Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:24   #10036
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Issue now is online reviews seem to really pan this TV for even the 699$ price it retails at in the states. Its far more expensive here even after all the deals.

This TV thing is so difficult to make up your mind over. In store everything is quite literally in your face.
Totally agree. However, the US don't reviews me much since not much we can do about on the pricing front. Is the TV really that bad?
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:40   #10037
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I am trying to decide between the g1 and c1 LG OLEDs now and the price difference between the two is just 10k for the 55 inches which seems ok to plonk for the G1.
====
Edit: I could just about push for the C1 65 inch and bite my teeth through for a biggish OLED tv and hopefully nobody at home complains about the Tv Couple of weeks down the line.
The benefit of the G-Series is how flush it would be when mounted on a wall. Internationally the G series does not even come with stands, not sure about India. If you don't care about the picture frame like flushness I would get the C1.

I personally think bigger is better! 10 inches may seem small but it will feel like a massive difference. I moved from a 55 to a 65 and it felt huge.

I wouldn't buy a floor model OLED. Simply because of burn-in risk and the pixels losing brightness with their constant use.

OLED vs LED should be decided on use case:

Bright room? - LED
Watching a lot of static picture? - LED (Sports scores, news banners, long gaming sessions with HUDS)
Movie watching in a dark room? - OLED hands down.
Picture quality? - OLED over all LEDs except the Samsung QN90A and Sony 950H/X95J which come close but still not as good.

If you are constantly going to worry about burn in then for the hassle free experience I would chose LED but if you plan on replacing your tv in 3-4 years then you can use and abuse the OLED without a worry.
rbp25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 14:33   #10038
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Issue now is online reviews seem to really pan this TV for even the 699$ price it retails at in the states. Its far more expensive here even after all the deals.

This TV thing is so difficult to make up your mind over. In store everything is quite literally in your face.
The thing is, the US is a very different market altogether and there, this Sony is the entry level variant and thus, the related bashing. I got myself an entry level Samsung last year(TU8000) and every American review I came across on YouTube was bad to average. On Reddit, you will come across snobs who will look down on someone going for an entry level TV. If you are liking this TV, you should go for it. I am quite sure that it will be better than the entry level Samsungs and LGs.

As far as 55 Oled vs 65 Led is concerned, the size differential shall be noticed by one and all whereas the quality difference shall be noticed only by experts and that too in specific scenarios.
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 15:44   #10039
BHPian

Quote:

Edit: I could just about push for the C1 65 inch and bite my teeth through for a biggish OLED tv and hopefully nobody at home complains about the Tv Couple of weeks down the line.
I have been chatting with a lot of folks over at hifivision who are getting new OLEDs this festive season. Literally every single person who has purchased the 55 is regretting not going for 65. The difference is not just 10 inches. You should experience this in the showroom and remember the fact that in a large showroom with multiple TV, it still is not as impactful as in a single room with THE only TV. The large immersive size is worth it, if budget permits.

The G1 panel has flush mounting (so one can mount it almost like a photo frame) and it has the evo panel which has some technical advancements. However, for 95% of the users the technical advancements between G1 and C1 are not noticeable. LG on the ground is pushing G1 and offers more discounts on that panel as compared to C1.
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 15:48   #10040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp25 View Post
The benefit of the G-Series is how flush it would be when mounted on a wall. Internationally the G series does not even come with stands, not sure about India. If you don't care about the picture frame like flushness I would get the C1.

I personally think bigger is better! 10 inches may seem small but it will feel like a massive difference. I moved from a 55 to a 65 and it felt huge.

I wouldn't buy a floor model OLED. Simply because of burn-in risk and the pixels losing brightness with their constant use.

OLED vs LED should be decided on use case:

Bright room? - LED
Watching a lot of static picture? - LED (Sports scores, news banners, long gaming sessions with HUDS)
Movie watching in a dark room? - OLED hands down.
Picture quality? - OLED over all LEDs except the Samsung QN90A and Sony 950H/X95J which come close but still not as good.

If you are constantly going to worry about burn in then for the hassle free experience I would chose LED but if you plan on replacing your tv in 3-4 years then you can use and abuse the OLED without a worry.
After using the OLED, I'd recommend it (only if budget permits). It's definitely a premium product, however the picture quality and black levels are just mind boggling. Watch 4K HDR clips on the TV to actually experience it. Bright rooms would not make a difference and OLED would be bright enough to give a good PQ. However in darker rooms, OLED would show exemplary performance.

Again, G1 and C1 have a game optimizer mode which works brilliantly with console gaming.
Old 2nd November 2021, 16:18   #10041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
After using the OLED, I'd recommend it (only if budget permits). It's definitely a premium product, however the picture quality and black levels are just mind boggling. Watch 4K HDR clips on the TV to actually experience it. Bright rooms would not make a difference and OLED would be bright enough to give a good PQ. However in darker rooms, OLED would show exemplary performance.

Again, G1 and C1 have a game optimizer mode which works brilliantly with console gaming.
I used Plasma's for a long time and since last 1.5 years am using LG C9 OLED.

Plasma's during their time had the best PQ due to high contrast ratios. Still remember watching Avatar in 1080 P 3D mode on my Plasma. I enjoyed it equally as much as I had in the theatre. Black levels were way better than the LEDs during that time.

I had a choice of picking up a 65" inch Sony LED (forgot the model now) and 55" inch LG LED. I was getting the OLED for a mouth watering price of a around a little higher than a lac.

I was still in 2 minds when the sales advisor agreed to run both the TVs side by side. The difference when showing a high contrast scenes just could not be ignored though the 65" inch looked more alluring for the size and price. Besides my room is big enough even accommodate a 75" inch TV.

The blacks in OLED are just inky black. One feels as if the TV is switched off unless the credits roll on. I hope that sums up the OLED experience.

Sony or LG is a choice one has to make. If one is able to justify the price difference one can go with Sony else LGs are rated better almost everywhere irrespective of what Sony fanboys have to say. I didn't find any difference expect for higher price tag. Some areas Sony shines and in some LG does and the somehow the whole is better than the sum of the parts for LG.
nibedk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 16:27   #10042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The thing is, the US is a very different market altogether...
True. A lot of snobbery around too, especially on Reddit. Also, often much of that is based on other parameters being taken care of quite well. The room, and especially the quality of source material.

For the average Indian user seeing things with lowish resolutions and/or rather compressed video (as compared to, say, a Blu ray player), the difference in quality is a lot lesser. Much also depends on how serious one is with movie viewing.

One should also consider the real value of money in the US vs India (based on PPP) to understand how their extra spend would pinch a lot lesser than it would to an Indian consumer.
Old 8th November 2021, 15:02   #10043
BHPian

I finally bought Sony 65X90J through Girias for 1.2L after cashback and pitting them against Pai and Unilet. Very satisfied with the amount I am paying. Now fingers crossed with for the set itself.
If someone is interested, DM me seperately. I will share the Girias Executive's contact who got the deal done for me.

P.S. - I have no business interest with Girias or the Executive.
RoadSurfer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 13:51   #10044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
I finally bought Sony 65X90J through Girias for 1.2L after cashback and pitting them against Pai and Unilet. Very satisfied with the amount I am paying. Now fingers crossed with for the set itself.
If someone is interested, DM me seperately. I will share the Girias Executive's contact who got the deal done for me.

P.S. - I have no business interest with Girias or the Executive.
That is an amazing deal. I paid 1.6L for the same from Vijay Sales
rbp25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 17:16   #10045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I have been chatting with a lot of folks over at hifivision who are getting new OLEDs this festive season. Literally every single person who has purchased the 55 is regretting not going for 65. The difference is not just 10 inches. You should experience this in the showroom and remember the fact that in a large showroom with multiple TV, it still is not as impactful as in a single room with THE only TV. The large immersive size is worth it, if budget permits.
I purchased the 65" Sony A80J when it was launched. At that time, that was the biggest Oled TV. My plan was to pick a 55" for the bedroom during festive season.

Come October, I learned that Sony launched the 77" and it was having a few festive offers as well. I immediately ordered one. For the distance of 10'-13', it is a good option to have.

Reason to choose the Sony over LG. SD content upscaling is supposedly good in Sony. No gaming at all. And Naana was not that keen on LG.
Old 19th November 2021, 11:58   #10046
BHPian

Hi all! Finally bought the Samsung QN90A Neo QLED 55inch with the Diwali discount. Thank you all for your help and feedback. Went from considering the Oneplus u1s to the QLED mainly because of the Diwali pricing I got. It cost me 1.18 when compared to 1.6 I was quoted before Ayudh Pooja.

Absolutely loved the two weeks I've spent with this, the Object Tracking Sound advertised seemed like a gimmick when I read about it but wow, it is pretty prominent. The blacks are very dark when compared to the Samsung Q80 QLED and the picture is so much more crisper.

I'm glad I took all your advices and had some patience and waited for this. I would definitely recommend this TV especially at this price Thank you all again for your help!
blahman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 13:19   #10047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
Hi all! Finally bought the Samsung QN90A Neo QLED 55inch with the Diwali discount. Thank you all for your help and feedback. Went from considering the Oneplus u1s to the QLED mainly because of the Diwali pricing I got. It cost me 1.18 when compared to 1.6 I was quoted before Ayudh Pooja.

Absolutely loved the two weeks I've spent with this, the Object Tracking Sound advertised seemed like a gimmick when I read about it but wow, it is pretty prominent. The blacks are very dark when compared to the Samsung Q80 QLED and the picture is so much more crisper.

I'm glad I took all your advices and had some patience and waited for this. I would definitely recommend this TV especially at this price Thank you all again for your help!
Any specific reason you didn't consider an OLED - the current holy grail of picture quality. I had got one for lesser than what you paid around 18 months back. Had it been a 65 incher the compromise on PQ would have made.
Old 19th November 2021, 13:41   #10048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Any specific reason you didn't consider an OLED - the current holy grail of picture quality. I had got one for lesser than what you paid around 18 months back. Had it been a 65 incher the compromise on PQ would have made.
Well to put it bluntly, the marketing rupees that Samsung poured sealed my purchase decision. I'm sure like you mentioned the LG OLEDs are wayyy better but something just pushed me passively towards the Samsung.

The other appliances I bought along with it: the Refrigerator, charcoal oven and the washing machine were all LG since a lot of people told me Samsungs are really bad in that corner. Also these clever stores don't really put the OLED and the QLED next to each other. Just the same brand's different models are kept next to each other like the Samsung Neo QLED next to the QLED / UHD and the LG OLED was a few meters away. So I couldn't really figure out the side by side difference.

So to summarize, reviews from a lot of people and lack of further interest/patience to dig into the whole OLED vs QLED Neo just did it for me to buy the QN90
Old 20th November 2021, 23:51   #10049
Distinguished - BHPian

Hate Black Fridays, they make you spend unnecessarily

I was not in the market for television as I bought a 58" Samsung UHD 7-Series 3 years ago and was running flawlessly. However, over the last 6-months, we were exposed to a friend's new TV (Samsung QLED Q70A 65 inch) and we realized there is a massive difference between our TV compared to their TV as we used to go over to their home for some movie weekends. Colors in that television used to pop, was super bright and felt like living the shows/movie content and left us impressed.

This difference kind of stuck in mind. Well, I was not even thinking of replacing the TV but, was casually scouting deals and kept a budget in mind which was around the Samsung Q70A.

Researched for exactly an hour previous night and shortlisted below both of which retails at $1600 :

1) Samsung QLED Q80A 65 inch
2) Sony Bravia XJ90 65 inch

Next day, made a quick trip to Best Buy and sales guys out there are very knowledgable and explained the differences between both in detail. The colors in Samsung is super vibrant, just pops and leaps at you while the Sony's is more natural and slightly jaded.

Also saw a few full OLED from LG and Sony which were a different level but, also cost double the price. I decided the next upgrade will be the 8K and full OLED from LG as they make these panels and it's best to stick to them when making a major purchase like that. Got to wait for another 2-3 years to move up that ladder.

For now, wifey loved the Samsung and since we have a super bright living room we decided this will be a better choice as it's really bright, better viewing angles as well as better reflection management.

Spoke to a friend and got to know there is store out here "Video Only" which I never heard of them in my life, they beat prices from every major store and deal only in Televisions and Sound Bars.

Luckily, this store was right opposite to Best Buy, so we visited and got a mouth watering deal and immediately picked it up.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_1014.jpg

Will share a detailed update after a few weeks of enjoying this television.

Any reccomendations for calibrating settings for this TV? Not sure if out of the box, picture quality would be the best? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th November 2021 at 23:55.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 18:43   #10050
BANNED

How is the Sanyo range of TVs?

And how is the picture quality compared to LG/Samsung/Pansonic? (I've not seen the picture quality of 43 inches or greater from Sanyo, but felt that it's in the same league of LG/Samsung in the 32" segment).

Most Viewed