy with, so I should be looking only at OLEDs. However, my living room is really bright and gets a lot of natural light, which does not justify buying an OLED. Or am I completely wrong about this?

Also, where do you get a 77 inch C9 for 2.3 lakhs? I would be very interested . Online prices seem to be more than 7 lakhs.
My bad should have been a little more careful with my words. Yes 77 inchers was around 7 lacs + without bargain. Not sure how much more they would have come down. The final price for the C9 was lesser than that of the lowest online prices of LG B9. I am not sure how much lesser it will be for a 77 incher compared to the lowest price available online. Someone having serious money to splurge can surely get it for lot cheaper from retails stores.

I got the C9 close to 20% lesser than the lowest online prices. Just a pointer that if you show seriousness you can bargain a lot. Margins on high end TVs are quite a lot and the current lockdown too helped me to bargain better. I bought the TV in Jun when the lockdown was easing.
Old 27th August 2020, 11:28   #9545
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
One of the LG brand stores called me today and informed me that the 65 inches B9 OLED, sealed pack are available for 1.65L. I think this is a very good price. The C9 is a tad lower than 2L right now.
I think you should go for the C9, it would cost 15-20k more at the most.
Old 27th August 2020, 13:03   #9546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I think you should go for the C9, it would cost 15-20k more at the most.
I was checking the comparison between the C9 and B9 on Rtings. Apart from a slight difference in peak brightness, those are very similar.

However, I think what @nibedk had said is correct. For my use case, an LCD TV is better. I'll have to check them in-store before I come to any conclusion. Unless the OLEDs blow my mind off, I might just get the Sony X95G.
Old 27th August 2020, 14:37   #9547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
I was checking the comparison between the C9 and B9 on Rtings. Apart from a slight difference in peak brightness, those are very similar.

However, I think what @nibedk had said is correct. For my use case, an LCD TV is better. I'll have to check them in-store before I come to any conclusion. Unless the OLEDs blow my mind off, I might just get the Sony X95G.
You missed the processor. C9 has latest A9 processor and B9 has A7 processor. Where does it affect most is the up-scaling of non 4 K content. Someone who watches SD content will feel the difference. Sony processors are even better at up-scaling. The sound quality as well is better on C9. Someone using dedicated home theater set up will feel no difference though.
Overall PQ especially when watching high contrast content with lot of dark scenes is better on C9. Out of box calibration on C9 is better. But the differences are ever so minute its hardly noticeable.
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 20:52   #9548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
But on Youtube, 'Stats for Nerds' the 'viewport' gives a resolution of 1280*1920, but the 'current / optimal res' is 4k..
Take a close look. It might say 1280*1920*2 meaning 2 times 1080p which equals 4k.
Old 27th August 2020, 21:03   #9549
BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4868941 (The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.)

I got confirmation from Sony that they will be shipping a new replacement TV in couple of days. Several phone calls and email escalations finally resulting in a positive outcome.
Old 27th August 2020, 21:09   #9550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Take a close look. It might say 1280*1920*2 meaning 2 times 1080p which equals 4k.
Here are some pics ->

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-20200827_210519.jpg

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-20200827_210317.jpg

One for the dolby vision splash screen and the other showing 'viewport' which shows 1080.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 23:13   #9551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One for the dolby vision splash screen and the other showing 'viewport' which shows 1080.
So, I did some more tests, I connected my 4k firestick to an HDMI port, and in that, I cannot get youtube to go above 1080, I cannot even select that as a quality option. In Netflix, while earlier the title used to say "Ultra HD 4k", here is just said "HD" and there is a marked difference in the same video rendered by the TV app and the one via Firestick. The video from Netflix marked "UltraHD 4K" on the TV app felt more crisper, than the one from Firestick 4k, that was marked "HD".

One other titbit, Netflix on Firestick 4k said the title was 'DolbyVision' , but the TV did not give the 'DolbyVision' splash screen. The same title, from the TV app, gave a 'DolbyVision' splash screen.

Out of the 3 possible HDMI ports, the firestick 4k was connected to the port marked HDMI1.

So, the more I read about it, it was mentioned (in Sony TV forums) that the apps can be cateogrised as 'Apps' and 'Apps - Video' and only the apps categorised as 'Apps - Video' have access to 4k, and regular apps are sandboxed to run at full HD, what that means is, even though the TV can output 4k, the app is reporting that it can only do full HD.
Old 28th August 2020, 01:40   #9552
BHPian

Quote:
... even though the TV can output 4k, the app is reporting that it can only do full HD.
Sometime mid pandemic, i read that most streaming services were throttling content and reducing resolution to save internet bandwidth. Could it be due to that? I didnt check your initial post if you had mentioned this prior.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 05:20   #9553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
The new line of LG and Sony OLEDs have been launched. The nomenclature X added to LG OLED and I believe A8H and A9H for the Sony models
Precisely the reason why I said it has to be the TV has to be the perceived best within the price range. If the budget is 1.15 for a 55" OLED, one can go for the C9, if it is more, there are better models.

Rtings rate motion and upscaling the same in both TV's. I have seen both TV's side by side and can say the Sony is better, even for the PQ. In fact Sony's are known for their upscaling and motion, and are recommended over all brands. How can they be then rated the same on rtings?

The point is, no OLED (in India) is vastly superior or inferior to be dismissed. Each has pros and cons. It is upto the potential buyer to evaluate within his constraints and then make a decision with the one that suits him best.
Old 28th August 2020, 09:05   #9554
Senior - BHPian

So, I was able to finally test the resolution on netflix. The resolution started climbing from 720 to 1080 to 1440 and fianlly settled at 2160. So, the content is definitely 4k as I had suspected all along.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-20200828_071918.jpg
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 10:54   #9555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, I was able to finally test the resolution on netflix.
How did you enable stats on Netflix ?

Most Viewed