Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2022, 21:56   #10111
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Thoroughly confused!! Would like to know your views on the below three models that I have managed to shortlist.

1. https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/t...ns/x90j-series

2. https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/t...kaAuqUEALw_wcB

3. https://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-oled55c1ptz

Yes, 2 & 3 are OLED and 1 is not. That apart, based on personal experience which one would one suggest I get? I hear OLED have slightly lower brightness levels. Is it really bad in a room with blackout curtains? This is the only reason why the x90j is shortlisted.

MaSh
Old 7th April 2022, 22:12   #10112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Thoroughly confused!! Would like to know your views on the below three models that I have managed to shortlist.

Yes, 2 & 3 are OLED and 1 is not. That apart, based on personal experience which one would one suggest I get? I hear OLED have slightly lower brightness levels. Is it really bad in a room with blackout curtains? This is the only reason why the x90j is shortlisted.

MaSh
I’ve been using LG C9 from little over 2 years.

Here are my thoughts: once you see an oled tv there’s really nothing like it (yet). Go for it you won’t regret it. The TV in my home is near a very large window (8x8’) and no I don’t feel it’s not bright enough. It’s more than enough bright! ESP if you watch Dolby Vision content, you will just appreciate how good the picture quality looks. Doesn’t matter LG or Sony, whatever you like but OLED it is.
punto_ is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 22:26   #10113
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

MaSh
Between 2 and 3-

Even though Sony uses LG panel, they are able to caliberate the display in such a way that it is slightly better than the LG. Go through this link-

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...threshold=0.10

Unless you are a gamer, you should go for the Sony.

As far as the LCD option is concerned, well, the OLEDs are definitely gonna be better in quality. However, if you are open to a 65 incher, then I would suggest the 65 inch A90j over the other OLEDs. Yes, the OLEDs have better quality but the immersion of a bigger screen will more than make up for it. If you wanna stick to 55 inchers only, rather get one of the OLEDs.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 22:30   #10114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I have connected TV to UPS, it is working seamlessly and handling frequent power cuts in Bangalore well. Please look for UPS model which can suit your TV wattage.
Quote:

MaSh
OLED it has to be. Had a plasma earlier and was always used to higher contrast ratios anyway. Have been using a LG C9 since last 2 years. Cost me a little over a lac. Currently nothing else comes close. Only the viewing angle is where non OLEDs are ahead. Unless and until you plan to watch TV from extreme edges of the room - OLED are the ones to go for.

They are bright enough to be seen with lights on or windows open. But it really shines in dark environments. You don't need black out curtains and all. We have normal curtains and just switch off the lights, put the curtains down and enjoy the show.

When we bought the LG competing Sony TVs were dearer by almost 40% if I remember correctly. LG was more future proof that time, but what I understood Sony had better upscaling of non HD content. LG still are rated better with neck to neck in most parameters with additional VFM tag. Save the money and invest in home theatre to have better movie watching experience. If budget permits you can go for 65 incher for more involving movie experiecne. HDR movies with Dolby atmos will just wow you.

Look out for the deep blacks. Sometimes you will feel the TV is switched off when there is a complete black out specially before the credit rolls. Try it on any other TV and you will understand what deep blacks mean.

Sony or LG - anything will do but with a LG you save enough to go a size larger or invest in a home theatre.
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 23:38   #10115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Between 2 and 3-

Even though Sony uses LG panel, they are able to caliberate the display in such a way that it is slightly better than the LG.

Unless you are a gamer, you should go for the Sony.

As far as the LCD option is concerned, well, the OLEDs are definitely gonna be better in quality. However, if you are open to a 65 incher,
then I would suggest the 65 inch A90j over the other OLEDs. Yes, the OLEDs have better quality but the immersion of a bigger screen will more than make up for it.
If you wanna stick to 55 inchers only, rather get one of the OLEDs.
Yes I am leaning towards the Sony. Unfortunately 55" is the Max I can accommodate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
I’ve been using LG C9 from little over 2 years.

Here are my thoughts: once you see an oled tv there’s really nothing like it (yet). Go for it you won’t regret it. The TV in my home is near a very large window (8x8’) and no I don’t feel it’s not bright enough. It’s more than enough bright! ESP if you watch Dolby Vision content, you will just appreciate how good the picture quality looks. Doesn’t matter LG or Sony, whatever you like but OLED it is.
Thank You. This helps a lot. Yes OLED it is, just that I was not sure about the real life brightness aspect. This settles the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
OLED it has to be. Had a plasma earlier and was always used to higher contrast ratios anyway. Unless and until you plan to watch TV from extreme edges of the room - OLED are the ones to go for.

They are bright enough to be seen with lights on or windows open. But it really shines in dark environments. You don't need black out curtains and all. We have normal curtains and just switch off the lights, put the curtains down and enjoy the show.

Sony or LG - anything will do but with a LG you save enough to go a size larger or invest in a home theatre.
Awesome thank you so much. I am honestly bowled over with OLED. Real life brightness was my only concern. However, that seems a Non Issue now. I already have a mid end Home Theater setup. Maybe a dual SVS sub setup if its LG.

Sony A80J 55" or the LG 48" OLED it is then. If folks at home find the size too big, then would have to settle for the LG 48" OLED. Sony does not have this size. Chances of getting the Sony are higher.

MaSh
mashmash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 23:48   #10116
BHPian

Quote:

Sony A80J 55" or the LG 48" OLED it is then. If folks at home find the size too big, then would have to settle for the LG 48" OLED. Sony does not have this size. Chances of getting the Sony are higher.

MaSh
Nothing against Sony per se. But have always felt the premium they charge over others is mostly not justified. LG will have better service and more warranty. The last I remember was for 5 years which they started few month post I bought mine.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...threshold=0.10

Making it a little harder for you. I would still suggest the LG.

With a price difference of more than 20 K (checked online), you can bargain for a much better rate for LG and this gap will widen further.

You can either go for a higher size or invest in a good home theatre. The sound systems in the TV are pretty meh!
Old 8th April 2022, 00:23   #10117
BHPian

Quote:
Making it a little harder for you. I would still suggest the LG.

With a price difference of more than 20 K (checked online), you can bargain for a much better rate for LG and this gap will widen further.

You can either go for a higher size or invest in a good home theatre. The sound systems in the TV are pretty meh!
Good Point. I will surely do a proper A B before committing.

TV Audio is always terrible. I have a dedicated Onkyo 2.1 unit for TV Audio. I have 3 independent audio chains, TV Audio, Stereo Music and HT.

MaSh
Old 8th April 2022, 09:07   #10118
BHPian

Quote:
Only the viewing angle is where non OLEDs are ahead
Isn't OLED's are known for having better viewing angles? In fact better then IPS?
Old 8th April 2022, 11:03   #10119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Isn't OLED's are known for having better viewing angles? In fact better then IPS?
You are right. Somehow I had VA panels in mind and mentioned this. OLEDs are better in everyway except that brightness of new age LEDs still are better. OLEDs are better suited for movie experiecne in dark environments.
Old 8th April 2022, 12:31   #10120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
The viewing angle is over hyped. Think about it, how many of us view the TV at more than 20 degrees off? Unlike computer monitors, we generally view the TV from a distance square on, rarely from the sides.

In fact what is more appealing to the eye is pure blacks and high brightness, rarely the viewing angle.

On the side :

If you are not watching musical programs, but TV shows mostly, even the standard sound on mainline TV's is quite good. We have one 10+ years 43" TV with add on sound system - large high power speakers, surround sound and the works. Fine for musical programs and deep bass but overkill for programs. The newer 55" 4K TV has good enough sound for most TV shows - Live broadcasts, Netflix, Prime video and you tube.
Old 8th April 2022, 13:26   #10121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The viewing angle is over hyped. Think about it, how many of us view the TV at more than 20 degrees off? Unlike computer monitors, we generally view the TV from a distance square on, rarely from the sides.

In fact what is more appealing to the eye is pure blacks and high brightness, rarely the viewing angle.
In a typical living room, sofas are arranged in an L shape. So only one side is looking straight at the TV. In our room, when I sit on the side sofa, the colors on the TV seem way off. That was not a problem when we had the LG IPS TV. A VA TV would be good in a home theater room, but in a normal living room - for casual viewing, an IPS display is better.
Old 8th April 2022, 14:33   #10122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

On the side :

If you are not watching musical programs, but TV shows mostly, even the standard sound on mainline TV's is quite good. We have one 10+ years 43" TV with add on sound system - large high power speakers, surround sound and the works. Fine for musical programs and deep bass but overkill for programs. The newer 55" 4K TV has good enough sound for most TV shows - Live broadcasts, Netflix, Prime video and you tube.
Agree to most points here. I was talking about full scale movie experiecne which the TVs inbuilt audio cant provide. With Covid in last few years a HT set up will provide a wholesome movie experiecne. Watched few movies which were meant for big screen and though big OLEDs can match the viewing experience the overall experiecne was meh! compared to cinema halls which provide a much better audio experiecne. Most super hero and action movies would fall in this category

Last edited by nibedk : 8th April 2022 at 14:34. Reason: Correction
Old 10th April 2022, 14:14   #10123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I have connected TV to UPS, it is working seamlessly and handling frequent power cuts in Bangalore well.
At the risk of sounding ignorant, are there power cuts happening in 2022 in Bangalore which is like the Silicon Valley of India and that too frequent ones? For the past many years, we haven't even bothered getting UPS for TVs or computers in Delhi NCR as months can go by without a power cut.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 20:26   #10124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
At the risk of sounding ignorant, are there power cuts happening in 2022 in Bangalore which is like the Silicon Valley of India and that too frequent ones? For the past many years, we haven't even bothered getting UPS for TVs or computers in Delhi NCR as months can go by without a power cut.
So called silicon valley infrastructure sucks here..
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 23:29   #10125
BHPian

Eyes closed go for the OLED. I would like to suggest to get an even bigger screen 65. It is quite big and truly immersive. For 50 incher only advantage is blacks are better in a OLED however for the immersive experience the bigger screen gives it an advantage. The brightness advantage of LEDs are obviously there but in real life I am not so sure it is required.

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. Have graduated from a Trinitron CRT>Wega CRT>32 inch LCD from Samsung>40 inch LED from Samsung>50inch Plasma LG>65 OLED LG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks