Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2024, 08:36   #10426
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Another query. Could a lot of the issues encountered with LED Tvs be due to voltage problems? Would using a old fashioned stablizer help? I remember using the thing three decades ago, not sure if any such thing is available nowadays. My area has a high voltage issue during night time (250+ volts).
Instead of stabilizer, I decided to use an UPS (as per TV power rating). Also connected set top box and wifi modem to it. My place sees frequent power cuts. Our society has generator but I wanted to prevent TV switching on and off frequently. This way, TV and other devices can stay on during outage/switching to generator, so no disruption while watching favorite programs!
It gives safety from power cuts as well voltage fluctuations.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 27th January 2024 at 08:43.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 12:14   #10427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Another query. Could a lot of the issues encountered with LED Tvs be due to voltage problems? Would using a old fashioned stablizer help? I remember using the thing three decades ago, not sure if any such thing is available nowadays. My area has a high voltage issue during night time (250+ volts).
Voltage stabiliser would be good to have. I bought one when I switched to LED TV in 2014. Touchwood I have had no issues with the TV while I have heard of TVs developing issues without one. I also brought one when I switched my old CRT in bedroom too to LED a few years back.

Should be available in any appliance or electrical stores or online. You can choose based on TV size.
Old 27th January 2024, 12:22   #10428
Oxy
BHPian

I have been using a Sony X90J (65 inches) on direct power (no UPS or Stabilizer). Had called the Sony support for recommended stabilizer/UPS capacity but was told that it isn't needed as the television itself comes with built in voltage surge protection.

But I somehow feel a stabilizer would be good to have for additional peace of mind so might end up buying one.

Also, when I purchased the television a couple of years ago, the default warranty was only for one year, and Sony's extended warranty costs an arm and a leg. Does anyone know of reliable external providers who can give me warranty at a reasonable price?

I have the same requirement for my Bosch refrigerator, i.e. need extended warranty for that as well.

Last edited by Oxy : 27th January 2024 at 12:23.
Old 13th February 2024, 04:07   #10429
BHPian

I have a 14 year old Panasonic plasma tv which is working fine. I rarely use it, once a month type to watch some sports.

Now I am thinking of a separate tv which will double as monitor, for bedroom/wfh desk. I would love to have a bigger size monitor, but can't figure out which tv is recommended for such dual usage. Budget is limited upto 40k.

Would love some advice.

Last edited by manolin : 13th February 2024 at 04:07. Reason: Last line added
Old 13th February 2024, 09:23   #10430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Does anyone know of reliable external providers who can give me warranty at a reasonable price?

I have the same requirement for my Bosch refrigerator, i.e. need extended warranty for that as well.
Try to get the warranty quote from Onsitego as well. I have a 4 year extended warranty for my Sony X85F and the panel has been replaced twice with no cost to me. The warranty itself cost me about 14-15k back in 2019.
TheDarkKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 10:48   #10431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Also, when I purchased the television a couple of years ago, the default warranty was only for one year, and Sony's extended warranty costs an arm and a leg. Does anyone know of reliable external providers who can give me warranty at a reasonable price?

I had purchased extended warranty for my VU Tv from flipkart at the time of purchasing the TV, it was serviced by Jeeves. The total warranty was 3 years (1 + 2), the Panel gave up somewhere in second year & since it was an expensive repair Jeeves guys took the TV and credited about 25-26k in my account, am not sure what the purchase price for the TV was but it was above 32k & under 38k, having squeezed the TV for nearly 1.5 years, I was happy with the refund. I doubt you'll be able to get Jeeves warranty.

You can check with on site go alternatively one assist, do check the serviceability in your area first.
montsa007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 19:42   #10432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a television most probably for the upcoming Flipkart / Amazon sale. The last and the current TV at home home is a 32" SONY Bravia 'V' series purchased in 2008! Back then SONY Bravia had launched these new LCD series and had cost me some 55k INR.

I've connected the Mi TV 4k Box to this TV and does a pretty well job of streaming all the necessary OTT stuff.

There's nothing wrong with the TV to say; but it's just the itch now to upgrade to something newer and better; also in terms of the screen size. Having said that, given my viewing distance and the area to mount the TV, I can go max upto 43" in screen size.

Like I mentioned, the last TV I purchased was 15 years ago, so needless to say that I'm completely out of sync with the latest tech here. Hence, requesting your suggestions and inputs to help me pick a good TV.

Requirments if I may,
- Latest screen along the likes of LED , 4k or whatever that this latest for now.
- Smart TV capable of running everything on the OTT, YouTube, etc. or whatever latest software tech that is currently.
- Good design, slim bezels, etc. (subjective though)
- Good Sound. Not quite a necessity as I am planning to connect a soundbar.
- Preferred brands - SONY, Samsung. I know these brands make good TV's; no idea about the rest, if they do.

Also, would be it advisable to exchange my current TV for the new one? There's absolutely no issues iwht my current TV for now.
Reposting this query ; it would be great if you'll could provide some inputs.

Thanks!
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 10:23   #10433
BHPian

^Do you have a budget in mind?
I would recommend the LG 42" C2 or C3. Nothing to beat OLED IMO, and as you keep your TVs for a long time, why not future-proof yourself?
bhairavp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 11:47   #10434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhairavp View Post
^Do you have a budget in mind?
I would recommend the LG 42" C2 or C3. Nothing to beat OLED IMO, and as you keep your TVs for a long time, why not future-proof yourself?
Well , since I am buying a TV after nearly 16 years , I wouldn’t mind spending something around 60k INR. I’ll be going the online route , preferably Amazon ; so I’m anticipating some good discounts and can stretch my budget a little.

The viewing distance is ~ 8 – 10 ft , so I presume a 50 inch , max would suffice? Or should I go for a 55 inch?
43 inch wouldn't be that 'significant' an upgrade I think? Or maybe I'm wrong.

And yes , I would definitely need a future proof TV. I’m completely noob in this regard though ; hence , need some help here.

Since SONY has been serving me really well for all these years , I would prefer a SONY ; surely they’re expensive , but than they also last that long.

I really don’t have any idea / experience with LG , Samsung or any other brand for that matter.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 19th March 2024 at 11:49.
Old 19th March 2024, 12:09   #10435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well , since I am buying a TV after nearly 16 years , I wouldn’t mind spending something around 60k INR. I’ll be going the online route , preferably Amazon ; so I’m anticipating some good discounts and can stretch my budget a little.

The viewing distance is ~ 8 – 10 ft , so I presume a 50 inch , max would suffice? Or should I go for a 55 inch?
43 inch wouldn't be that 'significant' an upgrade I think? Or maybe I'm wrong.

And yes , I would definitely need a future proof TV. I’m completely noob in this regard though ; hence , need some help here.

Since SONY has been serving me really well for all these years , I would prefer a SONY ; surely they’re expensive , but than they also last that long.

I really don’t have any idea / experience with LG , Samsung or any other brand for that matter.
Get the 55 inch. I have same viewing distance as yours and I am using 55 inch since last 5 years or so. In fact I am contemplating getting a 65 inch once the need arises.

I will recommend Sony X82L. It's right now at 82k on Amazon. In last sale it came down to 71k. If you can wait till Prime day sale in June you may get it for around 65k.

Other good option is LG Nano 73 online. Or LG nano 83 if buying offline. Few days back Reliance guys made me offer of 57k after card cashback for LG Nano83.

Samsung does not offer dolby vision so better stick with Sony and LG. As you keep tvs longer I will suggest only buy the Qleds. Sony calls it Triluminous and LG calls it Nanocell.

Better check places like Reliance, Vijay sales etc. You can compare tvs and they offer similar deals like online.

Personally I prefer Sony as I have a Sony 55 inch since 2018 serving me quite well. The PQ is definitely better than my LG and Samsung.

Last edited by harry10 : 19th March 2024 at 12:11.
Old 19th March 2024, 12:27   #10436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Personally I prefer Sony as I have a Sony 55 inch since 2018 serving me quite well. The PQ is definitely better than my LG and Samsung.
Great inputs Harry , many thanks!

You’re right , I was thinking of getting the 50” ; but the price jump to 55” isn’t much and if viewing distance is suitable , 55” makes sense. Also , Sony and few other brands don’t offer much in 50” sizes.

I just read through some posts and see that the latest hi-tech displays like the OLEDs , QLEDs give up in 3–4 years!! Even brands like SONY. This is concerning. I want something to last as much as my current Bravia , if not more.

I shall check the offline stores too , just to have a look at the displays / viewing experience and their respective offers.

I’m in no rush as such and can hold on till May / June.

P. S.: The current 32” Bravia ‘V’ TV + Mi TV Box will move to the bedroom. I’m not giving this away under any circumstances.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 19th March 2024 at 12:30.
Old 19th March 2024, 12:37   #10437
BHPian

Quote:
I’ll be going the online route , preferably Amazon ; so I’m anticipating some good discounts and can stretch my budget a little.

43 inch wouldn't be that 'significant' an upgrade I think?
I don't trust these online e-commerce portals one bit, for high-value purchases. Would recommend you to check offline at Reliance Digital, Croma etc. These retailers can offer really sweet discounts, coupled with credit card offers etc. Especially if you are making a purchase in the last few days of a month.

A 55-inch would definitely do justice for your requirement, plus the price delta is not much over 50-inchers.

As far as panel quality is concerned, frankly speaking, none of the current lot of TVs are as good as our earlier ones. Maybe a 5 to 7 year period would be decent enough to expect for the current ones to last. Been hearing of multiple issues with LG/Samsung TVs; would recommend sticking to Sony. In case you are okay with a little step-down, VU offers really good quality too, plus good service.
IamNikhil is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed