Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 00:53   #1531
BHPian

Even I am facing the same issue as vvrchandra,I ain't using BigTv but TataSky,the problem is with the channel logos,a way I sort this issue is I play a channel for 15-20 minutes using the zoom option and make sure there aren't any still images .
Old 6th October 2008, 00:58   #1532
BHPian

guys to clarify - this is not a problem, it will stay for sometime (2 mins or so) and then go away. However in the first 100 hrs if you keep a constant image at a stretch for 8-9 hrs and keep doing it regularly, you may end up with an image for the life of the tv.
After the first 100 hrs, the phosphors are set and you don't need to worry that much. I already use my plasma as a computer screen and for tons of gaming and have no problems, apart from the rare 2-3 min image retention.
Also - in the first 100hrs as a precaution, I followed DVR's method as mentioned above when watching some movies or channels with very bright and constant text or logos. I used to change the aspect ratio so that the logo or text went out of display area.

Last edited by jassi : 6th October 2008 at 01:01.
Old 6th October 2008, 08:55   #1533
BHPian

Well, i started having this issue only when I started using BIG TV and that too I noticed it yesteday only. When I used hathway set top box earlier on my 42PV80, i did not have any issues. Even, I kept the picture mode in cinema mode for more than 100 hours (bought my tv on 8-Aug-08) and big tv was installed only on 22-Sep-08. Since the tv is on for 8 to 10 hours(avg) to 12 hours(occasionally), and the BIG TV logo is present on all the channels at the same location, what do you suggest me or in what way can I avoid this to the max possible extent? Zooming the channels so that the BIG TV logo is not present on the screen is some what helpful, but the image appears out of proportion sometimes. Any other better way to avoid this..please..

Last edited by vvrchandra : 6th October 2008 at 08:56.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:20   #1534
BHPian

Also, where can I get the 'Display calibration DVDs to set the optimum brightness and contrast' settings on my plasma so that the image retention can be reduced?
Old 6th October 2008, 20:47   #1535
BHPian

Need help

I am planning buy lcd/plasma.

Last week visited Panasonic dealer and eZone in Koramangala.

Looked at 42PV80H, asked the person at shop to switch to sports channel and watched F1 live (Singapore GP, the first under the lights) for few mins. I could see the small square patches on screen. When I questioned, the guy told me that single TATA Sky connection is provided for all the TVs, and that is causing this. Is that true for Plasma's? There was 42PV700 (Full HD) TV next to it, which looked lot better than PV80.

Then went to eZone, and asked them to switch to F1 and observered that Sony-40v400 and Samsung 40A650 almost similar and didnt like what I saw. I could see more number of square patches on this.

Now I am really confused which one to buy. As Pan 42PV80H is not full HD, and if in next one year if we get HD feed from satellite broadcasters, am I going to loose something? Or, go for Full HD LCDs?
Old 6th October 2008, 22:08   #1536
BHPian

Whats the price for the pv700 full hd,and pv80 wou were offered
Old 7th October 2008, 00:38   #1537
BHPian

i saw the f1 race on my pv80h - no patches - i use hathway and have used tatasky in the past with no probs
Old 7th October 2008, 01:57   #1538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post

Looked at 42PV80H, asked the person at shop to switch to sports channel and watched F1 live (Singapore GP, the first under the lights) for few mins. I could see the small square patches on screen. When I questioned, the guy told me that single TATA Sky connection is provided for all the TVs, and that is causing this. Is that true for Plasma's? There was 42PV700 (Full HD) TV next to it, which looked lot better than PV80.

Then went to eZone, and asked them to switch to F1 and observered that Sony-40v400 and Samsung 40A650 almost similar and didnt like what I saw. I could see more number of square patches on this.

Now I am really confused which one to buy. As Pan 42PV80H is not full HD, and if in next one year if we get HD feed from satellite broadcasters, am I going to loose something? Or, go for Full HD LCDs?

Go Full HD only if you're planning to buy anything over 42'' and your viewing distance is atleast 10 feet. Anything below that there is no noticeable difference in HD Ready and Full HD. I'd recommend the Sony Bravia Range of LCD's as the first choice over Samsung. I've heard Samsung makes those panels for Sony, but the picture quality of the new Samsung line is grainy and the blacks are not the best.
Old 7th October 2008, 12:08   #1539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1xlr8 View Post
Whats the price for the pv700 full hd,and pv80 wou were offered
PV80H - 68K.
PV700 - 1.3 Lacs.
Old 7th October 2008, 12:10   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i saw the f1 race on my pv80h - no patches - i use hathway and have used tatasky in the past with no probs
Thats a good news. But I feel that I have to see it working. I have to find someone who is using this TV and watch few channels and then make decision.
Old 7th October 2008, 12:39   #1541

Samsung

I recently purchased Samsung 46'-5 series model and i must tel you that it has fantastic picture quality...People say Sony is better only because of the Brand name but all you are doing by purchasing sony is purchasing the brand name...same lcd of sony would cost around a lakh or so but i got my samsung for 85,000 contrast ratio of 30,000:1. if u go in for samsung 6-series you will get contrast ratio of 50,000:1 but u pay 20,000-30,000 more for that.

When you see the LCD's in the showroom you will be able to see the difference between 5 and 6 series when they are put side-by-side. But at home no one will be able to tell if u got 6 or 5 series. As far as i know sony doesnt give contrast ratio of 50,000:1.

buy Sony if you are brand concious or else go in for Samsung which gives Value for money
Old 7th October 2008, 17:06   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post

Selective, it's got nothing to do with Full HD or HD ready Tvs. It's got everything to do with the DTH signal quality in India. The small square patches that you were seeing when close is pixellation that is visible in DTH signals, especially Tata Sky and I believe the others are not that different. Also, showrooms bump up the contrast and brightness to maximum and that makes this issue worse.
New plasma's or LCD's are hi-definition TVs (whether Full HD 1080p or just HD 720p). The DTH signal in India is below even standard definition. I define standard definition as DVD quality (480p). All those TVs you saw are fine. Give them a good signal and they will give you a good picture. Go back to the shops you went to and ask them to play a DVD on those TVs and see the difference for yourself.
I have a Sony Bravia LCD and Tata Sky. The pixellation issue bothered me at first as well. But you don't see it much at normal viewing distance i.e. a few feet away. And you'll see less of it when you reduce the contrast, brightness and other settings to suit the lighting in your home. Don't worry about it and buy the TV you want.
It'll be a while before good HD programming is available in India. I suggest save the extra money you'll spend on a Full HD set and go with the cheaper HD ready option because you really can't exploit a full HD tv's abilities here.

Last edited by StarScream : 7th October 2008 at 17:17.
Old 7th October 2008, 17:13   #1543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etch View Post
I recently purchased Samsung 46'-5 series model and i must tel you that it has fantastic picture quality...People say Sony is better only because of the Brand name but all you are doing by purchasing sony is purchasing the brand name...same lcd of sony would cost around a lakh or so but i got my samsung for 85,000 contrast ratio of 30,000:1. if u go in for samsung 6-series you will get contrast ratio of 50,000:1 but u pay 20,000-30,000 more for that.

When you see the LCD's in the showroom you will be able to see the difference between 5 and 6 series when they are put side-by-side. But at home no one will be able to tell if u got 6 or 5 series. As far as i know sony doesnt give contrast ratio of 50,000:1.

buy Sony if you are brand concious or else go in for Samsung which gives Value for money
etch, Im glad you're happy with your purchase. At the end of the day that's what matters. BTW contrast ratio is a pretty meaningless benchmark. It's like PMPO in music systems - each manufacturer puts his own and the numbers are not stricitly comparable between different makes.
I'm one of those `brand conscious' people who bought a Sony Bravia last year. The toss up was between a Samsung Bordeaux and the Sony. The reason I went for the latter was because of its significantly better sound quality. The Samsung was quite anemic and tinny sounding. Perhaps they've improved!
Old 7th October 2008, 17:26   #1544
BHPian

@selective - I am not sure what you saw at the panny stores, however as per my experience, having used a sony bravia and panny 42pv80h, the plasmas are much better at handling regular cable/dth signals. The only thing that comes close to plasmas are the Sony bravia SXRDs.
However at the shops they split signals between 10 tvs using really long cables and hence the quality is bad irrespective of plasma or lcd.
I am currently on travel, but I am sure in the meanwhile you can find one of the many recent pv80 buyers to help you with a visit
As starscream said, full hd doesn't really matter at 42".

@etch - Also for lcds the contrast ratios are nothing but dynamic contrast ratio. You need to check the panels contrast ratio and I can guarantee you it will be no where close to the plasmas. LCDs have still not reached the black levels on plasmas. However if i ever get back to LCDs, i am sure it is going to be sony and not samsung. the panel is the same, but the bravia engine on the sony is much better in color reproduction!!

Last edited by jassi : 7th October 2008 at 17:29.
Old 7th October 2008, 17:34   #1545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
..I am currently on travel..
Jassi, Are you using your mobile for posting since you are on travel?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks