Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2024, 14:43   #10441
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
If the shelf life of TV panels has come down so drastically, I don't see the point of spending too much (a lakh seems to be par for a new TV of late - a typical 55-65" AMOLED).
Unfortunately this is true.

For reference I am on a hunt to replace my 16 - year old Bravia LCD TV.

The sales guy at Croma clearly told me not to expect LCD type longevity with today’s LED’s , even SONY for that matter. They last 5 - 7 years at best !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
I have found Reliance Digital, Girias or Adishwar offer lower price than the online portals. All of these retailers also act as first point of contact for any service and its always re-assuring.
Agree on this !

Infact Croma offered my ~ 10 k less than Amazon / Flipkart (including all discounts) for the same TV.

So yeah , do check these retailers and their best discounts, before buying from online.

Ofcourse, the Amazon / Flipkart will possibly have an edge during their yearly sales.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 11:30   #10442
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This horizontal line just popped up on my LG LED tv (43”, bought in June 2017) a few weeks back.
UPDATE:

Thanks to excellent advice from bblost and Eddy, I scheduled a TV repair appointment with Urban Company. The technician mentioned that this issue was most likely due to shorting on the IC contact. He opened up the TV to check for which side had a problem (left or right, by disconnecting the connectors one by one). Once he identified that the problem was only on one side, he seemed confident that it could be resolved by carrying out bonding again. If not, a panel change would be required. Further, I'd have to pay for it (re-bonding), only if the problem was resolved.

He took the TV to his workshop for what Urban Company calls as "Panel Repair by bonding machine", and by evening, sent confirmation that it had resolved the issue.

With this repair that cost 5.1k, the TV is back to normal. Even if this repair holds good for ~ 1 year, I think it is entirely worth the spend considering cost of a panel at 20k, or a new TV at least at 60k. Exchange values for working TVs are a abysmal 2k, and Rs. 500 for non-working units!
libranof1987 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 19:01   #10443
BHPian

Quick advice guys ,

Has anybody bought the latest QNED 83 TV from LG? (Pic below)

I’m confused between SONY X82L 55” (2023) and LG QNED 83 55” (2024)

This is the latest from LG in their QNED series & upgrade to the QNED 81 (2023). Apparently , the latest model supports Dolby audio & video.
It also boasts of 120 hz refresh rate.

However , a drawback would be the WebOS with only pre-installed apps and no provision to download like the Google TV.

When compared side-by-side , the LG seems to have relatively better picture quality to Sony.

However , the LG falls short on the audio output clarity. Sony is quite superior. But this can be addressed with a good soundbar.

I’ve never used an LG branded TV , hence in a but of conundrum whether to pick this against the Sony ; even though Sony’s is a last year’s model & they’re yet to launch their 2024 series.

Pricing-wise both are nearly identical after all the store & card discounts , i.e. ~ 76k INR something.

Hoping there might be better offers this week due to Gudi Pawda.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_4049.jpeg

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 7th April 2024 at 19:03.
Old 8th April 2024, 11:48   #10444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I’m confused between SONY X82L 55” (2023) and LG QNED 83 55” (2024)

This is the latest from LG in their QNED series & upgrade to the QNED 81 (2023). Apparently , the latest model supports Dolby audio & video.
That's not the latest from LG, that's a 2023 model with Alpha 7 Gen 6 processor but launched in India this year. The latest 2024 model comes with Alpha 8 AI processor.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-screenshot_20240408112531.png  

Old 8th April 2024, 13:19   #10445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
The latest 2024 model comes with Alpha 8 AI processor.
So , are these TV's available yet in India?

I doubled check with Croma now , they're saying that the QND 83 is the latest they've received as on today.

The Alpha 8 architecture is for slightly premium TV , higher up the price range.

EDIT: Well , LG premium TV's are already on 'α9 Gen5 AI Processor 8K' architecture.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 8th April 2024 at 13:41.
Old 8th April 2024, 13:54   #10446
BHPian

Quote:
Quick advice guys ,

Has anybody bought the latest QNED 83 TV from LG? (Pic below)
Till Jan '23 I had only one TV - an eight year old 50" Sony Bravia K-something series. New TV bug bit me. Bought LG UQ7500 and at the same time my wife got a Mi TV from her company, it was some qLED TV; both 55". So with these two TVs, LG in living room and Mi in another room; we packed the Sony TV which we thought we'll hand it down to our in-laws.

LG had a decent picture quality and pathetic sound quality which we were able to solve with a sound bar. But the worse thing in LG was the webOS. So limiting. And the contrast and brightness was always way of in the recommended modes, we always had to spend a few minutes to get the setting right (this could be because of our house lighting too). We stopped watching content on LG and switched the Mi TV to the living room.

Mi had great sound and google OS, but even though it was a qLed the PQ was below par. Somehow lived with it for a few months. We hated watching all the low-light, shot in the dark content, which is a very common thing in film-making nowadays, on these TVs.

Also, I play PS5 regularly. I was missing the Sony+PS sync.

About a few weeks back, we just decided and sold them out. The 50" was back in the bedroom and we bought a new 82L for the living room. Life is so good now. We've finished or rewatched a lot of content that felt mediocre on the two TVs mentioned above. And I enjoy playing my PS5 on either of the TVs - yes, my eight year old Sony gives a better gameplay sense than these two new ones.

Go for Sony unless you're absolutely sure, or thrilled or gobsmacked rather, about LG.

Last edited by ampere : 20th April 2024 at 19:12. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
creative420 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 16:41   #10447
BHPian

The biggest drawback of LG TVs is the WebOS! Given a choice between LG and Sony, shut your eyes and opt for Sony. Better picture clarity and reproduction of colours.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 17:51   #10448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Till Jan '23 I had only one TV - an eight year old 50" Sony Bravia K-something series. New TV bug bit me.
Well , I'm in the exact same boat. I'm too planning to replace a perfectly working 16 years old Bravia V series LCD TV , albeit a 32". It's just the TV size that is an issue , sadly.

Quote:
LG had a decent picture quality and pathetic sound quality which we were able to solve with a sound bar.
True. Like I mentioned earlier, the LG QNED 83 has a relatively better PQ & poor SQ than the Sony's X82L. Now , Idk if the showroom / store folks had tweaked the colours on the LG to make it more appealing.

Quote:
But the worse thing in LG was the webOS. So limiting.
Exactly my concern. Google TV OS is a complete 'open / free' OS and I have been using the version 9 via the Mi TV Box. No complaints.

Quote:
Also, I play PS5 regularly. I was missing the Sony+PS sync.
Thanks for pointing this out. I intend to get one down the line. So , a plus for SONY here.

Quote:
we bought a new 82L for the living room. Life is so good now. We've finished or rewatched a lot of content that felt mediocre on the two TVs mentioned above.

Quote:
Go for Sony unless you're absolutely sure, or thrilled or gobsmacked rather, about LG.
Haha. No , not really. Infact I was stuck on Sony. It' just that the folks at Croma put this in my head by putting the two TV's side-by-side.

As a matter of fact , I just got an update from the Reliance Digital and they've come up with revised offers for Gudi Padwa -

X82L - just dropped by 1-1.5k something. So it retails nearly at same i.e. 76k INR.

Whereas , LG QNED 83 which was 76k INR after discounts has been dropped down to 71k INR. And THIS being just a month old model i.e. 2024 release ; whereas , X82L is almost a year old now , I think.

This , I think goes to say a lot about the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
The biggest drawback of LG TVs is the WebOS! Given a choice between LG and Sony, shut your eyes and opt for Sony. Better picture clarity and reproduction of colours.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 19:16   #10449
BHPian

Quote:
So , are these TV's available yet in India?

I doubled check with Croma now , they're saying that the QND 83 is the latest they've received as on today.

The Alpha 8 architecture is for slightly premium TV , higher up the price range.

EDIT: Well , LG premium TV's are already on 'α9 Gen5 AI Processor 8K' architecture.
I don't think they will release their latest QNED TVs in India anytime soon considering they have released last year's models in January 2024. You can read more about their 2024 line-up here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/eftm.co...low-243269/amp
Old 9th April 2024, 10:58   #10450
BHPian

Guys can I connect and use a webcam with these new gen google tvs for a zoom/google meet video calls? I am checking Vu/Hisense google tvs.
Old 14th April 2024, 14:03   #10451
BHPian

Sony is set to unveil it’s 2024 TV line up in this week , precisely on the 17th April.

Those looking to pick up a Sony TV can probably hold on and check the new line up.

However, it’ll take a month atleast for these new models to arrive at your nearest store.

Chances are also high to get some good discounts on some of 2023 models post the launch of 2024 series.

For instance , currently the 2023 models - x82L and x90L are retailing at 72.5k and 1.02 L INR respectively including card discounts at SONY store.
Croma , Reliance , FK & even AMAZON are priced higher than this.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 17:29   #10452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:

Thanks to excellent advice from bblost and Eddy, I scheduled a TV repair appointment with Urban Company.
With this repair that cost 5.1k, the TV is back to normal. Even if this repair holds good for ~ 1 year, I think it is entirely worth the spend considering cost of a panel at 20k, or a new TV at least at 60k. Exchange values for working TVs are a abysmal 2k, and Rs. 500 for non-working units!
Thanks for posting this update here and proxy thanks to bblost and Eddy too.
I had an almost similar issue with several lines and the picture continuously shaking and jumping. This was an LG 55 inch TV bought in 2017. LG Service immediately said the panel needs to be replaced and said the cost would be 35k. I was wondering what to do and came across this post. Scheduled an appointment with Urban Company. The guy who came said that it is definitely a panel issue, but he has a work around which he has done in several LG TVs. As per him there maybe 2-3 pins that feed data to the display that have shorted- even if we disable them, you should be able to get the full picture without any issues. Or max have 1-2 lines. I told him to go ahead and he identified 2-3 pins that were shorted. The solution-Cover them with masking tape!! Connected everything back and picture is back to normal with no deficiencies.

Cost was 3500/-. He did say to run the TV for 10-15 hours but was confident that it will work and continue working for a few years.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks