Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2020, 20:01   #9781
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Also i can wait for special offers on warranty from LG. They had good offers during diwali time.
One thing to keep in mind though, and I just yesterday went to Croma (nothing better to do) to see if my past experience still stands, and it does.

The LG CX has poor color gamut, it has peachy whites and purplish blues, not as bad as Samsung but down there, and I say this AFTER calibration and a proper 15 minutes spent on watching scenes side by side.. the Sony has way more precise whites and blues and natural picture quality. Motion was also much much, better on the Sony, personally I wouldn't touch the LG.

In all fairness though and in isolation, the LG would seem great to 99% people, just not the discerning ones, Sony's processing and color reproduction is on another level, the LG is without a doubt good, but cartoonish colors and low color gamut is the ultimate weakness, Samsungs color gamut is like 10 colors, no gradients at all. Viewing angles are all fine, but what if you're not getting accurate colors from even head on? I count that as a major weakness.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 16:12   #9782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

The LG CX has poor color gamut, it has peachy whites and purplish blues, not as bad as Samsung but down there, and I say this AFTER calibration and a proper 15 minutes spent on watching scenes side by side.. the Sony has way more precise whites and blues and natural picture quality. Motion was also much much, better on the Sony, personally I wouldn't touch the LG.
Are you comparing with sony 9000/9500 series or with sony OLED? I will be surprised if sony 9000 or 9500 series is better than LG CX which is an OLED and in that case i will have to re-think on my buy.
Old 14th January 2021, 21:21   #9783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I went ahead with the Toshiba U7980 55 inch model at 48500 from reliance digital.
Hi adimicra, I am considering the same TV myself. How's your experience been so far? How's the audio quality?

Do you suggest waiting for the u8080 series which is due to launch shortly?

I will use it along with my Nvidia Shield TV and don't have a soundbar or any other external audio set up (yet).

Does anyone else recommend any other 55 inch TV in the 50k budget?
Old 19th January 2021, 14:07   #9784
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.flipkart.com/motorola-zx...8d43a702a3fa70

Grabbed this great deal on a 65inch TV on the flipkart sale for our office conference room. Final price was 47.5k, had never seen a 65inch go below 50k pricing or are there other alternatives for this size and price?

Have no experience with Motorola as a TV brand, infact didn't even know they made TVs until now. While I always stick to Samsung for my home use, didn't mind going for a cheaper alternative for the office as the primary use is zoom/video conferencing, ppt and basic video show casing at times. Will be hooking up the tv to a laptop or CPU via hdmi at most times.

If anyone has an experience with Motorola TVs please do share

Last edited by Sahil : 19th January 2021 at 14:14.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 07:22   #9785
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking to pick up a 55"-65" 4K smart TV mostly to watch over weekends. No fixed budget but don't want to splurge either. Totally confused with all the jargon.

Any tips would be highly appreciated.
Old 21st January 2021, 07:37   #9786
BHPian

Just got the recently launched 55" Mi Qled 4K TV home. Love the picture quality of OTT platforms who offer high resolution or Dolby content. It has rendered my Mi soundbar obsolete - the sound is that good. Also I like the patchwall OS of this TV. Though it has a Google ecosystem, I've started using patchwall over it. Do visit a Mi store to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Looking to pick up a 55"-65" 4K smart TV mostly to watch over weekends. No fixed budget but don't want to splurge either. Totally confused with all the jargon.

Any tips would be highly appreciated.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 08:12   #9787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Grabbed this great deal on a 65inch TV on the flipkart sale for our office conference room. Final price was 47.5k, had never seen a 65inch go below 50k pricing or are there other alternatives for this size and price?
Flipkart themselves are doing manufacturing now for Motorola and Nokia if I am not wrong. Check out TV warranty link, you will find it mentioned over there. No surprise if it is available under 50k now. Do share your experience with picture quality etc if possible. Thanks.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 10:49   #9788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Flipkart themselves are doing manufacturing now for Motorola and Nokia if I am not wrong..... Do share your experience with picture quality etc if possible. Thanks.
I picked up the Nokia 65 and no regrets till date, decent sound output as well.

The difference in output is glaring when you have an OLED side by side otherwise its a full paisa vasool.
Marshall is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 18:53   #9789

Hello everyone!

I am looking for a smart TV (43") within a budget of ₹30k.

Currently, I have shortlisted Oneplus TV (Y series) and Mi TV 4A pro. I am getting both for ₹24K.

Can someone please share actual usage feedback for either of them so that I can decide on what to choose.
Also, any suggestions on what other options to consider are welcome.
Old 23rd January 2021, 19:37   #9790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I picked up the Nokia 65 and no regrets till date, decent sound output as well.

The difference in output is glaring when you have an OLED side by side otherwise its a full paisa vasool.
Even I was tempted to pick up the Motorola 65 inch this time around which was available for 47.5k after discounts. By the time I checked out reviews price had been increased by 3k. I know that they display quality won't be that good, but after having to use a laptop since June ( Samsung Plasma conked off during lockdown and I haven't been able to get it repaired yet), I would probably give in and buy any TV now as long as it's not too expensive.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 11:56   #9791
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ik.Singh View Post
I am looking for a smart TV (43") within a budget of ₹30k.
The LG UM7290 is quite a popular model. Currently available at 32k on Flipkart after card discounts. Please check that out.

LG, Samsung and Sony are mainstream brands and their products and service would be anyday much better than those of the budget brands.
Old 25th January 2021, 07:39   #9792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The LG CX has poor color gamut, it has peachy whites and purplish blues, not as bad as Samsung but down there, and I say this AFTER calibration and a proper 15 minutes spent on watching scenes side by side
Am surprised to read this. What is the method of calibration?

I work in the Visual Effects Industry. The LG C9 (First CX is on the way) has been the top TV for us, for the last 4 years. We have yet to find anything that surpass the picture performance of this TV. There are a dozen of these TV's in use. These TV's run along side professionally calibrated Eizo displays.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 25th January 2021 at 07:52.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 09:25   #9793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Am surprised to read this. What is the method of calibration?
Let me start off by saying that the LG was compared to the undisputed king of accurate displays, the Sony, and no matter how much LG is praised (for valid reasons, too) I hope you'll understand that its competition was done with the platinum standard. As I also said in the post, by its own, the LG is good but just not against the Sony.

I have 2 methods of calibration, some prefer the Cinema or Cinema+ mode, I believe that mode kills the white and yellows the colors overall, although I did test the mode as well. I suggest this method of calibration to most people :

Sharpness - around the 30-40% mark, I kept both at even lesser (to avoid the white edging and pixels blowing up onto the screen)

Dimming - kept to the least aggressive, but on nonetheless

Color - Neutral/Blue & Warm (Cinema Mode), tried out both

Switched off all Motion Smoothing, Dynamic enhancements etc

Brightness - I was at the store so I cannot use the calibration disc, and so I didn't, however based on the repeated scenes going on, I kept it at about the 50% mark (the store was very bright, else it would be much lesser)

Backlight - 80% (bright surroundings)

Contrast - the settings on the LG was off-the-charts, everything maxed out and the colors bled, I set it to about the 50% mark on both.

Setting the LG took more time for me since it had more options to be switched off so about 10 minutes, half the time for the Sony.

Under the neutral color mode the LG had peachy whites, purplish blues for sure, the warm tint hides that to a large degree. Motion smoothness, no contest, the Sony wins by a mile. Overall to MY eyes, which prefers natural colors and overall, an organic experience the Sony simply felt better and the store-guy agreed with me.

Preferences can vary, most like it saturated, boosted and bled, the Samsung is the king there (that's why they are no.1), LG is the middle of the ground, managing to balance above-average PQ & SQ and also pleasing those who want a boosted visual experience, Sony also has jumped into the bandwagon of boosting (Triluminos) but thankfully, their algorithm still produces natural skin-tones, blues, reds and greens with the gold-standard color gamut.

I'd say it will always be a no-brainer, Sony will be the top pick, followed (for lack of other options) by LG, my ratings would end there. I also agree with Prasath in the previous page when he said that LG has improved since their first debacle of OLED screens, they have. The first position will forever be Sony, in whatever they do.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 09:51   #9794
BHPian

Some time back our MI 32 inch TV's backlight conked out but the display was working as it was 1.5 years old the standard warranty had expired and I had unfortunately purchased extended warranty from Jeeves . I knew nothing was going to happen from their side but anyways registered a claim with them.

Then I was looking for some new TVs and saw that Mi was offering extra warranty of 1 year on panel so I checked my bill too and even I had the extended warranty for panel so I registered another claim from Mi directly and in 2 days their engineer visited and told me that the panel will be replaced and it will arrive within 1 week, after 4 days of his visit he arrived with the replacement panel and replaced it and I paid the service cost of Rs.472 and till now no one arrived from Jeeves visited or called me.

A week later Jeeves called me to ask me how was the service and I told them no one arrived from their side and they closed the claim with remarks "successful" LOL!

Would advise fellow bhpians and readers to avoid Jeeves extended warranty at all costs.

Last edited by revvharder : 27th January 2021 at 10:00.
revvharder is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 03:21   #9795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I also said in the post, by its own, the LG is good but just not against the Sony.
I don't believe Sony's that are sold today have anywhere near the consistency levels of what they used to do in the CRT days and even compared to modern day led or oled's. Sony may do a few flagship displays that are top notch and rival LG but if you're looking for a product with consistent performance across a range, LG simply annihilates everything out there. I'd say that a 2020 Panasonic HZ1000 edges out some flagship Sony's.

Sony's professional displays such as the BVM-HX310 are still one of the top choices of Directors and Producers and thats speaking from a Professional workspace.

From what I understand, calibration seems to be done by eye. We do the same. The LG's we have cannot be calibrated by any device. They are set to predefined levels that most closely match our color space. Even for HDR, we use screen shots of desired settings and hope that its close enough. Even though the LG C8 and C9's can have LUT values loaded into them, they are not that good and cause banding issues. The CX's are supposed to have a better LUT range and should allow us to use third party software to achieve better results.

I own a Sony led 55". It is far from the best they make. HDR seems to be a feature that exists for the sake of it. Backlight bleeding is another problem (Seems normal for most sub par led TV's). Its not so severe but I did not expect it with a Sony.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 28th January 2021 at 03:23.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks