Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:26   #9736
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
LG has something called ClearVoice/ClearVoiceII which is supposed to enhance dialog clarity. I would say, give that a try before going down the path of connecting external speakers etc.
Tried that sir. It did have marginal impact on the voice clarity but I guess there is only so much a budget grade TV can do with its mediocre inbuilt speakers.

I was hoping to connect the speakers i had lying around to try and get sound to an acceptable level. I guess i will need spend more money to get a digital to analog converter.
Old 4th December 2020, 10:18   #9737
Senior - BHPian

So my friend has a TV with eARC and a soundbar with eARC as well and a honeywell 2.1HDMI cable.

He tried playing a movie with atmos from USB plugged into the TV but the soundbar only got a dolby digital + signal.

Anything he should be doing to get the atmos sound?
Old 4th December 2020, 20:00   #9738
BHPian

Booked TV on 20th Nov and still it's not delivered by Reliance Digital, thanks to Cyclone Nivar which damaged the products in warehouse(as per sales guy). Sent some escalation mails to RD customer care and they promptly responded with the details but still they're unable to provide the exact delivery date.

However, today the store guy called me and told that the X9000H model might be delivered after 12th Dec. The stocks are yet to start from Delhi as the delay caused by farmer's strike (Not sure how it relates).

He offered me the 950G model which is readily available in the warehouse (2020 model) and he can provide the same with better discount. This makes me get into the confusion again even after booked the X900H.
Please advise.

Last edited by Jebs : 4th December 2020 at 20:03. Reason: better formation
Old 5th December 2020, 12:20   #9739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
The native refresh rate of TVs is either 120Hz or 60Hz. The 100Hz is more of a marketing gimmick pushed by the manufacturer. The refresh rate of 120 Hz matters the most only if you are gaming but if you watch movies then it creates something called Soap-Opera effect. All the movies are shot in 24fps and that's what the filmmakers want you to experience as well.

In case, you are used to the higher refresh rate and aren't bothered about soap-opera effect then no need to break your head about refresh rate.

If you are buying a TV for gaming and movies, then go ahead with Sony 9000H that is the best value for money. But if you are not going to game at all, then go ahead and buy X9500G. It is one of the best TVs for movies around 1.10L. The extra price over 9000H is justified if you plan to hold the TV for more 5+years.

If 9500G is not available then go for 9000H. It is a value for money product.!

Thanks for the information, this is really useful.

I don't do gaming at all. So, I think I can live with 60 Hz refresh rate TV and save some money.

In that case, I can either go for a Sony X7500H for 65-70K or something similar from Samsung.
OR, I can go for budget TVs which are offering the same features or better at 40K. Example - Hisense, TCL , VU, MI etc.
Is there any advantage to go for a Sony or Samsung TV which are 50% costlier but providing the same features? I am not too happy with the reliability or after-sales support of Samsung anyways. Also, everyone is offering the standard 1 year warranty. (TCL is offering 1.5 years). So, why should I spend more?
Another option is go for the QLED TV from TCL at 55K, which is still 10-15K cheaper than the normal 4K TVs from Sony/Samsung.

Anyone has experience with the budget TVs? I am thinking to buy the one from Hisense (local dimming feature is a plus) or TCL QLED and take extended warranty from flipkart/amazon/reliance etc.

Please suggest.
Old 5th December 2020, 17:40   #9740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
He offered me the 950G model which is readily available in the warehouse (2020 model) and he can provide the same with better discount. This makes me get into the confusion again even after booked the X900H.
Please advise.
X950G is much better TV in all the aspects compared to X9000H except for HDMI 2.1 feature. HDMI 2.1 is only available in X9000H, so if you plan on buying PS5 or Xbox Series X then you can go with X9000H. If you don't game, then blindly go for X950G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Anyone has experience with the budget TVs? I am thinking to buy the one from Hisense (local dimming feature is a plus) or TCL QLED and take extended warranty from flipkart/amazon/reliance etc.

Please suggest.
If you are obsessed with the best picture quality then you should go for Sony or Samsung. The difference between Sony/Samsung and budget TVs is usually the picture quality, 4k upscaling features, Sound and so on. If you casually watch TV and don't see any difference in the picture quality between big brands and budget TV then you can settle for the budget TV.
Old 6th December 2020, 13:05   #9741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
If you are obsessed with the best picture quality then you should go for Sony or Samsung. The difference between Sony/Samsung and budget TVs is usually the picture quality, 4k upscaling features, Sound and so on. If you casually watch TV and don't see any difference in the picture quality between big brands and budget TV then you can settle for the budget TV.
Obviously, I care about picture quality but not sure if I am obsessed.
I don't care much about sound as I have a pretty high end 5.1 setup.

Now, the question I have is - Is there really a difference in picture quality between budget brands (VU/Hisense/TCL) vs Sony/Samsung? Particularly, if you consider the entry level models of Sony/Samsung Like X7500H or TE8000 etc? As per the reviews/specs, I don't see any difference and in fact in some areas, the budget brands seems to offer better panel. I don't want to spend just for the brand, that's it.

It will be good if someone can share first hand experience with budget brands. By the way, some of these 'budget' brands like Hisense or TCL are the biggest TV manufacturers in the world. They make super high-end TVs and compete directly with Sony/Samsung in many markets like the US.
Old 6th December 2020, 15:27   #9742
BHPian

Quote:
It will be good if someone can share first hand experience with budget brands. By the way, some of these 'budget' brands like Hisense or TCL are the biggest TV manufacturers in the world. They make super high-end TVs and compete directly with Sony/Samsung in many markets like the US.
I am in the same boat as you are, thus created this (The Budget / Frugal TV thread) thread. Please go thru it and do keep us posted on the final choice you make.
Old 6th December 2020, 16:21   #9743
BHPian

Quote:
After using LG LED 47" from 2011-2019 ( had to replace board midway), I purchased MI FHD 49" in May '19 and Vu Premium 43" 4K in June' 20.

Have purchased extended Vu warranty for 2 yrs. apart from the standard warranty that comes bundled. Cost me INR 2,950/-

Coming to picture quality, Vu is far better than MI, but here the reason is that Vu is 4K. Sound quality in Vu is also very good.

I am satisfied with what MI has to offer in FHD category.

I have observed a WiFi bug in MI, whereas, Vu is flawless and punches way above its weight. Even a consistent mobile Hotspot will ensure superb picture quality with Vu.

My usage is 100% streaming services.

Haven't recharged Videocon D2H in 2020 I believe.

Have side loaded Thop TV and Oreo TV on both the TVs which takes care of occasional channel viewing needs.

If a need arises today, I will put my money on Vu again, but on a larger 4K panel as my primary TV.

Vu Premium was originally available to be sold via Flipkart, and then they launched Vu Cinema series as Amazon exclusive.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 02:40   #9744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Vu Premium was originally available to be sold via Flipkart, and then they launched Vu Cinema series as Amazon exclusive.
One incorrect piece of information in my post yesterday that I would like to point out -

The Amazon exclusive model is known as ULTRA 4K.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B089KVCGCV/..._cAuZFb3R8V5MM

The Cinema series, though listed on Amazon, predates the ULTRA 4K series.

I regret the error.
Old 16th December 2020, 10:00   #9745
BHPian

After too many strong escalation mails and the continuous follow-ups, finally the TV got delivered on last Friday and the installation done on same evening by RD guys. So far the TV experience is wow.

Ordered 9000H, but ended with 9500G due to the 9000H stock unavailability in RD. Customercare told me that it may be delivered after 24th Dec which I couldn't wait as I've waited for this long enough. Paid additional of 5K and bought the TV under a lac. They've recollected the Sony Headphone though.

Coming to the TV experience, Way ahead than my previous LG 3D Model and still exploring the better picture by playing various content. The TV speakers are really good enough and I turn on the Home Theater only for the specific content.
However, I was expecting the Dolby Vision or HDR notification will appear on the screen while playing such content. Is that correct?

Last edited by Jebs : 16th December 2020 at 10:02. Reason: additional info
Old 17th December 2020, 09:23   #9746
BHPian

The new Mi QLED TV 4K 55", also known as Mi TV Q1 (Product Model: L55M6-EQG), has launched and will be sold at 55K from 21-Dec-2020.

It comes with a 1-year warranty and the extended warranty for another year costs an additional 1500. Also, the wall mount must be purchased separately.

The Warranty Terms and Conditions clearly states: "The TV/product box must be opened and installed by a Xiaomi authorized personnel/technician else the warranty or any other claim will be void."

If I am not wall mounting, I still cannot open the box. I have heard third-party technicians refusing to visit and giving lame excuses if you are not wall mounting. In such cases, you are forced to open the box and hope there is no physical damage or electronic malfunction. Otherwise, your TV is down the drain on day-1 itself.

Any comments on this TV and their weird terms.

Last edited by Eddy : 17th December 2020 at 13:15. Reason: corrected typo
Old 17th December 2020, 20:48   #9747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now, the question I have is - Is there really a difference in picture quality between budget brands (VU/Hisense/TCL) vs Sony/Samsung?
Yes, period. Sony is Rolls-Royce, Samsung/LG is Hyundai, the rest are Hero bicycles. That is the difference in overall experience.

Gone are the days when people bought a television once in a decade and were happy with paying a premium for a high end brand, also there were established pedigree brands like Grundig, Thomson, Panasonic, Sharp etc which were pretty close to Sony quality though by a big stretch. The Chinese have destroyed electronics globally today, specially Mi.

Sony is 10 leagues above Samsung, the rest, maybe by hundreds of trillions.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 23:46   #9748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Sony 43X8300D 4K HDR Android TV.
My TV has developed a faint, black, horizontal line. Otherwise, the picture quality is superb. There were few suggestions online to have the ribbon cables to the LCD panel checked. Does the Sony service centers fix such issues?
Old 18th December 2020, 00:02   #9749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
The new Mi QLED TV 4K 55", also known as Mi TV Q1 (Product Model: L55M6-EQG), has launched and will be sold at 55K from 21-Dec-2020.

It comes with a 1-year warranty and the extended warranty for another year costs an additional 1500. Also, the wall mount must be purchased separately.

The Warranty Terms and Conditions clearly states: "The TV/product box must be opened and installed by a Xiaomi authorized personnel/technician else the warranty or any other claim will be void."

If I am not wall mounting, I still cannot open the box. I have heard third-party technicians refusing to visit and giving lame excuses if you are not wall mounting. In such cases, you are forced to open the box and hope there is no physical damage or electronic malfunction. Otherwise, your TV is down the drain on day-1 itself.

2 recent experiences: Friends bought Vu and Mi TV. Once delivered, the technician called and specifically told not to open the box until he comes. He came 4-5 days after delivery and first checked if the box was opened. Since it wasn't, he went ahead and opened it. Wall mounting labour was free of cost. But did not choose since they wanted a movable wall mount. On checking that TV was working properly,he activated the warranty via his mobile phone.
Old 18th December 2020, 03:40   #9750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post

I recently bought an LG OLED TV, even they had the same terms and conditions. Warranty is void if the box is opened by anyone other than the company authorized technician.

Most Viewed