Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2021, 19:45   #10021
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
X9000H is a VA panel, hence suffers when it comes to viewing angle. If your room has a wide seating arrangement then X9000H is not recommended.

If budget is not a problem then go for LG CX. Every guest who visited our house has been mighty impressed with the LG CX picture quality.
Hi,

I am trying to decide between the g1 and c1 LG OLEDs now and the price difference between the two is just 10k for the 55 inches which seems ok to plonk for the G1.

Now i did see the 65 inches too and they look awesome but i am unable to get myself to drop a lakh more for the extra 10 inches.

My quandary now is should i get a 55 inch oled from LG or a 65 inch 4k led tv from Sony for effectively a similar price?

55G1 128,000
55C1 118,000

65 G1 253,000
65 C1 211,000

Why, for the price of 1 65 inch I could buy 2 55 inches!

I was also offered a 65 CX display piece for 170,000 but thought the better of it. Maybe if it was sold for under a lakh. Lol

Edit: I could just about push for the C1 65 inch and bite my teeth through for a biggish OLED tv and hopefully nobody at home complains about the Tv Couple of weeks down the line.

Last edited by Red Liner : 31st October 2021 at 20:10.
Old 31st October 2021, 20:56   #10022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

My quandary now is should i get a 55 inch oled from LG or a 65 inch 4k led tv from Sony for effectively a similar price?
Based on some limited personal experience, and a whole lot of online research on this broad topic:

1. If the viewing distance allows you to use the 65", a bigger screen is usually a better idea. Too close, and if your typical viewing source isn't good enough, you would notice issues in the picture which might remain unnoticeable in smaller sizes.

2. If you typically watch movies (often involving large landscapes or zoomed out views) the grandeur of a bigger screen is really appealing. If you have a good sound system to accompany it, it really adds to the experience. However an oversized TV (watching from too close) and seeing things like the news (or typically focused on close objects/faces) may feel bothersome.

3. OLED is fantastic, but the smaller size might outweigh the benefit depending on the above factors. Also consider the other TVs you use. If you get used to a better product/tech (an OLED in this case), it makes it difficult to use relatively inferior ones (I face this continually since I upgraded my sound system)

4. Consider QLED. Though not OLED class, they too are very good. (@Aviator_guy) and I'd pay the premium over regular LED based panels.

5. Also consider how bright the area/room where you are going to view is. If not dark enough, the brightness of the screen will have a significant impact on picture quality.

For myself, I'd lean towards a 65" QLED. I would also be inclined to look for models with a good panel, with lesser focus on brand and "features buzzwords". Then spend the rest of the money on improving sound and room acoustics etc, if the situation allows. It may well significantly enhance the experience.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 22:46   #10023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Based on some limited personal experience, and a whole lot of online research on this broad topic:
Good points all of them. We are about 8-10 foot away from the telly. When i saw the 55 vs the 65, the 65 really stood out as a big telly. The other thing was the crispness of the OLED IPS panel on the GX and CX LG were really good. I keep reading that the C1 and 2021 generation tv brightness is not that good compared to the 2020 models.

Isn't the qled a Samsung thing? We don't upgrade stuff often, we are more like, buy it, keep it, use it until it dies kinda folks. The last thing i need is heartburn from my folks about the tv i chose.

Which is this brand which has lesser focus on buzz words? I do keep seeing the LG oleds seem to be the best to buy on rtings and other similar websites which do such rankings.

To curry the deal further, i also got offered the GX LG for a lower price than the current C1 model. Yes, 3rd gen processor compared to 4th gen, but its a bit cheaper and will probably look super sleek wall mounted. I haven't seen the GX demo properly.

The samsung qled look super bright and very catchy. Am i missing something? Reddit says to stay clear of the Samsung's. I don't remember why, i just read it. I am not much of a Tv Person at all.

All we will use this Tv for are streaming movies online and YouTube. No gaming etc.

Last edited by Red Liner : 31st October 2021 at 22:51.
Old 1st November 2021, 00:06   #10024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good points all of them.
Typing on a small screen hence brief:

As @prasathlr suggested, also consider how much viewing angle you need. Typically for viewing perpendicular to the screen VA is better, and for wide viewing IPS. OLED better in most ways.

Most (all?) OLED panels are made by LG, regardless of the TV brand. Similarity, upto a couple of years back all QLED were by Samsung. I suppose TCL etc have since set up QLED factories. Other brands source QLED panels from Samsung etc.

QLED is a different and improved tech over regular LCDs.

Besides the panel used, what varies with brands mainly is their ports, and picture processing etc. I prefer the approach of using the TV more like a dumb display, with processing happening outside in a box (a bit like a component audio system) - in your Android box (check NVIDIA Shield) or Blu Ray player etc. It helps upgrade things easily - component wise as one needs more RAM/Processing power etc.

Since you keep stuff long term:
Also consider what types of HDR versions it supports. There is no consensus format as yet, and different companies backing different ones - from license free ones to licensed Dolby ones.

Also try for a 120 hz refresh rate. It reduces chances of a jerky motion with different frame rates in source material.

At 8 feet 65 might feel overwhelming. At 10, likely great.

For a serious movie watcher: I'd be inclined towards 65 inch QLED (OLED, if money isn't an issue)
For a casual one: 55, and wonder why bother with an oled.
For a casual one happy to spend and wanting that touch of luxury: 55 oled.

PS: Good sound is a big bonus. Adding a proper sub (not one of those soundbar ones) with a 12" or bigger driver with at least two decent front bookshelf speakers - to me - would add immensely to the movie viewing experience. Way more than a 55 inch oled on a soundbar setup. A 3.1 or a 5.1 takes it a notch or two higher. Sound is a whole other discussion.

PPS: I was hardly brief

Last edited by Poitive : 1st November 2021 at 00:18. Reason: Noticed errors
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 11:55   #10025
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
I am trying to decide between the g1 and c1 LG OLEDs now
If you are not a gamer, then even the LG A1 or the B1 could be looked at. Those should be a lot more inexpensive.

Quote:
5. Also consider how bright the area/room where you are going to view is. If not dark enough, the brightness of the screen will have a significant impact on picture quality.
This in my opinion is the single biggest factor. OLEDs are wonderful, but in a bright room, the sheer reflective screen will make it unwatchable. I would rather stick with a QLED as well in a bright room setting.

Last edited by Oxy : 1st November 2021 at 12:00.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 12:38   #10026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also try for a 120 hz refresh rate. It reduces chances of a jerky motion with different frame rates in source material.
Do any of these TV"s have native refresh rates close to that ?

Unless into gaming, I dont think 120Hz is needed.
Old 1st November 2021, 17:36   #10027
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Finally got a chance to have a look at the TVs in person at Croma yesterday. Saw the Sony X80J which cording to the sales person was the most moving TV in 65”.

Cheers
So what did you get? After some more soul searching i realised that spending crazy money (1.25L) on a 55 inch oled when i can get a, granted cheaper economical sony IPS panel for 65 inches to play regular OTT content, well i don't think i should break my head too much over this. My brother watches republic tv and my mom watches stuff on YouTube. I think this TV is plenty enough for us at this point. Wont burn my heart as much when we want to upgrade to the next one in 5 years.

I think 65 inch Sony x80j is plenty value for money from a Sony.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 18:20   #10028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Do any of these TV"s have native refresh rates close to that ?

Unless into gaming, I dont think 120Hz is needed.
There are several TVs available with 120Hz.

The benifit of 120Hz goes beyond games. It can handle different frame rates of videos better.

The following extract explains it.

Quote:
WHEN DISPLAYING 24 FPS CONTENT

While a 120Hz TV doesn't inherently produce better motion, it can provide a few advantages over standard 60Hz TVs. One of the most important advantages is the ability to play back content that is meant to be displayed at 24 fps, which is often found in movies. Most TVs can simply lower their own refresh rate to 24Hz when the content is 24 fps, but some sources, such as Chromecast, output video at 60 fps, even if the content is 24 fps. This means that the TV's refresh rate remains at 60Hz, and motion won't appear smooth, which is an effect called judder. A 60Hz TV has trouble removing 24 fps judder because 60 isn't a multiple of 24. To display this type of content, a technique known as a "3:2 pulldown" is used. Basically, 12 of the 24 frames repeat three times, while the other 12 repeat twice, totaling 60 frames. Not everybody notices this, but it causes some scenes, notably panning shots, to appear juddery. However, 120Hz TVs have an advantage here because they can simply display each frame five times since 120 is a multiple of 24.

Last edited by Poitive : 1st November 2021 at 18:30. Reason: Grammar/language
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 19:17   #10029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So
Getting a price of 92.5k for the 65 inch all in, which beats the online price for the AJ model. Anyone else heard any better?
Old 2nd November 2021, 08:27   #10030
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Getting a price of 92.5k for the 65 inch all in, which beats the online price for the AJ model. Anyone else heard any better?
Where did you get this price, if you don’t mind sharing?
Quote:
So what did you get? After some more soul searching i realised that spending crazy money (1.25L) on a 55 inch oled when i can get a, granted cheaper economical sony IPS panel for 65 inches to play regular OTT content, well i don't think i should break my head too much over this..

Haven’t bought it yet but looking at the same Sony X80J. Through Amazon one can get the 80AJ for 97k, add credit card discount and up to 4K buy back. Whereas Croma in-store offered 80J for 1.07L if paid in cash or 94k odd through credit card discounts (don’t know which CC though).
Old 2nd November 2021, 08:51   #10031
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Haven’t bought it yet but looking at the same Sony X80J. Through Amazon one can get the 80AJ for 97k, add credit card discount and up to 4K buy back. Whereas Croma in-store offered 80J for 1.07L if paid in cash or 94k odd through credit card discounts (don’t know which CC though).
Reliance Retail. I just opened the Amazon app and told them to beat the price. Croma didn't budge over the phone. Yes, have to use the credit card for maximum discounts possible.

At double the price i can get the LG GX OLED 65 inches. I wonder if that is really worth it for 3 hours of internet watching time per day. Logic says no. Plus the TV is stationed right next to a huge freaking balcony.
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:30   #10032
BHPian

Quote:
Reliance Retail.
Check out the prices in 'Devi International'. I feel, he provides the best price for white goods in B'lore. I heard, even people outside of B'lore, purchase at this place.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:41   #10033
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

55G1 128,000
55C1 118,000

65 G1 253,000
65 C1 211,000
65 G1 should be closer to 2L on ground including cashbacks. That's the price people are getting in Mumbai and Bangalore. Recently purchased it at 2.02 (and I'm bad at bargaining). Similarly people are getting lower rates for the 55 too. G1 has the evo panel and flush wall mount. Otherwise it's quite close to the C1. Both C1 and G1 are 120Hz and optimized for gaming. These LG TVs arguably have really sweet OLED panels (check out the reviews on rtings)
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:46   #10034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Issue now is online reviews seem to really pan this TV for even the 699$ price it retails at in the states. Its far more expensive here even after all the deals.

This TV thing is so difficult to make up your mind over. In store everything is quite literally in your face.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:58   #10035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
65 G1 should be closer to 2L on ground including cashbacks. That's the price people are getting in Mumbai and Bangalore. Recently purchased it at 2.02 (and I'm bad at bargaining). Similarly people are getting lower rates for the 55 too. G1 has the evo panel and flush wall mount. Otherwise it's quite close to the C1. Both C1 and G1 are 120Hz and optimized for gaming. These LG TVs arguably have really sweet OLED panels (check out the reviews on rtings)
2.02 for G1 is unheard. Even for C1 i am not getting quote anywhere near. Any pointers ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks