Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2008, 17:17   #1171
BHPian

Panasonic seems to have launched the TH-XXPV80H series in India. At least it now lists in their website. Not sure about the prices though. There doesnt seem to be any full HD model yet from this series.
Old 30th June 2008, 10:12   #1172
BHPian

Finally bit the bullet and bought the 42" panasonic PV7 plasma. 62k without exchange in ezone at Mumbai. spent a few hours in the shop looking at pretty much every LCD/plasma under 75k in the shop before deciding.
Old 30th June 2008, 11:47   #1173
Senior - BHPian

guys, any idea how is the sansui 324 32 inch lcd tv? price quoted was roughly around 25k, was thinking of going in for a panasonic flat screen crt tv for 15k, but this deal sounded good.
Old 30th June 2008, 12:06   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
guys, any idea how is the sansui 324 32 inch lcd tv? price quoted was roughly around 25k, was thinking of going in for a panasonic flat screen crt tv for 15k, but this deal sounded good.
32 Inches LCD for 25K, I doubt.
I can believe 26Inchers LCD can be given for 25K under exchange.

Anyone else can confirm this price of Sansui. I think Hard Rock 29'' CRT itself costs somewhere around 15K.
Old 30th June 2008, 12:18   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
Finally bit the bullet and bought the 42" panasonic PV7 plasma. 62k without exchange in ezone at Mumbai. spent a few hours in the shop looking at pretty much every LCD/plasma under 75k in the shop before deciding.
Congrats on your purchase. Looking for some more information regarding picture quality. I have decided on Panasonic or Pioneer Plasmas and deciding on what brand and what model to buy.
Old 30th June 2008, 16:28   #1176
BHPian

LCD TV are costly compared to LCD Monitors. The 22'' intex monitors cost 18k which has inbuilt TV Tuner card to view TV. Without TV Tuner card it costs 12.5 K and we can get a external TV Tuner card for 1K, so it comes to 13.5 K for a 22'' LCD.

I connected external TV Tuner card with my 17 '' CRT monitor, we could not feel that it was a PC.

Have anyone tried out this option to beat the price ?
Old 30th June 2008, 18:01   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Looking for some more information regarding picture quality. I have decided on Panasonic or Pioneer Plasmas and deciding on what brand and what model to buy.

Picture quality is pretty subjective. I'd suggest you go to a shop with a wide range, pick out the sets you're interested in, tune them to your preferences and compare them. The things to watch out for: motion trails, how black is black, colour shifts and shadows. I'm no expert on TV's. However, these are areas where there seemed to be differences among sets. Its pretty much a matter of personal choice on what looks good to you. Dont go by online reviews alone - your preferences might differ.

On the Pioneer, the quote I got for a 42" non full HD was 1L in the grey market. It was out of my budget so I never bothered to see it. The new series is full HD and starts at 50". For the Panasonic, there was hardly any difference between the grey market and b&w quotes on the 7 series. The new 8 series might be a different story.
Old 30th June 2008, 22:29   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
32 Inches LCD for 25K, I doubt.
I can believe 26Inchers LCD can be given for 25K under exchange.

Anyone else can confirm this price of Sansui. I think Hard Rock 29'' CRT itself costs somewhere around 15K.

it is a 32 incher and it retails for rs 29,990 here.found it ok. but got a better offer :a panasonic 32 inches (forgot the model number, sorry) lcd tv with tata sky (add on, already have a connection at home) for 38k all inclusive. it retails here for rs 37,990 under exchange.

Quote:
the pv7 is overall very good in terms of picture quality, my grandparents have been using one from past two months and are overall very happy with it.

dont know how far is this reasoning logical, but the picture quality seemed better after a few weeks of usage when compared to the first few days.

Last edited by aadix : 30th June 2008 at 22:35.
Old 4th July 2008, 16:48   #1179
BHPian

Not sure if many know this but Pioneer is on its way out of Plasma TV panel manufacturing.

Its is going to source panels from Panasonic which will emerge as the leading manufacturer of Plasma panels

ALso have been reading a bit about upcoming display technologies and have come to the conclusion that no clear 'perfect' technology seems on the horizon. LCD, Plasma, OLED, SED are going to exist simultaneously and whatever becomes popular will be based on practicality of manufacturing and servicing.

ALso expect Plasma TV prices to drop in about 8-10 months time. This is expected to make them more competitive via LCD's. ALso in terms of manufacturing issues i find Plasma's to be better placed with regards to LCD

IMO

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 4th July 2008 at 17:00.
Old 4th July 2008, 18:35   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if many know this but Pioneer is on its way out of Plasma TV panel manufacturing.
Does that matter? For all I can think of it will only be good for the customers...
Major LCD companies combined their production quiet a while back to cut cost and become more competitive.

Plasma mfg's were late on this, and it is good that Pio is now sourcing their panels from Pana. This would mean great Pana panels with great Pio image processing.

Just like Sony Bravia = Great Samsung Panel + great sony Bravia Image processing

Going by performance, Pioneer Kuro Plasma is the best TV out there. There is no competition even close to it. But unfortunately the same goes for price too, they are too expensive.
Old 4th July 2008, 20:17   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Does that matter? For all I can think of it will only be good for the customers...
Major LCD companies combined their production quiet a while back to cut cost and become more competitive.

Plasma mfg's were late on this, and it is good that Pio is now sourcing their panels from Pana. This would mean great Pana panels with great Pio image processing.

Just like Sony Bravia = Great Samsung Panel + great sony Bravia Image processing

Going by performance, Pioneer Kuro Plasma is the best TV out there. There is no competition even close to it. But unfortunately the same goes for price too, they are too expensive.
I agree and certainly hope so!

Plasma's will definately be the way to after the expected price drop (My opinion, based on economies of scale theory)

Also another interesting thing is a SONY promoted company recently was in news for buying a Toshiba factory and starting production of FED based displays..though diffrent it has mor in common with Plasma then LCD tech. I wonder why wud SONY do that. seems like they realise LCD wudn't last beyond 3 years

Elito
Old 4th July 2008, 22:01   #1182
BHPian

i thought Sony was banking on the new OLED stuff
Old 7th July 2008, 12:07   #1183
Senior - BHPian

OLED is still On, however, I guess no big mfg want to depend only on one emerging tech.
Moreover, Sony has faced a big setback in their initial 11" OLED launch, which faced lot of criticism from it's customer for poor life and after that they may just be wanting to de-risk further.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:34   #1184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
Congrats jaibir! AFAIK, there are 2 models of Panasonic in the 42" range--one has only 1 HVDI, while the other has 2. Which one did you go for?
Old 7th July 2008, 15:03   #1185
BHPian

PV8 is priced at about 73k in Bangalore. PV80 is about 90k.

Most Viewed